ImageImageImageImageImage

Former Warriors that would do great in this era

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Former Warriors that would do great in this era 

Post#1 » by cdubbz » Fri May 15, 2020 3:33 am

Obvious question. Feel a good amount of ex NBA players and especially ex Warriors would do excellent in today’s game.

Who do you have from Warrior past that would kill today?

Donyell Marshall - 6’9 Forward. Shot 35% from three career, but had about 3-4 seasons shooting over 40%. Held the 3point made in a game record for a while. Unselfish. Would be all star bound or at least Lamar Odom stardom level today.

Larry Hughes - 6’5 combo guard. Can score, slash, solid handles, decent passer. Shot 30% from 3 but I don’t put too much into it. Some seasons he avg 1-2 3PA a game

Bobby Sura - 6’5 combo guard. Almost same profile as Larry Hughes. His 3point % is low but rarely shot it. Tough guard.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Re: Former Warriors that would do great in this era 

Post#2 » by Quazza » Fri May 15, 2020 4:46 am

first that comes to mind for me is Troy Murphy
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#3 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri May 15, 2020 5:22 am

Good players from the 1980s forward would still be good as long as they were surrounded by 3 point shooters. Not everybody has to shoot the 3 but having a whole team that shoots the 3 poorly gives up the advantage of modern floor spacing.

I think the non-Star 1960s players probably would not be good enough to play in the current NBA but I would consider drafting a Nate Thurmand clone with the number 1 pick in the NBA draft this year.

Mullin, Hardaway and Suranas got me hooked on Warriors when I got to the Bay Area. They would all do fine in this league.
BG
Sixth Man
And1: 458

Post#4 » by BG » Fri May 15, 2020 10:23 am

i always felt that jamison played in the wrong era, where he was considered a tweener. he would be a pretty good option on offense nowadays i think.
Warriors!!!
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#5 » by Flash Falcon X » Fri May 15, 2020 4:13 pm

zarko cabarkapa.

big man who can handle the ball and has potential to be a long range shooter. i think he actually would have been pretty decent on the we believe team if he wasn't injured. nellie loved guys who could handle and shoot.
#DubNation
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#6 » by cdubbz » Fri May 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Quazza wrote:first that comes to mind for me is Troy Murphy

I always liked Murphy jump shooting. He would just need to work on passing and speed and could be serviceable.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#7 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Rick Barry. Any era.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#8 » by Flash Falcon X » Fri May 15, 2020 7:20 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Quazza wrote:first that comes to mind for me is Troy Murphy

I always liked Murphy jump shooting. He would just need to work on passing and speed and could be serviceable.

I remember there were a few games towards the end of his Warriors tenure where Troy Murphy matched up well against Tim Duncan and Duncan was having a hard time guarding him on the perimeter. :lol:
#DubNation
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#9 » by shazam_guy » Fri May 15, 2020 8:12 pm

Sarunas. Definitely Sarunas Marciulonis, who loved to drive to the basket and was also a good passer and a good spot-up shooter. He didn't shoot threes because it wasn't the era, but his stroke was pretty good from 18-20 feet so I think he could adapt.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#10 » by shazam_guy » Fri May 15, 2020 8:17 pm

BG wrote:i always felt that jamison played in the wrong era, where he was considered a tweener. he would be a pretty good option on offense nowadays i think.

I saw Jamison's entire career. He was excellent inside, with one of the quickest shot-releases off an offensive rebound I ever saw. But I have to say I don't think he'd be any different in the modern era -- a good but not overwhelmingly great player, a 3-4-maybe-smallball-5 tweener like Deng or Ibaka. So valuing him is mostly about what you expect from a #1 draft choice.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#11 » by Little Digger » Fri May 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Keith Wilkes-Rick Barry-Phil Smith-Gus Williams-
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#12 » by cdubbz » Sat May 16, 2020 3:25 am

BG wrote:i always felt that jamison played in the wrong era, where he was considered a tweener. he would be a pretty good option on offense nowadays i think.

Iim a HUGE Antawn Jamison fan. Loved him as a kid and always hoped he would be the guy to turn it around.

I think his lack of defense would put him on a low tier today. Offensively he would fit well, but he wouldn’t get the same big contracts I feel as he did in his era.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#13 » by Coxy » Sat May 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Chris Mullin averahed 2.2 3pt FGA's per game for his entire career, and that includes his early years to his later Indy years. At his peak, he was almost 3 per game at great %. If he had the green light to act as a Klay like shooter with ball handling and smarts ability, look out. Add in the square based miltary style haircut, and we have a cult hero superstar on our hands baby. If he even was given a quicker grren light to the tune of 6/7 x 3 point attempts per game with his smarts ability, man, he would have been insane.

Return to Golden State Warriors