ImageImageImageImageImage

Who takes Wiseman if we fall?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Who takes Wiseman if we fall? 

Post#1 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:04 pm

It seems the consensus of the board is that we're taking Wiseman if he's available when we pick. So the question is what teams are a danger to take him if we don't get the 1st pick?

Cleveland and Minnesota have the greatest chance of picking ahead of us. Cleveland having just trading for Drummond and Minnesota married to KAT means neither team is a threat.

Atlanta is next but they're paying two centers big money for multiple seasons so they also aren't a threat.

Detroit is a threat, having just traded Drummond they could be amenable to taking a talented center prospect. They have Christian Woods playing great but apparently NYK is enamored with him and may offer him a big contract to steal him. What becomes of Mitchell Robinson at that point?

New York and Chicago seem unlikely to covet Wiseman considering they both have young centers they're trying to develop and both teams have needs elsewhere. New York desperately needs a primary ball handler while Chicago needs an athletic forward considering Otto Porter can't stay healthy.

Charlotte would probably be ecstatic to have access to Wiseman but the odds of them leap-frogging us are exceedingly slim so I won't go any further.

The way the odds are set up it's a little better than a coin flip that we pick in the top 4 so there's a significant chance we pick 5th. Of the 3 most likely teams picking ahead of us, I think there is 0 chance they take him.

The worst case scenario would be something like:

1. Cleveland - Avdija
2. Minnesota - Edwards
3. Atlanta - Ball
4. Detroit - Wiseman
5. GSW - ?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Re: Who takes Wiseman if we fall? 

Post#2 » by Little Digger » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:50 pm

Seems a more likely scenario = a team drafting behind us will trade up for the wise man.
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#3 » by Coxy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:58 pm

It would be a crime against humanity if Cleveland landed yet another 1st pick in the draft.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#4 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:17 am

Little Digger wrote:Seems a more likely scenario = a team drafting behind us will trade up for the wise man.

Agreed. I won't feel comfortable if we get worse than the 3rd pick. I'm pretty certain Edwards will be picked before Wiseman and I think Ball has generated enough buzz as the draft's most intriguing PG that someone like the Knicks would be desperate to jump up to 2nd to take him.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
kingcong95
Junior
And1: 129

Post#5 » by kingcong95 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:10 am

I don't really care about LaMelo, let the Knicks take him so that the circus will continue to follow them. Man, we'd have so much leverage if the Knicks fall behind us.

If Wiseman really was available at 5, it would depend on what we're offered by teams with role players (e.g., Oubre, Ariza, Johnson) we'd target with our TPE. He may fit a positional need for us, but he's raw enough that I don't see him as a guy we have to have.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#6 » by Coxy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:59 am

If we get a top 3 pick, and miss on Wiseman or Avdija, then end up taking Lamelo Ball, Ima gonna shoot myself.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#7 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:34 am

Coxy wrote:If we get a top 3 pick, and miss on Wiseman or Avdija, then end up taking Lamelo Ball, Ima gonna shoot myself.

I don't see how the FO or Kerr could want Ball. He doesn't play defense, isn't particularly explosive or quick and shot 37/24/72 in the NBL. What he has is length, court vision and a nice handle but that isn't enough to warrant a top-3 pick imo. Give me a 3D wing with an NBA body like Patrick Williams instead.
The hottest of takes...
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#8 » by Quazza » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:08 am

sounds like the Cavs are more into Edwards (great news)
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,800

Post#9 » by floppymoose » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:02 am

I don't see why Cleveland wouldn't draft Wiseman. Who cares if they have Drummond? They are in asset accumulation mode.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#10 » by azwfan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:47 pm

floppymoose wrote:I don't see why Cleveland wouldn't draft Wiseman. Who cares if they have Drummond? They are in asset accumulation mode.

Also, they gave up practically nothing for Drummond so they are hardly locked into him.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#11 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:55 pm

azwfan wrote:
floppymoose wrote:I don't see why Cleveland wouldn't draft Wiseman. Who cares if they have Drummond? They are in asset accumulation mode.

Also, they gave up practically nothing for Drummond so they are hardly locked into him.

Drummond lately at least is saying all the right things to get Cleveland to buy into him long-term. I certainly hope they agree with him.
The hottest of takes...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#12 » by wco81 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:24 pm

They spent two consecutive first round picks on Sexton and Garland, two smaller guards who need the ball.

So would they triple down and pick Edwards?

What is the difference in cap number between the #1 and the #4 or #5 pick? Is it enough to be worth drafting a little later?
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#13 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:11 pm

wco81 wrote:

They spent two consecutive first round picks on Sexton and Garland, two smaller guards who need the ball.

So would they triple down and pick Edwards?

What is the difference in cap number between the #1 and the #4 or #5 pick? Is it enough to be worth drafting a little later?

There's nothing small about Edwards and I have to believe they realize starting both Sexton and Garland won't lead them to where they want to be. If there's anything NBA teams should have learned about the Lillard/McCollum duo is that starting two smaller and defensively limited guards, no matter how talented they are offensively, can only get you so far.

If the Cavs get the first pick(again) I have no doubt they're picking a big guard/forward, either Edwards or Avdija, rather than try to replace Drummond with Wiseman.
The hottest of takes...
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#14 » by floppymoose » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:15 pm

But by that thinking GS would not have drafted Curry? When you are in Clevelands place dont you just take BPA until you get a couple of true stars?
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#15 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:07 pm

floppymoose wrote:But by that thinking GS would not have drafted Curry? When you are in Clevelands place dont you just take BPA until you get a couple of true stars?

Isn't the consensus coalescing around Edwards as BPA? Particularly for young lottery teams looking to develop into playoff teams? He's got a ways to go but the talent is unmatched by anyone in the draft except Wiseman but with the de-emphasizing of centers in today's NBA doesn't that put Edwards squarely in front?

6'5 225 with speed, strength, explosiveness and a suite of guard skills is the highest level of talent in this draft.

We want Wiseman because he can contribute more immediately with our plan to compete for a chip next season.
The hottest of takes...
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#16 » by floppymoose » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 pm

ok, I didn't realize Edwards was considered BPA. I don't know these players. Thread title had me thinking Wiseman was implicitly BPA.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#17 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:15 pm

Do we really want to invest a top 3 pick in a center? Drafting for fit is a mistake in my opinion.
Steph will be 33 when the playoff will be played next season, I would get the BPA in any case.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#18 » by Coxy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:42 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:Do we really want to invest a top 3 pick in a center? Drafting for fit is a mistake in my opinion.
Steph will be 33 when the playoff will be played next season, I would get the BPA in any case.

Going off the limited college ball that's been played, I'd say that Wiseman is the BPA. You could now however, make a case for Avdija in my opinion, because he's been playing a very high level of basketball in Europe and looking very good. So the risk, is that we take Wiseman and he ends up as an Ayton type, which is fine, however there could be another Doncic type out there.

Of course, there is the flip side to that, and we miss out on an Embiid/lite type player, and select the next Hedo Turkoglu.

Then there's Edwards, who to me looks a little like Bonzi Wells or something to me.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#19 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:36 am

Coxy wrote:
lars_rosenberg wrote:Do we really want to invest a top 3 pick in a center? Drafting for fit is a mistake in my opinion.

Going off the limited college ball that's been played, I'd say that Wiseman is the BPA. You could now however, make a case for Avdija in my opinion, because he's been playing a very high level of basketball in Europe and looking very good. So the risk, is that we take Wiseman and he ends up as an Ayton type, which is fine, however there could be another Doncic type out there.

Of course, there is the flip side to that, and we miss out on an Embiid/lite type player, and select the next Hedo Turkoglu.

Then there's Edwards, who to me looks a little like Bonzi Wells or something to me.

Yeah, I think Edwards and Wiseman are 1a and 1b for BPA. They are certainly the most physically talented players in the draft and I think the comparison of Wiseman to DRob as far as being the most dominant physical specimen on the court most games is as good a comparison as any. Coaching Wiseman up to contribute next season seems a lot more likely than Edwards considering the positions they play.
The hottest of takes...
Coxy
RealGM

Post#20 » by Coxy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:45 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Yeah, I think Edwards and Wiseman are 1a and 1b for BPA. They are certainly the most physically talented players in the draft and I think the comparison of Wiseman to DRob as far as being the most dominant physical specimen on the court most games is as good a comparison as any. Coaching Wiseman up to contribute next season seems a lot more likely than Edwards considering the positions they play.

Is there any fire to the smoke that Edwards has a questionable attitude?

Return to Golden State Warriors