ImageImageImageImageImage

[Shams] Warriors/Thunder in Serious Talks for Oubre

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Re: [Shams] Warriors/Thunder in Serious Talks for Oubre 

Post#161 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:08 am

I’ve seen a couple of things speculating that the Warriors included Looney in the deal (i.e. he went back to OKC, along with the draft compensation). Kevin Pelton’s trade grade on ESPN talked about Looney fitting into OKC’s rotation, as if he was part of it, and Nate Duncan had earlier suggested Looney was going back to OKC in the deal. But Woj didn’t mention it.

If Looney is on his way out, I would miss him, but I’d also predict that it means the Warriors are going to make a play to Marc Gasol to join us for 1 year, using the Disabled Player Exception. Taking away Looney’s salary (~$5M) reduces the tax hit as a starting point, but the value of the DPE (>$9M) is more than we could otherwise offer Gasol, and he’d probably like to have one final year before either retiring or fully going over to Spain. If we got him, that would be a HUGE “get”.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#162 » by clyde21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:09 am

Swift21 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:is that top 21-30 by record or by seeding

record.

realistically who's likely to have a better record than us?

Milly
LAL
LAC
Boston
Denver
BKN
Philly

after that it's a toss up with a bunch of team...there is a good chance we give them that 1st next year if Steph stays healthy
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#163 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:10 am

Swift21 wrote:

Record.

I think the way Woj explained this is strange, I think it’s as simple as “if the pick is 21-30, it conveys to OKC. If it’s 1-20, OKC gets the 2 second-rounders.”
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#164 » by azwfan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:11 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
Swift21 wrote:

Record.

I think the way Woj explained this is strange, I think it’s as simple as “if the pick is 21-30, it conveys to OKC. If it’s 1-20, OKC gets the 2 second-rounders.”

Woj is a busy man, probably just messed it up.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,245

Post#165 » by xdrta+ » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:11 am

Hopper15 wrote:
BayWarrior wrote:What would Oubre be able to sign for next year? I'd imagine if he comes cheaper than Wiggins then GS will decide which player to keep next year. Would be nice if Wiggins could raise his trade value this year.

They can sign Oubre for two to four year deal using Early Bird rights up to just above $25M starting.

Why wouldn't his full Bird rights come with him if he's traded?
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#166 » by Swift21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:12 am

clyde21 wrote:
Swift21 wrote:

record.

Milly
LAL
LAC
Boston
Denver
BKN
Philly

after that it's a toss up with a bunch of team...there is a good chance we give them that 1st next year if Steph stays healthy

Agreed but that's a big if.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#167 » by azwfan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:12 am

clyde21 wrote:
Swift21 wrote:

record.

Milly
LAL
LAC
Boston
Denver
BKN
Philly

I really have no idea. Even though we are talented, most of the better players on the team havent played together.

Curry, Green, Wiggins, Wiseman, Oubre... hmm... who are our other good players? haha
kingcong95
Junior
And1: 129

Post#168 » by kingcong95 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:13 am

1. The fact that we won't be giving them a pick higher than 21 is a big deal for me. I began to suspect that Oubre's value wasn't as high as had been discussed on these boards. I hope we got to save the Wolves 2nd but I won't get too greedy.
2. We do indeed have full Bird rights on Oubre. His current contract was only 2 years, but the Suns acquired him via trade (coming off his rookie scale contract) and already had the corresponding Bird rights.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#169 » by azwfan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:14 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Hopper15 wrote:
BayWarrior wrote:What would Oubre be able to sign for next year? I'd imagine if he comes cheaper than Wiggins then GS will decide which player to keep next year. Would be nice if Wiggins could raise his trade value this year.

They can sign Oubre for two to four year deal using Early Bird rights up to just above $25M starting.

Did PHX have his full bird rights? They signed him to a 2 year deal. I don't know how it works, but I had heard something about that locally here in PHX last year when he was doing well.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,897

Post#170 » by whatisacenter » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:14 am

Onus wrote:I guess they're too busy finalizing this deal to sign any undrafted free agents

Free agency starts tomorrow
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
azwfan
RealGM

Post#171 » by azwfan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:14 am

kingcong95 wrote:1. The fact that we won't be giving them a pick higher than 21 is a big deal for me. I began to suspect that Oubre's value wasn't as high as had been discussed on these boards. I hope we got to save the Wolves 2nd but I won't get too greedy.
2. We do indeed have full Bird rights on Oubre. His current contract was only 2 years, but the Suns acquired him via trade (coming off his rookie scale contract) and already had the corresponding Bird rights.

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for bringing it up.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,972

Post#172 » by zimpy27 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:16 am

clyde21 wrote:
Swift21 wrote:

record.

Milly
LAL
LAC
Boston
Denver
BKN
Philly

I think it's decent protection, I was worried it was lottery protected but the Warriors now need to not only get to the playoffs but be a close to a home-court team in the first round.

My main concern is what the SRPs are, are they 2021? or are they 2022? or are they 2023? If they are in the double draft then that would not be good.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#173 » by clyde21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:16 am

azwfan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Swift21 wrote:
record.

Milly
LAL
LAC
Boston
Denver
BKN
Philly

I really have no idea. Even though we are talented, most of the better players on the team havent played together.

Curry, Green, Wiggins, Wiseman, Oubre... hmm... who are our other good players? haha

remember, Steph led us to 51 wins back in 2014 under Jackson with a really young team...don't underestimate how hard he can carry this team, especially when people are overlooking it.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#174 » by Hopper15 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:18 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Hopper15 wrote:

He's only on a two year deal from Phoenix. I'm assuming that was a FA deal and not after a trade on his rookie deal.
ClutchUp
Junior
And1: 121

Post#175 » by ClutchUp » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:18 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Sweet deal by Big Dick Bob!

Agreed. I thought for sure we were giving up a FRP with lighter protection. Glad I was wrong.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#176 » by azwfan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:18 am

clyde21 wrote:
azwfan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Milly
LAL
LAC
Boston
Denver
BKN
Philly

remember, Steph led us to 51 wins back in 2014 under Jackson with a really young team...don't underestimate how hard he can carry this team, especially when people are overlooking it.

Didn't we have a lot of vets on that team? Bogut, David Lee, Landry (i think), Jarrett Jack (i think). I don't know. I love Steph, but I think we may get off to a somewhat slow start which could put us in enough of a hole to not convey the pick (but still make the playoffs). Or maybe I'm just being greedy.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#177 » by Hopper15 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:20 am

azwfan wrote:Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for bringing it up.

Trouble maker.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#178 » by azwfan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:21 am

zimpy27 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Swift21 wrote:
record.

Milly
LAL
LAC
Boston
Denver
BKN
Philly

I think it's decent protection, I was worried it was lottery protected but the Warriors now need to not only get to the playoffs but be a close to a home-court team in the first round.

My main concern is what the SRPs are, are they 2021? or are they 2022? or are they 2023? If they are in the double draft then that would not be good.

I don't care about the 2nds, but maybe I'm overly simplifying. There's some guys taken in the 2nd rd last night I would've liked to get (if we had roster space).
DIO
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#179 » by DIO » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:22 am

top20 protected 1st for Oubre?!

wow great!
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,972

Post#180 » by zimpy27 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 am

azwfan wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Milly
LAL
LAC
Boston
Denver
BKN
Philly

I don't care about the 2nds, but maybe I'm overly simplifying. There's some guys taken in the 2nd rd last night I would've liked to get (if we had roster space).

It matters if they are in the high school and college draft though. You're effectively getting to gamble on high schoolers that could usually be top picks the year after with SRPs.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to Golden State Warriors