ImageImageImageImageImage

Report: Dlo to MIN done (WOJ)

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Re: Report: Dlo to MIN done (WOJ) 

Post#161 » by Warriorfan » Thu Feb 6, 2020 10:50 pm

We sold DLo at a discount to avoid the luxury repeater tax. Hopefully they have the piecea to bring in more veteran depth.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#162 » by zhenyasj » Thu Feb 6, 2020 10:52 pm

This isn't a bad move. Minny has been a terrible situation and Wiggins in the right environment could improve, especially that he's only 24. His stats are pretty identical to D-Lo's and he's a 3.
Ultimately, I think W's are banking on having a large contract and picks to trade in case a star is available. Definitely worth the risk.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#163 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 6, 2020 10:54 pm

cpower wrote:
killmongrel wrote:This move was done to get out of the repeater tax and gamble on Wiggins who might be worse than DLO but a better fit. In other words, this was done for money as part of the motivating factor. We're gonna find out really soon if the Warriors office is full of **** when they say they see potential in Wiggins. This deal would have been on the table during the summer as well as other options. All about money.

wiggins is the league for 6 years now if he had any potential he would have broken out. he is like bargnani to us

I don't like the deal either.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#164 » by marthafokker » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:03 pm

Got to get under that repeater tax.

Team is not getting extra money from the overpriced concession as thought since no one is there to see this mess.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#165 » by michaelm » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:10 pm

I would rather have had Covington for the same money. Wiggins is untradeable so I don’t see how having the slot is helpful since he will be here for the last years of the prime of the core players should they even stay the course.

As someone said though this probably does reflect DLo’s trade value and that he is not actually a good player or in demand other than by Minnesota because of KAT.

The identity of the mastermind who directed GSW’s rise is clear now and probably always has been, it definitely wasn’t Myers or Lacob, and he is now directing the rise of a different franchise, possibly to winning a title this year. If not keeping Jerry West was the start of an economy drive it was the worse cost cutting decision of all. If Lacob is a financial genius I don’t see how an extended period in the wilderness accords with the money he has invested in the new stadium either.

Very happy to be proved wrong a la Monta, but I fear the guy making the good calls roster wise back then is no longer there as per the preceding.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#166 » by NBAWestFan » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:10 pm

Wiggins has alot of potential.

Once he watches Klay and Curry shooting technique.

He does not have a bad shot but it is not good either.

His technique can be perfected and then he can be a great shooter. He is not a broken shooter like Lonzo Ball.

he can be trained
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#167 » by Badly Browned » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:18 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Badly Browned wrote:
cdubbz wrote:Not very happy not getting another 1st round pick. Meyers should have asked for this years wolves pick as well. Smh

Can't ask for consecutive years, and early reports are that 2021 looks to be a deep draft.

Ah I see. Ok makes sense, but the Nets 2020 pick would have been nice.

From The Ringer on Feb 4th, sounds like Bob Myers was against collecting more 2020 picks. The Wolves offered MIN's 2020 and BKN's 2020 1st round picks. Myers wanted an unprotected 2021 1st round pick.

I guess not surprising, seems like everybody is down on this coming draft class.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#168 » by DAWill1128 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:32 pm

This seems more like the haul you would get if D-Lo was forcing his way out.

Is this trade better than just shipping D-Lo for Drummond and Snell on the guarantee Drummond signs back? That unit would have been great defensively.

Is Wiggins a better fit for us than if we just went for Aaron Gordon instead? Or Vucevic? Would D-Lo with a pick for Vucevic made more sense?

I was getting the indication when Covington was shipped for a 1st and Beasley and Hernangomez that the trade would look different. I thought we would have got Wiggins, Beasley, Hernangomez, and two 1st rounders.

I guess the franchise can shop Wiggins + two first rounders for something. Or wait the 60 day or December of next year to pursue Wiggins+Looney/Paschall+2021 pick for something if it’s not working.

Warriors must be confident they are getting Wiseman not to attach the pick with Russell for something better. Maybe they plan on doing what the Mavs did a trade a lottery first+a future first like when they got Doncic.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#169 » by Ganji » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:34 pm

I think the trade is fine. They took the best deal they could. Wiggins and draft picks is decent deal.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#170 » by Onus » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:50 pm

Can someone tell me who to watch for in 2021?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#171 » by HiRez » Thu Feb 6, 2020 11:58 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:This seems more like the haul you would get if D-Lo was forcing his way out.

Is this trade better than just shipping D-Lo for Drummond and Snell on the guarantee Drummond signs back? That unit would have been great defensively.

Is Wiggins a better fit for us than if we just went for Aaron Gordon instead? Or Vucevic? Would D-Lo with a pick for Vucevic made more sense?

I was getting the indication when Covington was shipped for a 1st and Beasley and Hernangomez that the trade would look different. I thought we would have got Wiggins, Beasley, Hernangomez, and two 1st rounders.

I guess the franchise can shop Wiggins + two first rounders for something. Or wait the 60 day or December of next year to pursue Wiggins+Looney/Paschall+2021 pick for something if it’s not working.

Warriors must be confident they are getting Wiseman not to attach the pick with Russell for something better. Maybe they plan on doing what the Mavs did a trade a lottery first+a future first like when they got Doncic.

Drummond would have been a sign & trade I assume. As for Wiseman, assuming he goes #1, they can't have any better than a 14% chance of getting him, so that seems like a bad bet. That's where another first rounder (even outside the top 5) might have helped, they could possibly combine picks to assure they get Wiseman. Or maybe they don't even like Wiseman, IDK.

Still hard for me to believe Lacob isn't going to take a shot at Giannis, but to me it looks like these moves just made that a lot more difficult. Maybe they think Wiggins + 2 FRP gets it done if Giannis makes it clear he intends to leave when his contract is done.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#172 » by jamesnamida » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:04 am

Terrible,
We didn’t even trade a 1st for Wiggins and a protected first.
We traded 2 firsts and iggy.
plus the Positive value of dlo- a freebie for us which Myers squandered.

Wiggins has the physical tools but has always been inefficient- which means he will take away better shots from curry and klay.

Rather have gr3 and trade dlo in the offseason if no good offers came up.
I mean if you really want to go under the tax at least trade dlo for 2 1sts and a neutral asset unlike Wiggins.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,898

Post#173 » by whatisacenter » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:17 am

I'm definitely in the minority who likes this trade. All of you crying about Bob not getting another 1st round pick this year instead of the Wolves pick next year are missing the point that this years draft is weak in comparison to next years projection. I just hope the Wolves don't suck so much next season that they end up with a top 3 pick. The Warriors will be even harder to watch on the court than they have been so far but moving all of these pieces will get the team under the luxury tax will get them a full MLE next season.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#174 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:23 am

I was just thinking when the rumors were GSW cut off talks and were walking away from the Dlo trade to Minn, they should've kept that stance. That pick alone from Minn is bare min I would take to just take on Wiggins deal, sure Dlo also has huge deal but at least he's shown he can play winning ball during his Nets days, but Wiggins on the other hand hasn't won at anything. It took Butler to help Minn shine and he saw 1st hand what type of player Wiggins is and wanted nothing to do with that franchise
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,153

Post#175 » by cpower » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:23 am

whatisacenter wrote:I'm definitely in the minority who likes this trade. All of you crying about Bob not getting another 1st round pick this year instead of the Wolves pick next year are missing the point that this years draft is weak in comparison to next years projection. I just hope the Wolves don't suck so much next season that they end up with a top 3 pick. The Warriors will be even harder to watch on the court than they have been so far but moving all of these pieces will get the team under the luxury tax will get them a full MLE next season.

then we should trade Curry and Klay and start rebuilding now. why waiting for 3 seasons when everyone retires?
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#176 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:25 am

Ganji wrote:I think the trade is fine. They took the best deal they could. Wiggins and draft picks is decent deal.

Covington and the pick wouldn't have been better?
facerizon
Junior
And1: 30

Post#177 » by facerizon » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:43 am

giberish wrote:I don't even see the 'talent' with Wiggins. He's a great empty gym athlete but nothing special as a basketball athlete in the NBA (I mean GRIII is also athletic and signed for a vet min). He's got enough skills to get into trouble thinking he can do more but not enough to really help a good team. His BBIQ is meh at best. He doesn't even have good size - at least for the SF spot that GS will look to play him at.

He could help out with some bench scoring, but he's a big negative as a starting SF. He'll take shots and 'ball' away from better players while being a weak defender.

Isn’t he 6’8”? Not sure about your “good size” argument. DLO sucks. A worse version of Jamal Crawford. I’m not thrilled about Wiggins but considering we shouldn’t have gotten anything from Durant walking at all, I’m happy to take a chance on Wiggins’ potential with a culture shift
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#178 » by Mylie10 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:44 am

michaelm wrote:I would rather have had Covington for the same money. Wiggins is untradeable so I don’t see how having the slot is helpful since he will be here for the last years of the prime of the core players should they even stay the course.

As someone said this probably does reflect DLo’s trade value and that he is not actually a good player or in demand other than by Minnesota because of KAT.

The identity of the mastermind who directed GSW’s rise is clear now and probably always has been, it definitely wasn’t Myers or Lacob, and he is now directing the rise of a different franchise, possibly to winning a title this year. If not keeping Jerry West was the start of an economy drive it was the worse cost cutting decision of all. If Lacob is a financial genius I don’t see how an extended period in the wilderness accords with the money he has invested in the new stadium either.

Very happy to be proved wrong a la Monta, but I fear the guy making the good calls roster wise back then is no longer there as per the preceding.

The thought is that if a disgruntled big name player becomes available, then you have the picks, and the salary slot to get a deal done.

It's flawed thinking, but it is a fallback position.

They saved something like 60 million. They got an excellent pick for next season, I mean potentially are REALLY good pick. They have the 2nd round picks to add to a TPE deal. They can now sign Bowman and Chriss.

Now they need to have Draymond, Ron Adams, Collins, and Kerr to all drill it into Wiggins' head that we need defense first.

If he can focus fully on defense first, then spot up shooting open looks, and using his slashing ability, then things can work.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
cladden
Analyst
And1: 378

Post#179 » by cladden » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:47 am

**** it. I think it will work. Wiggins has as lot of tools. I think he's going to be decent for us. It's basically the bank's money. I don't know what else DLo gets you but we're capped out for years even without the DLo trade and I just don't see how DLo fits in when Steph and Klay comes back. I think the wolves will still miss the playoffs next year and wiggins will thrive on taking 12 shots per game next year.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,153

Post#180 » by cpower » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:48 am

Mylie10 wrote:
michaelm wrote:I would rather have had Covington for the same money. Wiggins is untradeable so I don’t see how having the slot is helpful since he will be here for the last years of the prime of the core players should they even stay the course.

As someone said this probably does reflect DLo’s trade value and that he is not actually a good player or in demand other than by Minnesota because of KAT.

The thought is that if a disgruntled big name player becomes available, then you have the picks, and the salary slot to get a deal done.

It's flawed thinking, but it is a fallback position.

They saved something like 60 million. They got an excellent pick for next season, I mean potentially are REALLY good pick. They have the 2nd round picks to add to a TPE deal. They can now sign Bowman and Chriss.

Now they need to have Draymond, Ron Adams, Collins, and Kerr to all drill it into Wiggins' head that we need defense first.

If he can focus fully on defense first, then spot up shooting open looks, and using his slashing ability, then things can work.

yes there is like 10% of chance that Wiggins can work out...but what if he does not? who is going to take him? I feel like there are like 100 better ways if Myers wants to gamble...why Wiggins? dude has been terrible for 6 years as a negative asset

Return to Golden State Warriors