ImageImageImageImageImage

The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money.

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 921
And1: 383
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:19 am

They're not going to use all their assets to build the team. But they will use the ones that gives them the most bang for the buck. For example, they can end up using the TPE because it gets them a player they think will help significantly, but won't use the MLE because it isn't enough to get them what they want. And they definitely won't use it just because they have it.

I've read time and time again about how Myers approaches assets like the MLE,and I just don't see them finding another Boogie situation. It took them a lot to want to use the MLE last time. So realistically, who can they actually get for the MLE that will make Joe Lacob cream his pants? If you can't think of one, neither can Myers.

Now the TPE is a different story. It's more money, but at least it's a route to an addition Joe Lacob might find worthy. But of course that depends on what incentives the Warriors might have to include to get said player or players.

I have my reservations that ownership even wants to spend a lot on a draft pick. So it's going to be interesting how the Warriors go about this free agency.
ChuckDurn
Veteran
Posts: 2,870
And1: 373
Joined: May 13, 2011

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#2 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:11 pm

killmongrel wrote:They're not going to use all their assets to build the team. But they will use the ones that gives them the most bang for the buck. For example, they can end up using the TPE because it gets them a player they think will help significantly, but won't use the MLE because it isn't enough to get them what they want. And they definitely won't use it just because they have it.

I've read time and time again about how Myers approaches assets like the MLE,and I just don't see them finding another Boogie situation. It took them a lot to want to use the MLE last time. So realistically, who can they actually get for the MLE that will make Joe Lacob cream his pants? If you can't think of one, neither can Myers.

Now the TPE is a different story. It's more money, but at least it's a route to an addition Joe Lacob might find worthy. But of course that depends on what incentives the Warriors might have to include to get said player or players.

I have my reservations that ownership even wants to spend a lot on a draft pick. So it's going to be interesting how the Warriors go about this free agency.

It's been reported that the Warriors have secured up to $250M of additional investment, basically to help tide over the losses that are coming with not being able to host games, concerts, etc...... that are a huge revenue stream for them, but have been cut off due to COVID. That would allow them to not have to "skimp" in the short-term until things get back to normal, i.e. they will have the ability to spend as much as they ordinarily would.

This said, being able to spend money doesn't mean that they automatically will. I generally agree with your hypothesis, but disagree on one point. I wouldn't be surprised if the economic impact of COVID depresses the market for a lot of free agents - some guys who might ordinarily make $12-15M might have to settle for the MLE, simply because other teams aren't willing to spend. So I could see the Warriors ending up with somebody fitting into the MLE who might otherwise not be available to them at that slot, and for whom they're willing to spend the money. Time will tell.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Warriors Analyst
Veteran
Posts: 2,635
And1: 641
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#3 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 pm

If the Warriors believe they can make up revenue in the next few years when Chase Center can hold concerts, I'd hope Lacob would be inclined to spend. We'd have a comparative advantage against other teams who are reluctant to spend or who are dumping assets to try and salvage their bad financial situation. It's unlikely this team is still competing for championships by the time Steph retires. If Lacob is ever going to spend big, this is as competitive a team he'll have for quite some time.
thinkingwarriors
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,539
And1: 3,557
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#4 » by thinkingwarriors » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:23 pm

I think the FO will be more likely to use the MLE than the TPE. The reason why is because there are so many useful centers that will be UFAs or have an opt-out and one of them will be in the range of the MLE. It's one of the reasons I think it's unlikely we take a center with our 1st rounder this season.

UFA: Whiteside, Gasol, Ibaka, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Baynes, Len, Dwight, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizec, Okafor, Christian Wood, Hernangomez

Option: Drummond, Olynyk, Kanter, R Lopez, McGee, WCS, Muscala
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 921
And1: 383
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#5 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
killmongrel wrote:They're not going to use all their assets to build the team. But they will use the ones that gives them the most bang for the buck. For example, they can end up using the TPE because it gets them a player they think will help significantly, but won't use the MLE because it isn't enough to get them what they want. And they definitely won't use it just because they have it.

I've read time and time again about how Myers approaches assets like the MLE,and I just don't see them finding another Boogie situation. It took them a lot to want to use the MLE last time. So realistically, who can they actually get for the MLE that will make Joe Lacob cream his pants? If you can't think of one, neither can Myers.

Now the TPE is a different story. It's more money, but at least it's a route to an addition Joe Lacob might find worthy. But of course that depends on what incentives the Warriors might have to include to get said player or players.

I have my reservations that ownership even wants to spend a lot on a draft pick. So it's going to be interesting how the Warriors go about this free agency.

It's been reported that the Warriors have secured up to $250M of additional investment, basically to help tide over the losses that are coming with not being able to host games, concerts, etc...... that are a huge revenue stream for them, but have been cut off due to COVID. That would allow them to not have to "skimp" in the short-term until things get back to normal, i.e. they will have the ability to spend as much as they ordinarily would.

This said, being able to spend money doesn't mean that they automatically will. I generally agree with your hypothesis, but disagree on one point. I wouldn't be surprised if the economic impact of COVID depresses the market for a lot of free agents - some guys who might ordinarily make $12-15M might have to settle for the MLE, simply because other teams aren't willing to spend. So I could see the Warriors ending up with somebody fitting into the MLE who might otherwise not be available to them at that slot, and for whom they're willing to spend the money. Time will tell.

Definitely good arguments for them being able to use their assets. Just as the landscape has changed for the team, it's changed for others as well. I guess it also depends on just how cheap other teams are going to be this free agency. I wonder if there's a chance that the league gets rid of the luxury tax.
killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 921
And1: 383
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#6 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:If the Warriors believe they can make up revenue in the next few years when Chase Center can hold concerts, I'd hope Lacob would be inclined to spend. We'd have a comparative advantage against other teams who are reluctant to spend or who are dumping assets to try and salvage their bad financial situation. It's unlikely this team is still competing for championships by the time Steph retires. If Lacob is ever going to spend big, this is as competitive a team he'll have for quite some time.
That's what I'm hoping Lacob views the whole situation as. He knows once things get back to normal, he is going to be making a lot of money. The current situation is just a speed bump to the inevitable future of his business which is most likely going to be financially amazing.
killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 921
And1: 383
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#7 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:I think the FO will be more likely to use the MLE than the TPE. The reason why is because there are so many useful centers that will be UFAs or have an opt-out and one of them will be in the range of the MLE. It's one of the reasons I think it's unlikely we take a center with our 1st rounder this season.

UFA: Whiteside, Gasol, Ibaka, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Baynes, Len, Dwight, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizec, Okafor, Christian Wood, Hernangomez

Option: Drummond, Olynyk, Kanter, R Lopez, McGee, WCS, Muscala
Maybe. I'm just looking at that list and thinking there's no way the FO thinks Whiteside, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Len, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizic, OKator, Wood, and Hernangomez are worth getting taxed to high hell by spending the MLE.

And the ones like Gasol, Ibaka, and Baynes are just out of the MLE price range.

It's one of those situations where they want to spend the money for some, but just don't have the ability to get them.

Things may change though.
Scoots1994
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,451
And1: 174
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#8 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:37 pm

I know owners are completely capable of lying, or of saying something that is what they hope will happen and the reality may not measure up, but I think it's clear the Warriors from top to bottom realize what they have with Curry/Klay/Dray and while they want to get young talent to keep it going they also want to win a lot for the new arena so they can make the big money that won't be available 5 years from now when those 3 are done.
Scoots1994
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,451
And1: 174
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#9 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:40 pm

killmongrel wrote:Maybe. I'm just looking at that list and thinking there's no way the FO thinks Whiteside, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Len, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizic, OKator, Wood, and Hernangomez are worth getting taxed to high hell by spending the MLE.

And the ones like Gasol, Ibaka, and Baynes are just out of the MLE price range.

It's one of those situations where they want to spend the money for some, but just don't have the ability to get them.

Things may change though.


I agree. They don't want to throw money away on talent that isn't worth it, and that may mean they don't find a good option for the salary slot they have, but I'm confident they will spend the time and effort trying to spend that money for good talent that fits.
thinkingwarriors
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,539
And1: 3,557
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#10 » by thinkingwarriors » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Maybe. I'm just looking at that list and thinking there's no way the FO thinks Whiteside, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Len, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizic, OKator, Wood, and Hernangomez are worth getting taxed to high hell by spending the MLE.

And the ones like Gasol, Ibaka, and Baynes are just out of the MLE price range.

It's one of those situations where they want to spend the money for some, but just don't have the ability to get them.

Things may change though.


I agree. They don't want to throw money away on talent that isn't worth it, and that may mean they don't find a good option for the salary slot they have, but I'm confident they will spend the time and effort trying to spend that money for good talent that fits.


Of that group Whiteside, Favors, TT, Plumlee and Wood are all worth in excess of the MLE but I'm hopeful the market will dictate one of them will have to settle for the MLE.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 921
And1: 383
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#11 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:48 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Maybe. I'm just looking at that list and thinking there's no way the FO thinks Whiteside, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Len, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizic, OKator, Wood, and Hernangomez are worth getting taxed to high hell by spending the MLE.

And the ones like Gasol, Ibaka, and Baynes are just out of the MLE price range.

It's one of those situations where they want to spend the money for some, but just don't have the ability to get them.

Things may change though.


I agree. They don't want to throw money away on talent that isn't worth it, and that may mean they don't find a good option for the salary slot they have, but I'm confident they will spend the time and effort trying to spend that money for good talent that fits.
Agreed. FO will definitely do their due diligence. But once they start weighing just how much a player will help in comparison to how much it will cost, the ratio will have to be very good in my opinion for the Joe Lacob to be tempted.
killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 921
And1: 383
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#12 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:50 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Maybe. I'm just looking at that list and thinking there's no way the FO thinks Whiteside, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Len, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizic, OKator, Wood, and Hernangomez are worth getting taxed to high hell by spending the MLE.

And the ones like Gasol, Ibaka, and Baynes are just out of the MLE price range.

It's one of those situations where they want to spend the money for some, but just don't have the ability to get them.

Things may change though.


I agree. They don't want to throw money away on talent that isn't worth it, and that may mean they don't find a good option for the salary slot they have, but I'm confident they will spend the time and effort trying to spend that money for good talent that fits.


Of that group Whiteside, Favors, TT, Plumlee and Wood are all worth in excess of the MLE but I'm hopeful the market will dictate one of them will have to settle for the MLE.
Are you taking into account how much it will cost the Warriors when it comes to luxury tax? Because I agree with you, all those players are worth 5+ million. I just do not think Joe and crew think they're worth 20+ million though.
thinkingwarriors
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,539
And1: 3,557
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#13 » by thinkingwarriors » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:03 pm

killmongrel wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
I agree. They don't want to throw money away on talent that isn't worth it, and that may mean they don't find a good option for the salary slot they have, but I'm confident they will spend the time and effort trying to spend that money for good talent that fits.


Of that group Whiteside, Favors, TT, Plumlee and Wood are all worth in excess of the MLE but I'm hopeful the market will dictate one of them will have to settle for the MLE.
Are you taking into account how much it will cost the Warriors when it comes to luxury tax? Because I agree with you, all those players are worth 5+ million. I just do not think Joe and crew think they're worth 20+ million though.


Considering the center position provides the best value for money in FA this year, yes I think they will pay it. I think our starting C is signed using the MLE while we wouldn't be able to find a starter at any other position with that low a figure.

Speaking to your point, I think the TPE will ultimately not be used or only a small fraction will be because the players teams will want to move are ones playing well below what they're owed and so even if that's a useful player, Lacob won't want to spend so much luxury tax money for comparatively poor value.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
Warriors Analyst
Veteran
Posts: 2,635
And1: 641
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#14 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:09 pm

killmongrel wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:I think the FO will be more likely to use the MLE than the TPE. The reason why is because there are so many useful centers that will be UFAs or have an opt-out and one of them will be in the range of the MLE. It's one of the reasons I think it's unlikely we take a center with our 1st rounder this season.

UFA: Whiteside, Gasol, Ibaka, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Baynes, Len, Dwight, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizec, Okafor, Christian Wood, Hernangomez

Option: Drummond, Olynyk, Kanter, R Lopez, McGee, WCS, Muscala
Maybe. I'm just looking at that list and thinking there's no way the FO thinks Whiteside, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Len, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizic, OKator, Wood, and Hernangomez are worth getting taxed to high hell by spending the MLE.

And the ones like Gasol, Ibaka, and Baynes are just out of the MLE price range.

It's one of those situations where they want to spend the money for some, but just don't have the ability to get them.

Things may change though.


Baynes is making about the MLE this year. In what we assume will be a depressed free agent market, I see no reason we couldn't get him at that price tag.

But from your list of FA targets you think are NOT worth the MLE, I'd be thrilled if we got Wood at MLE. He's going to get at least $10 million from a team based on his play this year, but he'd be a dream pick. Alas, I think that's a pipedream much like Gasol and Ibaka.
killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 921
And1: 383
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#15 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:12 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
Of that group Whiteside, Favors, TT, Plumlee and Wood are all worth in excess of the MLE but I'm hopeful the market will dictate one of them will have to settle for the MLE.
Are you taking into account how much it will cost the Warriors when it comes to luxury tax? Because I agree with you, all those players are worth 5+ million. I just do not think Joe and crew think they're worth 20+ million though.


Considering the center position provides the best value for money in FA this year, yes I think they will pay it. I think our starting C is signed using the MLE while we wouldn't be able to find a starter at any other position with that low a figure.

Speaking to your point, I think the TPE will ultimately not be used or only a small fraction will be because the players teams will want to move are ones playing well below what they're owed and so even if that's a useful player, Lacob won't want to spend so much luxury tax money for comparatively poor value.


I'll throw out some names that I think the Warriors can go for when it comes to the vet. minimum:

Alex Len - I've been keeping track of this guy for a while. I think we weren't able to see his full potential in Atlanta. And I thought if the Warriors were able to get him for the vet. minimum, he'd be a steal. But unfortunately, he seems to be doing well enough in Sacramento. So I have no idea what his value is now. He's definitely not worth the MLE though.

Noel - This is a maybe. But I'm not hopeful.

Mahinmi - He's awful. He'll be available for the vet. minimum. Buy why would we?

KOQ - He'd definitely come for the vet. minimum especially if we promise him the starting position. But if he does well in this year's playoffs, he'll be out of our price range. He's not a bad option, but he's not great either.

Chandler - He's near death.

Hernangomez - This is another maybe.

The others are going to be too expensive and not worth the MLE.
killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 921
And1: 383
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#16 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:16 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:I think the FO will be more likely to use the MLE than the TPE. The reason why is because there are so many useful centers that will be UFAs or have an opt-out and one of them will be in the range of the MLE. It's one of the reasons I think it's unlikely we take a center with our 1st rounder this season.

UFA: Whiteside, Gasol, Ibaka, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Baynes, Len, Dwight, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizec, Okafor, Christian Wood, Hernangomez

Option: Drummond, Olynyk, Kanter, R Lopez, McGee, WCS, Muscala
Maybe. I'm just looking at that list and thinking there's no way the FO thinks Whiteside, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Len, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizic, OKator, Wood, and Hernangomez are worth getting taxed to high hell by spending the MLE.

And the ones like Gasol, Ibaka, and Baynes are just out of the MLE price range.

It's one of those situations where they want to spend the money for some, but just don't have the ability to get them.

Things may change though.


Baynes is making about the MLE this year. In what we assume will be a depressed free agent market, I see no reason we couldn't get him at that price tag.
I want Baynes bad. So I'm hoping you're right since he's a backup to Ayton over at the Suns. But the dude is a starter. How many teams can use a starter and offer a multi-year salary that is above the MLE?
Warriors Analyst
Veteran
Posts: 2,635
And1: 641
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#17 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 pm

killmongrel wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
killmongrel wrote: Maybe. I'm just looking at that list and thinking there's no way the FO thinks Whiteside, Favors, Biyombo, TT, Mahinmi, Plumlee, Leonard, Len, Chandler, KOQ, Noel, Zizic, OKator, Wood, and Hernangomez are worth getting taxed to high hell by spending the MLE.

And the ones like Gasol, Ibaka, and Baynes are just out of the MLE price range.

It's one of those situations where they want to spend the money for some, but just don't have the ability to get them.

Things may change though.


Baynes is making about the MLE this year. In what we assume will be a depressed free agent market, I see no reason we couldn't get him at that price tag.
I want Baynes bad. So I'm hoping you're right since he's a backup to Ayton over at the Suns. But the dude is a starter. How many teams can use a starter and offer a multi-year salary that is above the MLE?


I've done this thought exercise before and there weren't many teams that really needed a starting C that were also looking at being in the playoffs. Baynes is 33, which is shocking. This is probably his last good contract in the league. I don't really see why he'd be motivated to take above the MLE to play for a bad team.
killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 921
And1: 383
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#18 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:38 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
Baynes is making about the MLE this year. In what we assume will be a depressed free agent market, I see no reason we couldn't get him at that price tag.
I want Baynes bad. So I'm hoping you're right since he's a backup to Ayton over at the Suns. But the dude is a starter. How many teams can use a starter and offer a multi-year salary that is above the MLE?


I've done this thought exercise before and there weren't many teams that really needed a starting C that were also looking at being in the playoffs. Baynes is 33, which is shocking. This is probably his last good contract in the league. I don't really see why he'd be motivated to take above the MLE to play for a bad team.


So I just did a quick rundown of the teams who might fit this category, and here are the teams. I just don't know about their actual cap space situations.

Dallas
New Orleans
Sacramento
Boston
Charlotte
Detroit
Heat
Washington

Like these are the teams I know don't have a viable center. But I also know a lot of them are either saving cap space or maybe don't have it.
User avatar
The Maestro
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,486
And1: 33
Joined: Oct 03, 2010

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#19 » by The Maestro » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 pm

If they get the loan from Goldman Sachs then they’ll use all their assets.
Warriors Analyst
Veteran
Posts: 2,635
And1: 641
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#20 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:58 pm

killmongrel wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
killmongrel wrote: I want Baynes bad. So I'm hoping you're right since he's a backup to Ayton over at the Suns. But the dude is a starter. How many teams can use a starter and offer a multi-year salary that is above the MLE?


I've done this thought exercise before and there weren't many teams that really needed a starting C that were also looking at being in the playoffs. Baynes is 33, which is shocking. This is probably his last good contract in the league. I don't really see why he'd be motivated to take above the MLE to play for a bad team.


So I just did a quick rundown of the teams who might fit this category, and here are the teams. I just don't know about their actual cap space situations.

Dallas
New Orleans
Sacramento
Boston
Charlotte
Detroit
Heat
Washington

Like these are the teams I know don't have a viable center. But I also know a lot of them are either saving cap space or maybe don't have it.


I think the only teams that really make sense on that list are Dallas and Washington, but even then I have my doubts. Dallas uses Porzingis at the 5 a fair amount, but Baynes would make some sense as a minutes sponge against bigger 5's. New Orleans has bird rights on Favors and his return coincided with them winning games. Sacramento starts Richaun Holmes and Bagley is said to be bulking up to play there. Boston would make some sense had they not traded Baynes once and been just as successful with Daniel f'n Theiss in the middle, plus they also have Robert WIlliams to develop. Charlotte is trash and Zeller starts there. Detroit is also trash and should be focused on development, which is why they should pray they can re-sign Wood. Miami does a weird thing where Leonard is the nominal starting 5 and then they go to Bam at the 5 when it matters. I guess Baynes can do the same thing there, but Leonard is a real sharpshooter at the 5 and I think that's the benefit of that look. Washington could totally use Baynes. It would be a bit like having Gortat again, but this time with a 3 point shot. But I have a feeling they'll go with Thomas Bryant and take a flyer on Boogie Cousins who is friends with Wall and should be cheap.

Return to Golden State Warriors