ImageImageImageImageImage

TPE Trade Target Watch

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: TPE Trade Target Watch 

Post#181 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:05 am

gst8 wrote:I’m sure this has been asked/answered already but I’m lazy - does the changed season timeline impact the TPE at all?

The cap being dramatically lower will have an effect on the size of contracts players will accept.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#182 » by The Maestro » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
gst8 wrote:I’m sure this has been asked/answered already but I’m lazy - does the changed season timeline impact the TPE at all?

The cap being dramatically lower will have an effect on the size of contracts players will accept.

The cap isn’t going to change much. They’re going to lower it by a small amount if at all.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#183 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:52 pm

The Maestro wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

The cap isn’t going to change much. They’re going to lower it by a small amount if at all.

That requires the players and owners agreeing on some significant changes, and there is little indication that's going to happen.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#184 » by wco81 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:16 pm

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#185 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:59 am

donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#186 » by donkeylips » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:33 am

I’d be happy with any of them, but would you be willing to give our first this draft for them? The list is John Collins, jrue holiday, Aaron Gordon, Marcus smart and Robert covington.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#187 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:24 am

donkeylips wrote:I’d be happy with any of them, but would you be willing to give our first this draft for them? The list is John Collins, jrue holiday, Aaron Gordon, Marcus smart and Robert covington.

No, but the Warriors shouldn't need to pay that much since the idea is those teams want to dump that money off their cap.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#188 » by ChuckDurn » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:21 am

donkeylips wrote:I’d be happy with any of them, but would you be willing to give our first this draft for them? The list is John Collins, jrue holiday, Aaron Gordon, Marcus smart and Robert covington.

If we ended up #4 or #5, I’d probably consider doing that pick for Smart (into the TPE) and the Celtics #1 pick (17th overall, I think).

Holiday makes too much for the TPE.

Covington seems to be a decent positional fit, but I’m skeptical of his knee and his age.

Smart is terrific. A defense with him, Draymond, and Klay on the court would be pretty vicious. Plus, he figured out to hit the 3, and would fit in really well.

I don’t think that highly of Collins’ game, and run hot and cold on Gordon.

For me, of this list, Smart would be the one to go after.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,974

Post#189 » by Richard4444 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:38 pm

I enjoy watching GSW because my team is a mess.

But I am curious how you guys can think about take more salary (using the TPE) in a probable salary cap decrease scenario .

GSW owes 135M next year only to the starter team. If we add the bench, there are 147M invested in 11 players. With the first pick they will likely ending with a payroll over from 155M/160M without using the TPE.

In a optimistic scenario, with a luxury tax about 130M. If GSW only end the season with a 155/160M payroll, they would to pay between 65-75M in luxury tax. If they using the TPE to trade the First pick to a 15-20M salary player (spending 170M) payroll, they would be playing around 135M of luxury.

In a more realistic scenario, a 170M payroll will result in a 200M luxury tax bill.

Is GSW willing to take a 100/200 Millions luxury tax bill in a recession environment with a serious risk of no attendance?
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#190 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:56 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:

If we ended up #4 or #5, I’d probably consider doing that pick for Smart (into the TPE) and the Celtics #1 pick (17th overall, I think).

Holiday makes too much for the TPE.

Covington seems to be a decent positional fit, but I’m skeptical of his knee and his age.

Smart is terrific. A defense with him, Draymond, and Klay on the court would be pretty vicious. Plus, he figured out to hit the 3, and would fit in really well.

I don’t think that highly of Collins’ game, and run hot and cold on Gordon.

For me, of this list, Smart would be the one to go after.

1. Gordon - I think he'd be MUCH better and more consistent with the Warriors players and scheme
2. Smart - Iguodala take 2
3. Holiday (have to get Pels to take some of his salary)
4. Covington - Inconsistent offense and knee, but good 3 and D guy who can guard 4 positions
5. Collins - Athletic big with decent all around game.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,466

Post#191 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:09 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

No, but the Warriors shouldn't need to pay that much since the idea is those teams want to dump that money off their cap.

None of those teams are dumping those players.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#192 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:26 pm

Richard4444 wrote:I enjoy watching GSW because my team is a mess.

But I am curious how you guys can think about take more salary (using the TPE) in a probable salary cap decrease scenario .

GSW owes 135M next year only to the starter team. If we add the bench, there are 147M invested in 11 players. With the first pick they will likely ending with a payroll over from 155M/160M without using the TPE.

In a optimistic scenario, with a luxury tax about 130M. If GSW only end the season with a 155/160M payroll, they would to pay between 65-75M in luxury tax. If they using the TPE to trade the First pick to a 15-20M salary player (spending 170M) payroll, they would be playing around 135M of luxury.

In a more realistic scenario, a 170M payroll will result in a 200M luxury tax bill.

Is GSW willing to take a 100/200 Millions luxury tax bill in a recession environment with a serious risk of no attendance?

It's OK with me, Joe has plenty of money.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#193 » by The Maestro » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:05 pm

Ball4life32 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Actually I think they are , or at least they’ll try. These teams are cash strapped. The Pels have to give a huge contract to Ingram and Holiday just turned 30. The Rockets are a complete mess financially and will need to dump multiple players. The Hawks are giving big money to Capela and probably can’t afford to give a huge deal to Collins. The Celtics are totally willing to deal Smart because they’re paying Gordon, Brown and Tatum.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#194 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:22 pm

Holiday makes $26M next year. How is that supposed to work with the trade exception?
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,466

Post#195 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:37 pm

The Maestro wrote:
Ball4life32 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Actually I think they are , or at least they’ll try. These teams are cash strapped. The Pels have to give a huge contract to Ingram and Holiday just turned 30. The Rockets are a complete mess financially and will need to dump multiple players. The Hawks are giving big money to Capela and probably can’t afford to give a huge deal to Collins. The Celtics are totally willing to deal Smart because they’re paying Gordon, Brown and Tatum.

Rockets just traded Capela & their 1st for Covington & they’re already looking to dump him?

Hayward can opt out & only has 1 year left if he doesn’t....Smart’s only due 13/14 million. They love him too much to dump him.

Collins just averaged 22-10 on 66 TS% & was top 15 in block %....only 22 years old. Hawks aren’t trading him because of Capela. They have more cap space than anyone too.....be absolutely shocked if he’s traded in general.

Not saying any of them can’t be traded but they are too good/valuable for their teams to just dump.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#196 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:46 pm

The Maestro wrote:
Ball4life32 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

I'm not seeing it.

Ingram is getting a max deal but after that the Pels probably won't be handing out a max deal until it's time to pay Zion. I don't see them having financial problems considering they're only paying $83 million in salary thus far for next season.

The Rockets don't have the luxury of dumping salary. They're committed to the team they have and they need as many of the right pieces around Westbrook and Harden to make a championship run as they can get. I'm sure they would like to dump Eric Gordon but nobody is taking that horrible contract that ends when Gordon is 35. The day the Rockets start dumping salary is the day they trade Harden and Westbrook to start the rebuild.

Atlanta is only paying $58 million next season, there's nothing stopping them from paying Collins since the next time they'll need to hand out a max deal isn't until Trae Young in 2022.

Gordon Hayward's contract comes off the books just in time to pay Tatum his max deal so I don't see any reason they would need to dump Smart whose contract is a bargain.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#197 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 4:32 pm

Ball4life32 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Not "dumped" but them being moves is possible. There has been talk about all of them being available, and that's all we're doing here ... talking about it.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#198 » by DAWill1128 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:16 pm

I like Gordon, gives us a good big wing defender. Any lineup with Green, Gordon, and Klay is going to be pretty great defensively. Also gives us another guy to defend a LeBron, Kawhi, George, Harden.

I think we may just do a bridge trade to get above the 17.2 TPE. Or I could see us taking James Johnson for his salary (actually a good fit) and see how Looney looks going into the trade deadline. Then trading both with a pick for a better fit.

I also saw a scenario where the Warriors do a sign and trade and use the TPE and send back a pick for a free agent. This way they can go above the MLE and the other team doesn’t lose a player for nothing. Is that possible? I can’t think of trade where that has happened.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#199 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jul 2, 2020 6:46 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:I also saw a scenario where the Warriors do a sign and trade and use the TPE and send back a pick for a free agent. This way they can go above the MLE and the other team doesn’t lose a player for nothing. Is that possible? I can’t think of trade where that has happened.

The trade exception can be used to absorb salary in a sign-and-trade, so yes, that would be possible.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#200 » by DAWill1128 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 9:13 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:I also saw a scenario where the Warriors do a sign and trade and use the TPE and send back a pick for a free agent. This way they can go above the MLE and the other team doesn’t lose a player for nothing. Is that possible? I can’t think of trade where that has happened.

The trade exception can be used to absorb salary in a sign-and-trade, so yes, that would be possible.

Well if that’s the case does it make sense to try and pry Harrell away from the Clippers? That could be huge. Williams is getting older and Harrell is a top player for them. That could shift some of the power towards us. Although I also think if Harrell signs a big long term deal that will greatly hinder the Clippers ability to improve. Williams taking a discount and Harrells current deal are a big reason the Clippers have a strong roster.

Or maybe we can corner the Raptors. The Raptors will have Ibaka and Gasol up for free agency, if we negotiate we could potentially force them to cough up one or the other.

The Suns with the TPE and Baynes also makes sense since they don’t have reason to spend beyond the MLE for Baynes when they have Ayton.

Return to Golden State Warriors