ImageImageImageImageImage

GS 1-5 draft no trading the pick

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Re: GS 1-5 draft no trading the pick 

Post#81 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:55 pm

Even if they're unable to trade down -- best scenario is getting the Knicks's #6 and #27 -- why shouldn't they pick a player projected in the mid lottery like Vassell if they determine he's the BPA for their system?

Sure ideally they steal the Knicks blind and get their two first rounders.

But that seems unlikely, unless they got completely clueless execs. There's been a lot of messaging about how weak this draft is so it's unlikely there will be much interest for teams to trade up to the top of the draft.

A pick like Ball or Edwards is really praying on them hitting a higher ceiling -- perennial all-stars.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#82 » by The-Power » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:04 am

wco81 wrote:Even if they're unable to trade down -- best scenario is getting the Knicks's #6 and #27 -- why shouldn't they pick a player projected in the mid lottery like Vassell if they determine he's the BPA for their system?

But that seems unlikely, unless they got completely clueless execs. There's been a lot of messaging about how weak this draft is so it's unlikely there will be much interest for teams to trade up to the top of the draft.

A pick like Ball or Edwards is really praying on them hitting a higher ceiling -- perennial all-stars.

Sure, the draft is weak at the top. But it's still a top pick we're talking about trading. I have no doubts that the Knicks, for instance, don't really care about their 27th pick when they can use it to get the guy they want – that's not a high price to pay. Also, I do believe that some teams will really want Edwards and Ball – as flawed as they might be for top-tier prospects – and using a second (mid-low) first round pick (or a comparable asset) to trade up isn't really what those teams would be worried about.

I just don't see how the proposed Knicks trade is really enticing to us. We want to win now and already have a bunch of young players on the roster. The 27th pick also is not likely to amount to anything really, neither immediately nor in the future, and it's a guaranteed contract we'd be giving out. So if that's the best trade-down deal you can do, without picking up other assets, I'd much rather just take the player we like the most unless we are absolutely positive this player will still be available at #6. After all, even in a draft that is weak at the top, the front office will have players they like more than others in that range.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#83 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:37 pm

^if we can get a Leandro Bolmaro or a Paul Reed at #27 hell ya I would do it, who are u gonna take at #1 or #2 that's way better than what you're gonna get at #6?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#84 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:40 pm

I don't know about Reed but I thought Bolmaro was more middle round, like around #15.

In any event I'm looking at the last 10 years of drafts for players chosen #25-30.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/

These are the obvious ones which have worked out very well:

2011: Jimmy Butler at #30
2013: Gobert at #27, maybe Roberson at #26 until he got injured.
2014: Capela at #25, Bogdanovic at #27
2015: Looney at #30
2016: Siakam at #27
2017: Kuzma at #27, Derrick White at #29 and Josh Hart at #30
2018: Shamet at #26?

So a couple of stars, in the top 20 and then some starters.

There are a lot of rotational players I didn't list so they're good enough to be on NBA teams getting regular minutes but they're not necessarily having big roles on playoffs teams.

So yeah it's probably worth taking a shot. Just need to convince the Knicks then.

Or more ideally, hope Minnesota falls in love with one or two players and are willing to trade #3 and #16 to move up a couple of spots. That would be highway robbery.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#85 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:23 pm

wco81 wrote:Even if they're unable to trade down -- best scenario is getting the Knicks's #6 and #27 -- why shouldn't they pick a player projected in the mid lottery like Vassell if they determine he's the BPA for their system?

So many scenarios.....

if we have the #1 pick, getting #6 + #27 isn’t enough. To get #1, the Knicks have to offer #6 + #27 + Mitchell Robinson. Can’t jump up to #1 by just offering #27.

If we have the #5 pick, I’d be happy trading it for #6 + #27.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#86 » by HiRez » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:23 am

ChuckDurn wrote:if we have the #1 pick, getting #6 + #27 isn’t enough. To get #1, the Knicks have to offer #6 + #27 + Mitchell Robinson. Can’t jump up to #1 by just offering #27.

I don't know, I could maybe see Dubs #1 or #2 and filler for Robinson and NYK #27 (without the #6) for a few reasons:

- If Dubs were interested in Wiseman, Robinson gets them a lot of what Wiseman does, and since he plays for the Knicks, you have to believe he can be even better with better coaches and teammates.
- Robinson's contract will be considerably cheaper than a #1 pick this year (by about $6.5M per year).
- Robinson has 2 years in the NBA experience. While I believe Wiseman's skill will translate to the NBA, with Robinson he's proven that he can play in the league (albeit a little up and down at this point). Offensively he's a little rough, but defensively he's already an impact player, would be our best rim defender since Bogut. They don't call him the Block Ness Monster for nothing.
- #27 pick is a crapshoot, but there's always a few players to be had there.

It would be more tempting if the Knicks other pick was #15-#20, but #27 could work, maybe get a future 2nd or 2.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#87 » by mos_def » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:37 pm

Dropping from the 1st pick, regardless of the talent, to three spots or more down in the draft is well known what it gets. Its pretty much the Webber deal. Some other team did this too with multiple picks.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#88 » by The-Power » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:^if we can get a Leandro Bolmaro or a Paul Reed at #27 hell ya I would do it, who are u gonna take at #1 or #2 that's way better than what you're gonna get at #6?

It's not about getting someone way better, it's about getting the guy you want. I just don't believe the 27th pick is worth limiting your options at the top. If you know the guy you most covet will still be available, then by all means go for it. But if you have a clear preference and that guy might be gone then it's just not worth it.

If you like someone who's still available later in the draft, just use some money to buy an early 2nd round pick or use the 2nd round picks we have to move up. The 27th pick isn't much better anyways – at least not when you trade for it before you even know who's still available by then.

Return to Golden State Warriors