ImageImageImageImageImage

Plans for upcoming season and 2022 season (sweepstakes)

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Plans for upcoming season and 2022 season (sweepstakes) 

Post#1 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:44 pm

I'm trying to get a sense of what our ballclub is doing (And from others' input from this board) to prepare for this upcoming season (Forget this season, already, lol.) and next season (2021-2022).

2020 OFFSEASON:
For the 2020-2021 season, these proposed trades is simply to remain competitive but certainly we won't get far. To make this work, I think we'll have to take on some mediocre to pretty bad contracts. In hindsight, however, we acquire an asset/value of a 2020 and/or 2021 draft pick in all trade scenarios. Hoping

New York (2020 6th Pick):
-Trade Wiggins + Looney + Paschal + Top 3 2020 1st Round Pick for Julius Randle + Wayne Ellington + 2021 Future 1st Round Pick (Protected)

Chicago (2020 7th Pick):
-Trade Wiggins + Paschal + Top 3 2020 1st Round Pick for Otto Porter Jr. + Thaddeus Young + 2021 Future 1st Round Pick

Charlotte (2020 8th Pick):
-Trade Wiggins + Paschal + Top 3 2020 1st Round Pick for Nicolas Batum + 2020 8th Pick + 2021 Future 1st Round Pick (Protected)

Washington (2020 9th Pick):
-Trade Wiggins + Looney + Paschal + 2020 Top 3 1st Round Pick for Bradley Beal + 2021 Future First Round Pick (Protected)

Phoenix (2020 10th Pick):
-Trade Wiggins + Paschal + 2020 Top 3 1st Round Pick for Kelly Oubre + Aaron Baynes

Philly (2020 20th Pick):
-Trade Wiggins + Paschal + 2020 Top 3 1st Round Pick for Horford + 2020 20th Pick + 2021 Future 1st Round Pick (Protected)

Of the trade scenarios, CHARLOTTE, PHOENIX, and PHILLY (Though, it's painful, we'd get their 20th Pick and 2021 Future 1st Round Pick) I would pull the trigger on a deal. Question is if these moves will accumulate enough assets to have a run at the Greek Freak or not.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Plans for upcoming season and 2022 season (sweepstakes) 

Post#2 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:15 am

Why are you assuming the Warriors will have a top 3 pick?
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#3 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:48 am

This is a brutal list of trades. Paschall doesn't need to be included in most of them. The Knicks one is awful. Just awful. Randle is a 4 and overlaps with Draymond and your proposed deal leaves a gaping hole at the wing. The Chicago one would be tempting if Porter had any track record of health and a pick swap were included. Otherwise, it's pretty bad. The Charlotte trade is not awful simply because of the pick swap, but Paschall doesn't need to go to Charlotte and it's been two years since Nic Batum has played valuable and meaningful minutes. The Washington trade is the first one I'd seriously consider. I'd just prefer to keep Paschall. The Phoenix trade is way too much value going to Phoenix and Baynes is a free agent, which makes the trade impossible. I like Oubre though and considering the legendary thriftiness of Sarver, I think Oubre is very attainable. I think you can probably get him without including Wiggins or Paschall in a trade. Ideally a pick swap plus Oubre coming back to us. The Philly trade I can't get behind either with Paschall included. I'd do this for a younger Horford and although I think he'd still be a valuable player in Kerr's system, I do fear him getting run off the court as he ages.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#4 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:14 am

Scoots1994 wrote:Why are you assuming the Warriors will have a top 3 pick?

I think worst we can get is 5th pick; Can't get any lower than that. Otherwise, I'm calling conspiracy! Just the odds since we're basically last (Not by much, though).
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#5 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:20 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:This is a brutal list of trades. Paschall doesn't need to be included in most of them. The Knicks one is awful. Just awful. Randle is a 4 and overlaps with Draymond and your proposed deal leaves a gaping hole at the wing. The Chicago one would be tempting if Porter had any track record of health and a pick swap were included. Otherwise, it's pretty bad. The Charlotte trade is not awful simply because of the pick swap, but Paschall doesn't need to go to Charlotte and it's been two years since Nic Batum has played valuable and meaningful minutes. The Washington trade is the first one I'd seriously consider. I'd just prefer to keep Paschall. The Phoenix trade is way too much value going to Phoenix and Baynes is a free agent, which makes the trade impossible. I like Oubre though and considering the legendary thriftiness of Sarver, I think Oubre is very attainable. I think you can probably get him without including Wiggins or Paschall in a trade. Ideally a pick swap plus Oubre coming back to us. The Philly trade I can't get behind either with Paschall included. I'd do this for a younger Horford and although I think he'd still be a valuable player in Kerr's system, I do fear him getting run off the court as he ages.

I've included Paschal in some trade proposals since his value is obviously pretty high right now to help entice and potentially facilitate a trade (Ideally, to acquire 2021 future 1st round pick and other assets, if possible).

However, now having been on a couple boards, Andrew Wiggins and his contract is just not attractive around the league for the next 3-4 years -- even with the top 3-5 2020 draft pick attached. So, we might as well shoot ourselves in the foot and keep Wiggins and his untradeable contract (maybe we'll luck in sometime next year or 2022), accept that we goofed up on it, and move along.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#6 » by azwfan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:16 am

Wiggins contract only gets better as time passes. He’s got 3 yrs left. After next season its 2 years. Summer 2022 he’s a huge healthy 27 yo expiring vet with championship pedigree (hopefully). We really only need to live with our “goof” for 1 offseason.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#7 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:39 am

azwfan wrote:Wiggins contract only gets better as time passes. He’s got 3 yrs left. After next season its 2 years. Summer 2022 he’s a huge healthy 27 yo expiring vet with championship pedigree (hopefully). We really only need to live with our “goof” for 1 offseason.

I've been trying to convince others on the other boards exactly this. But, Wiggins will make $31 mil next season and then $33 mil the following season is just too much for their itty-bitty lil' hearts! They need to suck it up...PAUSE.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#8 » by Coxy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:50 am

I dislike every single one of those trades.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#9 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Coxy wrote:I dislike every single one of those trades.

Coxy, what do you suppose we do? Stay pat and keep our pick? Or have any other suggestions for trading the pick and/or Wiggins?
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#10 » by The Maestro » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:55 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

Coxy, what do you suppose we do? Stay pat and keep our pick? Or have any other suggestions for trading the pick and/or Wiggins?

They will most likely stand pat and keep the pick. Sure they’ll try for Giannis and any other star that suddenly becomes available but it’s unlikely.

They have 3 major assets to work with this off-season and I expect they’ll maximize them all.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#11 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:24 pm

The Maestro wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

They will most likely stand pat and keep the pick. Sure they’ll try for Giannis and any other star that suddenly becomes available but it’s unlikely.

They have 3 major assets to work with this off-season and I expect they’ll maximize them all.

I agree. I doubt that anyone will give up a major piece in this risky draft, and a major piece would be the only reason I see for trading the pick. The trade exception is the toughest nut to crack. If they can find a solid piece there, it will go a long way to making the season successful. The MLE is nothing, $5M or so, maybe even less if the cap drops enough. The best they'll get with that is a journeyman pro, along the lines of GRIII.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:49 pm

I think they will listen to all offers and end up keeping the pick. Ideally they find a trade partner or two and move down in this draft to get a couple guys in this draft.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#13 » by The Maestro » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:50 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
The Maestro wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

I agree. I doubt that anyone will give up a major piece in this risky draft, and a major piece would be the only reason I see for trading the pick. The trade exception is the toughest nut to crack. If they can find a solid piece there, it will go a long way to making the season successful. The MLE is nothing, $5M or so, maybe even less if the cap drops enough. The best they'll get with that is a journeyman pro, along the lines of GRIII.

I think they’ll have better options than you think with the MLE. A lot of teams are going to be cheap this summer and I don’t think there’ll be as many big deals for players.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#14 » by Little Digger » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:01 pm

We need more rookie role players and less veteran role players

One thing that held us back the most from 2014 thru 2019 was the age of our role players..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:47 pm

The Maestro wrote:I think they’ll have better options than you think with the MLE. A lot of teams are going to be cheap this summer and I don’t think there’ll be as many big deals for players.

Guaranteed. Not just the teams but the players will not want to sign reduced deals this offseason. It's going to be like after the draft spike when teams over-spent then didn't have the money in following years but MUCH worse.

Max deals adjust to the changes in the cap so some players may agree to take them, but I expect the majority of the deals to be 1 year or 1+1 year deals.

It's also possible teams will take bad deals to move existing contracts just to get out from under them, even if they are not "bad" contracts.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Little Digger wrote:We need more rookie role players and less veteran role players

One thing that held us back the most from 2014 thru 2019 was the age of our role players..

Rookie or vet they need to be ready to play and they need to play with confidence.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#17 » by OptionZero » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:53 pm

I'll save ya'll some trouble

no one's taking Wiggins' contract

no one wanted it even BEFORE a global pandemic kneecappped business

it sure as hell is gonna take more than Paschall and a pick in a crappy draft to convince someone to eat $30M/year THIS OFFSEASON

if he improves this year and the economy pick back up, there may be movement NEXT summer

did you even consider other teams at all before throwing these out there?

i mean, remember we moved Dlo's contract for wiggins in a nearly salary neutral deal and MIn had to include their picks. in your fantasy trades, other teams are eating way more money
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#18 » by HiRez » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:33 pm

Right now I'm going under the assumption that they keep the pick and don't make a major trade. All the talk about Giannis, Simmons, Embiid, etc. is fun but it's all long-shot stuff, much more likely they just make the pick and then use this year to see if that player is a keeper or tradeable. Along with evaluating how Wiggins fits and improves, how Klay is (probably OK but coming off a major injury you never know), what things Paschall can do (for example can he keep up the excellent passing he showed at the end of last season?).

Which is all reasonable but I do worry about yet another wasted year with the door on the prime years for Steph, Klay, and Draymond beginning to close. We really just have to hope for the best, meaning our pick pans out and can contribute (even if not start), Klay is healthy, Paschall can play, Draymond isn't on a major decline, and the Dubs starters can elevate Wiggins' game beyond Harrison Barnes level.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#19 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:45 pm

HiRez wrote:Right now I'm going under the assumption that they keep the pick and don't make a major trade. All the talk about Giannis, Simmons, Embiid, etc. is fun but it's all long-shot stuff, much more likely they just make the pick and then use this year to see if that player is a keeper or tradeable. Along with evaluating how Wiggins fits and improves, how Klay is (probably OK but coming off a major injury you never know), what things Paschall can do (for example can he keep up the excellent passing he showed at the end of last season?).

Which is all reasonable but I do worry about yet another wasted year with the door on the prime years for Steph, Klay, and Draymond beginning to close. We really just have to hope for the best, meaning our pick pans out and can contribute (even if not start), Klay is healthy, Paschall can play, Draymond isn't on a major decline, and the Dubs starters can elevate Wiggins' game beyond Harrison Barnes level.

I don't think any of those things are unreasonable hopes. In fact, if most of them happen I think they'll have a successful season. The only real danger I see is untimely injuries, as we had last year, but that's true every year for every team, just part of the game.

Return to Golden State Warriors