ImageImageImageImageImage

I'm set on getting Hayward.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

I'm set on getting Hayward. 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:18 pm

I think we should definitely wait till the summer to trade DLo, but I'm also setting my sights on being realistic. With that being the case, I think that Hayward would be the most realistic players we can get if we trade DLo. It'll take a multi-team trade but it can be done. If this is the core team, we should be good:

Steph/Klay/Hayward/Green

Then we focus on how we obtain a starting center. The TPE is going to be the best way we can get a starting center of Valanciunas' quality. But he's having such a good season that I don't think he's at all realistic at this point. Maybe if we are willing to part ways with the 2020 1st if we don't value it that much, or future 1sts. Dedmon is another candidate for the TE. And the thing is, we wouldn't have to attach anything to get him. Why? Because he's having such a bad season that the Kings want to get rid of him. So unless we somehow think we can change his trajectory, then we should pass. Baynes is a candidate at MLE, but he has played his way out of it. Gasol might be the best choice at the MLE. Or, and this is a shaky or, we just stick with WCS who is going to be priced at the vet. minimum next season. If that is the case, then we better hope Chriss, Spellman, and even Smailagic could be good options off the bench or alternatives.

Aside from that, we need to keep the 2020 1st at all costs. Trading for Hayward will not require us to use it. Unless we value Valanciunas that much, we shouldn't have to use it as well by using the TPE. If we get rid of DLo, we should definitely sign Bowman to a deal similar to Lee's. Bowman can be a good 3rd string pg. But we'll still need a backup pg. And maybe we can draft one in a combo guard like Edwards.

Re-sign Iguodala for the vet. minimum. We all know this is happening.

Other than that, we will see where the young players and rooks fall into place. I think that players like Lee are not certain to stay on this team. I'm glad he's on a non-guaranteed deal. But at the moment, we have too many guards and we need to figure out how to get rid of players like Evans. I'd like to keep GR3 if possible, and would even use some of the MLE to do so, but it's not a big deal if he walks. I'm ready to trade Burks.

So I'll consider us in a good spot if what we'll have to work with by next summer is:

Steph/Klay/Hayward/Green

Looney/Iguodala/Paschall/Spellman/Bowman/Chriss/Poole/Lee/Smailagic

Just need a starting center and a backup pg.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Re: I'm set on getting Hayward. 

Post#2 » by BballIntellect » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Why would Boston want both Kemba and Dlo on the same team ? That's an even worse defensive backcourt than Steph and Dlo.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#3 » by killmongrel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:27 pm

BballIntellect wrote:Why would Boston want both Kemba and Dlo on the same team ? That's an even worse defensive backcourt than Steph and Dlo.

I talked about it having to be a multi-team trade in the op.
BballIntellect
Junior

Post#4 » by BballIntellect » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:29 pm

killmongrel wrote:
BballIntellect wrote:Why would Boston want both Kemba and Dlo on the same team ? That's an even worse defensive backcourt than Steph and Dlo.

Bouton would have to get some strong players from another team in return. They won't gift us Hayward like that.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#5 » by killmongrel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:39 pm

BballIntellect wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Bouton would have to get some strong players from another team in return. They won't gift us Hayward like that.

I picture it as a scenario where Boston not wanting to pay/keep Hayward and using our leverage on Minny using their assets to make the deal happen. I proposed an idea where we could use a team like Detroit for example that sends Drummond to Boston. Hayward goes to GS. DLo goes to Minny. And Detroit gets an expiring Dieng, a good contract in Covington, and assets from Minny. Assets could be going to Boston as well. But those will be coming from Minny and Detroit. Maybe GS can give some garbage 2nd. We can also look to a team like OKC who has Adams. Maybe Adams goes to Boston and they get Dieng, Covington, and assets for their rebuild.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#6 » by OptionZero » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:19 pm

Only one year at $34M left. Significant injury history.

I'd rather have Jrue Holiday. It's more realistic that NOP would want a younger PnR guy for Zion, that can space, with 3 more years of team control (one more than Holiday). 7 years younger than Holiday
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#7 » by killmongrel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:28 pm

OptionZero wrote:Only one year at $34M left. Significant injury history.

I'd rather have Jrue Holiday. It's more realistic that NOP would want a younger PnR guy for Zion, that can space, with 3 more years of team control (one more than Holiday). 7 years younger than Holiday

We need a small forward. Not another player who will put Klay out of position. We can wait on Jrue since he isn't going anywhere. I'd rather try 1 season of Steph/Klay/DLo than trading him righ away for a player like Jrue.

EDIT: Also, as for Hayward's injury history, aside from the catastrophic injury that he had a few years ago, the guy has average 70+ game seasons his entire career. He looks to finally been recovered from his only major injury. I think he's not too much of a risk.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#8 » by Flash Falcon X » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:48 pm

I'd love Hayward on this team. Great fit.
#DubNation
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#9 » by OptionZero » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:34 pm

killmongrel wrote:

We need a small forward. Not another player who will put Klay out of position. We can wait on Jrue since he isn't going anywhere. I'd rather try 1 season of Steph/Klay/DLo than trading him righ away for a player like Jrue.

EDIT: Also, as for Hayward's injury history, aside from the catastrophic injury that he had a few years ago, the guy has average 70+ game seasons his entire career. He looks to finally been recovered from his only major injury. I think he's not too much of a risk.

what player out there do you think Hayward can guard that Holiday can't?

What do you think Hayward can do offensively that Jrue can't?

While strictly speaking, Hayward is more "SF sized" than jrue, the practical matter is jrue is a wonderful and versatile defender, and between Klay and Jrue, i feel pretty good against any opponent's wing combo. Certainly better than Hayward would - has he proven he can defend ANYONE better than Jrue?

Hayward also lacks team control. He's only got one year left (a player option). yes, we'd have his bird rights, but that's an element of uncertainty that has to be taken into account

I'm not saying there's no Hayward/Dlo trade out there that isn't workable, but he's far from ideal

Are we sure Hayward is better than Covington + Okogie + Dieng + multiple first rounders from MIN?
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#10 » by Bayside » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:46 pm

Just an opinion, not fond of back courts with 2 short guys(NBA Standard). At least were talking about same salary slots on roster instead of giving up that. Prefer the team doesnt swap out that contract for a similar situation we are already in. If that is the choice, same situation, or losing that slot like dieng and covington, pretty sure they stand pat. Put Beal in that same category as well.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#11 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:04 pm

Are we sure Hayward is better than keeping DLO?
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#12 » by a8bil » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:01 am

No to Hayward. This team needs to find its defensive chops to return to its winning ways.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#13 » by Quazza » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:21 am

Jrue > Hayward

(Though he'd also be harder to land )
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:39 am

i appreciate that you're at least aiming for a wing but never been a big Hayward guy and I doubt Boston wants anything to do with DLo
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,165

Post#15 » by cpower » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:44 am

Hayward is like plan D...ok offensive player but limited offense creation...and limited defense..and soft...for 30M a year he is too overpaid...you can get Hayward's impact for a lot of 10-15m players
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#16 » by killmongrel » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:54 am

OptionZero wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

what player out there do you think Hayward can guard that Holiday can't?

What do you think Hayward can do offensively that Jrue can't?

While strictly speaking, Hayward is more "SF sized" than jrue, the practical matter is jrue is a wonderful and versatile defender, and between Klay and Jrue, i feel pretty good against any opponent's wing combo. Certainly better than Hayward would - has he proven he can defend ANYONE better than Jrue?

Hayward also lacks team control. He's only got one year left (a player option). yes, we'd have his bird rights, but that's an element of uncertainty that has to be taken into account

I'm not saying there's no Hayward/Dlo trade out there that isn't workable, but he's far from ideal

Are we sure Hayward is better than Covington + Okogie + Dieng + multiple first rounders from MIN?
Jrue is definitely a better fit than DLo. I agree with that. But I'm not interested in having a core of 3 guards. Not saying it couldn't work. I'm just saying, with the size that the west is rolling out, I'd rather not. And one of the things I believe in is that Jrue isn't going anywhere. So we don't have to be in any rush to acquire him.

As for why I prefer Hayward than Jrue - better shooter. Jrue is a better defender, but Hayward ain't no slouch. Jrue is scoring more at the moment, but he's the second option at NO, while Hayward is the 3rd/4th option at Boston? Better rebounder as well. Adds size to our front court. And best of all, Klay gets to keep playing at sg where he can use his size advantage.

Do I think Hayward is the perfect solution at sf? No. I can see why some people may not like it. But I do think he's better than getting another guard and make our core lineup smaller than what some other teams have.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#17 » by killmongrel » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:14 pm

cpower wrote:Hayward is like plan D...ok offensive player but limited offense creation...and limited defense..and soft...for 30M a year he is too overpaid...you can get Hayward's impact for a lot of 10-15m players

I'd like to hear who those players are and how we can get them.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#18 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:17 am

killmongrel wrote:
cpower wrote:Hayward is like plan D...ok offensive player but limited offense creation...and limited defense..and soft...for 30M a year he is too overpaid...you can get Hayward's impact for a lot of 10-15m players

i'd rather Roco at his contract than Hayward at his tbh, + whatever we get with Roco obviously
freypies
Junior
And1: 120

Post#19 » by freypies » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:04 am

clyde21 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

i'd rather Roco at his contract than Hayward at his tbh, + whatever we get with Roco obviously

Agree. If we are able to get Culver/Okogie + draft pick, that's a much better deal imo.
BballIntellect
Junior

Post#20 » by BballIntellect » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:05 am

freypies wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Agree. If we are able to get Culver/Okogie + draft pick, that's a much better deal imo.

I'm not a fan of getting back Covington/fillers in a Dlo trade but I'd much rather have that than Hayward too. Hayward is soon going to be a free agent and you know his contract aspirations are going to be high. Paying max money or close to it for guys who aren't true difference makers has crippled franchises forever.

Return to Golden State Warriors