Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Scoots1994
Pro Prospect
And1: 102

Re: At full strength the current roster is close to best 

Post#61 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:58 am

Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Coxy wrote:I’m looking at this roster, and we really suck at the 3 right now. I’ll accept all scorn thrown my way for suggesting this, but surely we could do worse than plugging Melo into the 3 spot for the 1st half of the season if he can buy into a 3 and D role, until Klay comes back.

Anyone?

I guess you're ready to cut McKinnie. I'd have to object to that.

Evans can pack his bags.

The team has said multiple times that they are committed to developing their young players and you want to cut a 2nd year player for Melo who is so bad he got 10 games before he was cut and nobody picked him up. I'm not seeing it.
xdrta+
Starter
And1: 1,289

Post#62 » by xdrta+ » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:29 am

Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Evans can pack his bags.

Wouldn't work. You waive Evans guaranteed salary, you don't have room to sign another minimum contract. Waiving McKinnie's non-guaranteed contract is the only way.

Yeah OK I guess not then.

Can't we cut someone else? Lee?

Lee is on a two-way contract, it doesn't count against the cap. Waiving him gains nothing. The Warriors have 13 guaranteed contracts, and 1 non-guaranteed (McKinnie.) They are so close to the hard cap line that the only other way they can cut salary is to trade down--send out more salary than they take back. I doubt there would be a trade before Dec 15.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 8,591

Post#63 » by Coxy » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:43 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Coxy wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Wouldn't work. You waive Evans guaranteed salary, you don't have room to sign another minimum contract. Waiving McKinnie's non-guaranteed contract is the only way.

Yeah OK I guess not then.

Can't we cut someone else? Lee?

Lee is on a two-way contract, it doesn't count against the cap. Waiving him gains nothing. The Warriors have 13 guaranteed contracts, and 1 non-guaranteed (McKinnie.) They are so close to the hard cap line that the only other way they can cut salary is to trade down--send out more salary than they take back. I doubt there would be a trade before Dec 15.

OK cool, thx.
“Our guys are f*%#ing giants” - Steve Kerr after Game 5 Victory
killmongrel
Senior
And1: 236

Post#64 » by killmongrel » Wed Aug 7, 2019 8:39 am

The roster is fine at the moment. There's nothing they can do/add etc that'll be significant. Stay put for now. See how the players on the team works out. Make a decision on Spellman's 3rd year by Oct. 31st. Make a decision on McKinnie by January. And then see what they have to do to get in on the buyout market. Might be some interesting names. Even though chances are Klay will be back after ASB, Danilo Gallinari would be an interesting candidate. If Klay doesn't play, Danilo might consider the Ws since he'd have a starting role. That is of course if OKC buys him out. Aside from that, team should be good.
Mac1958
Senior
And1: 137

Post#65 » by Mac1958 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 12:53 pm

Considering the horror show that was Durant's exit and those two season-killing injuries, I don't think the FO could have done a better job than it has done. And it's still early.
Scoots1994
Pro Prospect
And1: 102

Post#66 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:41 pm

killmongrel wrote:The roster is fine at the moment. There's nothing they can do/add etc that'll be significant. Stay put for now. See how the players on the team works out. Make a decision on Spellman's 3rd year by Oct. 31st. Make a decision on McKinnie by January. And then see what they have to do to get in on the buyout market. Might be some interesting names. Even though chances are Klay will be back after ASB, Danilo Gallinari would be an interesting candidate. If Klay doesn't play, Danilo might consider the Ws since he'd have a starting role. That is of course if OKC buys him out. Aside from that, team should be good.

The Warriors could offer Gallinari limited minutes to maximize his health ... he would be a great addition.

Considering what the Warriors had to work with, that SF is a very expensive position in the NBA right now, that there was a ton of money available in the NBA this offseason to compete with (and driving marginal players salary up), that no good players want to be "the player who replaced KD", and that the pool to choose from this offseason at that position was pathetic, I think the team did a hell of a job.

Return to Golden State Warriors