Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Marquese Chriss officially a Warrior 

Post#41 » by Mylie10 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Marquese open to signing a 2 way.

Who goes, Bowman or Lee?

We need shooting and scoring. I keep Lee.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#42 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Lee definitely has more value. Bowman is a poor man's Charles Jenkins.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#43 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 pm

I imagine this won't be decided upon until closer to the start of the season. Essentially, everyone on the camp roster that isn't one of our 14 regular season roster players is fighting for one of our two 2-way contracts. At this point, after one preseason game and without having the benefit of seeing what's been happening in the team's practices, the two front runners seem to be Lee and Chriss as they recorded 15 and 14 minutes played respectively. Toscano-Anderson was 3rd at 10 minutes played. Considering that Bowman played only 5 minutes, the fewest of any Warrior, it seems likely that he won't be holding on to his 2-way deal. I wouldn't be surprised if a decision isn't made until after the last preseason game on the 18th.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#44 » by xdrta+ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:37 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:I imagine this won't be decided upon until closer to the start of the season. Essentially, everyone on the camp roster that isn't one of our 14 regular season roster players is fighting for one of our two 2-way contracts. At this point, after one preseason game and without having the benefit of seeing what's been happening in the team's practices, the two front runners seem to be Lee and Chriss as they recorded 15 and 14 minutes played respectively. Toscano-Anderson was 3rd at 10 minutes played. Considering that Bowman played only 5 minutes, the fewest of any Warrior, it seems likely that he won't be holding on to his 2-way deal. I wouldn't be surprised if a decision isn't made until after the last preseason game on the 18th.

I agree with this, but I would say there are more like 13 roster players. I think McKinnie still has to prove himself and could lose his spot if someone else shines in camp.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#45 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:I imagine this won't be decided upon until closer to the start of the season. Essentially, everyone on the camp roster that isn't one of our 14 regular season roster players is fighting for one of our two 2-way contracts. At this point, after one preseason game and without having the benefit of seeing what's been happening in the team's practices, the two front runners seem to be Lee and Chriss as they recorded 15 and 14 minutes played respectively. Toscano-Anderson was 3rd at 10 minutes played. Considering that Bowman played only 5 minutes, the fewest of any Warrior, it seems likely that he won't be holding on to his 2-way deal. I wouldn't be surprised if a decision isn't made until after the last preseason game on the 18th.

I agree with this, but I would say there are more like 13 roster players. I think McKinnie still has to prove himself and could lose his spot if someone else shines in camp.

Agreed. For defensive purposes, I'm sure the team wants McKinnie to distinguish himself as he's the only player on the roster with ideal SF stature but opening against Lebron didn't do him any favors. Tonight he'll have the assignment of either Wiggins or Layman, depending on how Kerr wants to match up, and it's a big moment for him. He needs to dominate his man defensively tonight because he doesn't really do enough on offense to justify having him around under the circumstances if he can't be a defensive plus.

The other possibility is that Paschall shows he has the lateral quickness to defend on the perimeter which would be much needed. He certainly competed against Lebron.

Three more preseason matchups against Lebron should go a long way in determining who our starting SF will be this season.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#46 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:29 am

I’m liking Chriss and Paschall a lot more than Spellman and McKinnie. Besides being able to hit 3’s, I don’t see much from Spellman. You can see why Shlenk already gave up on him.

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#47 » by clyde21 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:40 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:I’m liking Chriss and Paschall a lot more than Spellman and McKinnie. Besides being able to hit 3’s, I don’t see much from Spellman. You can see why Shlenk already gave up on him.

Marreese Speights on a good day if you squint hard
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#48 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:59 am

I think the rotation should be

Curry
DLo
Little Dog
Dray
WCS

Looney
Burks
Poole
Chriss
Paschall
Evans

McKinnie did some good things for us, but he has overseas ball written all over him.

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#49 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:17 am

The core strength, multi-positionality and ability to move around the court with power and decisiveness from Evans, Paschall, McKinnie and Spellman was impressive and somewhat unexpected. These four guys in particular are picking up on the wolvishness that characterized the LoD and Hampton's 5 lineups, this coaching staff knows what they're doing.

I love Poole's confidence and willingness to fire and he moved his feet wonderfully on defense.

Big Puppy brought a clear veteran presence and I imagine he'll win the starting SF role to start the season.

Chriss is definitely getting the other 2-way deal at least. If they for some reason cut McKinnie, which I don't see happening if he keeps playing like he did tonight, Chriss will get a regular roster spot. Chriss is ready to stick in the NBA, his abilities and attitude are where they need to be now.

The only thing I didn't like is what I saw from Lee. He rushes and still plays out of control, like the game moves a little too fast for him to get comfortable with. He did knock down a couple shots.

Curry/Evans
D'lo/Poole
Big Puppy/McKinnie
Draymond/Paschall
Chriss/Spellman

This rotation alone would be capable of wrestling out a playoff spot.
The hottest of takes...
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#50 » by Coxy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:18 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:I think the rotation should be

Curry
DLo
Little Dog
Dray
WCS

Looney
Burks
Poole
Chriss
Paschall
Evans

McKinnie did some good things for us, but he has overseas ball written all over him.

I like it, but if Mckinnie has overseas ball written all over him, then Evans has womens typewriter maintance career written all over him.

Keep Alf, pack Jacobs bags.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,875

Post#51 » by Hoopstar23 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:29 am

@Coxy what did i tell you about my boy Chriss hes been balling!! i hope he makes the team... he seems mentally prepared to play and strive in the NBA...
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#52 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:35 am

Coxy wrote:

Curry
DLo
Little Dog
Dray
WCS

Looney
Burks
Poole
Chriss
Paschall
Evans

I like it, but if Mckinnie has overseas ball written all over him, then Evans has womens typewriter maintance career written all over him.

I think they’ll keep him around to be the backup PG

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#53 » by Samurai » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:44 am

Coxy wrote:

Curry
DLo
Little Dog
Dray
WCS

Looney
Burks
Poole
Chriss
Paschall
Evans

Isn't the only way to do that is to trade Evans? We can't just cut him from a cap standpoint. Are you really that impressed with Evans that you think another team would trade for him? And wouldn't we have to get no salary back in the deal since we would need to use that money for Chriss? I'm more optimistic about Evans now than I was last season, but believing that another team wants to trade for him seems like a leap to me and I'm just not there yet.

I don't think the team wants to cut Zo, so barring a very unlikely trade, it seems that the only feasible way for him to make the team is to give Bowman's 2-way to Chriss. And I'm OK with that - I think Chriss needs to be on the team. I was particularly impressed with his rebounding tonight, hope he can keep that up. Rebounding is Zo's main calling card, so until Chriss shows that he truly has overcome his reputation as a poor rebounder, I think the Dubs want to keep Zo since rebounding was a team weakness last season. Other than rebounding, GR3 outplayed Zo in the fight for the starting SF spot tonight.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#54 » by Coxy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:52 am

Hoopstar23 wrote:@Coxy what did i tell you about my boy Chriss hes been balling!! i hope he makes the team... he seems mentally prepared to play and strive in the NBA...

Sometimes all it takes is a seriously humbling turn of events, and then catching on with the right program and personalities to bring out the best in someone.

He has everything needed to succeed right now, it’s up to him.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#55 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:01 am

Some embarrassing takes tonight, very quotable material. Evans was outstanding tonight, terrific glue guy, does a little bit of everything and is a disciplined and confident floor general. He's our backup PG and he's going to shine in the role. Great next to both Steph and D'lo and he has both the core strength and lateral quickness to guard 1-3. Between him and Poole, Bob Myers is a genius.

I'm also really liking the physicality and competitiveness of Paschall. Spellman had some nice moments but he has to get more aggressive around the bucket and learn how to use his big frame to finish in traffic.

Great passing from everyone(except Poole, he's a brain dead gunner but it's endearing), Steve Kerr knows what he's doing.
The hottest of takes...
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,385

Post#56 » by svart » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:35 am

Give the man Ky's spot.
Not a smart move to get rid of Zo. We need wings, and he had a good run last year.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#57 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:39 pm

I like Zo, but his only job on offense is to stand in the corner and hit 3’s and he's not able to do that. He’s been throwing up bricks since the middle of last year.

Mylie10
RealGM

Post#58 » by Mylie10 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Chriss had an amazing game last night. If he plays like this, which is totally opposite of how he has played previously in his career, then you have to keep him.

Here's why:

Last night he did all of the little things. He rebounded great, with 11 boards. A couple of really impressive rebounds too.

He set great screens. He really held his spot and didn't try and move on from the screen to quickly which is what gets guys in trouble.

He kept his hands and eyes ready for the lobs.
And he played pretty good defense.

But most importantly is that he didn't look for his own shot. He played within the flow. I think he took one shot outside of the basket. Perviously in his career, he would be hunting for offense. Taking I'll advised shots, and going one-on-one.

If Chriss continues to play selfless ball, and does all of the little things first, them we have to keep him around.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,884

Post#59 » by whatisacenter » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:21 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Chriss had an amazing game last night. If he plays like this, which is totally opposite of how he has played previously in his career, then you have to keep him.

Here's why:

Last night he did all of the little things. He rebounded great, with 11 boards. A couple of really impressive rebounds too.

He set great screens. He really held his spot and didn't try and move on from the screen to quickly which is what gets guys in trouble.

He kept his hands and eyes ready for the lobs.
And he played pretty good defense.

But most importantly is that he didn't look for his own shot. He played within the flow. I think he took one shot outside of the basket. Perviously in his career, he would be hunting for offense. Taking I'll advised shots, and going one-on-one.

If Chriss continues to play selfless ball, and does all of the little things first, them we have to keep him around.

I agree with all of your post but the bolded part is dead on. He looks to be a little humbled by the fact that he was on the streets before the Warriors gave him a training camp look. I like Spellman but Chriss does everything better than him except shoot the three and I would already have him ahead of Omari in the rotation. I think the Warriors are going to need as many players who can provide at least adequate defense on the roster as possible. It will be interesting to see how Marquese performs the rest of camp.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#60 » by Mylie10 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:27 am

Some Chriss talk. And a possible trade?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/Marquese-Chriss-the-surprise-of-camp-14518882.php

If it were me I'd first try to trade Burks. Very very unlikely I realize.

Next on the list is Evans. And with his strong summer league and decent preseason so far, he might have just a bit of value to get a deal done.

Maybe the Hawks help us out again.

I know everyone is going to say McKinnie, but I choose elite rebounding from the small forward spot, and the ability to guard a few 4's, is something needed. Only Draymond and Paschall are the other guys that can guard 3's and 4's.
Khoee wrote “

Return to Golden State Warriors