ImageImageImageImageImage

Tank?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

svart
Analyst
And1: 3,386

Re: Tank? 

Post#61 » by svart » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:59 am

just play the season and see where it gets you. you don't waste another year of curry's prime by tanking again.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#62 » by The-Power » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Of course not, what kind of question is this? We have an all-time great and another multiple-All Star at the end of their primes who have played along for the good of the franchise last year in the tank season. We get them help and get out there trying to win as much as we can as long as we have Curry on our team. Everything else is inexcusable. Last year was an exception due to circumstances we couldn't control to which we had to adapt. Klay being out is terrible for him, hurts us a lot and would make winning the title a miracle – but we can still be highly competitive.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#63 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:07 pm

Conventional wisdom is with Oubre, Warriors are a lower seed and a first-round exit.

Hope that's wrong but likely it's a treadmill year at the cost of a draft pick.

With GSW's luck lately, that pick turns into a stud for OKC.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,153

Post#64 » by cpower » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:52 pm

SpreeS wrote:
cpower wrote:no, but are we trying to play Wiggins as #2 option? this is not going to end well.....Is there a market for him? maybe we can ship him and going for all defense and 1 year deals and wait for Klay to heal.

any long term commitment should be reviewed carefully, Wiggins's three year contract is certainly not helping.

S.U.F. I get tired from you barking on Wiggins in every post. Give a chance for kid.

S.U.F. you contribute nothing but personal attacks.
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#65 » by sjballer03 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm

SpreeS wrote:
cpower wrote:no, but are we trying to play Wiggins as #2 option? this is not going to end well.....Is there a market for him? maybe we can ship him and going for all defense and 1 year deals and wait for Klay to heal.

any long term commitment should be reviewed carefully, Wiggins's three year contract is certainly not helping.

S.U.F. I get tired from you barking on Wiggins in every post. Give a chance for kid.

Put him on your ignore list like I did. But unfortunately when people quote him I still see those terrible takes :D
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#66 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:41 pm

wco81 wrote:Conventional wisdom is with Oubre, Warriors are a lower seed and a first-round exit.

Hope that's wrong but likely it's a treadmill year at the cost of a draft pick.

With GSW's luck lately, that pick turns into a stud for OKC.

so if they are a low seed they keep their pick.
wco81
RealGM

Post#67 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:43 pm

So only 1 week, 4 games, probably need more data to assess this team.

I think for the overall season, they need to see improvement and consistency to be able to get up to at least #6 seed or else preserve Steph and Draymond and go for another high lottery pick

If all they can manage is to end up 7-10 for the play-in tournament, just for a chance to get beat down by the #1 or #2 seed, it would be better for them to go for a top half lotto pick with their draft pick and hope that Minnesota pick lands #4 through 7.

Problem is the overall depth of the roster is really poor. It would be great if Wiggins always played like he did vs. Detroit but would you rely on him to do that in a play-in game or a playoffs series on a consistent basis? That 3-point shot is 33% for the career and he's being asked to take double the number of 3s compared to his Wolves seasons.

If he gets it up to over 37.5% on 5-6 attempts a game, he likely would be scoring over 25 PPG on a 45/38/78 split, which would probably make him an all-star.

Oubre is also a career 33% shooter. He's currently shooting 4.8% from 3. He just needs to get it up to his career average on 5-6 attempts a game.

If both of these guys made those improvements, the Warriors would probably be on a 50-55 wins rate for a 82-game season, probably a good shot at a top 4 seed.

We got a long ways to go before this happens. Warriors just beat two teams which are a combined 1-7.

After the starters, they have players who are getting regular minutes but may not really be NBA players -- Poole, JTA, even Lee.

This is where being able to get two lotto picks in a stacked 2021 draft class may be better for the franchise, though of course the players, coaches and management all want them to compete this year.

I think this 7-game homestead, starting Friday night, over the next two weeks, will demonstrate the state of the franchise one way or the other.

They need to win at least 3 of the 7, more realistically 4 of the 7 and come out 6-5, to show that they would be a competitive playoffs team at least in the bottom half of the playoff seeds. Six of these 7 games are against playoffs team -- 2 vs. Blazers, 2 vs. Clippers and 1 each vs. Raptors and Pacers.

The other game is vs. the Kings, who are off to a good start.

Lose 5 and it's not a good sign but still have a bit of hope.

Lose 6 or 7 and it's pretty hopeless.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#68 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:56 pm

Wait to see if they can grab a player in trade deadline. If they don’t just play the young players most of the time and see if they can make the playoffs on their own. Maybe play Curry twice a week to keep him ready and save him for playoffs if they make it.

If they can’t make playoffs, then rest Curry and Dray most of the year and shoot for the highest draft pick they can get.

If Warriors can get Minnesota’s pick, that will put the team in position to build a future core similar when they got Klay, Dray, and Barnes. But they will have burnt two years prime of a generational player in Curry and is unlikely to get another generational player again. That shouldn’t have happened. As long as they have the greatest shooter of all time, they have to field a championship team.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#69 » by azwfan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:47 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:Wait to see if they can grab a player in trade deadline. If they don’t just play the young players most of the time and see if they can make the playoffs on their own. Maybe play Curry twice a week to keep him ready and save him for playoffs if they make it.

If they can’t make playoffs, then rest Curry and Dray most of the year and shoot for the highest draft pick they can get.

If Warriors can get Minnesota’s pick, that will put the team in position to build a future core similar when they got Klay, Dray, and Barnes. But they will have burnt two years prime of a generational player in Curry and is unlikely to get another generational player again. That shouldn’t have happened. As long as they have the greatest shooter of all time, they have to field a championship team.

I think the trade deadline is going to be telling if we're buyers or sellers. My guess is if we're in the hunt (which more teams will be this season) we'll be buying. If we're selling that means we're really sucking (But with so many buyers we may be able to get a good deal for one of our... oh wait we don't have crap to sell).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
wco81
RealGM

Post#70 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:08 am

If they win just one game or go 0-7 this home stand, the season is probably over.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#71 » by shazam_guy » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:17 am

I think it's a bad idea to assume there's no value to be had in making the playoffs this season, even if it's as a low seed and the Ws get eliminated early.

It's largely a new team, and there's a lot to be learned from playoff-speed and playoff-intensity basketball. Even if we're waiting for Klay's return before going for the gold, it would help a great deal for Wiseman, Poole, Paschall, and the rest to get NBA playoff experience. One of the reason the recent Warriors were so good was because they were so good under pressure. Five years in a row playing for the championship can't be matched by one season's playoffs, but it's a hell of a lot better than going from nothing to peak pressure without any experience.
wco81
RealGM

Post#72 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 5:19 am

Well the first time this core made the playoffs, they were all around 25 or younger.

Then Curry took a big jump into those MVP seasons.

So there was reason to believe that those early playoffs experience were stepping stones.

On the current roster, you only have Wiseman whom you hope is just starting on the ramp towards a high ceiling.

If you drafted a couple more lottery players next year though, then you'd be in a similar situation to the Warriors back in 2012 when they upset the Nuggets in the first round and then took a couple of games from the then-juggernaut Spurs.

Otherwise, making the playoffs as a 7-10 seed to end up playing vs. the #1 or #2 seed is likely treadmilling.
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#73 » by InWestWeTrust » Fri Jan 1, 2021 5:54 am

This team isn't close to a treadmill team. You guys are misusing that word. Playoff experience for the young guys is more valuable than tanking imo. At least for this team.

A season I'd be happy with: 7-10 seed and take round 1 to 6 or 7 games. Minny gets us the #6. We keep our pick. Hope Cade drops to #6 or package #6/our pick for Cade.

Roll into 2021 with:

Curry/Cade/Mannion
Klay/Lee/Poole
Wiggins/Oubre(resign)/JTA
Green/Paschall/Free Agent (James Johnson) or other pick
Wiseman/Looney/Chriss

Playoff experience+Cade+Klay

Curry-Klay-Wiggins-Green-Wiseman
Cade-Oubre-Looney
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#74 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Jan 1, 2021 6:16 am

I guess some of us think a team trying to get into the playoffs and see what happens is a waste of time? I don't need the Warriors to be favorites to watch them and enjoy. This could be a great year with lots of great stories.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#75 » by tarantism » Fri Jan 1, 2021 6:26 am

InWestWeTrust wrote:This team isn't close to a treadmill team. You guys are misusing that word. Playoff experience for the young guys is more valuable than tanking imo. At least for this team.

A season I'd be happy with: 7-10 seed and take round 1 to 6 or 7 games. Minny gets us the #6. We keep our pick. Hope Cade drops to #6 or package #6/our pick for Cade.

Roll into 2021 with:

Curry/Cade/Mannion
Klay/Lee/Poole
Wiseman/Looney/Chriss

Cade-Oubre-Looney
Oh man I really hope we don't go into 2021 with Looney on the roster, unless he's a coach.

Sent from my LM-X220PM using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#76 » by InWestWeTrust » Fri Jan 1, 2021 6:48 am

tarantism wrote:
InWestWeTrust wrote:This team isn't close to a treadmill team. You guys are misusing that word. Playoff experience for the young guys is more valuable than tanking imo. At least for this team.

Roll into 2021 with:

Curry/Cade/Mannion
Klay/Lee/Poole
Wiseman/Looney/Chriss

Cade-Oubre-Looney
Oh man I really hope we don't go into 2021 with Looney on the roster, unless he's a coach.

Yeah but he doesn't need to play much. Has a player option anyways. He's a good guy to have around.
wco81
RealGM

Post#77 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 6:57 am

There’s really only 1 young player whom we hope has a long future with the club.

Well maybe you can include Wiggins since he has little or no playoffs experience and GSW isn’t going to be able to move him until the last year of his deal if then.

We will see over the next two weeks if this team is capable of taking a top two seed to 6 or 7 games in a series.

By February or so, we hope the blowout losses in the first two games were outliers.

But if instead those kinds of losses to projected top 4 seeds become more typical, then the team won’t have to try to tank, the losses will pile up.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#78 » by tarantism » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:03 am

InWestWeTrust wrote:
tarantism wrote:

Roll into 2021 with:

Curry/Cade/Mannion
Klay/Lee/Poole
Wiseman/Looney/Chriss

Cade-Oubre-Looney

Yeah but he doesn't need to play much. Has a player option anyways. He's a good guy to have around.
Yeah I really don't mind him in a reserve role, but if he's the backup center again we've made terrible mistakes.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#79 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:56 am

Roll into 2021 with:

Curry/Cade/Mannion
Klay/Lee/Poole
Wiseman/Looney/Chriss

Cade-Oubre-Looney

Pretty sure the only way Cade drops out of the top 2-3 picks is if he has a big injury..... and if Minny gets #6 and the Warriors are (let’s say) #15, bundling #6 +#15 MIGHT get you up to #4, but certainly no higher. So getting a healthy Cade for ‘21-‘22 is a pipe dream.

More likely, we’re looking at a guy like Green, Kuminga, Johnson, or somebody in that tier.... which isn’t bad, but is different.

To the bigger picture, I’d only semi-consider tanking if Curry gets hurt for a prolonged stretch this year. I think when Draymond is back in the flow (which may take some time), we’re going to see the team step up dramatically. He gets guys the shots they can take and make, will captain the defense, and should have an incredible effect on Wiseman’s development on both sides of the floor. If we’re “tanking” later this season, I’d expect it to simply be putting ourselves in position to get the #19 or #20 pick, rather than having to trade the pick to OKC (if the pick is 21-30).
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#80 » by shazam_guy » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:37 pm

I want to send Wiseman film of Draymond and JaVale ooping. Because that some of that will make this a fun season no matter what.

Return to Golden State Warriors