Warriors select SG Justinian Jessup with the 51st pick

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,288

Re: Warriors select SG Justinian Jessup with the 51st pick 

Post#221 » by CS707 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:13 pm

FNQ wrote:
TB wrote:I actually am happy with what I've seen from Jessup. Teams are focusing on him much more and he's managed to become a better all-around player. Only thing that hasn't taken a jump is his 3point percentage, but I really think he can shoot it at a high clip in the NBA.

I do agree initially with the idea that he will NEED to be a sniper in the NBA, but I don't think it needs to be to the extent of Kennard. That dude is one of best shooters in the league and also has some playmaking skills. I don't think Jessup being Kennard is the floor for him. Thats more the ceiling (maybe with less offensive skill but better defensive ability).

Perfect situation is somehow he makes it through waivers and we can sign him to a 2way deal. But we may have to give him the 15th roster spot (which I doubt we really have a lot of open spots next year).

BTW, wrong thread, but doesn't look like Nico is helping his case to be a NBA player in Italy. Smiley is doing okay but also, not interested in bringing him back lol.

I dont have the stats like I do here, but I've heard that he's shooting more pull-ups there than C&S, which is definitely what he'd do here. He was borderline elite as a C&S player in college.. but going to AUS gave him a much better floor game in the SL. I thought it was easy to see how he could fit in here, but very few seemed to like him. A lot of it was boxscore watching tho so who knows, but I'd absolutely bring him in over Lee. And if he can be a 2-way player next year (not sure of his contract status) then that's pretty much a no-brainer, have to do that

He looked really bad the first game or two iirc. Part of that was SL not being a great format for him to showcase but he was timid and the shooting took a couple of games to come around. After that he improved quite a bit but I'm guessing aside from box score people have those initial impressions burned in their memory.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#222 » by FNQ » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:53 pm

gst8 wrote:
FNQ wrote:
TB wrote:I actually am happy with what I've seen from Jessup. Teams are focusing on him much more and he's managed to become a better all-around player. Only thing that hasn't taken a jump is his 3point percentage, but I really think he can shoot it at a high clip in the NBA.

I do agree initially with the idea that he will NEED to be a sniper in the NBA, but I don't think it needs to be to the extent of Kennard. That dude is one of best shooters in the league and also has some playmaking skills. I don't think Jessup being Kennard is the floor for him. Thats more the ceiling (maybe with less offensive skill but better defensive ability).

Perfect situation is somehow he makes it through waivers and we can sign him to a 2way deal. But we may have to give him the 15th roster spot (which I doubt we really have a lot of open spots next year).

BTW, wrong thread, but doesn't look like Nico is helping his case to be a NBA player in Italy. Smiley is doing okay but also, not interested in bringing him back lol.

I dont have the stats like I do here, but I've heard that he's shooting more pull-ups there than C&S, which is definitely what he'd do here. He was borderline elite as a C&S player in college.. but going to AUS gave him a much better floor game in the SL. I thought it was easy to see how he could fit in here, but very few seemed to like him. A lot of it was boxscore watching tho so who knows, but I'd absolutely bring him in over Lee. And if he can be a 2-way player next year (not sure of his contract status) then that's pretty much a no-brainer, have to do that

He looked really bad the first game or two iirc. Part of that was SL not being a great format for him to showcase but he was timid and the shooting took a couple of games to come around. After that he improved quite a bit but I'm guessing aside from box score people have those initial impressions burned in their memory.

That's right, he did start really slow. Especially game 1, where it was him and guys who are struggling to stay in the g-league. What I really loved about him was that he understood the assignment - he fed Kuminga and Moody often and tried to impact the game off-ball and with hustle plays... thats the kind of 15th man I want, not the Kyle Guy's of the world who can look good scoring in SL but aren't going to actually help when games start to matter
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#223 » by TB » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:30 am

Jessup struggled to get a rhythm shooting and to adjust to the athleticism on defense in the 2 games in Sacramento, but in the 5 Vegas games after he was our 3rd leading scorer (behind our lotto picks) and shot over 42% from 3.

I actually thought he was gonna get the 15th spot because GP2 kind of struggled running the point, but luckily our front office saw what GP2 could be off the ball. Worked out great getting GP2 + still have Jessup potentially next year.

One thing to note in the NBL, while his 3 ball isn't dropping at the best percentage, he's a main focus for defenses. He will get much more open looks in the NBA than in the NBL. So seeing him attack close outs, pull up off the dribble, make smart passes, defend well, etc... these are all things that can potentially make him more than just a spot up guy.
TB
General Manager

Post#224 » by TB » Fri Apr 1, 2022 8:53 pm

Jessup with a 29 point game. Every aspect of his all-around game has improved this year, and he's doing it all within the offensive system without forcing things or doing things that he won't be doing in the NBA.

Whole game vs Brisbane is on YouTube... and per usual, its worth it just for the NBL announcers, they are incredible.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#225 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Apr 1, 2022 9:35 pm

So the guy can shoot. How is his speed and jumping? Can he defend?
TB
General Manager

Post#226 » by TB » Mon Apr 4, 2022 7:50 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:So the guy can shoot. How is his speed and jumping? Can he defend?

I'd say he's a willing and smart defender.

Speed and jumping are probably his two weakest attributes. But, if he can always be positionally aware, understand personnel, and put in effort.. I think he can be a net neutral defender.

If I had to guess, I could see Moody shifting into more of a backup 2/3 role next season (at the very least taking what we have seen Lee have the last year or two)... With Jessup being able to be a 3rd string 2/3 wing that also sees some G-League time, similar to what we see Moody currently in this year.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#227 » by watch1958 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:59 pm

Jessup had a hard time breaking through because it seemed like he couldn’t play NBA defense. But now we have a roster with a bunch of guys who can’t play defense.

Also, he’d likely be decent on the Lakers right now. Can shoot, create a little, and who cares about defense anyway?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
TB
General Manager

Post#228 » by TB » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:05 pm

Well since this got brought back to the top....

Jessup is now in the ACB (Spain) on one of the worst teams but is now their leading scorer after 7 games. Didn't start season as a starter but has started 3 of the 7 now.

I'm pretty sure we still have his draft rights, even after he didn't make the team after his NBL contract... but I'm not exactly sure.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#229 » by xdrta+ » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:32 am

TB wrote:Well since this got brought back to the top....

Jessup is now in the ACB (Spain) on one of the worst teams but is now their leading scorer after 7 games. Didn't start season as a starter but has started 3 of the 7 now.

I'm pretty sure we still have his draft rights, even after he didn't make the team after his NBL contract... but I'm not exactly sure.

The Warriors still have his draft rights. If a drafted player signs with a non-NBA team, the NBA team has his draft rights for one year after that contract ends. The Warriors will have his draft rights as long as he keeps playing overseas and for one year after.
TB
General Manager

Post#230 » by TB » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:49 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
TB wrote:Well since this got brought back to the top....

The Warriors still have his draft rights. If a drafted player signs with a non-NBA team, the NBA team has his draft rights for one year after that contract ends. The Warriors will have his draft rights as long as he keeps playing overseas and for one year after.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess I'll keep an eye on what he's doing in Spain. 8-)
TB
General Manager

Post#231 » by TB » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:48 pm

Been a while since we have had a Jessup update, but I think its worthwhile....

After being injured and missing some time, he has joined one of the better German teams in Ratiopharm Ulm, playing next to some Santa Cruz guys in Trevion Williams and LJ Figouroa. They also have two players that are mocked in this years draft, one of which I've mentioned as a target for us in PG Juan Nunez.

Trevion has been that teams best player, and in the 7 games since Jessup has joined he's been right amongst their best starters as well. The two future draft picks have moved to bench roles.

So its now the third league (Aussie, Spain, Germany) that Jessup has gained a starting role and fit right in as an all-around player that can really space the floor. I'd bring him in once again this summer to see how he looks.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#232 » by Onus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

TB wrote:Been a while since we have had a Jessup update, but I think its worthwhile....

After being injured and missing some time, he has joined one of the better German teams in Ratiopharm Ulm, playing next to some Santa Cruz guys in Trevion Williams and LJ Figouroa. They also have two players that are mocked in this years draft, one of which I've mentioned as a target for us in PG Juan Nunez.

Trevion has been that teams best player, and in the 7 games since Jessup has joined he's been right amongst their best starters as well. The two future draft picks have moved to bench roles.

So its now the third league (Aussie, Spain, Germany) that Jessup has gained a starting role and fit right in as an all-around player that can really space the floor. I'd bring him in once again this summer to see how he looks.

Jessup was always interesting to me, but is he going to beat out Lester? Feel like they would be vying for the same spot/role and I would guess Lester is a better on ball defender.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
TB
General Manager

Post#233 » by TB » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:01 pm

Onus wrote:
TB wrote:Been a while since we have had a Jessup update, but I think its worthwhile....

Jessup was always interesting to me, but is he going to beat out Lester? Feel like they would be vying for the same spot/role and I would guess Lester is a better on ball defender.

I see Lester as a 3rd string 1/2, Jessup as a 3rd string 2/3 maybe small ball 4 at times.

I agree Lester has the quickness to be decent on-ball. Jessup is pretty slow, but a really smart defender.

All depends on how many roster spots we have available, but if its between an old vet that Kerr will put ahead of Moody and Jessup just joining the garbage time crew of Quinones, Santos, Garuba... I'm taking Jessup.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#234 » by Onus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:25 pm

TB wrote:
Onus wrote:

I see Lester as a 3rd string 1/2, Jessup as a 3rd string 2/3 maybe small ball 4 at times.

I agree Lester has the quickness to be decent on-ball. Jessup is pretty slow, but a really smart defender.

All depends on how many roster spots we have available, but if its between an old vet that Kerr will put ahead of Moody and Jessup just joining the garbage time crew of Quinones, Santos, Garuba... I'm taking Jessup.

At 6'7'' as a backup 2/3 that's not bad especially since we need shooting. He looks to be a lot stronger. He's probably better than Jerome Robinson and Pat Spencer. A clean up crew of Lester, Jessup, Santos, Garuba is interesting. Add in Jalen Bridges or Alex Karaban I think they would put in work as 3rd string and clean up blow out games or even get us back into some blow out games.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#235 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

Jack of all trades type scrubs have a tough time making it, because they need the opportunity. Jessup still profiles, to me, like a Damian Lee type player. Its not nothing.. but as noted above, I'm taking him over all of our 2 ways who arent bigs in the past 3 seasons

I love scrubs who dont make mistakes, even if they dont bring much to the table otherwise

Oh and I need to make a white on white comp too, per NBA rules. So.. a wing version of Jingles?
TB
General Manager

Post#236 » by TB » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:13 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:Jack of all trades type scrubs have a tough time making it, because they need the opportunity. Jessup still profiles, to me, like a Damian Lee type player. Its not nothing.. but as noted above, I'm taking him over all of our 2 ways who arent bigs in the past 3 seasons

I love scrubs who dont make mistakes, even if they dont bring much to the table otherwise

Oh and I need to make a white on white comp too, per NBA rules. So.. a wing version of Jingles?

Justinian Jingles Jessup has a nice ring to it.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#237 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:24 pm

TB wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Jack of all trades type scrubs have a tough time making it, because they need the opportunity. Jessup still profiles, to me, like a Damian Lee type player. Its not nothing.. but as noted above, I'm taking him over all of our 2 ways who arent bigs in the past 3 seasons

Justinian Jingles Jessup has a nice ring to it.

The one true JJJ

Return to Golden State Warriors