Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Re: 2021 Roster 

Post#141 » by azwfan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:23 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:Wiggins - We only got to see 12 games of Wiggins with us, but what are your thoughts? He played better on defense than I thought he would. I also think our system has good off ball action that will benefit him. As a 3rd option scorer I actually feel pretty good about Wiggins. I think as he gets older the extra time in the weight room will help him to defend power forwards and also finish inside.

Paschall - Can he take another step forward offensively? If so, he's gonna be a great 6Th man. His ability passing the ball towards the end of the year could really open his game going forward. I wish he defended wings better and maybe that will develop.

Chriss - I am not as high as most are, but I believe high usage for us obscures his real impact. He fills the rim runner energy role. I think he solidified being one of our rotation centers.

Bowman - He is an okay backup point guard. I like his defensive potential.

Lee - Seems like he finally believes he belongs. Lee seemed to overcome a confidence hurdle and it opened up his game. I think he is an okay backup wing.

Mulder - This guy has a sweet shooting stroke and caught me by surprise. His shooting mechanics are picture perfect like Klay. For situations that our forwards are not making 3's I think Mulder could be really valuable with Klay sliding down to small forward.

Looney - Great switch defender, one of the better centers in the NBA defending on the perimeter. Was high on him when he was drafted. The extra time off should help him get right physically.

Poole - It would have helped for him to play another year in college, he wasn't ready. That extra year in college would have bought him another development year to develop for his 2nd contract.

Smiley - His real value will probably be as a stretch 5 when Draymond can't hit anything.

Still think we need three more quality rotation players to get back to the Finals.

A legit starting center, preferably a real 7 footer who can protect the paint.

A good backup small forward defender.

Another backup point guard.

Regarding Wiggins: I think his effectiveness sky rockets based on circumstances. His wing defensive skills next to Draymond, Klay....wow...I see a ton of steals and run outs going the other way next year.

Paschal and Chris are the only other guys I would consider having minutes on a championship team.

Looney has an off the charts defensive IQ...but really disappointed with his offensive skills when given a chance this year :( But I keep him if he's healthy for those super tight moments when a defensive stop MUST be had.

Poole, Smilely, Lee, Bowman...all fun positive dudes but I don't want them touching the ball in a playoff run.

I keep saying it...but Warriors are desperate for vet bench help.

We know from experience that Kerr works hard to prepare rookies and young players to provide minutes all through the playoffs. McCaw and Bell both got double digit minutes as rookies, playing in almost every playoff game as regular rotation players. I'm a lot more comfortable with Lee, Poole, Bowman and to a much lesser extent Smiley getting regular minutes than I was McCaw and Bell as rookies particularly after the first three played major minutes this past season.

So whether you agree with Kerr or not, it's pretty much guaranteed that some or all of those will be seeing regular rotation minutes throughout the season and into the playoffs next year.

It seems clear to me that if we keep our first, and that seems likely considering how little enthusiasm there is for this draft, we're probably drafting someone the FO intends for Kerr to develop into a regular rotation player by the end of the season.

Much, much MUCH(!) lesser extent.

If the coaching staff is going to turn whoever we draft into a rotation player by the playoffs... I want Wiseman.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#142 » by Little Digger » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:53 pm

Looks like my man Bogut is retiring
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Mambomuziki
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#143 » by Mambomuziki » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:50 am

OptionZero wrote:to simplify, since people keep missing this

Option 1:
Use NTPMLE ($9M). Triggers hardcap, effectively kills the TPE. We saw this year what the hardcap does.

Option 2:
Use TPMLE ($5.7M). Total flexibility to use TPE, other minimum exceptions, add salary as much as we can/want up to Lacob's personal tax limit

Choice is pretty obvious.
Can we additional use the following exceptions?
Bi-Annual Exeption $3.8
WCS TPE $2.2

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#144 » by xdrta+ » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Mambomuziki wrote:
OptionZero wrote:to simplify, since people keep missing this

Option 1:
Use NTPMLE ($9M). Triggers hardcap, effectively kills the TPE. We saw this year what the hardcap does.

Option 2:
Use TPMLE ($5.7M). Total flexibility to use TPE, other minimum exceptions, add salary as much as we can/want up to Lacob's personal tax limit

Choice is pretty obvious.
Can we additional use the following exceptions?
Bi-Annual Exeption $3.8
WCS TPE $2.2

The Bi-annual exception also triggers the hardcap.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#145 » by xdrta+ » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:21 pm

This is the Warrior cap situation for next year.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/04/202021-salary-cap-preview-golden-state-warriors.html

It's worth noting that with the eight guaranteed salaries, they start out with a team salary of $142M+. If you add on a top 5 draft pick and fully guarantee Chriss, Lee, and Bowman, it's topping $150M.

Exceptions available: The $17M trade exception, plus a slew of little ones, pretty much unusable, plus the $5M+ MLE. And unlimited minimum salary exceptions.

Being hard-capped won't be a concern because it looks like they'll start out above the Apron. If you're above the Apron, you can't do a S&T, use the non-tax MLE, or use the bi-Annual, all of which would hard-cap you.
Mambomuziki
Freshman

Post#146 » by Mambomuziki » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:12 am

Thanks for the clarifications. Cheers
xdrta+ wrote:This is the Warrior cap situation for next year.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/04/202021-salary-cap-preview-golden-state-warriors.html

It's worth noting that with the eight guaranteed salaries, they start out with a team salary of $142M+. If you add on a top 5 draft pick and fully guarantee Chriss, Lee, and Bowman, it's topping $150M.

Exceptions available: The $17M trade exception, plus a slew of little ones, pretty much unusable, plus the $5M+ MLE. And unlimited minimum salary exceptions.

Being hard-capped won't be a concern because it looks like they'll start out above the Apron. If you're above the Apron, you can't do a S&T, use the non-tax MLE, or use the bi-Annual, all of which would hard-cap you.

DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#147 » by DAWill1128 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:08 am

I saw something interesting that nobody had really proposed. Basically since we are capped at 17.2 million tpe we are somewhat limited. But what we can do is trade the tpe for a player then ship that player with a pick to get someone over that threshold.

Example:
Warriors TPE for Okc's Dennis Schroeder

Warriors trade Dennis Schroeder for Orlando's Aaron Gordon

Picks and filler players can be added to make it work. Either way it's just an example.

C Wiseman, Looney
PF Green, Paschall
SF Wiggins, Gordon
SG Thompson, Lee
PG Curry, MLE pg

Make it work minutes wise by having Green play more minutes at center and Wiggins taking minutes behind Thompson. Allocate the pick and mle on center and point guard.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#148 » by ILOVEIT » Wed May 6, 2020 1:47 am

DAWill1128 wrote:I saw something interesting that nobody had really proposed. Basically since we are capped at 17.2 million tpe we are somewhat limited. But what we can do is trade the tpe for a player then ship that player with a pick to get someone over that threshold.

Example:
Warriors TPE for Okc's Dennis Schroeder

Warriors trade Dennis Schroeder for Orlando's Aaron Gordon

Picks and filler players can be added to make it work. Either way it's just an example.

C Wiseman, Looney
PF Green, Paschall
SF Wiggins, Gordon
SG Thompson, Lee
PG Curry, MLE pg

Make it work minutes wise by having Green play more minutes at center and Wiggins taking minutes behind Thompson. Allocate the pick and mle on center and point guard.

Creative :) As a GM I appreciate moves that are one removed from the obvious. I'm just not a huge Gordon fan....though better than nothing for sure.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#149 » by ILOVEIT » Wed May 6, 2020 2:00 am

Here it is folks....:)

Warriors draft Anthony Edwards. Immediately gives them pop off the bench and a perfect guy in a death lineup when the Warriors go with: Curry, Edwards, Klay, Wiggins, Draymond :)

Warriors use midlevel or whatever it takes with the Iggy exception to bring in Marc Gasol. This allows the Warriors have that Bogut like vet center - similar passer...defender...BUT also a very solid scorer from anywhere.

Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Green, Gasol is the normal starting rotation. No weakness in this starting lineup, including great passing, defending, scoring, rebounding.

Bench: Eric Paschall off the bench for Green, Edwards off the bench for Klay...MC Hammer as the bench center.

This is a championship level team IMO. I could live with Bowman as Curry backup point. With the amount of scoring on the squad I don't think the back up point guard will need to score much and Bowman is a tough guy not afraid to impact the game.

The main thing here is Warriors do NOT try and go big in the draft. Wiseman is just not a wise move for this team IMO. MChriss is already better and Wiseman won't become better in year one or two IMO.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#150 » by xdrta+ » Wed May 6, 2020 2:53 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Here it is folks....:)

Warriors draft Anthony Edwards. Immediately gives them pop off the bench and a perfect guy in a death lineup when the Warriors go with: Curry, Edwards, Klay, Wiggins, Draymond :)

Warriors use midlevel or whatever it takes with the Iggy exception to bring in Marc Gasol. This allows the Warriors have that Bogut like vet center - similar passer...defender...BUT also a very solid scorer from anywhere.

To get Gasol, they would have to sign him for the $5M MLE. He makes too much to trade for him and use the Iggy trade exception.
Mambomuziki
Freshman

Post#151 » by Mambomuziki » Wed May 6, 2020 7:56 am

Is Christian Wood available as a free agent?

xdrta+
General Manager

Post#152 » by xdrta+ » Wed May 6, 2020 2:08 pm

Mambomuziki wrote:Is Christian Wood available as a free agent?

Yes. He had a big year, though, not sure the Warriors can afford him.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#153 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu May 7, 2020 1:16 am

Who's interested in bringing Omari Spellman back, particularly if we don't draft a center?

Minnesota has a 11 guys under contract with Juancho and Beasley needing new deals. The owner has already said he wants to keep both so with their 3 draft picks that's 16. Add in the two 2-way players that were getting regular minutes and it's likely some guaranteed contracts will be traded or cut.

Jarred Vanderbilt's deal is not guaranteed and he doesn't get much run so he'll probably be cut. After that, I'm guessing one or both of Evans and Spellman will be cut.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#154 » by Mylie10 » Thu May 7, 2020 6:40 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:Who's interested in bringing Omari Spellman back, particularly if we don't draft a center?

Minnesota has a 11 guys under contract with Juancho and Beasley needing new deals. The owner has already said he wants to keep both so with their 3 draft picks that's 16. Add in the two 2-way players that were getting regular minutes and it's likely some guaranteed contracts will be traded or cut.

Jarred Vanderbilt's deal is not guaranteed and he doesn't get much run so he'll probably be cut. After that, I'm guessing one or both of Evans and Spellman will be cut.

Could easily use part of our TPE on him.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#155 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu May 7, 2020 8:07 am

Mylie10 wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:Who's interested in bringing Omari Spellman back, particularly if we don't draft a center?

I'd much rather trade for Spellman than bring back Bender.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#156 » by ChuckDurn » Thu May 7, 2020 6:23 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Agreed. I’m not interested in Bender coming back. His “big skill” (hitting the 3) didn’t look good, Spellman’s better at it than he is, and brings other tools as well.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#157 » by Coxy » Fri May 8, 2020 12:41 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Bender blows.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#158 » by azwfan » Fri May 8, 2020 2:57 am

I'd love to bring Spellman back if we have a legit center.
I don't want our center rotation to be: Chriss, Looney, Spellman.
Spellman > Bender.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#159 » by DAWill1128 » Fri May 8, 2020 4:35 am

azwfan wrote:I'd love to bring Spellman back if we have a legit center.
Spellman > Bender.

Totally agree. Our center rotation was really bad this year. We made Jonas Valancuinas look like Hakeem Olajuwon.

23rd overall defense
24Th defensive rebounding
19th most points in the paint
18th total rebounds
22nd blocks per game

Those numbers even seem modest to me, I would have assumed worse based on the eye test. But no part of me wants to roll back back that center rotation for another year, reminded me of when we had Ekpe Udoh and Mikki Moore were here. Let's not forget that it was a purposely tanking rotation.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#160 » by Swift21 » Fri May 8, 2020 5:33 am

azwfan wrote:I'd love to bring Spellman back if we have a legit center.
Spellman > Bender.

I wouldn't mind it but I hope Spellman doesn't balloon up again during this pandemic.

Return to Golden State Warriors