ImageImageImageImageImage

Big man targets in the off-season

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Big man targets in the off-season 

Post#21 » by Mylie10 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:36 am

xdrta+ wrote:Anyone want Jordan Bell back? The Grizzlies just waived him.

No
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#22 » by killmongrel » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:50 am

Draft: Wiseman

TPE: Valanciunas(TPE+ future 1st pick+seconds), Turner(TPE+future 1st pick+seconds)

MLE: RoLo, Baynes, Gasol

Vet. Minimum: Noel, Len

I don't think the Warriors are going to put too much resources in a big man. With the emergence of Chriss, with a healthy Looney, their C/Big rotation should be good. They just need a big body to soak up some minutes. They might use the TPE to get a Valanciunas or Turner, but I doubt they would give anything more than a crappy future 1st and seconds. If they draft a center, they're going Wiseman. I don't see them grabbing another undersized C. I really don't see what else they do.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#23 » by Coxy » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:02 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Coxy wrote:After his exhibition yesterday and over the past year or so, how do we add Davis Bertans to this team? He’s a FA I believe.

He is a FA and expected to fetch in the neighborhood of $12-$15 million. The Wizards have his Bird rights, so there's that too. I don't see any way the Warriors can compete for him.

Yeah seems diificult.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#24 » by Commodor » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:31 am

Mylie10 wrote:
Commodor wrote:Bring in Biyombo on a vet min and focus on wings.

Hate his game. Hasn't made an ounce of difference on any of his teams.

Substitute him for any defensive oriented big on the cheap.

Focus on wings.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#25 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:47 am

Kelly Olynyk has a player option next year for about $13M. I’m not sure if it would be viable to take him in via the TPE (if he exercises the option, are the Heat prevented from trading him? What if he agrees to be dealt as the reason he picks up the option?). Plus, he may just turn down the option and try to sign a new contract for more years and more total money.

But if it could be done, he could be a nice pickup, as a stretch 5 (and he’s hitting 42% from 3 this year).....
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Rudruff
Junior
And1: 120

Post#26 » by Rudruff » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:49 am

The Warriors best strategy for countering a big center is a small lineup. That said, I think they need a RoLo, Gasol, or Baynes more than another young center with upside.

The bigger defensive need is how to handle elite ball-handling forwards. I would draft any position with the ability to do that.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#27 » by xdrta+ » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:08 am

ChuckDurn wrote:Kelly Olynyk has a player option next year for about $13M. I’m not sure if it would be viable to take him in via the TPE (if he exercises the option, are the Heat prevented from trading him? What if he agrees to be dealt as the reason he picks up the option?). Plus, he may just turn down the option and try to sign a new contract for more years and more total money.

But if it could be done, he could be a nice pickup, as a stretch 5 (and he’s hitting 42% from 3 this year).....

If he exercises his option, it's just like any other contract and the Heat could trade him. But his option is for $12.1M and it's very difficult to see how the Warriors could trade for that mid-range amount. They have no one in between Draymond's $22M and Looney's $4.8M. Now, maybe Miami would take draft picks and the W's could fit him in the TPE, but it looks dicey to me.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,808

Post#28 » by giberish » Tue Mar 3, 2020 6:02 am

I disagree with the OP. GS doesn't need a great all-around center to compete next season. Even before KD, GS won 140 games over 2 seasons and 31 playoff games without a great all-around center. Bogut was a top defender but weak on offense (and minutes-limited). Ezili was also a solid player but not great.

IMO plan A would be to get a high-quality SF option - with 2015 Iggy level all-around impact. Then probably fill the center spot with the 'no hard cap' MLE. IMO the center market is team friendly enough to get a solid guy for that - especially if they're offering 2 or 3 year deals as opposed to teams planning for 2021 FA. I could imagine getting one of Baynes/Gasol/Ibaka for a 2 or 3 year deal. Then having Looney, spot minutes from Draymond and maybe Chriss for depth being fine.

Of course if they can't get another high-impact forward then trying for a team with an elite center and lessor forwards would be a second option.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#29 » by DAWill1128 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 7:45 am

I think we need a big body defensive impact center. Chriss is a nice lob threat but I think he is getting overvalued the way that high use guys on bad teams typically do. Call me old school but I want a guy who doesn't get pushed around, a big guy you aren't sure you want to drive on, a guy who wrestles and enforces. Bogut was a true anchor defender who commanded the interior and allowed Draymond to play free safety, we need that imo.

Robin Lopez could do a lot of good, guys huge and has a 7-6 wingspan. He doesn't have quite the command and savvy of Bogut but he's got some of that brute force that Zaza had. I think we could be a good defensive team again with Lopez.

For some reason I feel like O'Quinn is gonna end up here on the minimum, he's good at a few things I think we like in a center like his passing, screen setting, and physicality.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#30 » by michaelm » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:58 am

Baynes for me, and not just because I am Australian. He is a bruiser who can bang against the big bodied centers, and can also shoot a 3. Chriss off the bench, particularly as a lob threat. Perhaps re-evaluate if they are in a position to draft Spellman.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#31 » by Coxy » Tue Mar 3, 2020 9:48 am

giberish wrote:I disagree with the OP. GS doesn't need a great all-around center to compete next season. Even before KD, GS won 140 games over 2 seasons and 31 playoff games without a great all-around center. Bogut was a top defender but weak on offense (and minutes-limited). Ezili was also a solid player but not great.

IMO plan A would be to get a high-quality SF option - with 2015 Iggy level all-around impact. Then probably fill the center spot with the 'no hard cap' MLE. IMO the center market is team friendly enough to get a solid guy for that - especially if they're offering 2 or 3 year deals as opposed to teams planning for 2021 FA. I could imagine getting one of Baynes/Gasol/Ibaka for a 2 or 3 year deal. Then having Looney, spot minutes from Draymond and maybe Chriss for depth being fine.

Of course if they can't get another high-impact forward then trying for a team with an elite center and lessor forwards would be a second option.

Bogut was NOT weak on offence.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,808

Post#32 » by giberish » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:55 pm

Coxy wrote:
giberish wrote:I disagree with the OP. GS doesn't need a great all-around center to compete next season. Even before KD, GS won 140 games over 2 seasons and 31 playoff games without a great all-around center. Bogut was a top defender but weak on offense (and minutes-limited). Ezili was also a solid player but not great.

Milwaulkee Bogut was good on offense, but post-injury Bogut with GS was a solidly below-average offensive center. He was a good passer and screen-setter, but he couldn't shoot at all (and wasn't a dynamic rim-running finisher either). His defense was enough to be a good player (for the limited minutes he could play) but he wasn't a great all-around center.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#33 » by Mylie10 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 3:54 pm

giberish wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Milwaulkee Bogut was good on offense, but post-injury Bogut with GS was a solidly below-average offensive center. He was a good passer and screen-setter, but he couldn't shoot at all (and wasn't a dynamic rim-running finisher either). His defense was enough to be a good player (for the limited minutes he could play) but he wasn't a great all-around center.

Not gonna find the numbers, but I'm pretty sure our offensive numbers were better with Bogut on the floor, versus off. Because of the solid screen setting, running offense through him, and catching lobs.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#34 » by watch1958 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:40 pm

I miss David West.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#35 » by watch1958 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:46 pm

I'd love to have Jordan Bell back, but only if Kerr was stuck playing him real minutes. Kerr needs someone on the court regularly who bugs the snot out of him, just to keep him on his game. He gets too placid when he has too many well schooled guys like Looney playing for him.

Actually, I feel the same way about the coaching staff now. Too many hard working good guys. He needs someone to rub folks the wrong way.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#36 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Mar 3, 2020 6:53 pm

Bell was such a disappointment. When Big Bob bought that pick and took him I thought we were for sure getting a steal. Kid just turned out to be a dumbass though. When dude said "I like the environment here (Minnesota) better because Coach Saunders listens to Drake" I knew he would never amount to **** :lol:
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
BG
Sixth Man
And1: 458

Post#37 » by BG » Tue Mar 3, 2020 7:20 pm

the funny thing about Bell is, that he was really good in his rookie season until he suffered an ankle injury. After he came back from the injury he just wasn't the same player anymore, almost like his talent and especially his brain left his body during that injury lay-off
Warriors!!!
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#38 » by Mylie10 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 7:39 pm

watch1958 wrote:I miss David West.

Taj Gibson always reminded me a bit of West. Tough guy veteran.

He's probably be gettable as well for nothing. If you have to pay, you move on.

But I could think of worse veterans to have on the bench for depth.
Khoee wrote “
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#39 » by Flash Falcon X » Tue Mar 3, 2020 7:41 pm

andris biedrins.
#DubNation
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Post#40 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:38 pm

cdubbz wrote:Giannis.

And Anthony Davis. LeBron will blame him when they lose in the 2nd round :wink:
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.

Return to Golden State Warriors