ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 and 2021 Draft picks

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

radtech
Senior
And1: 46

2020 and 2021 Draft picks 

Post#1 » by radtech » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Anyone else want to just hold on to the picks instead of trading them for a suppose 3rd or 4th star?

Trading down from say 1st down to about the 6th pick(NYK), say Dubs select Ball and trade him to Knicks for all their 2020 draft picks.

The 2021 draft is loaded with potential future all stars. The Wolves top 3 protected pick could be a cornerstone. The Dubs will have their own, the 2021 draft is deep and both 2020 and 2021 will restock their thin bench.

As always sign vets chasing rings but keep all draft picks. By the way, Augustas Marciulionis is avaible to be drafted, son of Sarunas.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Re: 2020 and 2021 Draft picks 

Post#2 » by The Maestro » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:25 pm

They’re going to try and trade the 20/21 picks with Wiggins for a star and will use another 1st rd pick to move Draymond.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#3 » by ShayDee » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:09 pm

I think the warriors this past season after surveying the league for DLo know the importance of 1st round picks. I think they made a mistake being hasty with offloading Iggy for that lightly protected 2024 pick and I highly doubt they would trade any future 1sts unless they are getting a player that would 90% guarantee them a championship like Igyy back in 2014.

But imo I think they should keep them unless we getting Giannis/Simmons/ Maybe Beal. We have other assets that can get us role players. Also for Draymond there are teams that would give us a first for him instead of us giving out one. unless we are dumping him into free cap space without taking salary back
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,233

Post#4 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:26 pm

ShayDee wrote:I think the warriors this past season after surveying the league for DLo know the importance of 1st round picks. I think they made a mistake being hasty with offloading Iggy for that lightly protected 2024 pick and I highly doubt they would trade any future 1sts unless they are getting a player that would 90% guarantee them a championship like Igyy back in 2014.

But imo I think they should keep them unless we getting Giannis/Simmons/ Maybe Beal. We have other assets that can get us role players. Also for Draymond there are teams that would give us a first for him instead of us giving out one. unless we are dumping him into free cap space without taking salary back

As tight as money will be for the next few years, I think it would be hard to find anyone willing to take on Draymond's contract at any price.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 204

Post#5 » by B-King » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:16 pm

Trading down is fine unless they have a shot at Wiseman. I just don't see any trades that involve the 2020 pick and Wiggins that moves the needle enough. Either go really big in a blockbuster or make smaller deals and keep options open in 2021.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#6 » by ShayDee » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:21 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
ShayDee wrote:I think the warriors this past season after surveying the league for DLo know the importance of 1st round picks. I think they made a mistake being hasty with offloading Iggy for that lightly protected 2024 pick and I highly doubt they would trade any future 1sts unless they are getting a player that would 90% guarantee them a championship like Igyy back in 2014.

As tight as money will be for the next few years, I think it would be hard to find anyone willing to take on Draymond's contract at any price.

Hawks, Blazers, Boston, Grizz, Wolves, Pacers (if they move 1 or Tuner/Sabonis), Denver, Heat, Knicks are team I could think of now. Out of those teams Boston, Heat, Portland and Hawks might give a first. Other teams would send salary back or take a first from us if they are absorbing it without giving anything back
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,233

Post#7 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:16 pm

ShayDee wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Hawks, Blazers, Boston, Grizz, Wolves, Pacers (if they move 1 or Tuner/Sabonis), Denver, Heat, Knicks are team I could think of now. Out of those teams Boston, Heat, Portland and Hawks might give a first. Other teams would send salary back or take a first from us if they are absorbing it without giving anything back

I guess I don't see why those teams would want Draymond and the $100M cost that comes with him for the next 4 years. Is he really moving the needle that much for any of them?
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Post#8 » by TB » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:50 pm

I only want to keep draft picks if the return for them doesn't make sense for the next two years. I guess a better way of putting it would be:

- Would i trade everything for a Giannis? Of course.
- Would i trade virtually everything for a Simmons level star? Yes.
- Would i trade a bunch of current/future 1sts for a few guys like Kennard, Smart, Oubre, Jonas, Rubio level player? Yes, for the most part.

Steph/Klay/Dray only come around once in a lifetime. I'm putting all the chips in if it helps the odds for another title. But that shouldn't be mistaken for trading them for the best offer like the Giants did for the majority of the last few years with their young assets. The return needs to be good players. If its for marginal talent, i'd rather just role with a rookie like Okongwu and trust he can do just as good right away as some mid-level vet players.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#9 » by Coxy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:41 pm

I want to keep the picks and draft young guys. There is life after Steph, Klay and Dray afterall. I'd love for them to get another title, but not at the expense of mortgaging the future. We've been spoiled with the last several years of basketball, and it would be great for it to keep rolling, but it is unlikely, so I want to set up for a transition, rather than throw it all into the ring now which may end up with 5-10 years of bottom dwelling again.

Keep the picks draft 2 young guys
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Post#10 » by TB » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:52 pm

Coxy wrote:I want to keep the picks and draft young guys. There is life after Steph, Klay and Dray afterall. I'd love for them to get another title, but not at the expense of mortgaging the future. We've been spoiled with the last several years of basketball, and it would be great for it to keep rolling, but it is unlikely, so I want to set up for a transition, rather than throw it all into the ring now which may end up with 5-10 years of bottom dwelling again.

This is a very fair assessment, and one that could very well be the smart way to go.

I'd mortgage the future if needed. :lol:

There really isn't a correct answer since either can backfire. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle, especially since we have the minny pick... maybe its something like:

Trade down this year and gain a vet + mid round pick.
Trade next years pick and we still have Minny pick.

Best of both worlds maybe.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by The Maestro » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:50 pm

Coxy wrote:I want to keep the picks and draft young guys. There is life after Steph, Klay and Dray afterall. I'd love for them to get another title, but not at the expense of mortgaging the future. We've been spoiled with the last several years of basketball, and it would be great for it to keep rolling, but it is unlikely, so I want to set up for a transition, rather than throw it all into the ring now which may end up with 5-10 years of bottom dwelling again.

It would be criminal to draft multiple young guys and not try to get another star/borderline star/vets to go with the core and go for another title. They’re gonna try to trade all their picks the next 2 years and try and win now. They might not get it done but they’re going to try for sure.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#12 » by Coxy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:54 pm

The Maestro wrote:

It would be criminal to draft multiple young guys and not try to get another star/borderline star/vets to go with the core and go for another title. They’re gonna try to trade all their picks the next 2 years and try and win now. They might not get it done but they’re going to try for sure.

Why do you say this? Is this just an opinion or is there some evidence of this aproach that's been announced or written about?
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by The Maestro » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:58 pm

Coxy wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

Why do you say this? Is this just an opinion or is there some evidence of this aproach that's been announced or written about?

They’re not wasting the end of the Splash bros prime on Haliburton and some 18 year old in 2021. They’re going to try and win a title now. Maybe they can’t pull off a trade for Giannis or Simmons or someone like that but they’re definitely going to try. It’s what championship organizations do.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#14 » by Coxy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:09 am

The Maestro wrote:
Coxy wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

They’re not wasting the end of the Splash bros prime on Haliburton and some 18 year old in 2021. They’re going to try and win a title now. Maybe they can’t pull off a trade for Giannis or Simmons or someone like that but they’re definitely going to try. It’s what championship organizations do.

I just saw a report (Can't remember where and how reputable), but it was about the Warriors raising money to pay for upcoming expenses. I think controlling young, rookie contract studs would be very appealing moving forward in the current environment. Unless we fleece for a no brainer stud, I can see us just keeping the picks and develop them.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by The Maestro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:33 am

Coxy wrote:
The Maestro wrote:
Coxy wrote:

I just saw a report (Can't remember where and how reputable), but it was about the Warriors raising money to pay for upcoming expenses. I think controlling young, rookie contract studs would be very appealing moving forward in the current environment. Unless we fleece for a no brainer stud, I can see us just keeping the picks and develop them.

I could see them keeping the picks and developing players too but I think that would be because they struck out and not because they wanted to really go in that direction.

First things first, they’re going for Giannis. Until he signs with the Bucks, he’s the top priority. Probably won’t be until after the draft so GSW will be making their pick most likely.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#16 » by Coxy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:55 am

We’re not getting Giannis, and we aren’t picking for Milwaukee in the draft, lol. The Bucks won’t trade GA.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by The Maestro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:47 am

Coxy wrote:We’re not getting Giannis, and we aren’t picking for Milwaukee in the draft, lol. The Bucks won’t trade GA.

It’s not their decision.

And the Warriors aren’t doing anything big until Giannis is off the table.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 204

Post#18 » by B-King » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:37 am

The Maestro wrote:
Coxy wrote:We’re not getting Giannis, and we aren’t picking for Milwaukee in the draft, lol. The Bucks won’t trade GA.

It’s not their decision.

You can't pick for any team. Either you get the best fit or draft the best asset to work in or trade later. (Please no LeLamo Ball)

Any deal with Milwaukee could take up to a year and half to consummate. So you have to just wait and see what develops around the league.

The Philly situation will be interesting to watch. Simmons or Embid would be a great fit on the Warriors.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by The Maestro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:03 am

B-King wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

It’s not their decision.

You can't pick for any team. Either you get the best fit or draft the best asset to work in or trade later. (Please no LeLamo Ball)

Any deal with Milwaukee could take up to a year and half to consummate. So you have to just wait and see what develops around the league.

The Philly situation will be interesting to watch. Simmons or Embid would be a great fit on the Warriors.

I meant it’s not the Buck’s decision if Giannis gets traded or not. If he tells them to trade him to GSW or he signs with Miami or Dallas next summer then they have no choice. Just like Anthony Davis and the Pelicans.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#20 » by Coxy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:10 am

The Maestro wrote:
B-King wrote:
The Maestro wrote:
It’s not their decision.

I meant it’s not the Buck’s decision if Giannis gets traded or not. If he tells them to trade him to GSW or he signs with Miami or Dallas next summer then they have no choice. Just like Anthony Davis and the Pelicans.

Has he told them to trade him?

Return to Golden State Warriors