ImageImageImageImageImage

The Now vs. The Future

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

freypies
Junior
And1: 120

Re: The Now vs. The Future 

Post#21 » by freypies » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:17 pm

rtiff68 wrote:This will probably seem like a bit of a cop-out, but I’m not sure you can really answer that question generically.

If you’re able to package this year’s 1st, Minny’s 2021/22, and/or whatever for a player or players that make you the prohibitive favorite or close to it for the next 2-3 years, then you do it. There isn’t currently a generational type of prospect coming down the pipeline, so anything outside of Curry and Klay is tradeable in theory.

That said, we shouldn’t move our draft capital simply to snag the best veteran(s) we can get. If the deal isn’t right, take the BPA and count on your culture, staff, infrastructure, etc. to develop said player.

Cade in quite a few people's opinion is that kind of generational prospect. The problem though is that Cade is very likely to go #1 next year, so there is no way we get him.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#22 » by HiRez » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:37 am

To me Giannis is really the only current player it makes sense to sell out for. By that I mean Wiggins, 2020 and 2021 (MIN) FRPs, and maybe 1-2 additional protected FRPs in the future (I’m assuming it would take that to get it done, if he wants out of MIL of course). He’s barely 25 years old so he fulfills both paths of being both a right-now generational talent, and someone who can take the franchise into the future.

It’s obvious Lacob will take a shot at Giannis, and he should. But if it can’t happen I say maybe go after someone like Simmons if he costs fewer picks. Of course drafting the picks is tempting, but just too risky IMO. I’ll take the known quantity almost every time.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#23 » by Coxy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:05 am

HiRez wrote:To me Giannis is really the only current player it makes sense to sell out for. By that I mean Wiggins, 2020 and 2021 (MIN) FRPs, and maybe 1-2 additional protected FRPs in the future (I’m assuming it would take that to get it done, if he wants out of MIL of course). He’s barely 25 years old so he fulfills both paths of being both a right-now generational talent, and someone who can take the franchise into the future.

It’s obvious Lacob will take a shot at Giannis, and he should. But if it can’t happen I say maybe go after someone like Simmons if he costs fewer picks. Of course drafting the picks is tempting, but just too risky IMO. I’ll take the known quantity almost every time.

Time frame with our current 3 headed monster is crucial.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#24 » by HiRez » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:25 am

By the way, tonight’s loss sealed the fate of the Dubs’ 2020 FRP. It will now officially not be going to Brooklyn. That means it can be traded without conditions, or that they can start planning to draft for real.

Return to Golden State Warriors