ImageImageImageImageImage

Marquese Chriss officially a Warrior

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Re: Marquese Chriss officially a Warrior 

Post#61 » by Samurai » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:29 am

Mylie10 wrote:Some Chriss talk. And a possible trade?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/Marquese-Chriss-the-surprise-of-camp-14518882.php

If it were me I'd first try to trade Burks. Very very unlikely I realize.

Next on the list is Evans. And with his strong summer league and decent preseason so far, he might have just a bit of value to get a deal done.

Maybe the Hawks help us out again.

I know everyone is going to say McKinnie, but I choose elite rebounding from the small forward spot, and the ability to guard a few 4's, is something needed. Only Draymond and Paschall are the other guys that can guard 3's and 4's.

I don't think the Dubs would prefer to trade Evans. He is making improvements over last season (granted, that is an extremely low bar) but as long as he is improving I think the team wants to see what his ceiling can be. He was drafted because he had the potential to be an Iggy-lite (high bbIQ, good defense, can bring the ball up the court). I don't know if he can truly fill that role, but I don't see anyone else on the roster that even has that potential. Burks was acquired to be our "microwave shooter" off the bench; with Poole filling that role so well this pre-season, he may be able to take Burks' minutes. And Burks is a veteran so another team may be more willing to take a chance on him whereas Evans has no track record.

Been a little disappointed with Alfonzo so far; I was hoping to see him show a little progress over the summer. But rebounding is still a potential trouble spot for us so he does fill a need for us.

So I agree with you that I'd try to trade Burks first.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#62 » by xdrta+ » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:32 am

They can't trade Burks until Dec 15, even if they found a taker. As for Evans, that looks like a tough trade to make. I'm afraid the Warriors would have to sweeten the deal quite a bit. I think the only practical way to keep Chriss is to cut McKinnie. I wouldn't like to see him go, but I think it would have to be that way.

What I can't find out is if Chriss has an Exhibit 10 clause in his contract. The team doesn't put out that info. If he does though, the team has the option to convert his contract to a two-way which would bind him for the year. That would be best, but even though Exhibit 10s are pretty standard in camp deals, he may not have one.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#63 » by Samurai » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:37 am

xdrta+ wrote:They can't trade Burks until Dec 15, even if they found a taker. As for Evans, that looks like a tough trade to make. I'm afraid the Warriors would have to sweeten the deal quite a bit. I think the only practical way to keep Chriss is to cut McKinnie. I wouldn't like to see him go, but I think it would have to be that way.

What I can't find out is if Chriss has an Exhibit 10 clause in his contract. The team doesn't put out that info. If he does though, the team has the option to convert his contract to a two-way which would bind him for the year. That would be best, but even though Exhibit 10s are pretty standard in camp deals, he may not have one.

Chriss said he was open to a 2-way contract if nothing else is available. I'm guessing/assuming he wouldn't have said that unless he was eligible for one.

https://clutchpoints.com/warriors-news-marquese-chriss-open-2-way-contract-with-golden-state-nothing-else-available/
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,744

Post#64 » by azwfan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:37 am

If Chriss has earned a guaranteed spot, I'd drop McKinnie in a second over trading one of our guaranteed contracts.
If we drop McKinnie, then we can sign Toscano-Anderson to a 2-way over Bowman.

My thinking is this...

Even though we are light at SF, its not like McKinnie is making that group significantly better than it would be without him. JTA could easily be just as effective, maybe even more so. And if not, <insert name of available 2-way wing here> could be as good or "good enough". I just don't think McKinnie is significantly better than borderline NBAers.

McKinnie's primary contribution is rebounding, and that is great. I love the offensive rebounds he got us throughout last season and even in the playoffs. But he's not a very good defender, and not a very good shooter. In fact, the only NBA-quality skill he has is rebounding for a SF. Again, that is good and all, but i certainly wouldn't sacrifice any cost controlled youngster to keep him. JTA is a defender and solid rebounder (NBA quality is TBD). He's also 2-way eligible and could give us spot minutes if we need it, until enough of the season has gone by whereby we can have enough space to sign a him, Lee, or a vet.

Trading Evans or Spellman is an option, but I wouldn't do that unless we're getting something pretty good in return (which is doubtful). I definitely wouldn't pay to get rid of them or anyone.

GR3, Paschall, <nobody>
is only slightly worse than
GR3, McKinnie, Paschall

For additional wing minutes, until Klay comes back (and until we can sign someone to a 'rest of the year contract'), we can throw JTA, Lee, Poole, or Evans out there. They are all smallish wings who i could conceivably see playing some minutes at SF.

May be off topic, but man is the Burks signing not looking good so far. This dude just cannot stay healthy. When you have a hard-capped team, that is unable to fill the 15th roster spot, and with a guy out half the year, availability is huge.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#65 » by xdrta+ » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:37 am

Samurai wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:They can't trade Burks until Dec 15, even if they found a taker. As for Evans, that looks like a tough trade to make. I'm afraid the Warriors would have to sweeten the deal quite a bit. I think the only practical way to keep Chriss is to cut McKinnie. I wouldn't like to see him go, but I think it would have to be that way.

Chriss said he was open to a 2-way contract if nothing else is available. I'm guessing/assuming he wouldn't have said that unless he was eligible for one.

https://clutchpoints.com/warriors-news-marquese-chriss-open-2-way-contract-with-golden-state-nothing-else-available/

Oh, he's eligible, it's just that if he has an exhibit 10 contract, which is pretty standard for camp deals, the Warriors could convert his contract to a 2-way deal on their own--he wouldn't have a say in it. But he probably doesn't, since it seems to be up in the air.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#66 » by Mylie10 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:41 am

I heard they didn't sign him to an exhibit 10, and that they would have to expose him first, and then sign him to a 2 way if he were eligible.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#67 » by xdrta+ » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:34 am

Mylie10 wrote:I heard they didn't sign him to an exhibit 10, and that they would have to expose him first, and then sign him to a 2 way if he were eligible.

Since they have to waive him before signing him to a two-way, there's no reason another team with a roster spot couldn't claim him. It's a minimum salary so no cap space is needed. The only way to be absolutely sure of keeping him would be to replace McKinnie with him. The Warriors missed a bet if they didn't include an Exhibit 10 in his contract.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#68 » by Phase 3 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:51 am

They should keep him on the regular roster. Find a way to make it work Bob. He’s more talented than most of the bench guys on this team.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#69 » by xdrta+ » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:38 pm

Phase 3 wrote:They should keep him on the regular roster. Find a way to make it work Bob. He’s more talented than most of the bench guys on this team.

They have until Saturday, and 3 games to look things over, but I'm predicting they replace McKinnie with Chriss. A lot of upside there that you don't see with McKinnie.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#70 » by Samurai » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:52 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Phase 3 wrote:They should keep him on the regular roster. Find a way to make it work Bob. He’s more talented than most of the bench guys on this team.

They have until Saturday, and 3 games to look things over, but I'm predicting they replace McKinnie with Chriss. A lot of upside there that you don't see with McKinnie.

If we do that, then we start the season with just one SF, GR3, who has only averaged 20 minutes/game once in his career. Our other choices are to put a PF like Paschall there or go small with Poole. Not even counting Burks since he is never healthy enough to play.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#71 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:38 pm

McKinnie did not just rebound. There were times last seasons where McKinnie was the only guy hustling. To go with the Curry, Draymond, Klay core, the Warriors have gathered a bunch of guys with talent who have underachieved. The Warriors work ethic culture is in jepordy. Beyond Curry, Klay, Draymond, Looney and McKinnie I don't really trust the other guys. Some have not proven they have NBA talent and the others have not proven that they are willing to play hard.

McKinnie has marginal NBA talent but I trust that he will play hard.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#72 » by whatisacenter » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:15 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:McKinnie did not just rebound. There were times last seasons where McKinnie was the only guy hustling. To go with the Curry, Draymond, Klay core, the Warriors have gathered a bunch of guys with talent who have underachieved. The Warriors work ethic culture is in jepordy. Beyond Curry, Klay, Draymond, Looney and McKinnie I don't really trust the other guys. Some have not proven they have NBA talent and the others have not proven that they are willing to play hard.

McKinnie has marginal NBA talent but I trust that he will play hard.

I would rather take my chances starting the season with a three guard lineup than with a team depending on Spellman and Looney at the center position. If Chriss continues to play within the offense, I want him on the team.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#73 » by xdrta+ » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:18 pm

Samurai wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

If we do that, then we start the season with just one SF, GR3, who has only averaged 20 minutes/game once in his career. Our other choices are to put a PF like Paschall there or go small with Poole. Not even counting Burks since he is never healthy enough to play.

I mostly agree, they may well need McKinnie, but it depends how badly they want to keep Chriss. They could put him on waivers, hope no one claims him, and give him Bowman's 2way. Problem is, with a non-guaranteed contract, it's not much of a gamble for someone to claim him. They could try to trade Evans or Spellman, but with 29 teams over the cap, there aren't that many left with an exception to use on about $2M salary. About 10 teams have a TE they could use, but I'm pretty sure they would want an incentive--I don't think the W's should be giving up a draft pick just to do a deal. We'll see if they can come up with anything. I still think McKinnie is about the only way to go--it just depends how much they want to keep Chriss.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#74 » by Mylie10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:42 am

Samurai wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

And....which is a huge AND....Robinson Is a smaller 6'6". I don't know if he's actually 6'6" anyhow. But definitely on the thin smaller side.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Samurai
General Manager

Post#75 » by Samurai » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:57 am

Mylie10 wrote:
Samurai wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

And....which is a huge AND....Robinson Is a smaller 6'6". I don't know if he's actually 6'6" anyhow. But definitely on the thin smaller side.

He measured 6-6.5 (in shoes) and 211 pounds with a 6-9 wingspan at the 2013 Kevin Durant Skills Academy. So probably a fraction over 6-5 without shoes. But 211 is a decent weight for a SF (he could be a bit heavier now since that was taken 6 years ago) and a 6-9 wingspan is solid (same wingspan as McKinnie). So his size is at least adequate, so it may be more a personality thing that causes him to be pushed around underneath. And for someone who can match hops with anyone, he doesn't get as many rebounds as he should.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#76 » by Mylie10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:32 am

Samurai wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Samurai wrote:If we do that, then we start the season with just one SF, GR3, who has only averaged 20 minutes/game once in his career. Our other choices are to put a PF like Paschall there or go small with Poole. Not even counting Burks since he is never healthy enough to play.

He measured 6-6.5 (in shoes) and 211 pounds with a 6-9 wingspan at the 2013 Kevin Durant Skills Academy. So probably a fraction over 6-5 without shoes. But 211 is a decent weight for a SF (he could be a bit heavier now since that was taken 6 years ago) and a 6-9 wingspan is solid (same wingspan as McKinnie). So his size is at least adequate, so it may be more a personality thing that causes him to be pushed around underneath. And for someone who can match hops with anyone, he doesn't get as many rebounds as he should.

I'm kind of guessing here, but I think he grabbed 5 rebounds per one year. That's not bad for a small forward built like him.

But I'm no way could you ever have him switching onto 4s like McKinnie can. I just see Robinson as like a big 2 guard who plays small forward out of necessity.

I just really wish we had found some length at small forward somehow. I want long and lean small forwards. I don't consider Robinson either.
Khoee wrote “
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#77 » by northoakland510 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:30 am

Warriors have needed an athletic power forward for years. The kid is too talented to let go

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#78 » by Coxy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:01 am

northoakland510 wrote:Warriors have needed an athletic power forward for years. The kid is too talented to let go

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As long as his head is humbled.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#79 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:39 pm

My man been eatin up that humble pie all offseason, time to put in work
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett

Return to Golden State Warriors