ImageImageImageImageImage

Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Little Digger
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,898
And1: 1,870
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Not sure..does anyone know which universe we’re in?
   

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#81 » by Little Digger » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:49 am

The Maestro wrote:I have no idea what people See in LaMelo. He’s a great passer against terrible competition, awesome. He’s also an awful shooter and awful defender against terrible competition. And his family is nuts. Haliburton as a passer is just slightly below Ball and he’s a much better defender and shooter. And Wiseman and Edwards have their warts and issues but no chance in hell I’m taking LaMelo before either of them.
Lonzo Ball is a totally unselfish hard working NBA player..So I just don’t understand how you could say “his family is nuts”..He’s got an a-hole for a dad..So do a lot of people


And Georgia had a losing record playing mostly against bottom feeders..Edwards would go stretches of games where he gave absolutely zero effort defensively or on the boards..+ his shot selection is absolutely putrid..He was awful 80% of the time..totally useless even though he was mostly playing against 6’1 future insurance salesmen .
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,697
And1: 1,449
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#82 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 am

Little Digger wrote:
The Maestro wrote:I have no idea what people See in LaMelo. He’s a great passer against terrible competition, awesome. He’s also an awful shooter and awful defender against terrible competition. And his family is nuts. Haliburton as a passer is just slightly below Ball and he’s a much better defender and shooter. And Wiseman and Edwards have their warts and issues but no chance in hell I’m taking LaMelo before either of them.
Lonzo Ball is a totally unselfish hard working NBA player..So I just don’t understand how you could say “his family is nuts”..He’s got an a-hole for a dad..So do a lot of people


And Georgia had a losing record playing mostly against bottom feeders..Edwards would go stretches of games where he gave absolutely zero effort defensively or on the boards..+ his shot selection is absolutely putrid..He was awful 80% of the time..totally useless even though he was mostly playing against 6’1 future insurance salesmen .


And yet he literally was the most productive Freshman guard in the country.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 28,569
And1: 957
Joined: Apr 27, 2005
   

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#83 » by gswhoops » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Little Digger wrote:
The Maestro wrote:I have no idea what people See in LaMelo. He’s a great passer against terrible competition, awesome. He’s also an awful shooter and awful defender against terrible competition. And his family is nuts. Haliburton as a passer is just slightly below Ball and he’s a much better defender and shooter. And Wiseman and Edwards have their warts and issues but no chance in hell I’m taking LaMelo before either of them.
Lonzo Ball is a totally unselfish hard working NBA player..So I just don’t understand how you could say “his family is nuts”..He’s got an a-hole for a dad..So do a lot of people.

I'm not inclined to hold LaMelo's family against him...I just don't see a lot more than flashy passing and inefficient offense against sub-NCAA level talent.
Scoots1994
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,420
And1: 173
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#84 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:24 pm

BballIntellect wrote:I bet you that Lamelo as a rookie next season will be better than any version of Lonzo. I could be wrong but I like my chances of being proven right. It's the dirty little secret. Everyone around the ball family knows that Lamelo is by far the most talented of the three brothers.

I agree on Lonzo being more all around than Lamelo but being more all around doesn't make you the better player. There's a lot of players more all around than Steph Curry but he has that one elite skill.

I don't like Lamelo as a Warrior because :

1) too much unknown (the shot, the defense)

2) fit concerns

But he's still by far my first pick in the draft because of the raw basketball skill and talent. It's off the charts with Lamelo. He's a basketball wizard. If I'm a lottery team, I take Lamelo. Which is why I hope we get the first pick because you know the Knicks and the Pistons will try to trade up to get him.

It would be nice to get an additional asset along with a player we need.


LaMelo may be better than Lonzo, but that's a bit of a shot in the dark. Yes, he's the most talented in that family, LaVar has been saying that for years. That still doesn't mean he'll be a good team player OR a good fit for the Warriors.

Curry has more than that one elite skill, it's just that that one skill is so far out there it warps the court. If Curry's shooting isn't falling his passing, rebounding, screen setting, and maybe most important his movement, all still help the team. LaMelo's elite skill is not a game changer, and if he can't hit the shots with regularity defenses will sag off him and make those passes and catches harder. And if his defense is as bad as it has looked he'll be torched nightly and be a net negative to his team.

LaMelo might develop a reliable shot.
LaMelo might get his shot form tightened up and quicker.
LaMelo might start to put effort and thought into defense.
LaMelo might be a star ... but it's a long bet.
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,697
And1: 1,449
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#85 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:31 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:LaMelo might be a star ... but it's a long bet.


I'd say the bet is longer for virtually every other player in the Draft.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 28,569
And1: 957
Joined: Apr 27, 2005
   

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#86 » by gswhoops » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:20 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:LaMelo might be a star ... but it's a long bet.


I'd say the bet is longer for virtually every other player in the Draft.

Perhaps, but setting that aside my issue with LaMelo is: if everyone in the draft is a longshot to be a star, what is their medium case scenario? Do they have a path to be a productive NBA player if they're not a star?

Someone like Wiseman or Okoro or Avdija could fall somewhere below "star" and still carve out a good career. I don't really see a middle ground between star and bust for LaMelo.
Little Digger
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,898
And1: 1,870
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Not sure..does anyone know which universe we’re in?
   

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#87 » by Little Digger » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:05 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Little Digger wrote:
The Maestro wrote:I have no idea what people See in LaMelo. He’s a great passer against terrible competition, awesome. He’s also an awful shooter and awful defender against terrible competition. And his family is nuts. Haliburton as a passer is just slightly below Ball and he’s a much better defender and shooter. And Wiseman and Edwards have their warts and issues but no chance in hell I’m taking LaMelo before either of them.
Lonzo Ball is a totally unselfish hard working NBA player..So I just don’t understand how you could say “his family is nuts”..He’s got an a-hole for a dad..So do a lot of people.

I'm not inclined to hold LaMelo's family against him...I just don't see a lot more than flashy passing and inefficient offense against sub-NCAA level talent.
Australian pro league hoops >
NCAA hoops
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,697
And1: 1,449
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#88 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:44 pm

gswhoops wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:LaMelo might be a star ... but it's a long bet.


I'd say the bet is longer for virtually every other player in the Draft.

Perhaps, but setting that aside my issue with LaMelo is: if everyone in the draft is a longshot to be a star, what is their medium case scenario? Do they have a path to be a productive NBA player if they're not a star?

Someone like Wiseman or Okoro or Avdija could fall somewhere below "star" and still carve out a good career. I don't really see a middle ground between star and bust for LaMelo.


I do. It's similar to what Lonzo is. I mean there's really no reason he can't be at least what his brother has become, and with a higher ceiling. The Warriors would take Lonzo in a heartbeat.
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 38,325
And1: 8,435
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#89 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:31 pm

EvanZ wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
I'd say the bet is longer for virtually every other player in the Draft.

Perhaps, but setting that aside my issue with LaMelo is: if everyone in the draft is a longshot to be a star, what is their medium case scenario? Do they have a path to be a productive NBA player if they're not a star?

Someone like Wiseman or Okoro or Avdija could fall somewhere below "star" and still carve out a good career. I don't really see a middle ground between star and bust for LaMelo.


I do. It's similar to what Lonzo is. I mean there's really no reason he can't be at least what his brother has become, and with a higher ceiling. The Warriors would take Lonzo in a heartbeat.


I will differ with you on Lamelo and Lonzo. Lonzo is not a ball stopper and is amazing at finding guys within the offense and on the break. Lamelo is also a really good passer in all areas, but is extremely ball dominant.

On defense there is no comparison, because Lonzo defends well and Lamelo is a turnstile. For the Warriors, they really need a solid wing defender and someone who can at least get in front of some of the leagues best guards.

Lamelo being a ball dominant player, who if he had to tone that down style, isn’t an efficient enough shooter from outside to warrant being picked that high. Add the lack of defense, and I don’t see him being worthy of their top pick.
Quazza - Zion was kinda like watching an old Godzilla movie where hes just walking around a miniature city and smashing everything
BballIntellect
Junior
Posts: 256
And1: 77
Joined: Sep 04, 2019
   

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#90 » by BballIntellect » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Perhaps, but setting that aside my issue with LaMelo is: if everyone in the draft is a longshot to be a star, what is their medium case scenario? Do they have a path to be a productive NBA player if they're not a star?

Someone like Wiseman or Okoro or Avdija could fall somewhere below "star" and still carve out a good career. I don't really see a middle ground between star and bust for LaMelo.


I do. It's similar to what Lonzo is. I mean there's really no reason he can't be at least what his brother has become, and with a higher ceiling. The Warriors would take Lonzo in a heartbeat.


I will differ with you on Lamelo and Lonzo. Lonzo is not a ball stopper and is amazing at finding guys within the offense and on the break. Lamelo is also a really good passer in all areas, but is extremely ball dominant.

On defense there is no comparison, because Lonzo defends well and Lamelo is a turnstile. For the Warriors, they really need a solid wing defender and someone who can at least get in front of some of the leagues best guards.

Lamelo being a ball dominant player, who if he had to tone that down style, isn’t an efficient enough shooter from outside to warrant being picked that high. Add the lack of defense, and I don’t see him being worthy of their top pick.


Your concern is legitimate and all of those question marks surrounding Lamelo is why I don't want the Warriors to draft him. However, Warriors fans are very inconsistent when it comes to determining which player is ball dominant and which one is not. Haliburton, for instance, is just as ball dominant as Lamelo and is actually one of the players in the draft who holds the ball in his hands the longest per possession yet I don't see them talking about him being ball dominant because they prefer the prospect. People should tell it like it is and base their opinion on facts. Not on personal bias.
User avatar
The Maestro
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,475
And1: 32
Joined: Oct 03, 2010

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#91 » by The Maestro » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:57 pm

Haliburton is basically just a better shooting Lonzo Ball.
User avatar
The Maestro
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,475
And1: 32
Joined: Oct 03, 2010

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#92 » by The Maestro » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 pm

EvanZ wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
I'd say the bet is longer for virtually every other player in the Draft.

Perhaps, but setting that aside my issue with LaMelo is: if everyone in the draft is a longshot to be a star, what is their medium case scenario? Do they have a path to be a productive NBA player if they're not a star?

Someone like Wiseman or Okoro or Avdija could fall somewhere below "star" and still carve out a good career. I don't really see a middle ground between star and bust for LaMelo.


I do. It's similar to what Lonzo is. I mean there's really no reason he can't be at least what his brother has become, and with a higher ceiling. The Warriors would take Lonzo in a heartbeat.


If they take him, it’ll be for another team
BballIntellect
Junior
Posts: 256
And1: 77
Joined: Sep 04, 2019
   

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#93 » by BballIntellect » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:00 pm

The Maestro wrote:Haliburton is basically just a better shooting Lonzo Ball.


If he ends up being what you claim he is, that's great value. Especially out of the Top 5.
Scoots1994
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,420
And1: 173
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#94 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:03 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Perhaps, but setting that aside my issue with LaMelo is: if everyone in the draft is a longshot to be a star, what is their medium case scenario? Do they have a path to be a productive NBA player if they're not a star?

Someone like Wiseman or Okoro or Avdija could fall somewhere below "star" and still carve out a good career. I don't really see a middle ground between star and bust for LaMelo.


I do. It's similar to what Lonzo is. I mean there's really no reason he can't be at least what his brother has become, and with a higher ceiling. The Warriors would take Lonzo in a heartbeat.


I will differ with you on Lamelo and Lonzo. Lonzo is not a ball stopper and is amazing at finding guys within the offense and on the break. Lamelo is also a really good passer in all areas, but is extremely ball dominant.

On defense there is no comparison, because Lonzo defends well and Lamelo is a turnstile. For the Warriors, they really need a solid wing defender and someone who can at least get in front of some of the leagues best guards.

Lamelo being a ball dominant player, who if he had to tone that down style, isn’t an efficient enough shooter from outside to warrant being picked that high. Add the lack of defense, and I don’t see him being worthy of their top pick.


Yup yup.
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 38,325
And1: 8,435
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#95 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:03 pm

BballIntellect wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
I do. It's similar to what Lonzo is. I mean there's really no reason he can't be at least what his brother has become, and with a higher ceiling. The Warriors would take Lonzo in a heartbeat.


I will differ with you on Lamelo and Lonzo. Lonzo is not a ball stopper and is amazing at finding guys within the offense and on the break. Lamelo is also a really good passer in all areas, but is extremely ball dominant.

On defense there is no comparison, because Lonzo defends well and Lamelo is a turnstile. For the Warriors, they really need a solid wing defender and someone who can at least get in front of some of the leagues best guards.

Lamelo being a ball dominant player, who if he had to tone that down style, isn’t an efficient enough shooter from outside to warrant being picked that high. Add the lack of defense, and I don’t see him being worthy of their top pick.


Your concern is legitimate and all of those question marks surrounding Lamelo is why I don't want the Warriors to draft him. However, Warriors fans are very inconsistent when it comes to determining which player is ball dominant and which one is not. Haliburton, for instance, is just as ball dominant as Lamelo and is actually one of the players in the draft who holds the ball in his hands the longest per possession yet I don't see them talking about him being ball dominant because they prefer the prospect. People should tell it like it is and base their opinion on facts. Not on personal bias.


Ahhh but the big difference with Halliburton is that he’s an efficient scorer with good percentages across the board. So in a reduced role where the ball has to move, he’s probably a much more dependable shooter. And he’s a better defender.
Quazza - Zion was kinda like watching an old Godzilla movie where hes just walking around a miniature city and smashing everything
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 38,325
And1: 8,435
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#96 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:04 pm

The Maestro wrote:Haliburton is basically just a better shooting Lonzo Ball.


Which is huge in our offense. And a better defender.
Quazza - Zion was kinda like watching an old Godzilla movie where hes just walking around a miniature city and smashing everything
User avatar
The Maestro
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,475
And1: 32
Joined: Oct 03, 2010

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#97 » by The Maestro » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:06 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:Haliburton is basically just a better shooting Lonzo Ball.


Which is huge in our offense. And a better defender.


Yeah I meant that as a compliment
BballIntellect
Junior
Posts: 256
And1: 77
Joined: Sep 04, 2019
   

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#98 » by BballIntellect » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:07 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
BballIntellect wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
I will differ with you on Lamelo and Lonzo. Lonzo is not a ball stopper and is amazing at finding guys within the offense and on the break. Lamelo is also a really good passer in all areas, but is extremely ball dominant.

On defense there is no comparison, because Lonzo defends well and Lamelo is a turnstile. For the Warriors, they really need a solid wing defender and someone who can at least get in front of some of the leagues best guards.

Lamelo being a ball dominant player, who if he had to tone that down style, isn’t an efficient enough shooter from outside to warrant being picked that high. Add the lack of defense, and I don’t see him being worthy of their top pick.


Your concern is legitimate and all of those question marks surrounding Lamelo is why I don't want the Warriors to draft him. However, Warriors fans are very inconsistent when it comes to determining which player is ball dominant and which one is not. Haliburton, for instance, is just as ball dominant as Lamelo and is actually one of the players in the draft who holds the ball in his hands the longest per possession yet I don't see them talking about him being ball dominant because they prefer the prospect. People should tell it like it is and base their opinion on facts. Not on personal bias.


Ahhh but the big difference with Halliburton is that he’s an efficient scorer with good percentages across the board. So in a reduced role where the ball has to move, he’s probably a much more dependable shooter. And he’s a better defender.


I can see what you're saying, especially from a Warriors perspective but he doesn't have close to the ceiling Lamelo has.
User avatar
The Maestro
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,475
And1: 32
Joined: Oct 03, 2010

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#99 » by The Maestro » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:07 pm

BballIntellect wrote:
The Maestro wrote:Haliburton is basically just a better shooting Lonzo Ball.


If he ends up being what you claim he is, that's great value. Especially out of the Top 5.


I doubt they trade down so if they take him it will be in the top 5
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,697
And1: 1,449
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#100 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:11 pm

Ball dominant players don't pass like LaMelo. I'm really not worried about that aspect of his game.

Another reason to take "the best player" --- and not worry about fit --- is he can be a trade asset.

At some point we may need to trade Wiggins. LaMelo may not end up the best fit for us, but he may be the talent needed in the end to get us that piece.

As for Haliburton, I've used Lonzo as a comp, but I think Lonzo is bigger and stronger. Think Vassell or Avdija would be a better value if we're talking a top 5 pick.

Return to Golden State Warriors