ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Draft Thread, Part 2

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 38,840
And1: 8,700
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:31 am

Continued from here

GQ Hot Dog wrote:Check it out draft dorks! I mean, you gotta be borderline obsessive about the draft to enjoy this video(I am) but here it is.

Behold, the Warriors soon to be backup SF and "Kawhi" stopper off the bench: Patrick Williams.




Minor nitpick on this video:

Is this really the Charlotte Hornets practice facility? And if so, having a three point line that isn’t NBA distance is ridiculously dumb.

And Williams is basically practicing long two’s....which is fine, but also kind of dumb. No knock on him working hard, because he looks good. Just don’t understand practicing for things that aren’t the distances you’ll need at the next level.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
GQ Hot Dog
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,762
And1: 3,780
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:45 am

Mylie10 wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Check it out draft dorks! I mean, you gotta be borderline obsessive about the draft to enjoy this video(I am) but here it is.

Behold, the Warriors soon to be backup SF and "Kawhi" stopper off the bench: Patrick Williams.




Minor nitpick on this video:

Is this really the Charlotte Hornets practice facility? And if so, having a three point line that isn’t NBA distance is ridiculously dumb.

And Williams is basically practicing long two’s....which is fine, but also kind of dumb. No knock on him working hard, because he looks good. Just don’t understand practicing for things that aren’t the distances you’ll need at the next level.


I realized this video is of Williams prior to his season at FSU which is why he's playing at a gym in his hometown, Charlotte.

So take from it what you will, he's definitely filled out since then and shoots NBA 3s. I was so hungry to find new footage of him that I overlooked when this was shot.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 38,840
And1: 8,700
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#3 » by Mylie10 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:52 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Check it out draft dorks! I mean, you gotta be borderline obsessive about the draft to enjoy this video(I am) but here it is.

Behold, the Warriors soon to be backup SF and "Kawhi" stopper off the bench: Patrick Williams.




Minor nitpick on this video:

Is this really the Charlotte Hornets practice facility? And if so, having a three point line that isn’t NBA distance is ridiculously dumb.

And Williams is basically practicing long two’s....which is fine, but also kind of dumb. No knock on him working hard, because he looks good. Just don’t understand practicing for things that aren’t the distances you’ll need at the next level.


I realized this video is of Williams prior to his season at FSU which is why he's playing at a gym in his hometown, Charlotte.

So take from it what you will, he's definitely filled out since then and shoots NBA 3s. I was so hungry to find new footage of him that I overlooked when this was shot.


All good.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
User avatar
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,074
And1: 1,400
Joined: Dec 23, 2013
   

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#4 » by jason bourne » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:59 am



Patrick Williams looks like our pick if you just look at his strengths, but look at his weaknesses from 9:05. There is a reason he is lower lottery.
Image

“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.”
Mav_Carter
Sophomore
Posts: 143
And1: 37
Joined: Aug 29, 2020

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#5 » by Mav_Carter » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:27 am

I don’t understand why Williams isn’t a consensus top 5 pick...he’s one of the youngest players in the draft...
GQ Hot Dog
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,762
And1: 3,780
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#6 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:01 am

jason bourne wrote:

Patrick Williams looks like our pick if you just look at his strengths, but look at his weaknesses from 9:05. There is a reason he is lower lottery.


The only weaknesses from that video that need to be addressed is his supposed lack of quickness. I see a young player whose inconsistent footwork gets him in some trouble. He's also overly aggressive trying to get into passing lanes and he ends up totally out of position, unable to recover and looking stupid.

So does he have the raw foot speed to recover from his own mental errors? No.

But he does have length and is very bouncy and quick off his feet. There's a difference between lateral quickness and being a quick jumper and he uses that and his length to block a lot of shots.

What I really like is the aggressive defensive instincts. Leonard Hamilton's system demands all out effort on that end for shorter stretches and that will translate instantly to the way we play. Kerr will reward him with more minutes and he could develop quickly.

He's an instinctive and aggressive passer that throws bullets up the floor in transition and never stops ball movement. That also will fit in right away with what we like to do.

There's just so much about the way he plays naturally that I recognize from how we play. His instincts could allow him to develop into an Iguodala type defender.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
ShayDee
Junior
Posts: 405
And1: 71
Joined: Mar 30, 2020
     

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#7 » by ShayDee » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:03 am

jason bourne wrote:

Patrick Williams looks like our pick if you just look at his strengths, but look at his weaknesses from 9:05. There is a reason he is lower lottery.


I think I've mentioned this countless times. being touted as a top notch defender, he has worse lateral quickness than Wiseman. Also he is 6'8" with a 6-11" wingspan and he is athletic? Yet he has problems finishing around the rim. Also he turns the ball over alot
GQ Hot Dog
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,762
And1: 3,780
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#8 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:38 am

ShayDee wrote:
jason bourne wrote:

Patrick Williams looks like our pick if you just look at his strengths, but look at his weaknesses from 9:05. There is a reason he is lower lottery.


I think I've mentioned this countless times. being touted as a top notch defender, he has worse lateral quickness than Wiseman. Also he is 6'8" with a 6-11" wingspan and he is athletic? Yet he has problems finishing around the rim. Also he turns the ball over alot


How can you say this? What metric have you seen that indicates this? Have these players take part in some sort of combine where they were timed doing drills?

He's athletic because he's a quick and explosive leaper. He's got a solid wingspan, good enough to allow him to block shots. And I would dispute that he has problems finishing around the rim. He's not trying to spend all his time above the rim but he's powerful and explosive and can finish through contact.

Sure, he turns the ball over. Another reason he'll fit in well with the Warriors.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
watch1958
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,253
And1: 283
Joined: Aug 03, 2001

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#9 » by watch1958 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:03 am

Williams is a guy I would like to have on the team. Don't know how he should be drafted, or who he is better than. I just think he'd fit well.

My thought kinda goes like this: They went to the playoffs 4 years with Barnes & won a championship. If Barnes had put it together just a little more, they would have won two. When I look at Williams, it seems to me he could fit right in being Harrison Barnes. Can't say how good he'll be on D, but he already looks better trained and more instinctive than Barnes on defense. I don't know how good his handles are, but he already looks more fluid & natural driving and finishing. Some parts of Barnes offensive game were more refined, but those parts were the things I didn't want to see that much: like pounding it for an iso turn-around.

So Williams isn't Durant, but I could see him fitting in as a better HB.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Warriors Analyst
Veteran
Posts: 2,904
And1: 856
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#10 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:23 pm

watch1958 wrote:Williams is a guy I would like to have on the team. Don't know how he should be drafted, or who he is better than. I just think he'd fit well.

My thought kinda goes like this: They went to the playoffs 4 years with Barnes & won a championship. If Barnes had put it together just a little more, they would have won two. When I look at Williams, it seems to me he could fit right in being Harrison Barnes. Can't say how good he'll be on D, but he already looks better trained and more instinctive than Barnes on defense. I don't know how good his handles are, but he already looks more fluid & natural driving and finishing. Some parts of Barnes offensive game were more refined, but those parts were the things I didn't want to see that much: like pounding it for an iso turn-around.

So Williams isn't Durant, but I could see him fitting in as a better HB.


I mean hell, Paschall and Poole had more refined offensive games than Barnes did as a rookie, they just couldn't knock down open 3's at a consistent rate, which is the one thing Barnes can do at a slightly above average level. I think someone like Williams could plug and play and give what Barnes did as a rookie.
ShayDee
Junior
Posts: 405
And1: 71
Joined: Mar 30, 2020
     

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#11 » by ShayDee » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:26 pm

Draft Wiseman and turn him into an offensive high IQ God. The league is not going small, it just now requires very skilled 7fters. Wiseman is further along the development in skill than Any C the next 3-5 years apart from maybe Chet and Victor Wembanyama. We cannot pass up this opportunity because of reasons? Come on Bob he is the best player in this draft. He would be a legit mismatch and hard to defend, will demand double teams like Steph and Klay already do, he will get to the free-throw line a lot and put opposing teams best players in foul trouble.

Use the 2nd round picks to draft a knock down senior, high IQ shooter and decision maker like Tyler herro on the heat. Nate Darling, Sam Merrill, Immanuel Quickley, Justinian Jessup or use them and our future 2nds + cash to trade back into the first round and take Desmond Bane. I've already spoken in depth about him as to why he is ready to contribute. Use TPE and few 2nds to get Rudy Gay, he will be the prime target and I hope teams don't try and bid with us. MLE to try and pry away Dragic, pitch with him that we will give him major minutes of the bench as a 6th man, he gets to leave that Covid zone in Miami and come live in SF, if not try Reggie Jackson or Kris Dunn. Use min contracts on lengthy wing Defenders like GR3/Andre Robinson/Torrey Craig

My first Choice line up
C Wiseman, Looney, Chriss
PF Green, Paschall, Smiley
SF Wiggins, Gay, GR3
SG Thompson, Bane, Lee
PG Curry, Dragic, Poole

With this line up you can interchange Wiseman with the Other smaller Cs for some match ups

Death Lineup

Steph Klay Wiggins Gay Green.

In today's NBA that death line up is going to have severe defensive problems, mainly because of size and we are going to get out rebounded no matter what anyone says. Lakers end game lineup has Lebron and AD, Nuggets have Jokic and MPJ, Clippers have Trez, Kawhi, PG, Jamychal Green? sometime Zubac. Dalla has Luka, KP, Kleber, Celtics have Tatum, Brown, Theis, Sixers have Embiid, Simmons, Harris and so on.

Our death Lineup worked because we actually had a 7fter in it in KD who could defend multiple positions and hit really difficult shots. So right now we have to depend on prime spacing to help Steph out and we also have to count on blowing teams out like the 2016 season to win games because it will be hard in clutch time situations with this team. Maybe I might be wrong, but the clippers with all their wing defenders could not contain Jokic, Rockets could not contain the Lakers, it will be the same for us if we don't have a huge lead to try and maintain. Wiseman can help with making that lead at the start of games in the first half and during "3rd quarter Warrior" runs

Mid season if something happens we could always package an overachieving Wiggins with Wiseman to get a disgruntled star but I want to see this kind of team in the post season. I believe in it
cdubbz
RealGM
Posts: 11,087
And1: 1,797
Joined: May 05, 2005
Location: Oakland
 

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#12 » by cdubbz » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:23 am

I’m still in for Wiseman, but he can still be fools gold. I wanna see more skills shown before the draft. We know he’s an elite athlete and has tools to be good. He’s shown dribbling skills and videos of him attacking the rim (against trainer).

What haven’t we seen? Post moves growth, passing, handles in traffic, handling double teams, playing against bigger stronger guys.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Warriors Analyst
Veteran
Posts: 2,904
And1: 856
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#13 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:56 am

ShayDee wrote:Draft Wiseman and turn him into an offensive high IQ God. The league is not going small, it just now requires very skilled 7fters. Wiseman is further along the development in skill than Any C the next 3-5 years apart from maybe Chet and Victor Wembanyama. We cannot pass up this opportunity because of reasons? Come on Bob he is the best player in this draft. He would be a legit mismatch and hard to defend, will demand double teams like Steph and Klay already do, he will get to the free-throw line a lot and put opposing teams best players in foul trouble.

Use the 2nd round picks to draft a knock down senior, high IQ shooter and decision maker like Tyler herro on the heat. Nate Darling, Sam Merrill, Immanuel Quickley, Justinian Jessup or use them and our future 2nds + cash to trade back into the first round and take Desmond Bane. I've already spoken in depth about him as to why he is ready to contribute. Use TPE and few 2nds to get Rudy Gay, he will be the prime target and I hope teams don't try and bid with us. MLE to try and pry away Dragic, pitch with him that we will give him major minutes of the bench as a 6th man, he gets to leave that Covid zone in Miami and come live in SF, if not try Reggie Jackson or Kris Dunn. Use min contracts on lengthy wing Defenders like GR3/Andre Robinson/Torrey Craig

My first Choice line up
C Wiseman, Looney, Chriss
PF Green, Paschall, Smiley
SF Wiggins, Gay, GR3
SG Thompson, Bane, Lee
PG Curry, Dragic, Poole

With this line up you can interchange Wiseman with the Other smaller Cs for some match ups

Death Lineup

Steph Klay Wiggins Gay Green.

In today's NBA that death line up is going to have severe defensive problems, mainly because of size and we are going to get out rebounded no matter what anyone says. Lakers end game lineup has Lebron and AD, Nuggets have Jokic and MPJ, Clippers have Trez, Kawhi, PG, Jamychal Green? sometime Zubac. Dalla has Luka, KP, Kleber, Celtics have Tatum, Brown, Theis, Sixers have Embiid, Simmons, Harris and so on.

Our death Lineup worked because we actually had a 7fter in it in KD who could defend multiple positions and hit really difficult shots. So right now we have to depend on prime spacing to help Steph out and we also have to count on blowing teams out like the 2016 season to win games because it will be hard in clutch time situations with this team. Maybe I might be wrong, but the clippers with all their wing defenders could not contain Jokic, Rockets could not contain the Lakers, it will be the same for us if we don't have a huge lead to try and maintain. Wiseman can help with making that lead at the start of games in the first half and during "3rd quarter Warrior" runs

Mid season if something happens we could always package an overachieving Wiggins with Wiseman to get a disgruntled star but I want to see this kind of team in the post season. I believe in it


This post is delusional. In the last three to five years Ayton, Towns, Sabonis, Collins, Jaren Jackson Jr., Adebayo, and Markkanen were all more developed than Wiseman. A rookie center commanding double teams is laughable. Embiid was the last guy who came in as a rookie who commanded that much attention and that's because he was a legitimate back to the basket beast. Wiseman is not that. He's an insanely athletic lob threat with little feel for the game who will probably struggle to play more than 20 minutes a game without fouling out.
Little Digger
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,324
And1: 2,019
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Not sure..does anyone know which universe we’re in?
   

Re: 2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#14 » by Little Digger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:31 am

I now have Wiseman at #11 on my Wishy Washy BIG BOARD

No charge for this update
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
User avatar
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Starter
Posts: 2,116
And1: 158
Joined: Jul 14, 2006

Re: 2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#15 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:20 am

I was high on Wiseman, but there are now more question marks and things missing from Wiseman’s game (Or things he’s lacking for today’s modern 5s):

-Can he really shoot 3s? No perimeter game (Of the games we’ve seen. Practices don’t count).
-Doesn’t pass the ball or have natural feel or willingness to pass.
-Low-post game (offense) is raw / basic
-Prone to foul?
-High bball IQ?
-Intangibles (e.g., great work ethic, aggressiveness in-game, winning mentality, mental toughness)?

At this point, he’s more like DeAndre Jordan until he can showcase or demystify any unknowns about his game. Otherwise, we can get plenty of those type Cs in the FA pool.
ShayDee
Junior
Posts: 405
And1: 71
Joined: Mar 30, 2020
     

Re: 2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#16 » by ShayDee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:59 am

What is this? Is there some sort of vendetta against Wiseman on this board? Why are people being ignorant and just deciding to discount everything because he is 7ft tall? I really don't get it. Bring up negatives, sure but those were 2 years ago or at least 1 year ago. Are we really going to ignore any sort of improvement or hard work he has put in since then? For sure it would be silly to assume Edwards/Ball have not also made improvements to their game, but if we are taking each prospect from December, Wiseman had the least negatives out of the 3 and will help us the most.

They all have about the same upside, no Ball or Edwards do not have more than Wiseman, each of these 3 guys have alot of work to do. Ball cannot even be on the floor at the same time with Steph, Edwards can get to his spot but he cannot just make the shot, if until this point he is having problems, then those issues will be difficult to fix unless you put in work. None of these guys play any defense, but Wiseman at least showed effort. Wiseman is also the most intelligent out of the 3 and is extremely coachable, multiple scouts and analysts have all said it, you can even see it when he talks and presents himself.

People talk about no perimeter game, did Karl-Anthony Towns show any of that Game in Kentucky? What if Wiseman's coach told him to just stay around the paint for rebounds and finishing? What if his coach told him to act like a traditional C at a high level, which he did by the way. Coaches do that all the time, you never really get to see the whole package of prospects because college coaches limit them. In high school, Wiseman was taking jumpers everywhere, was handling the ball everywhere, that is far far far away from being traditional, it shows he has more skill than most people his size and foundation of other skills to work with. You think he has not been in the gym since he left college working on any shot or ball handling he had before? I really hate how every just wants to ignore all this. I have sai this before, but why was Wisemant he #1 prospect coming out of highschool? Do you think it was because he could only get rebounds and dunk on people? IF that was the case, why wasn't Precious or Onyeka ranked after him, why does everyone want to ignore any sort of skill he has

Man I just don't get, If you do not like the kid just say so. IF you think he is not the pick at 2, or even 1, then give reasons why Lamelo or Ball should be taken ahead of him. If you do not want any of the 3, then it's fine to admit it and it's ok to want to trade down from 2, but if we are going down that route, then the compensation should fit the value of a #2 pick, not any nonsense involving bad or old players in a pick swap. It just doesn't work that way. Deni is not worth the #2 or 3 pick, let the recency bias not blind you
superunknown
Junior
Posts: 288
And1: 72
Joined: Sep 25, 2018
       

Re: 2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#17 » by superunknown » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:22 pm

I don't think it's personal against the wiseman.
Just most of this board decided that this year top 3 prospects are 3 bust and that anyone else in this draft class is better than them.
Scoots1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,801
And1: 225
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#18 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:38 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:This post is delusional. In the last three to five years Ayton, Towns, Sabonis, Collins, Jaren Jackson Jr., Adebayo, and Markkanen were all more developed than Wiseman. A rookie center commanding double teams is laughable. Embiid was the last guy who came in as a rookie who commanded that much attention and that's because he was a legitimate back to the basket beast. Wiseman is not that. He's an insanely athletic lob threat with little feel for the game who will probably struggle to play more than 20 minutes a game without fouling out.


Speaking of delusional ... Embiid demanded double teams as a rookie? He played 0 games in his first 2 years in the NBA ... was the double teaming happening in the training room?

Other than that, I agree that Wiseman is going to have limited use as a rook.
Warriors Analyst
Veteran
Posts: 2,904
And1: 856
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#19 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:42 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:This post is delusional. In the last three to five years Ayton, Towns, Sabonis, Collins, Jaren Jackson Jr., Adebayo, and Markkanen were all more developed than Wiseman. A rookie center commanding double teams is laughable. Embiid was the last guy who came in as a rookie who commanded that much attention and that's because he was a legitimate back to the basket beast. Wiseman is not that. He's an insanely athletic lob threat with little feel for the game who will probably struggle to play more than 20 minutes a game without fouling out.


Speaking of delusional ... Embiid demanded double teams as a rookie? He played 0 games in his first 2 years in the NBA ... was the double teaming happening in the training room?

Other than that, I agree that Wiseman is going to have limited use as a rook.


I am aware of that. Players who redshirt or miss their first year under contract because of injuries -- Blake Griffin, Embiid, Michael Porter Jr. -- are considered rookies in the first season they actually are able to play in. Not a hard concept to grasp.
Little Digger
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,324
And1: 2,019
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
Location: Not sure..does anyone know which universe we’re in?
   

Re: 2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#20 » by Little Digger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:50 pm

I do not like the projected top 3 and I do not like green eggs and ham
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.

Return to Golden State Warriors