ImageImageImageImageImage

Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,391
And1: 3,353
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#161 » by Fischella » Sun Aug 9, 2020 6:30 pm

It's an easy choice, no state taxes and playing with Doncic and KP who are young, vs Curry and Klay, Draymond, who are old and injured
GQ Hot Dog
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,850
And1: 3,860
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#162 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Aug 9, 2020 6:50 pm

Fischella wrote:It's an easy choice, no state taxes and playing with Doncic and KP who are young, vs Curry and Klay, Draymond, who are old and injured


On paper yes but style of play might be a factor. Luka dominates the ball, in fact his 36.68 usg% is second only to Giannis' 37.52 usg% this season and they are the 7th and 8th highest usg% in league history. How do they coexist? KP struggled early this season because he had trouble getting comfortable with the extent Luka dominated the ball. It improved as the season went on and they learned to play together but adding Giannis is going to add complexity to the mix that might leave someone feeling underutilized. It might not be a harmonious fit.

OTOH, nobody dominates the ball on the Warriors. Giannis would fit into a specific role just as Curry, Klay and Dray fit into their specific roles. It's probably the biggest reason why KD left. He wasn't happy fitting into a ball/player movement system getting 17-18 shots per game. He wants an offensive system structured around his isolations where he gets 20-21 shots per game.

What does Giannis want? To see dramatically fewer touches with a ball dominant Doncic? To see a slight tick fewer touches with a team like the Warriors? To maintain his ball dominant role which means he might as well stay with the Bucks?
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
ILOVEIT
RealGM
Posts: 10,799
And1: 1,935
Joined: May 28, 2004

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#163 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Aug 9, 2020 7:47 pm

Eh...it's not complicated. Let's say YOU have a really good friend....you work with him at work. You are both the top performing people at your work. You get a long and would love to work together because you KNOW that it would allow you to be Google (win at least one championship).

Options -
Stay where you are knowing you probably will not a chip on that team (Bucks...even in a finals run....are NOT LIKELY to Clippers, Lakers (and next year a rebuilt Warriors).
Or
Join a team that you've watched go to 5 finals...plays with complete joy...and ensures an epic dynastic run.

:):):)
Looking forward to 2073....bye bye pouting moody Durant...hello again the 73 win style of hoops!
HiRez
General Manager
Posts: 9,245
And1: 1,961
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#164 » by HiRez » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:02 am

Dubs sending Steph to the draft lottery as their rep, we got this.
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 39,103
And1: 8,789
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#165 » by Mylie10 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:08 am

HiRez wrote:Dubs sending Steph to the draft lottery as their rep, we got this.


And Minny sending DLo lol
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TinoDubs
Sophomore
Posts: 196
And1: 35
Joined: Feb 20, 2019

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#166 » by TinoDubs » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:41 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
B-King wrote:
The Maestro wrote:There’s a much better chance than people think that Giannis goes to GSW. Much better.


Bucks will want Klay in the package period.


Doesn’t matter what the Bucks want. The only way Giannis comes here is by forcing his way here. Which means that we don’t have to give them Klay. It would be Wiggins and our draft picks. Possibly Paschall as well.

But it’s highly unlikely that Giannis forces his way here.


Klay won't fit to play in Mil either. If they get Klay, they will trade him for sure. If Giannis leaves, then Bucks will fire sale everyone on a team. None of them can be a #1 guy to build around. If they get Wiggins, it will be really tough for them to trade Wiggins, unless do really really well with the Dubs next year.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
Posts: 7,906
And1: 3,811
Joined: Oct 19, 2010
 

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#167 » by Flash Falcon X » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:49 pm

Obi Toppin will be selected in the 5-10 range but could easily be a steal. Highly athletic for crazy dunks at the rim, but can also shoot 40% from 3. On top of that, he seems like he has the right mindset to keep improving his game (e.g. ballhandling, scoring, passing.)

So many potential sleepers. What a weird draft. There’s no clear cut #1 pick, but at the same time, if the #1 pick isn’t Wiseman, Ball or Edwards then whoever it is is considered a huge reach, but then you have sleepers like Okongwu, Toppin, Avdija, etc. who wouldn’t surprise anyone if they end up being a perennial all-star in the future.
#DubNation
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
Posts: 7,906
And1: 3,811
Joined: Oct 19, 2010
 

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#168 » by Flash Falcon X » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:57 pm

Fischella wrote:It's an easy choice, no state taxes and playing with Doncic and KP who are young, vs Curry and Klay, Draymond, who are old and injured


Giannis fits better in Golden State because Steph and Klay don’t need the ball in their hands to be effective. Giannis is a slasher and the Splash Brothers are shooters. Draymond doesn’t need to score. I couldn’t think of a better fit; GSW allows all players to still play their games naturally without having to change anything in their style.

As with age, Steph and Klay don’t rely on athleticism. They have had old man games since the start so their decline won’t start till late in their careers.

Also, the timing is perfect to allow Giannis to completely take over the team in 4-6 years when he’s in his prime. He has these 4-5 years playing with prime Steph Curry and Klay Thompson, then there’s the final “passing of the torch” in 5 years when Giannis is 30 and ready to elevate his game even further.

It’s not like a Giannis would only have a 1 year window with Steph. It’s the perfect balance of getting to play with Steph but also taking over later on down the road.
#DubNation
HiRez
General Manager
Posts: 9,245
And1: 1,961
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#169 » by HiRez » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:54 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:Obi Toppin will be selected in the 5-10 range but could easily be a steal. Highly athletic for crazy dunks at the rim, but can also shoot 40% from 3. On top of that, he seems like he has the right mindset to keep improving his game (e.g. ballhandling, scoring, passing.)

So many potential sleepers. What a weird draft. There’s no clear cut #1 pick, but at the same time, if the #1 pick isn’t Wiseman, Ball or Edwards then whoever it is is considered a huge reach, but then you have sleepers like Okongwu, Toppin, Avdija, etc. who wouldn’t surprise anyone if they end up being a perennial all-star in the future.

Yeah, it's going to be fun to watch this draft and follow all these guys next few years. As always there will be some top-level busts, but like you said, I think this draft has the capacity to produce quite a lot of legit NBA players who weren't drafted in the top 5. I'm not 100% in love with anyone in the draft but I think maybe even the majority of those in the top 15-20 have a chance to stick around.

I also like Toppin and think he could be really good and contribute right away on the Warriors. I seem to be one of very few who has him in my top 5 though (currently I have him #5). Granted, PF isn't our position of greatest need, but he's versatile with strong inside and outside games. He'd be outstanding in the pick and roll on the Dubs.
Warriors Analyst
Analyst
Posts: 3,070
And1: 1,074
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#170 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:01 pm

HiRez wrote:
Flash Falcon X wrote:Obi Toppin will be selected in the 5-10 range but could easily be a steal. Highly athletic for crazy dunks at the rim, but can also shoot 40% from 3. On top of that, he seems like he has the right mindset to keep improving his game (e.g. ballhandling, scoring, passing.)

So many potential sleepers. What a weird draft. There’s no clear cut #1 pick, but at the same time, if the #1 pick isn’t Wiseman, Ball or Edwards then whoever it is is considered a huge reach, but then you have sleepers like Okongwu, Toppin, Avdija, etc. who wouldn’t surprise anyone if they end up being a perennial all-star in the future.

Yeah, it's going to be fun to watch this draft and follow all these guys next few years. As always there will be some top-level busts, but like you said, I think this draft has the capacity to produce quite a lot of legit NBA players who weren't drafted in the top 5. I'm not 100% in love with anyone in the draft but I think maybe even the majority of those in the top 15-20 have a chance to stick around.

I also like Toppin and think he could be really good and contribute right away on the Warriors. I seem to be one of very few who has him in my top 5 though (currently I have him #5). Granted, PF isn't our position of greatest need, but he's versatile with strong inside and outside games. He'd be outstanding in the pick and roll on the Dubs.


For better worse, I get Amare vibes from Toppin. There's a similar level of explosiveness with the ball in his hands and a similar level of stiffness on the defensive end. He has to be a 5 to survive in this league and I'm not sure he offers a good enough level of rim protection to be on the court in crunch time.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
Posts: 7,906
And1: 3,811
Joined: Oct 19, 2010
 

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#171 » by Flash Falcon X » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
HiRez wrote:
Flash Falcon X wrote:Obi Toppin will be selected in the 5-10 range but could easily be a steal. Highly athletic for crazy dunks at the rim, but can also shoot 40% from 3. On top of that, he seems like he has the right mindset to keep improving his game (e.g. ballhandling, scoring, passing.)

So many potential sleepers. What a weird draft. There’s no clear cut #1 pick, but at the same time, if the #1 pick isn’t Wiseman, Ball or Edwards then whoever it is is considered a huge reach, but then you have sleepers like Okongwu, Toppin, Avdija, etc. who wouldn’t surprise anyone if they end up being a perennial all-star in the future.

Yeah, it's going to be fun to watch this draft and follow all these guys next few years. As always there will be some top-level busts, but like you said, I think this draft has the capacity to produce quite a lot of legit NBA players who weren't drafted in the top 5. I'm not 100% in love with anyone in the draft but I think maybe even the majority of those in the top 15-20 have a chance to stick around.

I also like Toppin and think he could be really good and contribute right away on the Warriors. I seem to be one of very few who has him in my top 5 though (currently I have him #5). Granted, PF isn't our position of greatest need, but he's versatile with strong inside and outside games. He'd be outstanding in the pick and roll on the Dubs.


For better worse, I get Amare vibes from Toppin. There's a similar level of explosiveness with the ball in his hands and a similar level of stiffness on the defensive end. He has to be a 5 to survive in this league and I'm not sure he offers a good enough level of rim protection to be on the court in crunch time.


My bad, meant to say 6-10 range meaning I doubt the Warriors select him. But could be a steal. Toppin also reminds me of Amare.

Reminds me of the 2002 NBA Draft.

We had the #3 pick and selected Mike Dunleavy Jr. and then Amare Stoudemire goes #9. Stoudemire would have been a huge reach going Top 3 in that draft. I guess sometimes having a pick in that 6-10 range can be good, imagine if we had the 5th pick in the 2009 Draft, GSW probably would have selected Ricky Rubio over Steph Curry because of Rubio's professional experience and huge playmaking potential to utilize and develop under Nellie.
#DubNation
Warriors Analyst
Analyst
Posts: 3,070
And1: 1,074
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#172 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:59 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
HiRez wrote:Yeah, it's going to be fun to watch this draft and follow all these guys next few years. As always there will be some top-level busts, but like you said, I think this draft has the capacity to produce quite a lot of legit NBA players who weren't drafted in the top 5. I'm not 100% in love with anyone in the draft but I think maybe even the majority of those in the top 15-20 have a chance to stick around.

I also like Toppin and think he could be really good and contribute right away on the Warriors. I seem to be one of very few who has him in my top 5 though (currently I have him #5). Granted, PF isn't our position of greatest need, but he's versatile with strong inside and outside games. He'd be outstanding in the pick and roll on the Dubs.


For better worse, I get Amare vibes from Toppin. There's a similar level of explosiveness with the ball in his hands and a similar level of stiffness on the defensive end. He has to be a 5 to survive in this league and I'm not sure he offers a good enough level of rim protection to be on the court in crunch time.


My bad, meant to say 6-10 range meaning I doubt the Warriors select him. But could be a steal. Toppin also reminds me of Amare.

Reminds me of the 2002 NBA Draft.

We had the #3 pick and selected Mike Dunleavy Jr. and then Amare Stoudemire goes #9. Stoudemire would have been a huge reach going Top 3 in that draft. I guess sometimes having a pick in that 6-10 range can be good, imagine if we had the 5th pick in the 2009 Draft, GSW probably would have selected Ricky Rubio over Steph Curry because of Rubio's professional experience and huge playmaking potential to utilize and develop under Nellie.


Nellie and Riley have always said they had Steph #2 on their draft board after Blake.
Little Digger
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,512
And1: 2,083
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
Location: The Charcoal State
   

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#173 » by Little Digger » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:20 pm

the most overrated here = Toppin ; Edwards
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Scoots1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 246
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#174 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:26 pm

HiRez wrote:
Flash Falcon X wrote:Obi Toppin will be selected in the 5-10 range but could easily be a steal. Highly athletic for crazy dunks at the rim, but can also shoot 40% from 3. On top of that, he seems like he has the right mindset to keep improving his game (e.g. ballhandling, scoring, passing.)

So many potential sleepers. What a weird draft. There’s no clear cut #1 pick, but at the same time, if the #1 pick isn’t Wiseman, Ball or Edwards then whoever it is is considered a huge reach, but then you have sleepers like Okongwu, Toppin, Avdija, etc. who wouldn’t surprise anyone if they end up being a perennial all-star in the future.

Yeah, it's going to be fun to watch this draft and follow all these guys next few years. As always there will be some top-level busts, but like you said, I think this draft has the capacity to produce quite a lot of legit NBA players who weren't drafted in the top 5. I'm not 100% in love with anyone in the draft but I think maybe even the majority of those in the top 15-20 have a chance to stick around.

I also like Toppin and think he could be really good and contribute right away on the Warriors. I seem to be one of very few who has him in my top 5 though (currently I have him #5). Granted, PF isn't our position of greatest need, but he's versatile with strong inside and outside games. He'd be outstanding in the pick and roll on the Dubs.


I get that Toppin is a great athlete and can shoot, but his D is terrible and the Warriors barely run the pick and roll so skills in that area are essentially wasted.
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 11,065
And1: 3,934
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#175 » by wco81 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:28 pm

To maximize Toppin's effectiveness, if he really is the new Amare, GSW would have to maximize pick and rolls with Curry, like the Suns did with Nash and Amare.

Back then, they wanted him to develop a consistent baseline jumper, to keep defenses honest.

Seems unlikely the Warriors would change their defense around for that.
Scoots1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 246
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#176 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:30 pm

Little Digger wrote:the most overrated here = Toppin ; Edwards


In both cases half their game has to be projected because we haven't seen it on tape.
Scoots1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 246
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#177 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:30 pm

wco81 wrote:To maximize Toppin's effectiveness, if he really is the new Amare, GSW would have to maximize pick and rolls with Curry, like the Suns did with Nash and Amare.

Back then, they wanted him to develop a consistent baseline jumper, to keep defenses honest.

Seems unlikely the Warriors would change their defense around for that.


*offense
User avatar
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
Posts: 10,154
And1: 1,845
Joined: Feb 07, 2010
Location: San Francisco
     

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#178 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:39 pm

Toppin is a beast, I think he'll be 20 ppg right out of the gate. That defense tho...yikes.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
Posts: 7,906
And1: 3,811
Joined: Oct 19, 2010
 

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#179 » by Flash Falcon X » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:45 pm

Little Digger wrote:the most overrated here = Toppin ; Edwards


I'm not worried about GSW selecting Toppin because I'm sure they have a ton of guys ahead of him on their board.

But if anyone believes Edwards is overrated just gotta hope GSW doesn't draft him. Unless GSW has a 4/5 pick, because I doubt Edwards goes past Top 3.
#DubNation
HiRez
General Manager
Posts: 9,245
And1: 1,961
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#180 » by HiRez » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:00 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:I'm not worried about GSW selecting Toppin because I'm sure they have a ton of guys ahead of him on their board.

I don't think a guy who shoots almost 40% from 3, can throw it down inside, run the court and finish consistently, rebounds decently, high BBIQ, scores with high efficiency, and can play small-ball 5 is going to be too low on their board. Also, I don't think his defense is that bad, it's not currently great, but I feel like he's being portrayed as the most awful defender ever and he's not that (similar to how people say Steph is a god-awful defender but he's not all that bad).

Return to Golden State Warriors