ImageImageImageImageImage

Tank?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

nismolos
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Re: Tank? 

Post#161 » by nismolos » Mon Feb 8, 2021 11:32 am

This coming from someone who has been very pro-tank...

WTF are you guys thinking? We are playing .500 ball on an improving roster and likely will end up better than .500 since the rest of our schedule gets easier (on average). We’ve beaten the Lakers, Clippers, and Blazers. Steph and Draymond are healthy and even without tanking we still may get the #4 pick. The We Believe warriors fanbase would be ashamed. They finished 42-40 and had to win like 9 of their last 10 games to sneak in. This team can go on a run.

I think we can get to the 5th/6th seed. Wouldnt be surprised at all.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#162 » by WarriorGM » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:12 pm

You guys want to tank and call yourselves Warriors fans?

The greatest player in franchise history is in his prime and available. You go for it. You don't tank. It was dumb of the Patriots to give up on Brady. It would be similarly dumb to give up on Curry.

What did tanking last year by holding out Curry for as long as possible from playing after his hand injury accomplish? It robbed the team of the ability to properly evaluate and assess the best lineups for this season. Maybe if Curry was seen to play well with Alec Burks or Glenn Robinson they'd still be with the team and this experiment with Oubre wouldn't have been necessary. Maybe the Warriors might have missed out on Wiseman but if they had gotten Haliburton who the team was reportedly high on instead would that have been necessarily worse?

Without Oubre there is an argument to be made that the Warriors would be three games better than they currently are and a potential contender.

If you have faith in Curry you trust in his ability to deliver. So many of you show yourselves to be faithless.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#163 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:18 pm

killmongrel wrote:Again, how do you tank when you have a guy on your team who scores like Steph Curry?

Sit him on the bench for half the 4th quarter and let the team get too deep in a hole?
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#164 » by WarriorGM » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:21 pm

wco81 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Again, how do you tank when you have a guy on your team who scores like Steph Curry?

Sit him on the bench for half the 4th quarter and let the team get too deep in a hole?

Great! Do that and Curry should ask to be traded. Then you can enjoy your tank with no worries.
wco81
RealGM

Post#165 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:34 pm

Remember the first time Curry scored over 50? That was a bad team and he had to light up the scoreboard just to keep the team in the game against the Knicks. They ended up losing that game anyways.

I guess Curry is on track to have another 300 3PM season, great for the record books. Not sure about the Warriors making the #5 or #6 seed.

That would be worth it if they get that high a seed. They'd have a good chance of winning the first round series in that case.

They'd lose their FRP but it gives the fanbase some thrills, though arguably they could use the pick for next season and beyond.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#166 » by WarriorGM » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:43 pm

wco81 wrote:Remember the first time Curry scored over 50? That was a bad team and he had to light up the scoreboard just to keep the team in the game against the Knicks. They ended up losing that game anyways.

I guess Curry is on track to have another 300 3PM season, great for the record books. Not sure about the Warriors making the #5 or #6 seed.

That would be worth it if they get that high a seed. They'd have a good chance of winning the first round series in that case.

They'd lose their FRP but it gives the fanbase some thrills, though arguably they could use the pick for next season and beyond.

2013 right? +15000 odds to win a championship to start the season. Upset the 3rd seed Nuggets and ended up pushing the mighty Spurs to 6 games. With an even slightly better or experienced team who knows what could have happened?

With Curry you go for it. You must give miracles a chance to happen around him.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#167 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:10 pm

Basketball is a TEAM game. It doesn’t matter how good Curry is. They had enough sense to not burn him out against the Raptors after Klay went down. If have one of the finest thoroughbreds don’t wreak him on meaningless races. The team as built will put unnecessary mileage on him.

If the goal is to win a championship, it isn’t happening this year barring a trade. If they can get two high picks, there are a lot of options to build a team worthy of championship for the long run. Even if they got a Klay like player this year they are still short a few pieces to win it all.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#168 » by The-Power » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:17 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:The team as built will put unnecessary mileage on him.

Yeah, let's freeze Curry and defrost him when we have a contending team. Or maybe players don't age when they don't play basketball so that might not even be necessary; who really knows.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#169 » by WarriorGM » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:30 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:Basketball is a TEAM game. It doesn’t matter how good Curry is. They had enough sense to not burn him out against the Raptors after Klay went down. If have one of the finest thoroughbreds don’t wreak him on meaningless races. The team as built will put unnecessary mileage on him.

If the goal is to win a championship, it isn’t happening this year barring a trade. If they can get two high picks, there are a lot of options to build a team worthy of championship for the long run. Even if they got a Klay like player this year they are still short a few pieces to win it all.

When exactly was this time you are talking about when the team had the good sense to not burn him out against the Raptors after Klay went down?

The game is played out to see the outcome. That is the only way to really know the team cannot win it all or that something worthwhile won't happen. Conceding before even playing is a sure way to accomplish nothing and is a loser's mentality. How does that quote go? 80% of success is showing up. Tanking is the exact opposite of showing up.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#170 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:40 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Basketball is a TEAM game. It doesn’t matter how good Curry is. They had enough sense to not burn him out against the Raptors after Klay went down. If have one of the finest thoroughbreds don’t wreak him on meaningless races. The team as built will put unnecessary mileage on him.

When exactly was this time you are talking about when the team had the good sense to not burn him out against the Raptors after Klay went down?

The game is played out to see the outcome. That is the only way to really know the team cannot win it all or that something worthwhile won't happen. Conceding before even playing is a sure way to accomplish nothing and is a loser's mentality. How does that quote go? 80% of success is showing up. Tanking is the exact opposite of showing up.

If you believe in that much, how about a signature bet. If the Warriors win the championship this year I’ll put a signature “I’m a dumbass. WarriorGM is right.” but if they don’t win you’re signature will be “I’m a dumbass. Spreechokejob is right.” for a year.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#171 » by WarriorGM » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:46 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

If you believe in that much, how about a signature bet. If the Warriors win the championship this year I’ll put a signature “I’m a dumbass. WarriorGM is right.” but if they don’t win you’re signature will be “I’m a dumbass. Spreechokejob is right.” for a year.

Clearly you don't understand the odds and rewards at play. The odds are not good but the reward is high at relatively low risk.

An equivalent bet would be if you win I will signature “I’m a dumbass. Spreechokejob is right.” But if I win you pay me $10000—and signature “I’m a dumbass. WarriorGM is right.”
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#172 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:51 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Clearly you don't understand the odds and rewards at play. The odds are not good but the reward is high at relatively low risk.

An equivalent bet would be if you win I will signature “I’m a dumbass. Spreechokejob is right.” But if I win you pay me $10000—and signature “I’m a dumbass. WarriorGM is right.”

Since you understand odds then you know the Warriors chance of championships will increase with low cost better talent than without.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#173 » by WarriorGM » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:52 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Since you understand odds then you know the Warriors chance of championships will increase with being low cost better talent than without.

Two shots is better than one and any increase in talent is offset by older stars.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#174 » by shazam_guy » Mon Feb 8, 2021 9:45 pm

What exactly does "low cost better talent" mean? Rookies? Like Wiseman, right? Kid has huge upside potential. But he's still learning.

The only other way to get low cost better talent is to take a flyer on a player who might -- MIGHT -- outplay his previous stats in a new situation. That's what every single team in the league is looking for, so it's not like, "Wow, never thought of that!"
wco81
RealGM

Post#175 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 10:22 pm

shazam_guy wrote:What exactly does "low cost better talent" mean? Rookies? Like Wiseman, right? Kid has huge upside potential. But he's still learning.

The only other way to get low cost better talent is to take a flyer on a player who might -- MIGHT -- outplay his previous stats in a new situation. That's what every single team in the league is looking for, so it's not like, "Wow, never thought of that!"

There are several rookies chosen in the teens getting regular minutes.

Haliburton, Bane, Anthony, Maxey, Precious, McDaniels, Stewart, etc.

These guys are going to have a lot higher ceilings than the G League castoffs that the Warriors have had to run with.

Some may be key rotation players by the end of the season.

That's what we're talking about, whether to get into the playoffs for a likely quick exit or making sure they get their top-20 protected pick.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#176 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Feb 9, 2021 6:19 am

shazam_guy wrote:What exactly does "low cost better talent" mean? Rookies? Like Wiseman, right? Kid has huge upside potential. But he's still learning.

What it means is this team is capped out and there are few options to improve the team. The draft is one of the ways this team can acquire cheap talent that can exceed what we can get.

The only way to return this team to championship level is to convert the maxes to superstars or get cheap talented role players to get a deeper team.

The first option is unlikely unless we have draft picks to trade for an available superstar.

Seeing as this team has struck out more than not on cheap good role players, it’s better to make it easier for the front office by taking the error out of it and let them choose high picks.

With draft picks and removing some useless players, and signing a few vets then the team will be ready to challenge next year.

As it stands this team only has one true All Star and people think they are going to contend? The only way to be even remotely competitive is if they make a trade and add a few more better players while dropping the underperforming ones if the goal is deep playoff run.
wco81
RealGM

Post#177 » by wco81 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:28 pm

It'll be interesting to see how many losses they end up with which were within 1-3 possessions.

They could be the difference between say the #8 and #5 seed.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#178 » by HiRez » Tue Feb 9, 2021 7:32 pm

Haha, many of you don't even realize the tank is on already. Soft tank for sure but it's happening. They could almost certainly win a few more games by playing Curry a couple more minutes when it's close in the 4th, but it hasn't happened. They may still stumble into the playoffs just because of Steph but I don't think they're trying too hard either. If they really want to keep winning they need to stop feeding Wiseman in isolation situations (when he's back), that's been a momentum killer all season. Play to his strengths, have him roll and dunk.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#179 » by shazam_guy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:02 pm

So not burning Steph out by playing him too many minutes is...a soft tank?

I think it's probably called "using your almost 33 year old superstar in a smart way".
wco81
RealGM

Post#180 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:47 am

Currently #8 in the West and #20 in draft order.

The lowest they could be in the draft order to retain their own FRP.

http://www.tankathon.com

Return to Golden State Warriors