BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Re: TPE Trade Target Watch 

Post#421 » by BW32 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:05 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
BW32 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
The TPE part doesn't matter. There is no waiting period for trading traded players, there is a waiting period for trading signed free agents, but I don't remember the specifics.

This isn't completely true, the player you adquire via trade cannot be combined with other players for two months but can be traded on his own right away.

True. Can you have a trade for multiple players/assets into the TPE like Mylie was asking? Or is it just one at a time, in which case there would be no restriction for re-trading them.

You can split the TPE into multiple players it's just once they are here we can't just turn around and trade them together or with other salaries to a different team.

Like if say we take JRich and Scott (just examples don't bash me) we could take them both into the TPE but once they are Warriors we'd need to wait two months to trade them together or with other salaries but you could just trade Scott by himself somewhere that's fine. Also an unsigned draft pick doesn't count as salary so that could also go out.
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#422 » by Senchu » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:25 pm

I hope Myers gets Jrue with TPE + something.
Remember how he was guarding KD?
:pray:
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#423 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:38 pm

BW32 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
BW32 wrote:
This isn't completely true, the player you adquire via trade cannot be combined with other players for two months but can be traded on his own right away.

True. Can you have a trade for multiple players/assets into the TPE like Mylie was asking? Or is it just one at a time, in which case there would be no restriction for re-trading them.

You can split the TPE into multiple players it's just once they are here we can't just turn around and trade them together or with other salaries to a different team.

Like if say we take JRich and Scott (just examples don't bash me) we could take them both into the TPE but once they are Warriors we'd need to wait two months to trade them together or with other salaries but you could just trade Scott by himself somewhere that's fine. Also an unsigned draft pick doesn't count as salary so that could also go out.

I knew we could use the TPE for multiple players but not that they can be in the same trade.
kingcong95
Junior
And1: 129

Post#424 » by kingcong95 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:49 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
BW32 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
The TPE part doesn't matter. There is no waiting period for trading traded players, there is a waiting period for trading signed free agents, but I don't remember the specifics.

It is possible to trade for any number of players as long as the combined salary is less than 17.2M. However, since they were acquired with an exception and not cap space, they would all be subject to the no aggregation 60 day period.
For example, it would be OK to acquire both Tomas Satoransky and WCJ from Chicago, since their combined salary is 15.4M < 17.2M, but it would not be allowed to then package both of them with a 1st to Indiana for Myles Turner because that would be an aggregate trade.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#425 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:33 pm

cladden wrote:
TB wrote:That "special opportunity" is nothing surprising. Of course they aren't going to use 30m dollars on a PlumZeller brother or one of the 10 trash Knicks players being rumored.

But if its for an Oubre, Thad, Jonas, Smart, etc type of player... i think that would qualify as special opportunity of a rotation player.

Am I crazy to think that Atlanta might be willing to let Capelo go if we switched picks along with it? Not sure if that is legal or not though.

Hawks fan here - that is not a move Atlanta will make. They specifically got Capela so Collins wouldn't be forced to play so much at C and to be a better defensive team. Most importantly, the Hawks will try to make the playoffs this upcoming season, so trading Capela to move up in this draft would be counter productive.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#426 » by ChuckDurn » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:53 pm

jayu70 wrote:
cladden wrote:
TB wrote:That "special opportunity" is nothing surprising. Of course they aren't going to use 30m dollars on a PlumZeller brother or one of the 10 trash Knicks players being rumored.

But if its for an Oubre, Thad, Jonas, Smart, etc type of player... i think that would qualify as special opportunity of a rotation player.

Am I crazy to think that Atlanta might be willing to let Capelo go if we switched picks along with it? Not sure if that is legal or not though.

Hawks fan here - that is not a move Atlanta will make. They specifically got Capela so Collins wouldn't be forced to play so much at C and to be a better defensive team. Most importantly, the Hawks will try to make the playoffs this upcoming season, so trading Capela to move up in this draft would be counter productive.

Yeah, and Capela doesn’t fit the Warriors’ style, so I don’t think either team would actually consider this.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#427 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:25 pm

kingcong95 wrote:. I also wouldn't mind Dedmon and the OKC 2022 pick from the Hawks, a big man who can't just be left open in the corner, while that pick might also satisfy our need for 2nds further down the road if OKC is bad enough that it doesn't convey.

What's the incentive for Atlanta to send Dedmon AND the OKC 2022 1st to GSW? What are you giving besides the TPE? Hawks aren't dumping him.
We don't need capspace this offseason with $44 million already available. And as you pointed out he is only guaranteed for $1 million next season which works well for Atlanta next off season.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#428 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:55 am

So despite the Warriors saying they'd only use TPE for exceptional players, Bobby Marks said on the Zach Lowe podcast that he'd be really surprised if the Warriors didn't use at least a part of the TPE. Said it's their 3rd best trade asset.

Lowe and Marks were talking and said it would be tough, because for instance if they traded for someone like Oubre, it would cost the Warriors like around $70 million because of the luxury tax.

What is unsettled is where the luxury tax line and apron will be. Cap seems set at $109 million at least and next season should be $115 million. But depends on whether the tax line is $132 million or $139 million.

Most teams and players would all be for the higher number, which would result in a more stronger free agent market. It would also help teams like the Lakers add significant players vs. mainly resigning the players they had.

Maybe 4 teams, which are well under the cap and would get the proceeds of the luxury taxes, would prefer the lower number because it would mean more luxury taxes to them, not to mention giving them advantage in the FA market. These are teams like Atlanta and Detroit.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#429 » by Coxy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:12 am

It would be an interesting exercise then, if it is in fact the case that the Warriors brass don't want to spend $70 million for a Kelly Oubre type, what price they would be willing to pay for a bit of a rotation piece/difference maker to add with the TPE.

Let's just set out some parameters for what they might be willing to spend.

Max salary:
Length of current contract:
Positional player desired:

Let's just say, that a rotation player, had to be paid under $7 million per, signed for at least 2 seasons forward, and was a difference maker as a defencive anchor C, a lights out wing man shooter, or a tall PG that can run the 2nd unit (as an example for their wishes). I wonder what players that sort of brief would bring back. Not many I suspect.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#430 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:52 am

wco81 wrote:So despite the Warriors saying they'd only use TPE for exceptional players, Bobby Marks said on the Zach Lowe podcast that he'd be really surprised if the Warriors didn't use at least a part of the TPE. Said it's their 3rd best trade asset.

Lowe and Marks were talking and said it would be tough, because for instance if they traded for someone like Oubre, it would cost the Warriors like around $70 million because of the luxury tax.

What is unsettled is where the luxury tax line and apron will be. Cap seems set at $109 million at least and next season should be $115 million. But depends on whether the tax line is $132 million or $139 million.

Most teams and players would all be for the higher number, which would result in a more stronger free agent market. It would also help teams like the Lakers add significant players vs. mainly resigning the players they had.

Maybe 4 teams, which are well under the cap and would get the proceeds of the luxury taxes, would prefer the lower number because it would mean more luxury taxes to them, not to mention giving them advantage in the FA market. These are teams like Atlanta and Detroit.

But the players ... ?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#431 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:53 am

Coxy wrote:It would be an interesting exercise then, if it is in fact the case that the Warriors brass don't want to spend $70 million for a Kelly Oubre type, what price they would be willing to pay for a bit of a rotation piece/difference maker to add with the TPE.

Max salary:

Let's just say, that a rotation player, had to be paid under $7 million per, signed for at least 2 seasons forward, and was a difference maker as a defencive anchor C, a lights out wing man shooter, or a tall PG that can run the 2nd unit (as an example for their wishes). I wonder what players that sort of brief would bring back. Not many I suspect.

I think it's more about the player and what it costs in assets to get them whether they use the TPE. If the player is worth it to the team then they go for it. Oubre, Marcus Smart, a few other players maybe. But not just a guy.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#432 » by Coxy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:01 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
Coxy wrote:It would be an interesting exercise then, if it is in fact the case that the Warriors brass don't want to spend $70 million for a Kelly Oubre type, what price they would be willing to pay for a bit of a rotation piece/difference maker to add with the TPE.

Max salary:

I think it's more about the player and what it costs in assets to get them whether they use the TPE. If the player is worth it to the team then they go for it. Oubre, Marcus Smart, a few other players maybe. But not just a guy.

Oubre would be a rental. Anyone on a 1 yr contract that is looking to get paid, should not be a target.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#433 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:54 am

But even the 1 year rental would cost that much, because of luxury taxes.

That is the biggest hindrance to the Warriors using the TPE.

Kerr and Meyers might believe in some vet who is gettable in a trade and Lacob would ask them, is he $65 million better than a minimum-salary vet or a UDFA or maybe one of their second round picks who'd get regular rotation time because of the luxury tax implications?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#434 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:38 am

Coxy wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Max salary:

Oubre would be a rental. Anyone on a 1 yr contract that is looking to get paid, should not be a target.

If they get him they can pay him more as a free agent than the vast majority of teams.

Return to Golden State Warriors