ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors interested in Dwight Howard

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

User avatar
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Starter
Posts: 2,219
And1: 173
Joined: Jul 14, 2006

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#41 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:11 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
Jay 20 wrote:Listen this might not be popular but I truly believe that for the 2021 season Howard > Wiseman.

We need to think short term in my opinion and I believe Howard makes more of an impact sooner where we would probably have to wait on Wiseman.


I'd draft Wiseman if there's nothing going for the team aka re-build phase. But, this isn't a re-building team.


I don't think it's either-or. Just because you're not rebuilding doesn't mean you can't look to the future. Seems like it should be possible to get help now, whether Dwight (not my choice) or someone else, and still prepare for the future. Now, if they think Wiseman is going to flame out that's one thing, but I think they should still look for someone in the draft that they think they can build around down the line.


True, but I'm sure Coach Kerr will run his offense how he's always has with his core. It's unfortunate we never really got to see a true center like DeMarcus Cousins implemented into his offensive system.

If Wiseman was a once-in-a-lifetime talent like a Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, or Tim Duncan, you don't hesitate to draft him because he'd be a guaranteed at least 20ppg, 10ppg, and 2 bpg type player, instantly. I don't see that with Wiseman. Wiseman is a fine player, but he'll take some time to polish and develop his offensive game (aka project) and learn how to be inserted into their gameplan. And I don't think Curry, Thompson, and Green has time for him to learn the ropes of a center. So, he'll just be there for defense, rebounding, shot-blocking, pick-n-roll, and rim-running until those guys are really on the downside of their careers.

The very makeup of this team is predicated on the 3 principles: passing, shooting, and defend. If we want this team to be a well-oiled machine for the next 8-10 years based on that, the team needs to keep finding and adding players who have any of those elite skills. And I think Deni Avdija is our guy. Don't think he'll be an Allstar (Maybe decent starter), but at least keeps us competitive. His weaknesses will improve over time.
xdrta+
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,766
And1: 2,642
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#42 » by xdrta+ » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:28 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
I'd draft Wiseman if there's nothing going for the team aka re-build phase. But, this isn't a re-building team.


I don't think it's either-or. Just because you're not rebuilding doesn't mean you can't look to the future. Seems like it should be possible to get help now, whether Dwight (not my choice) or someone else, and still prepare for the future. Now, if they think Wiseman is going to flame out that's one thing, but I think they should still look for someone in the draft that they think they can build around down the line.


True, but I'm sure Coach Kerr will run his offense how he's always has with his core. It's unfortunate we never really got to see a true center like DeMarcus Cousins implemented into his offensive system.

If Wiseman was a once-in-a-lifetime talent like a Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, or Tim Duncan, you don't hesitate to draft him because he'd be a guaranteed at least 20ppg, 10ppg, and 2 bpg type player, instantly. I don't see that with Wiseman. Wiseman is a fine player, but he'll take some time to polish and develop his offensive game (aka project) and learn how to be inserted into their gameplan. And I don't think Curry, Thompson, and Green has time for him to learn the ropes of a center. So, he'll just be there for defense, rebounding, shot-blocking, pick-n-roll, and rim-running until those guys are really on the downside of their careers.

If Coach Kerr wants to continuing coaching this style of offense, he needs players with elite passing, defense, and/or shooting. Deni Avdija fits much of that criteria. His weaknesses will improve over time.


Drafting Wiseman doesn't mean it's all or nothing and he has to be inserted into the lineup immediately if he's not ready. They have 17 roster spots, including 2-ways, and if they feel they need someone like Dwight there's no reason they can't go after him while Wiseman develops. But that doesn't mean they have to draft Wiseman, though I would, it just means that if you draft him it's not all or nothing on him.

The draft is always a crapshoot -- IMO there hasn't been a 100% sure thing since LeBron, not even Zion. All you can do is gather every scrap of information you can and make your best guess on what is best for the team, both now AND in the future. But whoever it is shouldn't have to make or break the team in the next year or two.
Jay 20
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,456
And1: 1,092
Joined: Jun 21, 2015
 

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#43 » by Jay 20 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:57 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Jay 20 wrote:Listen this might not be popular but I truly believe that for the 2021 season Howard > Wiseman.

We need to think short term in my opinion and I believe Howard makes more of an impact sooner where we would probably have to wait on Wiseman.


Can you elaborate? Like give me line for line comparisons.

Because offensively Wiseman is already better. Especially at the foul line.

I would obviously give Howard the edge on rebounding, but I’d bet the kid is close on a per minute average.

Shot blocking would be a wash.

Running the floor- advantage Wiseman.

Screen setting Dwight but only because he’s ancient. But screen setting would be something you could easily teach the kid.

I think Wiseman is gonna be an All Star. So you’re asking me to pass on him, for a slight advantage in 2021? Which the kid could be better than him next season, we just don’t know yet


All valid points. I feel like Howard fits more of what WE need as a center. We don't need a scoring center, although you are correct about free throw concerns. I would give Howard the edge on rebounding and defense, both things we need in my opinion. I just don't know about a kid that has played 3 games in college. He could be great, but I do think it is a bit of a gamble. I don't think I am willing to gamble with our window slowly shrinking. I would rather go with a proven NBA talent in Howard or *insert name here* for our center or any other need.

The center position has always been a role player position for our team. I think the #2 overall pick can be used more appropriately for our short term goals. Whether it is traded or used on a different position.

Also, it does not have to be Howard it could be someone else that fills that role. I am on the side of trading the #2 pick for depth so it will be hard to convince me in drafting almost anyone, but that is just my opinion. I think typically the draft is a crapshoot. Too often we see some pretty bad busts. I like trying to construct with current NBA talent.
Little Digger
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,512
And1: 2,083
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
Location: The Charcoal State
   

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#44 » by Little Digger » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:03 pm

I think the #1 overall pick will be Wiseman..most likely by trade..

So the warriors will be on the clock with many directions to choose from..I’m hoping they find a sweet offer and move down or out..

Howard would be a really nice signing
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
User avatar
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,270
And1: 1,469
Joined: Dec 23, 2013
   

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#45 » by jason bourne » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:14 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:If true, they may go after a wing all along. Unless they go really big with both Wiseman and Howard? Probably not as our 5 position would be too stacked.

Personally, don’t want nothing to do with Howard.


I rather get Howard than Wiseman. He fits what the Warriors are looking for in a C, but I doubt he'll leave LAL for GSW.

"But according to The Athletic's Shams Charania, Howard and the Lakers have mutual interest in working out a new deal this offseason."

Yet, the Ws will give it a shot b/c Lakers have to re-sign AD to bigger deal, re-sign KCP, and trade Kuzma for Derrick Rose or another impact player.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.”
User avatar
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Starter
Posts: 2,219
And1: 173
Joined: Jul 14, 2006

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#46 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:13 pm

jason bourne wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:If true, they may go after a wing all along. Unless they go really big with both Wiseman and Howard? Probably not as our 5 position would be too stacked.

Personally, don’t want nothing to do with Howard.


I rather get Howard than Wiseman. He fits what the Warriors are looking for in a C, but I doubt he'll leave LAL for GSW.

"But according to The Athletic's Shams Charania, Howard and the Lakers have mutual interest in working out a new deal this offseason."

Yet, the Ws will give it a shot b/c Lakers have to re-sign AD to bigger deal, re-sign KCP, and trade Kuzma for Derrick Rose or another impact player.


Not sure if it's confirmed, but I'm hoping that Andre Drummond elects not to exercise his PO to become a free agent. If so, MLE ($6 mil over 2 years with last year as PO) for Drummond? I'd think we'd be the best situation for him as he hasn't been in a winning environment for almost a decade -- If he wants a potential shot for contention for the championship. And he gets the opportunity to opt-out the following year for a more lucrative contract.



No one gets hurt; win-win situation for both sides. Then we can draft Avdija with the #2.

Curry/Poole
Thompson/Lee
Wiggins/Avdija/Tuscano
Green/Paschall
Drummond/Looney/Chriss/Smiley

Still need help in the backcourt, though.
xdrta+
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,766
And1: 2,642
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#47 » by xdrta+ » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:If true, they may go after a wing all along. Unless they go really big with both Wiseman and Howard? Probably not as our 5 position would be too stacked.

Personally, don’t want nothing to do with Howard.


I rather get Howard than Wiseman. He fits what the Warriors are looking for in a C, but I doubt he'll leave LAL for GSW.

"But according to The Athletic's Shams Charania, Howard and the Lakers have mutual interest in working out a new deal this offseason."

Yet, the Ws will give it a shot b/c Lakers have to re-sign AD to bigger deal, re-sign KCP, and trade Kuzma for Derrick Rose or another impact player.


Not sure if it's confirmed, but I'm hoping that Andre Drummond elects not to exercise his PO to become a free agent. If so, MLE ($6 mil over 2 years with last year as PO) for Drummond? I'd think we'd be the best situation for him as he hasn't been in a winning environment for almost a decade -- If he wants a potential shot for contention for the championship. And he gets the opportunity to opt-out the following year for a more lucrative contract.



No one gets hurt; win-win situation for both sides. Then we can draft Avdija with the #2.

Curry/Poole
Thompson/Lee
Wiggins/Avdija/Tuscano
Green/Paschall
Drummond/Looney/Chriss/Smiley

Still need help in the backcourt, though.


Wait a minute. Drummond's going to turn down $29M so he can sign for 5 and a half million at most? Geez, how rich is he?
User avatar
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Starter
Posts: 2,219
And1: 173
Joined: Jul 14, 2006

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#48 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:49 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
I rather get Howard than Wiseman. He fits what the Warriors are looking for in a C, but I doubt he'll leave LAL for GSW.

"But according to The Athletic's Shams Charania, Howard and the Lakers have mutual interest in working out a new deal this offseason."

Yet, the Ws will give it a shot b/c Lakers have to re-sign AD to bigger deal, re-sign KCP, and trade Kuzma for Derrick Rose or another impact player.


Not sure if it's confirmed, but I'm hoping that Andre Drummond elects not to exercise his PO to become a free agent. If so, MLE ($6 mil over 2 years with last year as PO) for Drummond? I'd think we'd be the best situation for him as he hasn't been in a winning environment for almost a decade -- If he wants a potential shot for contention for the championship. And he gets the opportunity to opt-out the following year for a more lucrative contract.



No one gets hurt; win-win situation for both sides. Then we can draft Avdija with the #2.

Curry/Poole
Thompson/Lee
Wiggins/Avdija/Tuscano
Green/Paschall
Drummond/Looney/Chriss/Smiley

Still need help in the backcourt, though.


Wait a minute. Drummond's going to turn down $29M so he can sign for 5 and a half million at most? Geez, how rich is he?


Consider it an off-year or two. Yeah, dropping $29 mil like that for an MLE for 2 years @ $6 mil (with PO on final year of contract) to experience a winning atmosphere would be hard to swallow. Teams around the league know his value, so he'll get his big contract, regardless. But, you're right, it's probably highly unlikely.

Otherwise, Nerlens Noel is available.
User avatar
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
Posts: 10,154
And1: 1,845
Joined: Feb 07, 2010
Location: San Francisco
     

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#49 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:11 pm

Coxy wrote:This is a fart rumour. Nothing credible from the articles about it, just more beat writer poop.


it's definitely some farty poop stink
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
User avatar
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
Posts: 10,154
And1: 1,845
Joined: Feb 07, 2010
Location: San Francisco
     

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#50 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 pm

I'm genuinely going to be worried about Mylie when we don't draft Wiseman
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
User avatar
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Starter
Posts: 2,219
And1: 173
Joined: Jul 14, 2006

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#51 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:17 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:I'm genuinely going to be worried about Mylie when we don't draft Wiseman


Add ShayDee, as well. 2 of the biggest advocates for Wiseman. I have nothing against Wiseman; just think he's best suited for a re-building team so he can maximize his potential better.
ShayDee
Senior
Posts: 550
And1: 87
Joined: Mar 30, 2020
     

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#52 » by ShayDee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 pm

Little Digger wrote:I think the #1 overall pick will be Wiseman..most likely by trade..

So the warriors will be on the clock with many directions to choose from..I’m hoping they find a sweet offer and move down or out..

Howard would be a really nice signing


If Wiseman is #1 for a trade then Ball will go #2 to us for a trade as wall. I'm 98% sure
User avatar
Coxy
RealGM
Posts: 40,119
And1: 9,921
Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Location: Brought to you by the Splash Fam
   

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#53 » by Coxy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:27 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:I'm genuinely going to be worried about Mylie when we don't draft Wiseman


Add ShayDee, as well. 2 of the biggest advocates for Wiseman. I have nothing against Wiseman; just think he's best suited for a re-building team so he can maximize his potential better.


You can add me into that riot camp. If Wiseman is there at 2 and we pass on him and keep whoever we draft, I’ll unload with a baseball bat on Myers car and shag his wife.
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:but in a startling development the General board didn't agree.
ShayDee
Senior
Posts: 550
And1: 87
Joined: Mar 30, 2020
     

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#54 » by ShayDee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:I'm genuinely going to be worried about Mylie when we don't draft Wiseman


Add ShayDee, as well. 2 of the biggest advocates for Wiseman. I have nothing against Wiseman; just think he's best suited for a re-building team so he can maximize his potential better.


I will be upset because even if we are competing, I Believe Wiseman is a rare specimen of a 7fter than will not come in a long time and our team will never ever get this opportunity ever again. Why pass on it now? Like I have compared it to a Luka situation, call me crazy all you want, I believe in his overall talent and potential. Especially on our team

Teams like Boston, Heat, Nuggets draft the highest potential players and stil compete at the same time without problems, why can we not do the same? If we trade this pick and land an allstar/multiple future picks fine, but if keep the pick and draft a lower potential fit(Like Deni/Hali), or trade down for pennies then I will be super upset
Little Digger
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,512
And1: 2,083
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
Location: The Charcoal State
   

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#55 » by Little Digger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:03 am

Wiseman went up against a 7 footer in high school that was better than him..

But I’d probably still take him at 2
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
User avatar
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,270
And1: 1,469
Joined: Dec 23, 2013
   

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#56 » by jason bourne » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:44 am

What about the Forbes trade with the Cavs in order to save some members on this board?

Warriors get: Andre Drummond
Cavs get: Andrew Wiggins + 2021 FRP

https://www.forbes.com/sites/evandammarell/2020/10/13/the-cleveland-cavaliers-should-help-an-old-rival-and-trade-for-andrew-wiggins-this-offseason/#2094d97a4d72
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.”
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 11,065
And1: 3,934
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#57 » by wco81 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:56 am

jason bourne wrote:
I'll buy some nice champagne and celebrate getting LaMelo, Anthony Edwards, or trade down.


I'd be barfing too much to drink anything if they picked Lamelo or Deni.
Scoots1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 246
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#58 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:21 am

I can't get past Howard walking away from losing in the playoffs and blaming his teammates and claiming "I know I'm a champion".

Nerlens Noel and Willy Hernangómez are more interesting to me
Scoots1994
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 246
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#59 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 am

wco81 wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
I'll buy some nice champagne and celebrate getting LaMelo, Anthony Edwards, or trade down.


I'd be barfing too much to drink anything if they picked Lamelo or Deni.


I'd be okay with Deni, but would rather they trade down to get him.
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 39,103
And1: 8,789
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#60 » by Mylie10 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:56 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:I'm genuinely going to be worried about Mylie when we don't draft Wiseman


I’ll be on suicide watch.

The last time I was this invested was In Kawhi’s draft. But over time Klay has soothed that pain.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors