ImageImageImageImageImage

If you were Myers, would you trade Draymond?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Trade Draymond?

Yes, allows for a bit of salary cap relief and go sign a starter/allstar-type player and sign serviceable player who can replicate Green's skillset.
23%
NO! He's a Warriors *Ellis* for life.
73%
Comment below
5%

Total votes: 22

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: If you were Myers, would you trade Draymond? 

Post#21 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun May 3, 2020 3:18 am

East Bay Sports wrote:God no. Never. Not up for discussion.

True blue(and gold) Warriors fan right here. My man.

I don't understand why any Warriors fan would want to trade Dray. We're in one of the truly unique positions in all of sports where we've built a dynasty around an organizational culture. There aren't many examples of that. San Antonio, New England, SF Giants to some extent, hopefully the Niners(it's good to be a BA sports fan).

It's a delicate balance of players, coaching and FO and we've got it now. What it gets is the ability to continually be good without having to sell institutional assets. It takes an FO able to find value where nobody expected such as signing D'lo out of nowhere and turning him into a 25yo 1st overall pick and a valuable 1st. A coaching staff that can turn imperfect talent into championship players such as Klay and Dray. Kerr knew exactly how to build an offense around those two players and both took huge leaps forward as producers because of it. With Curry, it's a little less obvious, he's such a unique talent he would have put up numbers in any system, his numbers under Jackson were still excellent.

And so my point is that we don't need to trade in Dray for value. His greatest value is in cementing cultural continuity and trading him would undoubtedly hurt us more than it would help us, no matter who we got back(within reason, if the Bucks want to swap Giannis for Dray you do it). But us trading Dray for some draft picks because he may(or may not) be slowing down is foolishness.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#22 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun May 3, 2020 9:49 pm

Unfortunately if an offer was there for Giannis, I would trade him. I would bring him back later to retire here and give him a job in the front office or coaching for his contributions to the team.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#23 » by xdrta+ » Sun May 3, 2020 11:04 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:Unfortunately if an offer was there for Giannis, I would trade him. I would bring him back later to retire here and give him a job in the front office or coaching for his contributions to the team.

There will never be an offer for Giannis, so I don't think you have to worry about that.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,386

Post#24 » by svart » Tue May 5, 2020 6:29 am

I 'd only trade him to the Nets :D
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#25 » by HiRez » Wed May 6, 2020 6:55 am

Of course you trade him under the right conditions. Very few players in the league are absolutely untradeable and even some you thought were untradeable (AD, Kawhi, KD, KG, Shaq), turns out they are tradeable after all. And as good as Draymond has been and as much respect as we may have for him, he's not as good as any of those players, even in his prime. Steph's the only Warrior I would immediately reject almost any realistic trade offer for and if he's still here in 4 years or so I can't say I wouldn't consider it then (probably wouldn't though).
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#26 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed May 6, 2020 7:06 am

HiRez wrote:Of course you trade him under the right conditions. Very few players in the league are absolutely untradeable and even some you thought were untradeable (AD, Kawhi, KD, KG, Shaq), turns out they are tradeable after all. And as good as Draymond has been and as much respect as we may have for him, he's not as good as any of those players, even in his prime. Steph's the only Warrior I would immediately reject almost any realistic trade offer for and if he's still here in 4 years or so I can't say I wouldn't consider it then (probably wouldn't though).

Of course, but I don't think that's in the spirit of the question. I think it's wondering if you'd trade him now before he's begun his expected decline for whatever you could get for him. So if you shopped him around and someone offered a mediocre starter, for example Harrison Barnes and a lottery protected 1st round pick, would you do it?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mambomuziki
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#27 » by Mambomuziki » Wed May 6, 2020 8:01 am

I bet, Portland would take him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#28 » by Coxy » Wed May 6, 2020 8:29 am

HiRez wrote:Of course you trade him under the right conditions. Very few players in the league are absolutely untradeable and even some you thought were untradeable (AD, Kawhi, KD, KG, Shaq), turns out they are tradeable after all. And as good as Draymond has been and as much respect as we may have for him, he's not as good as any of those players, even in his prime. Steph's the only Warrior I would immediately reject almost any realistic trade offer for and if he's still here in 4 years or so I can't say I wouldn't consider it then (probably wouldn't though).

I think there is a false assumption of Steph's greatness floating around. His effectivemess is directly linked to his teammates. Draymond, Klay and Steph are a package. They bring out the best in each other. Like MJ and Pippen were a dominant force, so are our boys. If you remove 1 of them, then the whole suffers. They MAY do well elsewhere, but the cohesion they stumbled onto is rare, seriously rare.

You don't trade any of them.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#29 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Wed May 6, 2020 10:18 pm

Since everyone wants the BIG 3 in tact (Curry, Thompson & Green), how about this:

1) Surprisingly draft ANTHONY EDWARDS and call it a day -- It's a BIG IF, if we get #1 pick overall, but doubtful how the NBA is super secretive of their process.

2) Hate me on this, but trade ERIC PASCHAL for mid-1st round pick for PRECIOUS ACHIUWA. He probably won't be gifted offensively as Paschal, but he does so many other things so well [e.g., Versatile defender 1 -5 (Can switch and guard perimeter), rebounding, blocks shots, pretty athletic, rim-runner, attacks the rim.. shooting touch can improve]. I probably just have issues with tweeners..

3) Free Agent Signings:
i) MARC GASOL (C; Unrestricted FA): High Bball IQ and good defender. 35 years old. Think Bogut with a 3 shot.
If not him, HASSAN WHITESIDE (UFA) is another option for us.
ii) JAE CROWDER (SF/PF; Unrestricted FA): All-around good player; Does everything well, but doesn't excel in any of the areas.
iii) DAVIS BERTANS (PF/C; Unrestricted FA): Simply just a 6'10" shooting forward.

Call it an offseason.

Curry/Edwards/Bowman
Thompson/D.Lee/Poole
Wiggins/Crowder/
Green/Chriss/Achiuwa/Bertans
Gasol/Looney/Smiley
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#30 » by HiRez » Wed May 6, 2020 11:27 pm

Coxy wrote:

I think there is a false assumption of Steph's greatness floating around. His effectivemess is directly linked to his teammates. Draymond, Klay and Steph are a package. They bring out the best in each other. Like MJ and Pippen were a dominant force, so are our boys. If you remove 1 of them, then the whole suffers. They MAY do well elsewhere, but the cohesion they stumbled onto is rare, seriously rare.

I gotta totally disagree that Steph's greatness is overrated, but I agree that they're stronger as a unit, especially since they've played essentially their whole careers together. I'd certainly like to keep Draymond, hell, I wish he would retire a Warrior. But do you really think swapping out Draymond for Giannis hurts the effectiveness of Steph or Klay or anyone else? To me that's pouring on rocket fuel. Obviously it's not as simple as swapping Draymond for Giannis, the point is I think breaking Draymond out of the group doesn't automatically mean we get worse. We might, if we're not careful and the new mix is wrong, but it doesn't have to be that way.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#31 » by Coxy » Wed May 6, 2020 11:33 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Since everyone wants the BIG 3 in tact (Curry, Thompson & Green), how about this:

1) Surprisingly draft ANTHONY EDWARDS and call it a day -- It's a BIG IF, if we get #1 pick overall, but doubtful how the NBA is super secretive of their process.

2) Hate me on this, but trade ERIC PASCHAL for mid-1st round pick for PRECIOUS ACHIUWA. He probably won't be gifted offensively as Paschal, but he does so many other things so well [e.g., Versatile defender 1 -5 (Can switch and guard perimeter), rebounding, blocks shots, pretty athletic, rim-runner, attacks the rim.. shooting touch can improve]. I probably just have issues with tweeners..

3) Free Agent Signings:
i) MARC GASOL (C; Unrestricted FA): High Bball IQ and good defender. 35 years old. Think Bogut with a 3 shot.
ii) JAE CROWDER (SF/PF; Unrestricted FA): All-around good player; Does everything well, but doesn't excel in any of the areas.
iii) DAVIS BERTANS (PF/C; Unrestricted FA): Simply just a 6'10" shooting forward.

Call it an offseason.

Curry/Edwards/Bowman
Thompson/D.Lee/Poole
Wiggins/Crowder/
Gasol/Looney/Smiley

Bertans will command a huge salary, and even if we did get him, I have no idea why you have placed him as a 4th string PF.

If we can afford 1 of either Crowder or Gasol, we'd only be able to sign 1 of them as our cap dictates (I believe).
Coxy
RealGM

Post#32 » by Coxy » Wed May 6, 2020 11:35 pm

HiRez wrote:
Coxy wrote:

I gotta totally disagree that Steph's greatness is overrated, but I agree that they're stronger as a unit, especially since they've played essentially their whole careers together. I'd certainly like to keep Draymond, hell, I wish he would retire a Warrior. But do you really think swapping out Draymond for Giannis hurts the effectiveness of Steph or Klay or anyone else? To me that's pouring on rocket fuel. Obviously it's not as simple as swapping Draymond for Giannis, the point is I think breaking Draymond out of the group doesn't automatically mean we get worse. We might, if we're not careful and the new mix is wrong, but it doesn't have to be that way.

There's probably only 2-3 players in the entire league that would potentially make is 'better' than what we have right now in Draymond and the role he plays. Those players, are completely unnattainable unless we want to give up a further major asset as well.

Giannis is a pipe dream.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#33 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu May 7, 2020 12:39 am

I think getting KD on top of having a really good team already will probably be a once in a lifetime thing for this dynasty. Don't expect Giannis to come here only if it requires taking apart our team core.

But, if Giannis has expressed strong interest then coming here and it's a lock, then be prepared to have a target on our backs, yet again.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#34 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu May 7, 2020 12:45 am

Coxy wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Since everyone wants the BIG 3 in tact (Curry, Thompson & Green), how about this:

3) Free Agent Signings:

Call it an offseason.

Curry/Edwards/Bowman
Thompson/D.Lee/Poole
Wiggins/Crowder/
Gasol/Looney/Smiley

Bertans will command a huge salary, and even if we did get him, I have no idea why you have placed him as a 4th string PF.

If we can afford 1 of either Crowder or Gasol, we'd only be able to sign 1 of them as our cap dictates (I believe).

The market is going to dry out on him because he's a one-trick pony, valuing him at least MLE. He'll switch around the frontcourt depending on matchups (Most likely 4 or 5).

Though aging and dealt with an injury this season, still definitely should go with Gasol.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#35 » by Coxy » Thu May 7, 2020 1:21 am

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
Coxy wrote:

3) Free Agent Signings:

Call it an offseason.

Curry/Edwards/Bowman
Thompson/D.Lee/Poole
Wiggins/Crowder/
Gasol/Looney/Smiley

The market is going to dry out on him because he's a one-trick pony, valuing him at least MLE. He'll switch around the frontcourt depending on matchups (Most likely 4 or 5).

Though aging and dealt with an injury this season, still definitely should go with Gasol.

I'd put money on Bertans commanding an 8 figure salary per season in free agency, easily. You say 1 trick pony, I say expert high volume sharpshooter, top 5 in the league. He was having a huge breakout year this season and can torch from range with that size. He's shooting 43% from range on over 8 attempts per game. That efficiency is insane for a guy of 6'10 that can run around off screens like a guard.

He is expected to command a $15-17 million average annual salary, according to several NBA executives

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2874443-caught-in-ugly-marcus-morris-deal-davis-bertans-now-a-coveted-trade-fa-target

I'd just about trade our 1st this season + our MLE for him. Imagine this in game lineup. We'd have 3 of the very best shooters in the NBA on 1 team.

Steph
Klay
Wiggins
Bertans
Green
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#36 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu May 7, 2020 4:02 am

Coxy wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
Coxy wrote:

I'd put money on Bertans commanding an 8 figure salary per season in free agency, easily. You say 1 trick pony, I say expert high volume sharpshooter, top 5 in the league. He was having a huge breakout year this season and can torch from range with that size. He's shooting 43% from range on over 8 attempts per game. That efficiency is insane for a guy of 6'10 that can run around off screens like a guard.

He is expected to command a $15-17 million average annual salary, according to several NBA executives

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2874443-caught-in-ugly-marcus-morris-deal-davis-bertans-now-a-coveted-trade-fa-target

I'd just about trade our 1st this season + our MLE for him. Imagine this in game lineup. We'd have 3 of the very best shooters in the NBA on 1 team.

Steph
Klay
Wiggins
Bertans
Green

I get that, but don’t see us giving Bertans the contract he wants — even with us having the $17 mil TPE from the Iggy trade. That TPE can net us a quality starter rather than a role player.

We should look to use it on a position of need or difference maker. And I see that being used on Marc Gasol, IMO.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#37 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu May 7, 2020 7:34 am

I think Draymond is worth more to the Warriors than he is to other teams. By being a point forward he lets Curry play off the ball. He also helps Curry when Curry gets beat off the dribble.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,404

Post#38 » by ILOVEIT » Mon May 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Question: Is Green more or less value than Gobert. I could totally see Utah loving to have Green. It's exactly the type of personality they need to get them to a next level.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#39 » by Flash Falcon X » Wed May 13, 2020 6:13 pm

I still think Green will surprise a lot of people once he gets to play with Steph and Klay again. Yeah he may not look great with the G-League roster that GSW was forced to play due to all the injuries, but Green in Kerr's offense kills teams because of his ability to pass and make the right plays.

Especially now with KD gone, Green will be able to be himself as the point-forward again whereas with KD he needed the ball a lot. Once KD went down against Houston, Green instantly had a lot of triple doubles and near triple doubles the rest of the postseason.

If anyone is getting traded it'll be Wiggins packaged with our lotto pick.
#DubNation

Return to Golden State Warriors