2020 Draft Thread

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#1341 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jun 3, 2020 9:21 pm

cdubbz wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:It's been so long since I paid any attention to draft prospects I don't even remember who I like.

It’s been so long that Emoni Bates is now draft eligible.

shoot...I heard WNBA teams are scouting Riley Curry
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#1342 » by The Maestro » Wed Jun 3, 2020 9:56 pm

If they keep the pick then it has to be Wiseman. If he’s gone then you take Edwards. If he’s gone then you trade down and take one of the 3D wings like Vassell or Nesmith.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#1343 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 10:35 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:It's been so long since I paid any attention to draft prospects I don't even remember who I like.

hang tight, draft ain't until sept
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#1344 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jun 3, 2020 11:36 pm

clyde21 wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

hang tight, draft ain't until sept

Have they actually said when the draft would be? That'd be wild if they did it during the playoffs :lol:
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#1345 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 11:51 pm

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#1346 » by cdubbz » Thu Jun 4, 2020 12:39 am

clyde21 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258332/Warriors-Have-Tyrese-Haliburton-Above-LaMelo-Ball-Killian-Hayes-On-Draft-Board

IF this is true this would restore my faith in Myers

I like Haliburton for our future but difficult to see him having year 1 impact (rare of rookies to begin with). He needs to add weight & strength, plus figure out his shot.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#1347 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 12:53 am

Yeah would they make him rebuild his mechanics even though he shot well in college?

Lonzo shot well in college but that form was not going to work at all in the NBA.

They would have to put him with a professional trainer.

Maybe get someone who's ready to play now, even if his ultimate ceiling isn't that high.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Post#1348 » by ShayDee » Thu Jun 4, 2020 2:44 am

wco81 wrote:Yeah would they make him rebuild his mechanics even though he shot well in college?

Lonzo shot well in college but that form was not going to work at all in the NBA.

Maybe get someone who's ready to play now, even if his ultimate ceiling isn't that high.

This is what I think as well, He won't be ready for about 2 years if we pick him. I think the ideal scenario would be us picking ahead of the knicks and trading down for their 2 first rounders and grab maybe Vassel/Bey/Nesmith and someone else ready to play with the Clippers pick or pick Edwards and Call it a day

And they aren't picking Okoro, unless they want a repeat of what happened during the finals, Curry isn't able to carry this teams offense anymore, we lost KD and still haven't replaced his offensive production
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1349 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 2:48 am

The Maestro wrote:If they keep the pick then it has to be Wiseman. If he’s gone then you take Edwards. If he’s gone then you trade down and take one of the 3D wings like Vassell or Nesmith.

"If they keep the pick ... then you trade down"

Can't keep the pick AND trade down :)
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#1350 » by Commodor » Thu Jun 4, 2020 3:52 am

ShayDee wrote:
wco81 wrote:Yeah would they make him rebuild his mechanics even though he shot well in college?

This is what I think as well, He won't be ready for about 2 years if we pick him. I think the ideal scenario would be us picking ahead of the knicks and trading down for their 2 first rounders and grab maybe Vassel/Bey/Nesmith and someone else ready to play with the Clippers pick or pick Edwards and Call it a day

And they aren't picking Okoro, unless they want a repeat of what happened during the finals, Curry isn't able to carry this teams offense anymore, we lost KD and still haven't replaced his offensive production

They brought Wiggins, Poole, Pascall, and Chriss as offensive players. Klay will be healthy soon.

Bowman, Looney, and Lee are well balanced but not particularly great either way.

Who is our defensive stopper after Draymond and Klay?

Okoro may not end up being the pick, but your reasoning that we need to bring more offense in because we don’t have it now does not make sense. We’ve clearly focused on offense at the expense of defense since KD and Iggy left.

Okoro and Vassel should be high on our draft board.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,898

Post#1351 » by whatisacenter » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:11 am

clyde21 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258332/Warriors-Have-Tyrese-Haliburton-Above-LaMelo-Ball-Killian-Hayes-On-Draft-Board

IF this is true this would restore my faith in Myers

He has the size and skill set to fit right in with the team. I could see him providing a roll coming off the bench in his rookie season.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#1352 » by azwfan » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:44 am

ShayDee wrote:

What happened in the Finals is we didn't have a single player that could score at all without Klay and KD on the court. Aside from maybe Toppin (who doesn't defend) there isn't anyone in this draft who resolves the offensive issue without hurting the defense. Might as well make the defense tough.
Paid for by Warriors fans for Isaac Okoro in 2020.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#1353 » by The Maestro » Thu Jun 4, 2020 4:45 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:If they keep the pick then it has to be Wiseman. If he’s gone then you take Edwards. If he’s gone then you trade down and take one of the 3D wings like Vassell or Nesmith.

"If they keep the pick ... then you trade down"

Can't keep the pick AND trade down :)

I meant if they decide not to trade for a vet. If they decide to make a selection and keep them player, I hope it’s one of the guys I listed even if it means trading down.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1354 » by ShayDee » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:04 am

Commodor wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

They brought Wiggins, Poole, Pascall, and Chriss as offensive players. Klay will be healthy soon.

Bowman, Looney, and Lee are well balanced but not particularly great either way.

Okoro may not end up being the pick, but your reasoning that we need to bring more offense in because we don’t have it now does not make sense. We’ve clearly focused on offense at the expense of defense since KD and Iggy left.

A rookie is not going to be a defensive stopper in their first year. Almost no reason to risk picking for only defense in the lottery when we can find those players in the 2nd round or later in the draft. And how many players on our team can you trust to hit an open jumper.

Just this passed year only GR3 had a decent % from 3 and the rest of our team had numerous open opportunities which they failed to convert. Wiggins, Klay, Looney, Chriss and Dray, along with whoever we get in free agency from vets would be all the defense we need. We need to figure out the offense when they pack the paint and guard guard Curry and Klay heavily
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1355 » by ShayDee » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:16 am

azwfan wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

What happened in the Finals is we didn't have a single player that could score at all without Klay and KD on the court. Aside from maybe Toppin (who doesn't defend) there isn't anyone in this draft who resolves the offensive issue without hurting the defense. Might as well make the defense tough.
Paid for by Warriors fans for Isaac Okoro in 2020.

We kind of had a tough defense already, with Iggy, a lesser extent Shaun, half of Klay, Looney(before Injury) while the Raptors had everyone on their roster with an above average offense and able to hit an open 3, like we literally couldn't leave anyone open and that hurt us while they left half of the players on our team all the space in the world.

Lets say Wiggins replaces KD on defense, Klay (hopefully healthy and better defense than finals), hopefully healthy Looney, a half decent rim protector and switchable Chriss + whoever we get in free agency I'd say our defense would be fine. But our offense would be a bit shaky which I'm worried about.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#1356 » by azwfan » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:11 am

ShayDee wrote:
Commodor wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

A rookie is not going to be a defensive stopper in their first year. Almost no reason to risk picking for only defense in the lottery when we can find those players in the 2nd round or later in the draft. And how many players on our team can you trust to hit an open jumper.

Just this passed year only GR3 had a decent % from 3 and the rest of our team had numerous open opportunities which they failed to convert. Wiggins, Klay, Looney, Chriss and Dray, along with whoever we get in free agency from vets would be all the defense we need. We need to figure out the offense when they pack the paint and guard guard Curry and Klay heavily

Okoro isn't defense only. He's defense mostly though. hahaha.
I also don't expect anyone in the the draft to be a goto offensive weapon rookie year.

I don't really see anyone at the top of the draft I would expect to hit open jumpers. In the 2nd rd we can pick up jump shooters. Heck Mulder looks like he can shoot. We need defense.

This past season we had one of the worst defensive teams in the league, and one of the worst offensive teams. We're getting back 2 great offensive players who were out the whole year. One of whom should make life a whole lot easier on everyone else. Paschall, is another offensive player I would expect to improve (at least offensively). Wiggins - is a scorer - inefficient as he may be, he's a scorer. We need defenders. We REALLY need 2-way players, but I'm not gonna get greedy. Just give me Okoro. He has the work ethic, he'll become a solid shooter. If we trade down for him, all the better.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#1357 » by Quazza » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:39 am

ShayDee wrote:
Commodor wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

A rookie is not going to be a defensive stopper in their first year.

<3

KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1358 » by ShayDee » Thu Jun 4, 2020 7:13 am

azwfan wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
Commodor wrote:

Okoro isn't defense only. He's defense mostly though. hahaha.
I also don't expect anyone in the the draft to be a goto offensive weapon rookie year.

I don't really see anyone at the top of the draft I would expect to hit open jumpers. In the 2nd rd we can pick up jump shooters. Heck Mulder looks like he can shoot. We need defense.

This past season we had one of the worst defensive teams in the league, and one of the worst offensive teams. We're getting back 2 great offensive players who were out the whole year. One of whom should make life a whole lot easier on everyone else. Paschall, is another offensive player I would expect to improve (at least offensively). Wiggins - is a scorer - inefficient as he may be, he's a scorer. We need defenders. We REALLY need 2-way players, but I'm not gonna get greedy. Just give me Okoro. He has the work ethic, he'll become a solid shooter. If we trade down for him, all the better.

How many rookies came in last year that were good on defense though? I can only maybe think of one and that was Thybulle who even was decent shooting from 3 around the beginning of the year, but he also he fouled alot and caused Brett Brown to bench him numerous times, he was picked 20th, and then maybe Brandon Clarke who was touted an NBA ready defensive guy with a bit more offensive versatility that Okoro, was picked 21. I don't even think I can even recall someone just picked for defense in the lottery last year? Maybe Hunter, Culver, Reddish and PJ Washington? Zion was touted as this awesome help defender/rim protector, and although to a very little extent he does that, he still struggles on defense, as well as this other guys I mentioned but they had at least had an offensive game to come back to. Surprising enough with eye test in my opinion, Reddish is looking like the best defender of the bunch.

And then some guys (2 years ago) touted as defenders (or potential NBA defenders) with more offensive game than Okoro picked in the lottery but are having issues in the NBA like JJJ(although he's good), Bamba, Wendell Carta, Knox, Mikal Bridges etc. While some rookies with good offense and very little defense were having good impact this passed season like Zion, Ja, Coby white and Reddish(both later in the season), Tyler Herro, Terence Davis(went undrafted btw), Kevin Porter and Paschall(who I believe was picked for an NBA ready 3 n D potential guy but he just has an overall good offensive game with little defense at the moment).

I'm just saying gambling on how a player's good-elite college defense would translate if far riskier than picking pure offense with defensive potential because if the defense doesn't come around at least they could rack up points for us. I'm not saying Okoro would be a bad pick, The FO better just have a plan if they do end up picking him, if not then we are just wasting the end of Steph's prime.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1359 » by ShayDee » Thu Jun 4, 2020 7:14 am

Quazza wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
Commodor wrote:

A rookie is not going to be a defensive stopper in their first year.

<3

Lol I was getting to that, explained it already in the long post
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#1360 » by Little Digger » Thu Jun 4, 2020 5:49 pm

NBA has set an August 25 Draft Lottery and October 15 Draft, my sources say.

Woj
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.

Return to Golden State Warriors