ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors select C James Wiseman

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Re: Warriors select C James Wiseman 

Post#141 » by Money_ » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:50 am

Nice, really hope he proves to be formidable C in the league.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#142 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:10 am

I hope he learns the right lessons and that he's man enough to stick to them.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#143 » by Onus » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:12 am

Can’t wait to hear about him in camp
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#144 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:25 am

I thought the guys on Dubs Talk brought up a good point I hadn’t thought of, that it might be easier for him without the big crowds. When you take fans out of the equation it takes a lot of pressure off, has more of a pick up game feel.

Also, you have to consider if he’s in the starting lineup he will be the guy getting the least amount of a teams defensive focus. Look what happened to Paschall, for a while teams didn’t have a scouting report on the game.

I will also say this, some guys do better at the NBA level since everyone runs a straight man to man for the most part. At the college level teams run a wide variety of defenses so your familiarity dictates your ability to control the game. For a guy as physically gifted as James he may do even better than we think since teams are not gonna run four guys with feet in the paint against us like they can in college.

James might do better than anticipated.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#145 » by floppymoose » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:59 am

Get 8 boards before fouling out. Average < 2 turnovers. Be decent from the free throw line. I'll be very happy if that's all I get from a 19 year old center.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#146 » by Mylie10 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:08 am

I do agree that playing a more wide open style in the NBA will be huge for him, instead of the two three zones he would mostly see in college and high school.

His athletic ability will get him buckets just based off the space he’s gonna find himself with. He really needs to be a solid screen setter. That alone will allow will be huge for the kid.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#147 » by Little Digger » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:47 am

By 30 games in , I’ll know exactly what we have in Wiseman..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#148 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:13 am

Mylie10 wrote:I do agree that playing a more wide open style in the NBA will be huge for him, instead of the two three zones he would mostly see in college and high school.

His athletic ability will get him buckets just based off the space he’s gonna find himself with. He really needs to be a solid screen setter. That alone will allow will be huge for the kid.

There is no point comparing defensive schemes between high school and the NBA. The level of athletes compared to him in high school is a joke.

He's got a lot of work to do and a lot of heart to show.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#149 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:18 am

Little Digger wrote:By 30 games in , I’ll know exactly what we have in Wiseman..

Nah. It takes a few years for bigs to reach close to their final form. If his confidence is shot coming out the gate his whole game will suffer, and maybe he doesn't recover for 50 games.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#150 » by Little Digger » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:13 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
Little Digger wrote:By 30 games in , I’ll know exactly what we have in Wiseman..

Nah. It takes a few years for bigs to reach close to their final form. If his confidence is shot coming out the gate his whole game will suffer, and maybe he doesn't recover for 50 games.

Na..KG it was obvious..Webber it was obvious..Hakeem it was obvious..Olowokandi it was obvious..Joe Barely Cares it was obvious..Embiid it was obvious..AD it was obvious...etc etc etc ...I can go right down the line..72 thru 20..I’ll know after 30 games
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#151 » by Mylie10 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:13 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

Great talent evaluators like me and Dig can spot it. For me I’ve already seen what I need to see. Dig needs a little convincing, or affirmation. But after 30 games Dig will hate him, and I’ll have asked him (JDub) to marry me.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#152 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Little Digger wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Na..KG it was obvious..Webber it was obvious..Hakeem it was obvious..Olowokandi it was obvious..Joe Barely Cares it was obvious..Embiid it was obvious..AD it was obvious...etc etc etc ...I can go right down the line..72 thru 20..I’ll know after 30 games

There are some that are obvious, but to be conclusive they have to ALL be obvious.

Embiid missed the first 2.5 years. So it took him 3 years to play his 30th game. He is DEFINITELY an outlier.

You won't "know" ... you'll have an idea.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#153 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:15 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Great talent evaluators like me and Dig can spot it. For me I’ve already seen what I need to see. Dig needs a little convincing, or affirmation. But after 30 games Dig will hate him, and I’ll have asked him (JDub) to marry me.

Dig is special ... he could tell what Embiid was going to be 100+ NBA games BEFORE he played his first game I guess.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#154 » by Mylie10 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:00 pm

I think his over reaching point was that guys in the list he mentioned, were easy to identify as great players.
Khoee wrote “
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#155 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:00 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I think his over reaching point was that guys in the list he mentioned, were easy to identify as great players.

Sure, some players jump out early and often. But not all of them do. Some players take some time but become stars later.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#156 » by Mylie10 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:10 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I think his over reaching point was that guys in the list he mentioned, were easy to identify as great players.

Sure, some players jump out early and often. But not all of them do. Some players take some time but become stars later.

To your point Gobert and Jokic were slow developers
Khoee wrote “
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#157 » by Coxy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:42 am

Mylie10 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

You could look at Bosh as a comparison to Wiseman in terms of similar games, and maybe draw a comparison of someone that didn't explode out of the blocks, but took 2-3 seasons before he was a bonafied all star. He averaged 11.5 ppg and 7.4 rbp in his rookie season, in 75 games. He didn't start straight away, and had a mega star in Vince Carter comanding the ball almost every posession (Curry this season). He carved out a niche as a skinny 19 year old, and you could see the smooth stroke, footwork and talent, but you also knew there would be some time for him to develop both physically, and mentally as a pro. Fast forward 2 seasons, and he was averaging 22.5ppg and 9.2 rbp, and was an all star as a 21 year old.

I see James developing this way, especially as a non focal point for the foreseeable future in our offense. However, I expect him to be more of a factor on defence rather than offense like Bosh was.

By year 4, we will have the 2nd coming of the Admiral and he will score 71 points on his way to the scoring title. Anyone who disagrees with this hot take and eat my ass.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#158 » by azwfan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:19 am

Mylie10 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Yeah, it took awhile for them to get there, but it was obvious they would get there much earlier. I recall folks being all excited about Jokic while I (having not seeing a Nuggets game) being confused why everyone was so excited about the 2nd rounder as opposed to the guy they took in the 1st (Nurkic).

Think its pretty apparent. Dudes rarely look lost and then all of a sudden are studs.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#159 » by Mylie10 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:48 am

azwfan wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Yeah, it took awhile for them to get there, but it was obvious they would get there much earlier. I recall folks being all excited about Jokic while I (having not seeing a Nuggets game) being confused why everyone was so excited about the 2nd rounder as opposed to the guy they took in the 1st (Nurkic).

Think its pretty apparent. Dudes rarely look lost and then all of a sudden are studs.

Jokic was the 41st pick and fat.

Gobert was picked 27 and nobody was excited about him other than his length.
Khoee wrote “
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#160 » by azwfan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:23 am

Mylie10 wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Jokic was the 41st pick and fat.

Gobert was picked 27 and nobody was excited about him other than his length.

Exactly. Yet halfway thru their first season folks were super excited about them. It doesnt take long.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.

Return to Golden State Warriors