Big man targets in the off-season

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Re: Big man targets in the off-season 

Post#41 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:43 pm

Coxy wrote:
giberish wrote:I disagree with the OP. GS doesn't need a great all-around center to compete next season. Even before KD, GS won 140 games over 2 seasons and 31 playoff games without a great all-around center. Bogut was a top defender but weak on offense (and minutes-limited). Ezili was also a solid player but not great.

IMO plan A would be to get a high-quality SF option - with 2015 Iggy level all-around impact. Then probably fill the center spot with the 'no hard cap' MLE. IMO the center market is team friendly enough to get a solid guy for that - especially if they're offering 2 or 3 year deals as opposed to teams planning for 2021 FA. I could imagine getting one of Baynes/Gasol/Ibaka for a 2 or 3 year deal. Then having Looney, spot minutes from Draymond and maybe Chriss for depth being fine.

Of course if they can't get another high-impact forward then trying for a team with an elite center and lessor forwards would be a second option.

Bogut was NOT weak on offence.

Bogut was very good on offense, he just didn't look to score. He always positioned himself well, set great picks, made great passes, and finished around the rim. I'll take that over a guy like DeMarcus Cousins all day. Individual PPG does not = good offense.

Bogut helped the scorers score, and that's when the team was at it's peak.

I still have no idea why he wasn't playing 20-30 mpg in the Finals
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#42 » by michaelm » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:13 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
giberish wrote:I disagree with the OP. GS doesn't need a great all-around center to compete next season. Even before KD, GS won 140 games over 2 seasons and 31 playoff games without a great all-around center. Bogut was a top defender but weak on offense (and minutes-limited). Ezili was also a solid player but not great.

IMO plan A would be to get a high-quality SF option - with 2015 Iggy level all-around impact. Then probably fill the center spot with the 'no hard cap' MLE. IMO the center market is team friendly enough to get a solid guy for that - especially if they're offering 2 or 3 year deals as opposed to teams planning for 2021 FA. I could imagine getting one of Baynes/Gasol/Ibaka for a 2 or 3 year deal. Then having Looney, spot minutes from Draymond and maybe Chriss for depth being fine.

Of course if they can't get another high-impact forward then trying for a team with an elite center and lessor forwards would be a second option.

Bogut was very good on offense, he just didn't look to score. He always positioned himself well, set great picks, made great passes, and finished around the rim. I'll take that over a guy like DeMarcus Cousins all day. Individual PPG does not = good offense.

He didn’t get up and down the court all that fast and his mobility was a problem for perimeter defence.

I think it was possible to devise a tactic to take him out of play as the Cavs more or less did in the 2015 finals, not that this availed them much because it played to other GSW strengths. What I don’t believe is that any tactic which involved even the likes of LeBron and Kyrie getting to the rim at will as they did after Bogut went down in the 2016 finals to take the Cavs to victory was a goer with him on the team.

He was even a better than reasonable scorer before the Stoudemire thing turned the elbow of his shooting arm into a bag of broken biscuits, averaging 16 ppg for the Bucks that year prior to the injury.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#43 » by Coxy » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:56 am

michaelm wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

He didn’t get up and down the court all that fast and his mobility was a problem for perimeter defence.

I think it was possible to devise a tactic to take him out of play as the Cavs more or less did in the 2015 finals, not that this availed them much because it played to other GSW strengths. What I don’t believe is that any tactic which involved even the likes of LeBron and Kyrie getting to the rim at will as they did after Bogut went down in the 2016 finals to take the Cavs to victory was a goer with him on the team.

He was even a better than reasonable scorer before the Stoudemire thing turned the elbow of his shooting arm into a bag of broken biscuits, averaging 16 ppg for the Bucks that year prior to the injury.

Bogut helped unlock arguably the most devastaing back court in NBA history. His offensive screen setting, high post and low post passing and his all round reading of the offence system was crucial to making the team click like clockwork. His finishing around the rim was crucial to help Draymond unlock his passing game as well.

Boguts ability to be a chameleon in our offense to help the team become the best for what they were put together to do is so underated. If we had KAT, or Embiid, or any top offensive scoring centre, we wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as that would have taken away from what the team concept was, which was to unlock our devastating back court shooting, the likes of which had never been unleashed before on the NBA.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#44 » by michaelm » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:13 am

Coxy wrote:
michaelm wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

Bogut helped unlock arguably the most devastaing back court in NBA history. His offensive screen setting, high post and low post passing and his all round reading of the offence system was crucial to making the team click like clockwork. His finishing around the rim was crucial to help Draymond unlock his passing game as well.

Boguts ability to be a chameleon in our offense to help the team become the best for what they were put together to do is so underated. If we had KAT, or Embiid, or any top offensive scoring centre, we wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as that would have taken away from what the team concept was, which was to unlock our devastating back court shooting, the likes of which had never been unleashed before on the NBA.

Absolutely. GSW at their peak didn’t need a center taking shots away from the back court, and Bogut’s screening and passing were highly elite, and as a very close to genuine 7 footer he was good at the rim including finishing lobs. He was also integral to an elite defense, with Draymond acknowledging his tutelage to this day. He did have fairly good touch as well before the elbow injury was my point; whether retaining his touch would have helped GSW who didn’t need shooting from a center much is a different question as you say, particularly given an all-star scorer in David Lee ended up being relegated to the bench.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#45 » by azwfan » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:26 am

How about Milsap as a big man target with the TPMLE?
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#46 » by donkeylips » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:33 am

i would like milsap but wouldn't give the warriors 2020 or t wolves 2021. i don't think the warriors 2021 would be enough incentives for the nuggets to do the trade
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#47 » by xdrta+ » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:24 am

donkeylips wrote:i would like milsap but wouldn't give the warriors 2020 or t wolves 2021. i don't think the warriors 2021 would be enough incentives for the nuggets to do the trade

Milsap's a FA this summer, but I don't know that the $6M MLE is enough to sign him.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#48 » by Mylie10 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 6:33 am

Used to love Millsap, but for the money it would take, I don't think we need him.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,148

Post#49 » by TB » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:49 pm

Unless we can use a trade or MLE on an impact starter like a Ibaka or Turner, I don't really want to use MLE on an old backup type. Would rather use our big chips (FRP, MLE, TPE) on wings and just use vet min or 2nd round pick for center depth. My favorites:

Vet Min: Kyle O'Quinn
2nd Rounder: Xavier Tillman or Udoka Azubuike

One of those mixed in with Looney and Chriss (plus Dray playing some 5) should be fine.

That let's us use FRP on Antman, Okoro, or Avdija. TPE on Iggy or Thad. MLE on Harris or Crowder.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#50 » by Coxy » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:11 pm

I've been watching James Johnson more in his increased minutes in Minnesota, and he looks like a smart, tough basketballer. I think he'd fit into a backup role for us. The guy is tough on defense and racks up steals and blocks. He can guard SF's to C's and can also pass the ball well in an offenseive scheme. Plus, he can kick dudes ass and would fit in a tough role next to Draybeast for minutes. Looks winner.

I hope Myers looks at him closely in free agency. Young guys are great, but you can't substitute experienced, seasoned tough ballers.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#51 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 12:15 am

Coxy wrote:I've been watching James Johnson more in his increased minutes in Minnesota, and he looks like a smart, tough basketballer. I think he'd fit into a backup role for us. The guy is tough on defense and racks up steals and blocks. He can guard SF's to C's and can also pass the ball well in an offenseive scheme. Plus, he can kick dudes ass and would fit in a tough role next to Draybeast for minutes. Looks winner.

I hope Myers looks at him closely in free agency. Young guys are great, but you can't substitute experienced, seasoned tough ballers.

I'm down for that as well.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,148

Post#52 » by TB » Thu Mar 5, 2020 12:42 am

If we don't get another center i'd be very okay with snagging Jae Crowder with the MLE and James Johnson with a vet min.

If your going to go small, lets punch some people in the mouth with those two and Dray.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#53 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:14 am

TB wrote:If we don't get another center i'd be very okay with snagging Jae Crowder with the MLE and James Johnson with a vet min.

If your going to go small, lets punch some people in the mouth with those two and Dray.

I like both of those guys as tough vets. Looked it up and Johnson has a player option of almost 16 mil, that he will almost certainly pick up. Per Hoopshype.

Problem with both of those guys is that neither shoot the 3 well. But for defense and toughness both are good.
Khoee wrote “
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#54 » by Little Digger » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:42 am

TB wrote:If we don't get another center i'd be very okay with snagging Jae Crowder with the MLE and James Johnson with a vet min.

if we sign JJ I get to be President of his fan club..He’s my favorite 9th/10th man
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#55 » by Coxy » Thu Mar 5, 2020 2:14 am

Mylie10 wrote:

I like both of those guys as tough vets. Looked it up and Johnson has a player option of almost 16 mil, that he will almost certainly pick up. Per Hoopshype.

Problem with both of those guys is that neither shoot the 3 well. But for defense and toughness both are good.

TPE?
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#56 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:00 am

Coxy wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

TPE?

He's barely at 30% from 3....that scares me. But he's tough no doubt.

I'm not sure if the Warriors would be willing to use the entire TPE on a guy that has a questionable history.
Khoee wrote “
Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
And1: 281

Post#57 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Sat Mar 7, 2020 5:07 am

Read on Twitter
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#58 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 5:54 am

Coxy wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

TPE?

For all the good things Draymond does I would say James Johnson is the closest thing in being able to duplicate those things. I saw something where last year James Johnson was the second most effective power forward defender behind Draymond.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#59 » by azwfan » Sat Mar 7, 2020 7:11 am

I would like using the TPE to get James Johnson. He can be a rotation player for us and we need those. Not sure what we'd need to give Minnesota in addition to the salary relief. Hopefully one of those recently acquire late 2nds would suffice.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#60 » by Warriors Analyst » Sat Mar 7, 2020 6:53 pm

Baynes at MLE and Johnson with the TPE would be great gets. I doubt Bowman's contract gets guaranteed if the Warriors grab a guard like Hayes or Maledon in the draft, but I could see Toscano Anderson sticking on the roster and Mulder getting a non guaranteed and fighting his way onto the roster. Go into next year with:

Curry / Hayes / Poole
Thompson / Mulder / Poole
Wiggins / Lee / Toscano Anderson
Dray / Johnson / Paschall
Chriss / Baynes / Looney

Smiley toils in the G League.

Baynes would be immensely useful and would make it a lot easier to play Green and Wiggins together. You can also run lineups with Draymond as the nominal point guard that are heavy on shooting and big at every position: Mulder / Lee / Thompson / Green / Baynes etc. Johnson can do much of what Dray does as well and would allow the Warriors to bring Paschall along slowly. Might want one more creator and scorer as opposed to Johnson, but the defensive grit Baynes would bring and the shooting prowess at the 5 would be huge for this team.

Return to Golden State Warriors