Giannis

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: Giannis 

Post#41 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:09 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Flash Falcon X wrote:What happens if Giannis doesn't sign an extension and becomes a free agent in 2021, but the Warriors end up winning the 2021 championship without him? Does he even consider signing with a team that just won the championship?

Well, the Warriors can't sign him as a FA, it would have to be a trade. The only feasible salary match seems like Wiggins -- IMO, the Bucks might just as soon let Giannis walk as take on Wiggins and his contract. Of course, they would more likely trade him somewhere else, if it came to that.

I don't think teams view Wiggins and his contract as fans do. FOs are smart enough to recognize that Wiggins is a very good roleplayer, miscast as a primary offensive weapon with Minny, and so maybe marginally overpaid. Fans are basically stupid and view him as a bust and a bad contract, neither are accurate.

If he proves to be a useful roleplayer with us next season he, other player and picks, including the valuable Minny pick, are a legit package.

Giannis, Thanasis

for

Wiggins, Paschall, 2021 Minny 1st, 2022 Warriors 1st, 2024 Warriors 1st
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#42 » by The Maestro » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:10 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Flash Falcon X wrote:What happens if Giannis doesn't sign an extension and becomes a free agent in 2021, but the Warriors end up winning the 2021 championship without him? Does he even consider signing with a team that just won the championship?

Well, the Warriors can't sign him as a FA, it would have to be a trade. The only feasible salary match seems like Wiggins -- IMO, the Bucks might just as soon let Giannis walk as take on Wiggins and his contract. Of course, they would more likely trade him somewhere else, if it came to that.

Won’t happen because Giannis can veto any trade simply by saying he won’t re-sign with that team. Nobody is giving up players and mutiple picks for Giannis with no guarantee. Giannis is in full control.

And yes the Bucks wouldn’t love taking Wiggins but here not letting Giannis walk for nothing. They’ll swallow it to get one of Wiseman, Ball,Edwards plus the Minny pick and GSw’s pick. That’s a top 5 pick plus a top 10 pick and late first in the strongest draft in almost 2 decades. They could end up with 2 all stars and a solid starter plus Wiggins who will score 25+ a night. Much better than letting him go outta spite.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#43 » by wco81 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:13 am

xdrta+ wrote:

Except as we've seen in recent years, the superstars have the leverage, especially if they have a long-term extension to sign.

He could tell prospective suitors that he will only sign a new contract with ...

Like Kawhi and AD did.

Giannis is signed for 1 more year so Toronto may trade assets anyways, go for another one-and-done or hope they can convince him the way they couldn't convince Kawhi.

I don't know if Boston has as many draft assets as before but they may say **** it, we should have going in on Kawhi.
wco81
RealGM

Post#44 » by wco81 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:15 am

The Maestro wrote:
And yes the Bucks wouldn’t love taking Wiggins but here not letting Giannis walk for nothing. They’ll swallow it to get one of Wiseman, Ball,Edwards plus the Minny pick and GSw’s pick. That’s a top 5 pick plus a top 10 pick and late first in the strongest draft in almost 2 decades. They could end up with 2 all stars and a solid starter plus Wiggins who will score 25+ a night. Much better than letting him go outta spite.

I don't know about trading all 3 first round picks.

Maybe two of them.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by The Maestro » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:27 am

wco81 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

I don't know about trading all 3 first round picks.

Maybe two of them.

Maybe they could get away with not giving up their own pick in 2021 (instead using that to try and dump Draymond) but the Warriors will gladly give up those picks for the 2 time MVP that’s also the DPOY and is only 25.
wco81
RealGM

Post#46 » by wco81 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 1:23 am

Warriors would have to send salary back so it has to be at least $25-27 million.
TinoDubs
Junior
And1: 45

Post#47 » by TinoDubs » Thu Aug 6, 2020 6:40 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
TinoDubs wrote:
Coxy wrote:Keep on dreaming.

I say the Clippers have much better chance than the Dubs. JW will make it happens. Plus, they have the richest owner in the league who wouldn't mind to pay a few more million. A dude made over 15B over this pandemic.

Have you investigated how this might be possible? Clippers have no draft picks and no obvious way to match salary. They could trade PG or Kawhi for Giannis but that's about it.

JW can make things happen, and the owner will support him 110%.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Post#48 » by ShayDee » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:18 pm

Dray when Bucks lose to Miami n playoffs
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by The Maestro » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:20 pm

Turning on the tv to see the Bucks down 20

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#50 » by Coxy » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:39 pm

The Maestro wrote:Turning on the tv to see the Bucks down 20

You might want to recheck that score.

Then after you recheck that score, you might want to readjust your expectation levels for Giannis, to someone more like Aaron Gordon.
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by The Maestro » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:40 pm

I jinxed it
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by The Maestro » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:47 pm

Coxy wrote:Then after you recheck that score, you might want to readjust your expectation levels for Giannis, to someone more like Aaron Gordon.

Gordon is a definite possibility. Plan B or C. But after Giannis told Steph he wanted to play with him, there’s no chance the Warriors don’t at least let things play out and try for him.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#53 » by Coxy » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:07 pm

The Maestro wrote:
Coxy wrote:Then after you recheck that score, you might want to readjust your expectation levels for Giannis, to someone more like Aaron Gordon.

Gordon is a definite possibility. Plan B or C. But after Giannis told Steph he wanted to play with him, there’s no chance the Warriors don’t at least let things play out and try for him.

How do you know that happened? Were you there when they were hanging out and Giannis said that to Steph?
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Post#54 » by ShayDee » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:15 pm

They also have the same agent I think, let's not pretend they haven't spoken about it in some way
Coxy
RealGM

Post#55 » by Coxy » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:32 pm

ShayDee wrote:They also have the same agent I think, let's not pretend they haven't spoken about it in some way

What difference does that make? Why should we just assume that they are wanting to play together? I don't get it.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#56 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:00 am

we're going to will it to happen Coxy
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
The Maestro
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by The Maestro » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:03 am

Coxy wrote:
ShayDee wrote:They also have the same agent I think, let's not pretend they haven't spoken about it in some way

What difference does that make? Why should we just assume that they are wanting to play together? I don't get it.

I’m not assuming. Giannis told Steph that he wants to play with him and the Warriors are aware of Giannis’ desire. Multiple
Things need to happen for GSW to have a chance but if Giannis doesn’t sign the super max then it’s game on.

And even if the Warriors were to acquire someone like Gordon, he would be included in any package for Giannis. What I was told though is that Warriors will wait to see what Giannis decides before they do anything major.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#58 » by Coxy » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:06 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:we're going to will it to happen Coxy

I want to believe it all as well, I just don't get the "matter of fact" talk about it all. People talk like they know Steph and Giannis and what they talk about. Wierd way to live your life, beleiving in random rumours with no base and then just talking about them to other people like its a fact.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#59 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:08 am

Giannis is a pipe dream. Gordon needs too many moving pieces to fall into place. The Warriors (and their fans) need to set their sights on some pieces that are actually feasible.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#60 » by Coxy » Fri Aug 7, 2020 12:10 am

The Maestro wrote:I’m not assuming. Giannis told Steph that he wants to play with him and the Warriors are aware of Giannis’ desire.

You're like a broken record with this ess. Again I ask, how do you know this? Do you have any evidence of this? Like, were you at Steph's house and Giannis and Steph were talking about it? Where did you get this factual information you are speaking of? You can't just say it over and over and then expect people to just fold and start belieiving it.

Give us something tangible, or just give it a rest dude.

Return to Golden State Warriors