ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Draft Thread

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mav_Carter
Sophomore
And1: 41

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#2261 » by Mav_Carter » Mon Sep 7, 2020 8:50 pm

Minn taking Deni #1 would be a dream come true...
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#2262 » by Little Digger » Mon Sep 7, 2020 9:15 pm

ShayDee wrote:Wiseman is the BPA in this draft, whether anyone wants to believe or not. Also has the least bust potential

I just don’t see where that strong conviction comes from..The two high schools games of him I’ve seen , he had good moments but didn’t compete as hard down the stretch as his opponent did..add on the fact that he didn’t even finish his college season , and that’s where my doubts comes from..I havnt seen the fire yet..Does he even like to compete? I’m not sure

If not factoring in competitive desire, ya I’d take him with the Warriors pick

Most Aircraft Carriers dont have the fire (Most people don’t have it)...POB, Joe Barely Cares Carroll etc

There’s around 2800 7 footers in the entire world ..so finding one that’s between 19 to 35 , athletic, and competitive? That’s very rare
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#2263 » by ShayDee » Mon Sep 7, 2020 9:26 pm

Little Digger wrote:
ShayDee wrote:Wiseman is the BPA in this draft, whether anyone wants to believe or not. Also has the least bust potential

I just don’t see where that strong conviction comes from..The two high schools games of him I’ve seen , he had good moments but didn’t compete as hard down the stretch as his opponent did..add on the fact that he didn’t even finish his college season , and that’s where my doubts comes from..I havnt seen the fire yet..Does he even like to compete? I’m not sure

Most Aircraft Carriers dont have the fire (Most people don’t have it)...POB, Joe Barely Cares Carroll etc

There’s around 2800 7 footers in the entire world ..so finding one that’s between 19 to 35 , athletic, and competitive? That’s very rare

Wiseman potential game is close to David Robinson/Anthony Davis with a bit better jumper. If he should ever get to 80% of that potential (which is realistic) then that kind of player is the BPA in this draft. His floor should be DeAndre Jordan/Whiteside/Capela
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#2264 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 9:29 pm

Little Digger wrote:

If not factoring in competitive desire, ya I might take him with the Warriors pick

Most Aircraft Carriers dont have the fire..POB, Joe Barely Cares Carroll etc

A guy with the size and athletic ability of Wiseman, it's hard to imagine him being unplayable. He may not have have the greatest motor but if he wants to stay in the NBA, he's going to put forth some effort.

Here's an example of a player with great size and athleticism but low motor:

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3064559/damian-jones

That's right, Damian Jones played 55 games for Atlanta this year, started 27 of them, 16 MPG.

Obviously he's not the answer at center. Atlanta lost a lot of games and had to trade for Capela.

Only 25 so he'll probably be able to collect minimum salaries for a few years.

Now if we know Wiseman will be no better than Jones, Warriors should absolutely avoid.

Can he be a higher version of Javale? Maybe not, probably not as big a dunker but he might be effective in some pick and roll situations where McGee largely wasn't.

McGee isn't looking great in the playoffs for the Lakers right now.
Mav_Carter
Sophomore

Post#2265 » by Mav_Carter » Mon Sep 7, 2020 9:30 pm

Wiseman can't shoot FT's which means that he'll never have a reliable jump shot...his ceiling is somewhere between Javale McGee and Clint Capela...
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#2266 » by ShayDee » Mon Sep 7, 2020 9:37 pm

Mav_Carter wrote:Wiseman can't shoot FT's which means that he'll never have a reliable jump shot...his ceiling is somewhere between Javale McGee and Clint Capela...

Deni can't shoot FTs which means he'll never have a reliable jumper. His ceiling is somewhere between Hezonja and Saric with better handling and passing. People need to stop overrating him and being blinded by recency bias. He is not worth #2

And how can his ceiling be between Capela and McGee, dude now you are just being ignorant, haven't watched him or you just flat out hate him. Idk what to say man
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#2267 » by Little Digger » Mon Sep 7, 2020 9:54 pm

There may be nobody in this draft worth the #2..so if there are no trades to be made, I’m rolling with Avdija
then
P Williams

Wiseman

Okoro

Vassell

OKongwu

Edwards

Haliburton

LaaaaaaaaaMello
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Mav_Carter
Sophomore

Post#2268 » by Mav_Carter » Mon Sep 7, 2020 9:59 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Mav_Carter wrote:Wiseman can't shoot FT's which means that he'll never have a reliable jump shot...his ceiling is somewhere between Javale McGee and Clint Capela...

Deni can't shoot FTs which means he'll never have a reliable jumper. His ceiling is somewhere between Hezonja and Saric with better handling and passing. People need to stop overrating him and being blinded by recency bias. He is not worth #2

And how can his ceiling be between Capela and McGee, dude now you are just being ignorant, haven't watched him or you just flat out hate him. Idk what to say man

Capela and McGee are both good players...rim runners who can catch the lob...long wingspans...can be disruptive on D but won't be able to switch and show...that's basically all Wiseman will ever be...
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#2269 » by ShayDee » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:03 pm

Mav_Carter wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

Capela and McGee are both good players...rim runners who can catch the lob...long wingspans...can be disruptive on D but won't be able to switch and show...that's basically all Wiseman will ever be...

No dude stop lying. McGee and Capella cannot shoot or handle the ball without turning it over which Wiseman can already do. That eliminates them as his potential ceiling and makes him the best 7ft prospect in a while
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#2270 » by Little Digger » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:09 pm

If the Warriors draft Edwards, Draymond will be doing 15 to 20 years by January 2022.
wco81
RealGM

Post#2271 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:21 pm

You know why Toronto is still playing Marc Gasol a lot at 35 years of age, despite no longer being much of a scoring threat?

Because he helps defend just with his length when he clogs up the lane and causes opponents to change shots.

That wing span, as long as he's not a a potted plant, will help Wiseman if he rotates and aggressively challenges shots.

He doesn't even need to get a lot of blocks, just hands straight up, jump vertically. Make players shoot over his 7-6 wingspan and whatever vertical he has.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#2272 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:26 pm

Little Digger wrote:

The estimate I saw was that there were somewhere below 1500 male 7 footers between 18 and 35 in the world. I had a good friend who was 7'2" when we were in our 20s and he HATED basketball and it always bugged him because everyone asked him to play. When we played volleyball the opponent would always groan when he unfolded out of his VW Golf. Spending a bunch of time with someone that big warps reality. Living in a "normal" size world is hard on him ... kitchen counters/cooktops, his bed and couch wouldn't fit in the apartment. Just a general pain to be 7'+ and not be in the NBA.
Mav_Carter
Sophomore

Post#2273 » by Mav_Carter » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:28 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Mav_Carter wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

No dude stop lying. McGee and Capella cannot shoot or handle the ball without turning it over which Wiseman can already do. That eliminates them as his potential ceiling and makes him the best 7ft prospect in a while

I've seen Wiseman handle the ball and not turn it over in an empty gym against orange cones...
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#2274 » by ShayDee » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:29 pm

Wiseman's only issue in year 1 will be foul trouble. I am not worried about anything else. But throughout the season it will be up to Dray and the coaching staff to teach him how to defend without lowering his arms or biting pump fakes. One hand close to the opponents hip and one hand in the air is enough for Wiseman to guard anyone on the floor if he is strong enough. He will not need to jump to trouble anyone matched against him. And if he doesn't bite the pump fakes, him jumping right after his opponents shoots should just give him enough time and space to block the shot because of his athleticism, height and Wingspan
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#2275 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:30 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Little Digger wrote:

Wiseman potential game is close to David Robinson/Anthony Davis with a bit better jumper. If he should ever get to 80% of that potential (which is realistic) then that kind of player is the BPA in this draft. His floor should be DeAndre Jordan/Whiteside/Capela

His floor is that of Hassan Whiteside ... the guy who was so bad he couldn't make it in the NBA until the 5th year after he was drafted, and even then I don't want him on a #2 pick in the draft contract.

And his floor being close to him reaching 80% of his potential seems VERY optimistic. He is likely a functional NBA center and not a star ... but that's the reality of most NBA draft picks.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#2276 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:32 pm

ShayDee wrote:

It's a soft draft. If the team takes a swing at someone unexpected I'm going to give them some time to be right.

If Kawhi or Giannis were taken #2 the teams would have been slaughtered for the move, but it would have been the right move in retrospect.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#2277 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:36 pm

wco81 wrote:You know why Toronto is still playing Marc Gasol a lot at 35 years of age, despite no longer being much of a scoring threat?

Because he helps defend just with his length when he clogs up the lane and causes opponents to change shots.

That wing span, as long as he's not a a potted plant, will help Wiseman if he rotates and aggressively challenges shots.

He doesn't even need to get a lot of blocks, just hands straight up, jump vertically. Make players shoot over his 7-6 wingspan and whatever vertical he has.

His brain is why he's playing. His body lets him do things that would be harder if he was smaller, but his knowledge is his main skill.
wco81
RealGM

Post#2278 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:36 pm

Draymond apparently said or tweeted that NBA centers, except for a couple of them, are praying that Houston doesn't beat the Lakers because if they do, their job prospects are blown.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#2279 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:37 pm

ShayDee wrote:Wiseman's only issue in year 1 will be foul trouble. I am not worried about anything else. But throughout the season it will be up to Dray and the coaching staff to teach him how to defend without lowering his arms or biting pump fakes. One hand close to the opponents hip and one hand in the air is enough for Wiseman to guard anyone on the floor if he is strong enough. He will not need to jump to trouble anyone matched against him. And if he doesn't bite the pump fakes, him jumping right after his opponents shoots should just give him enough time and space to block the shot because of his athleticism, height and Wingspan

And I agree up to a point. His mentality is an open question, and that can hamstring all of it.
Mav_Carter
Sophomore

Post#2280 » by Mav_Carter » Mon Sep 7, 2020 10:40 pm

Draymond made us draft Jacob Evans...he's the worst talent evaluator in the entire org...

Return to Golden State Warriors