ImageImageImageImageImage

TPE Trade Target Watch

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: TPE Trade Target Watch 

Post#401 » by Mylie10 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:27 am

xdrta+ wrote:As noted, trade exceptions are difficult to get value with, especially in this case with the tax. I wouldn't be surprised if they use a piece of it, say 5-10 million, and get someone they couldn't get with just the MLE. Considering how weak their bench is, they might be able to get a decent rotation piece at that price.

That all seems logical
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
kingcong95
Junior
And1: 129

Post#402 » by kingcong95 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:02 am

Another option would be to use the TPE to take on an expiring that the other team really wants to get rid of, if they'll give us picks for the trouble.
I'd ask for a first to take Johnson from the Wolves or Young from the Bulls, either of whom can still fit our rotation. Still on the topic of the Bulls, if it's Satoransky or Felicio, I want 2 2nds, preferably later ones since we already have two for each of the next three drafts and none after that. I also wouldn't mind Dedmon and the OKC 2022 pick from the Hawks, a big man who can't just be left open in the corner, while that pick might also satisfy our need for 2nds further down the road if OKC is bad enough that it doesn't convey.
Dedmon, Young, and Sato have partial guarantees in 2021-22 so if we'd rather not keep them we can stretch them over 5 years, in order to keep the tax impact around 3-4M each.
One name I haven't seen much of is Trevor Ariza. Although his best days are clearly behind him, he could be a good influence for Wiggins and whoever we draft. He's non-guaranteed for 12.8M next year, but shouldn't cost too much in trade assets since the Blazers might prefer to let him go for only 1.8M. How do you guys feel about that?
I have a feeling that "special opportunity" might refer to copping Covington or Tucker from the cash-strapped Rockets. Under normal circumstances they'd never do this kind of business with us, but these are anything but.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Post#403 » by ShayDee » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:15 am

kingcong95 wrote:One name I haven't seen much of is Trevor Ariza. Although his best days are clearly behind him, he could be a good influence for Wiggins and whoever we draft. He's non-guaranteed for 12.8M next year, but shouldn't cost too much in trade assets since the Blazers might prefer to let him go for only 1.8M. How do you guys feel about that?

What a minute. Ariza is a name I haven't thought of. I am not sure how partial guaranteed contracts work. If they do not guarantee the 12 mil is he a FA? If he is a FA we should absolutely go for him as back up SF and vet presence . Maybe he still has something left in hi. He could complete our death lineup.

But the main thing about the lakers is transition offense. If we have guys on our roster not willing to run back then we are screwed. I am not sure if Ariza can put that kind of effort anymore at 35y/o
kingcong95
Junior

Post#404 » by kingcong95 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:30 am

ShayDee wrote:What a minute. Ariza is a name I haven't thought of. I am not sure how partial guaranteed contracts work. If they do not guarantee the 12 mil is he a FA? If he is a FA we should absolutely go for him as back up SF and vet presence . Maybe he still has something left in hi. He could complete our death lineup.

Yes, he would be a free agent if the Blazers don't want him, and they'd be on the hook for only the guaranteed 1.8M. Maybe they would trade him for a small asset if it gets that amount off their books, but there's not really any incentive for us or any other team to do that if we can just sign him for the minimum after he clears waivers.
While he might no longer have the footspeed to defend in transition, I am equally concerned about what might happen to our spacing if his corner shot abandons him.
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#405 » by cladden » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:33 am

TB wrote:That "special opportunity" is nothing surprising. Of course they aren't going to use 30m dollars on a PlumZeller brother or one of the 10 trash Knicks players being rumored.

But if its for an Oubre, Thad, Jonas, Smart, etc type of player... i think that would qualify as special opportunity of a rotation player.

Am I crazy to think that Atlanta might be willing to let Capelo go if we switched picks along with it? Not sure if that is legal or not though.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#406 » by xdrta+ » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:40 am

kingcong95 wrote:
ShayDee wrote:What a minute. Ariza is a name I haven't thought of. I am not sure how partial guaranteed contracts work. If they do not guarantee the 12 mil is he a FA? If he is a FA we should absolutely go for him as back up SF and vet presence . Maybe he still has something left in hi. He could complete our death lineup.

Yes, he would be a free agent if the Blazers don't want him, and they'd be on the hook for only the guaranteed 1.8M. Maybe they would trade him for a small asset if it gets that amount off their books, but there's not really any incentive for us or any other team to do that if we can just sign him for the minimum after he clears waivers.
While he might no longer have the footspeed to defend in transition, I am equally concerned about what might happen to our spacing if his corner shot abandons him.

His contract reads that it's fully guaranteed if he's not waived by Oct 18, but these dates have to be worked out in the negotiations between the league and PA. But I agree, they'll waive him and save $11M.
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#407 » by cladden » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:41 am

kingcong95 wrote:Another option would be to use the TPE to take on an expiring that the other team really wants to get rid of, if they'll give us picks for the trouble.
I'd ask for a first to take Johnson from the Wolves or Young from the Bulls, either of whom can still fit our rotation. Still on the topic of the Bulls, if it's Satoransky or Felicio, I want 2 2nds, preferably later ones since we already have two for each of the next three drafts and none after that. I also wouldn't mind Dedmon and the OKC 2022 pick from the Hawks, a big man who can't just be left open in the corner, while that pick might also satisfy our need for 2nds further down the road if OKC is bad enough that it doesn't convey.
Dedmon, Young, and Sato have partial guarantees in 2021-22 so if we'd rather not keep them we can stretch them over 5 years, in order to keep the tax impact around 3-4M each.
One name I haven't seen much of is Trevor Ariza. Although his best days are clearly behind him, he could be a good influence for Wiggins and whoever we draft. He's non-guaranteed for 12.8M next year, but shouldn't cost too much in trade assets since the Blazers might prefer to let him go for only 1.8M. How do you guys feel about that?
I have a feeling that "special opportunity" might refer to copping Covington or Tucker from the cash-strapped Rockets. Under normal circumstances they'd never do this kind of business with us, but these are anything but.

Color me surprised when you said you couldn't leave Dedmon open in the corner. I don't recall that from his time with us but lo and behold. He has actually shot some 3s in later years. Weird stats TBH, decent in 17-18 and 18-19 and awful/non-existent all other years. I also feel like I remember much more than 4 games that he played for us but I guess not. Might have been preseason or something.
kingcong95
Junior

Post#408 » by kingcong95 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:51 am

cladden wrote:Am I crazy to think that Atlanta might be willing to let Capelo go if we switched picks along with it? Not sure if that is legal or not though.

Capela will fit into the TPE. But he and Draymond on the floor together is a spacing catastrophe; I hope you remember how we completely ran him off the floor in the last 2 series we played against the Rockets. And it would look bad on the Hawks for giving up pick 17 for Capela only to cut the cord before he plays a single game for them.
Mambomuziki
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#409 » by Mambomuziki » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:07 am

kingcong95 wrote:Another option would be to use the TPE to take on an expiring that the other team really wants to get rid of, if they'll give us picks for the trouble.
BRK can offer Prince and # 19 to get money for Harris

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#410 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:27 pm

ShayDee wrote:
TB wrote:That "special opportunity" is nothing surprising. Of course they aren't going to use 30m dollars on a PlumZeller brother or one of the 10 trash Knicks players being rumored.

But if its for an Oubre, Thad, Jonas, Smart, etc type of player... i think that would qualify as special opportunity of a rotation player.

In my books the word "special" would mean either the team gives us an asset to absorb the TPE player or the player is a DPOY level/fringe allstar/allstar potentail/Young player with a ton of upside on a cheap deal(Hawks core, Bulls core etc)

What special is not are players like Snell, Oubre, That, Sato, James Johnson, Fournier, Dedmond etc unless these players come with assets they will not use TPE on them. The FO will not pay 70mil in luxury tax for these players

I think Oubre qualifies because he's not yet 25 years old.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#411 » by Mylie10 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:12 pm

So if we use the TPE on a player, how soon until that player could be traded again?

Any ideas?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#412 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Mylie10 wrote:So if we use the TPE on a player, how soon until that player could be traded again?

Any ideas?

The TPE part doesn't matter. There is no waiting period for trading traded players, there is a waiting period for trading signed free agents, but I don't remember the specifics.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#413 » by Mylie10 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:41 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:So if we use the TPE on a player, how soon until that player could be traded again?

Any ideas?

The TPE part doesn't matter. There is no waiting period for trading traded players, there is a waiting period for trading signed free agents, but I don't remember the specifics.

So I’m theory the idea of trading a guy picked up with the TPE can be dealt right away. Ok, hope that’s right.
Khoee wrote “
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#414 » by TB » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:59 pm

kingcong95 wrote:
cladden wrote:Am I crazy to think that Atlanta might be willing to let Capelo go if we switched picks along with it? Not sure if that is legal or not though.

Capela will fit into the TPE. But he and Draymond on the floor together is a spacing catastrophe; I hope you remember how we completely ran him off the floor in the last 2 series we played against the Rockets. And it would look bad on the Hawks for giving up pick 17 for Capela only to cut the cord before he plays a single game for them.

Capela salary jumps to 17.5 this year, which makes him ineligible for the TPE I believe.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#415 » by BW32 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:44 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

Any ideas?

This isn't completely true, the player you adquire via trade cannot be combined with other players for two months but can be traded on his own right away.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#416 » by xdrta+ » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:56 pm

Any ideas?

Like other trades that acquire a player using an exception (not cap room) a player can be traded immediately as long as his salary is not combined with another player's to make the trade. If it is combined he can't be traded for two months.
kingcong95
Junior

Post#417 » by kingcong95 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:07 pm

TB wrote:
kingcong95 wrote:

Capela salary jumps to 17.5 this year, which makes him ineligible for the TPE I believe.

No, it's 16 because he had 1.5M of bonuses that were likely when he signed with Houston (related to playoff performance and playing 2000 min), but they are now unlikely since he was traded to lottery-bound Atlanta and missed a big chunk of time due to his foot injury.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#418 » by TB » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:11 pm

kingcong95 wrote:
TB wrote:
kingcong95 wrote:

No, it's 16 because he had 1.5M of bonuses that were likely when he signed with Houston (related to playoff performance and playing 2000 min), but they are now unlikely since he was traded to lottery-bound Atlanta and missed a big chunk of time due to his foot injury.

Interesting. I just saw the 17.5m number and assumed that was his full salary, thus being over the 17m TPE. Doubt he's an option regardless.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#419 » by xdrta+ » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:52 pm

TB wrote:
kingcong95 wrote:
TB wrote:

Interesting. I just saw the 17.5m number and assumed that was his full salary, thus being over the 17m TPE. Doubt he's an option regardless.

Kingcong knows his stuff.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#420 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:53 pm

BW32 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Any ideas?

This isn't completely true, the player you adquire via trade cannot be combined with other players for two months but can be traded on his own right away.

True. Can you have a trade for multiple players/assets into the TPE like Mylie was asking? Or is it just one at a time, in which case there would be no restriction for re-trading them.

Return to Golden State Warriors