ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors mini camp

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

GQ Hot Dog
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,946
And1: 3,894
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#141 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:18 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:I'm calling Poole for MIP. Reportedly he's been the last guy to leave the gym on a regular basis. Consider him a bonus 1st round pick this year. Whole new player. Book it.


I think Little Digger already called Wiggins for MIP. I'm smelling a sig bet!
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 39,610
And1: 8,989
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#142 » by Mylie10 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:26 pm

MIP of the League?

I don’t see it. Love to be wrong.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
User avatar
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
Posts: 33,534
And1: 1,066
Joined: Jun 28, 2005

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#143 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:28 pm

Poole has a little of the dog in him, and Wiggins is definitely a cat person. He is who he is. He will be better here by virtue of being a third option and the guy left open on purpose, but he’s not going to become a different competitor. His ceiling isn’t that far from where he is already. MIP is a stretch.

Poole was alsoG-leagued last year. So he has much more room to improve obviously.
rcfc1 wrote:Do you even law, bro?
User avatar
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
Posts: 33,534
And1: 1,066
Joined: Jun 28, 2005

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#144 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:30 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:I'm calling Poole for MIP. Reportedly he's been the last guy to leave the gym on a regular basis. Consider him a bonus 1st round pick this year. Whole new player. Book it.


I'm irrationally excited about Poole. I like the idea of having a tall lead guard off the bench with his passing skills and his ability to heat up. Don't expect him to be back-up point guard next year without fighting off some competition, but I think by the end of his rookie deal he can play the Lou Williams role with improved defense and passing.


If Paschall learns to catch and shoot, Poole could rack up crazy assist numbers. I’m also just irrationally attached to this idea because I’m scared of Lamelo.
rcfc1 wrote:Do you even law, bro?
Warriors Analyst
Analyst
Posts: 3,238
And1: 1,235
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#145 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:35 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:I'm calling Poole for MIP. Reportedly he's been the last guy to leave the gym on a regular basis. Consider him a bonus 1st round pick this year. Whole new player. Book it.


I'm irrationally excited about Poole. I like the idea of having a tall lead guard off the bench with his passing skills and his ability to heat up. Don't expect him to be back-up point guard next year without fighting off some competition, but I think by the end of his rookie deal he can play the Lou Williams role with improved defense and passing.


If Paschall learns to catch and shoot, Poole could rack up crazy assist numbers. I’m also just irrationally attached to this idea because I’m scared of Lamelo.


Having watched some LaMelo film, I see that he's a really good passer, but am I totally insane to think Poole isn't that far behind as a passer and way ahead as a shooter/scorer? The concept of LaMelo is intriguing, but he shot terribly in the Australian league and if his brother offers any predictive value, its' unlikely LaMelo is a consistent shooter/scorer in the next 5 years.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,678
And1: 185
Joined: Mar 20, 2003
Location: Tried like the dickens

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#146 » by Hopper15 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 pm

DevinVassell wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Warriors basketball is back! Sort of:





Continued...




I credited Poole with 20 points for the 20 minute scrimmage. There was one bucket I gave him where the feed cut to something else. He left two more points at the foul line.

If this is an indication of what he's been doing in this bubble camp, it bodes well. He could be the backup 25-30 minute per game combo guard of the future that they need.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,678
And1: 185
Joined: Mar 20, 2003
Location: Tried like the dickens

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#147 » by Hopper15 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:59 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
Hopper15 wrote:I'm hoping they have the luxury to let Poole run point all season in Santa Cruz to further develop his PG skills. He was showing some promise there at the end of last season. He can get the occasional call up when Steph or Klay load manage.

This would require finding a solid backup PG and fielding a healthy team throughout the season.


I was really encouraged by Poole's showing as a PG. I think we might not have missed on that pick so much as missed on his best position. To be making reads and thinking as a PG out there during the year where the game is generally moving way too fast for most rookies is an extremely promising sign.

Are you a believer in Bowman as a legit backup PG or are you really thinking more of a vet/defender at PG or are you thinking Ball could be the pick?

Hey, what's up. Good to see you around still.

I'm firmly out on Bowman. I wouldn't hate another two way. But that's as far as I'd go with him. There should be some good vet PGs available on expiring contracts to get with the TPE.
Scoots1994
Starter
Posts: 2,258
And1: 296
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#148 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:31 pm

Hopper15 wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
Hopper15 wrote:I'm hoping they have the luxury to let Poole run point all season in Santa Cruz to further develop his PG skills. He was showing some promise there at the end of last season. He can get the occasional call up when Steph or Klay load manage.

This would require finding a solid backup PG and fielding a healthy team throughout the season.


I was really encouraged by Poole's showing as a PG. I think we might not have missed on that pick so much as missed on his best position. To be making reads and thinking as a PG out there during the year where the game is generally moving way too fast for most rookies is an extremely promising sign.

Are you a believer in Bowman as a legit backup PG or are you really thinking more of a vet/defender at PG or are you thinking Ball could be the pick?

Hey, what's up. Good to see you around still.

I'm firmly out on Bowman. I wouldn't hate another two way. But that's as far as I'd go with him. There should be some good vet PGs available on expiring contracts to get with the TPE.


I'm not out on Bowman at all, but I think he's absolutely in a fight to get a roster spot.
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 11,494
And1: 4,183
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#149 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Poole needs to be lifting and training to strengthen his core.

Of course put up a thousand jump shots a day.
User avatar
TB
Head Coach
Posts: 6,783
And1: 170
Joined: Mar 11, 2007

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#150 » by TB » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:51 pm

Scrimmage takeaways (nothing too surprising):

Poole, Chriss, Looney look like capable rotation players
Ky looks like a legit 11-15 guy
Lee, Simmons, Pargo look like capable vet 11-15 players, but in no way do we need to keep them if there's a potential prospect instead
Smiley looks garbage, but his age means he might be worth a 11-15 spot.
A few of the other dudes looked like they are worth a camp invite to fight away a roster spot from Smiley, Lee, Mulder, 2nd rounders, etc.

Nothing really changes from where I think these guys fit in the depth chart:

Steph / Poole / Bowman
Klay / NA / NA
Wiggins / NA / Lee
Dray / Paschall / NA
Chriss / Looney / Smiley
Little Digger
Head Coach
Posts: 6,215
And1: 2,322
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
   

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#151 » by Little Digger » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:53 pm

Looks like training camp will start in December
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 39,610
And1: 8,989
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#152 » by Mylie10 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:35 am

My prediction of a Christmas Day start is still alive.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
winston2chainz
Sophomore
Posts: 120
And1: 176
Joined: Oct 30, 2019
 

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#153 » by winston2chainz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:46 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
I'm irrationally excited about Poole. I like the idea of having a tall lead guard off the bench with his passing skills and his ability to heat up. Don't expect him to be back-up point guard next year without fighting off some competition, but I think by the end of his rookie deal he can play the Lou Williams role with improved defense and passing.


If Paschall learns to catch and shoot, Poole could rack up crazy assist numbers. I’m also just irrationally attached to this idea because I’m scared of Lamelo.


Having watched some LaMelo film, I see that he's a really good passer, but am I totally insane to think Poole isn't that far behind as a passer and way ahead as a shooter/scorer? The concept of LaMelo is intriguing, but he shot terribly in the Australian league and if his brother offers any predictive value, its' unlikely LaMelo is a consistent shooter/scorer in the next 5 years.


No you're definitely not crazy, Poole is ridiculously talented. If he's putting in all this work with the team trainers and coaching staff he's going to be a steal.

I also agree on LaMelo, I'd be willing to bet he'll have a Dante Exum career trajectory.
Little Digger
Head Coach
Posts: 6,215
And1: 2,322
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
   

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#154 » by Little Digger » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Everybody and their mothers are down on LaMelo Ball..He’s got to be a 1st ballot HOFamer
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
User avatar
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
Posts: 33,534
And1: 1,066
Joined: Jun 28, 2005

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#155 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:54 pm

Little Digger wrote:Everybody and their mothers are down on LaMelo Ball..He’s got to be a 1st ballot HOFamer


I'm both scared of us drafting him and it not working out because he needs the ball in his hands, and at the same time, us not drafting him, and him turning into a 6'7" Jason Kidd.
rcfc1 wrote:Do you even law, bro?
User avatar
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
Posts: 33,534
And1: 1,066
Joined: Jun 28, 2005

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#156 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:56 pm

wco81 wrote:Poole needs to be lifting and training to strengthen his core.

Of course put up a thousand jump shots a day.


His body was thicker last year. I think he put on mass thinking of dealing with grown men's bodies in the league, but lost a little quickness. He seems leaner in the scrimmage video though not necessarily weaker.
rcfc1 wrote:Do you even law, bro?
User avatar
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
Posts: 10,303
And1: 1,952
Joined: Feb 07, 2010
Location: San Francisco
     

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#157 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:23 pm

Little Digger wrote:Everybody and their mothers are down on LaMelo Ball..He’s got to be a 1st ballot HOFamer


I could tell on NBA Radio the other day Fran Fraschilla wanted to straight up call him garbage but was trying to be nice in his criticisms :lol:
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
User avatar
marthafokker
Head Coach
Posts: 6,458
And1: 345
Joined: Jul 13, 2004

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#158 » by marthafokker » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:06 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
Little Digger wrote:Everybody and their mothers are down on LaMelo Ball..He’s got to be a 1st ballot HOFamer


I'm both scared of us drafting him and it not working out because he needs the ball in his hands, and at the same time, us not drafting him, and him turning into a 6'7" Jason Kidd.


Jason Kidd played D coming out of college. This Ball plays with his D only.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 39,610
And1: 8,989
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#159 » by Mylie10 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:33 am

Sleepy51 wrote:
Little Digger wrote:Everybody and their mothers are down on LaMelo Ball..He’s got to be a 1st ballot HOFamer


I'm both scared of us drafting him and it not working out because he needs the ball in his hands, and at the same time, us not drafting him, and him turning into a 6'7" Jason Kidd.


Jason Kidd was playing defense since 5th grade. Ball gets hives when the subject comes up.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 39,610
And1: 8,989
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Warriors mini camp 

Post#160 » by Mylie10 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:35 am

If Poole comes out of the gate playing defense, then we can all rejoice. Because his offensive game will be fine.

I’d prefer if he puts most of his practice work into being a good defender. That would pay huge dividends.

He’s athletic enough to do it. No reason he can’t.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors