ImageImageImageImageImage

These San Francisco Warriors will need to be elite defensively

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: These San Francisco Warriors will need to be elite defensively 

Post#21 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:47 pm

HiRez wrote:I think there's a decent chance we play at the fastest pace in the league. We got race horses and Steph and Draymond are great at the long outlet passes.

I think the Warriors should play at extreme pace, I do wonder how that works with Wiseman, is he going to be quick to get the break started if he gets the board? Is he going to sprint down every possession?
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#22 » by mos_def » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
HiRez wrote:I think there's a decent chance we play at the fastest pace in the league. We got race horses and Steph and Draymond are great at the long outlet passes.

I think the Warriors should play at extreme pace, I do wonder how that works with Wiseman, is he going to be quick to get the break started if he gets the board? Is he going to sprint down every possession?

He better sprint. The guy is 19 years old. It isnt like he is Gasol.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#23 » by Onus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:46 pm

If we can be elite defensively we have a chance, but it hinges on how ready wiseman is.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:59 pm

Onus wrote:If we can be elite defensively we have a chance, but it hinges on how ready wiseman is.

I think it hinges more on health and Dray's attack level.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,894

Post#25 » by Samurai » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:If they sign Batum when he's waived he has a 7'4 wingspan.

Wanamaker's paltry 6'8 wingspan is some kind of insult, and Curry and Poole are just pathetic.

Wanamaker's 6'8 wingspan is pretty decent for a guy who's only 6'3. Some have compared him to Iguodala in his ability to strip guys going up for a shot; Iggy's the master at that but Wanamaker averaged a steal/game despite only averaging 19 minutes/game. But yeah, Curry's 6'4 wingspan is pathetic; he should be cut during camp!

It was a joke that they don't have 7' wingspans.

I understand; I was also just joking about cutting Curry during camp. Even with his short wingspan, we should wait until about 10 games into the season. :wink:
Onus
RealGM

Post#26 » by Onus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:15 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Onus wrote:If we can be elite defensively we have a chance, but it hinges on how ready wiseman is.

I think it hinges more on health and Dray's attack level.

Agreed every season hinges on health. I’m not worried about draymond he knows when to turn it on. But draymond is not going to be able to guard Jokic / ad for a full 48 wiseman is going to have to step up and soak up some minutes there and how he’s able to will determine our championship fate. We have no one else on the roster that can really matchup with the big air craft carriers other than wiseman.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#27 » by floppymoose » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:07 pm

You are only going to get 20 minutes of Wiseman per game. He's gong to get the Andris Biedrins treatment from the refs.
Onus
RealGM

Post#28 » by Onus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:39 pm

floppymoose wrote:

You are only going to get 20 minutes of Wiseman per game. He's gong to get the Andris Biedrins treatment from the refs.

That’s most likely which is why they were looking to bring in another center.
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#29 » by InWestWeTrust » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:41 pm

Onus wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

Looney, Chriss, Green not enough?
Onus
RealGM

Post#30 » by Onus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:47 pm

InWestWeTrust wrote:
Onus wrote:
floppymoose wrote:You are only going to get 20 minutes of Wiseman per game. He's gong to get the Andris Biedrins treatment from the refs.

None of them really have the heft or size to deal with the all star bigs but they’re going to have to since we didn’t get anyone else
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#31 » by floppymoose » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:44 pm

Looney is not reliably healthy. Green will lose it playing a lot of center on a non-champ squad. So I do think we need another center.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,894

Post#32 » by Samurai » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:01 am

InWestWeTrust wrote:
Onus wrote:
floppymoose wrote:You are only going to get 20 minutes of Wiseman per game. He's gong to get the Andris Biedrins treatment from the refs.

They are enough in terms of quantity. But when going up against the big 7-footers, all three give up significant inches and pounds. Wiseman has the size but he doesn't have the experience to stay out of foul trouble.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 am

Onus wrote:
InWestWeTrust wrote:
Onus wrote:That’s most likely which is why they were looking to bring in another center.

None of them really have the heft or size to deal with the all star bigs but they’re going to have to since we didn’t get anyone else

If Wiseman can go 20 minutes and Looney, Chriss, and Smiley can go 5 minutes that's 35 minutes and there are not many bigs that go beyond 35 minutes a game.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:44 am

floppymoose wrote:Looney is not reliably healthy. Green will lose it playing a lot of center on a non-champ squad. So I do think we need another center.

Don't be a naysayer.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#35 » by Mylie10 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:50 am

Chriss played good center last year except for the really big guys. It’s a matchup league fellas. I think we’ll be fine.

We know that Looney can play high level playoff basketball if available.

It wouldn’t hurt to grab another center, but if it’s for emergency only then grab Noah and call it a day.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#36 » by The-Power » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Samurai wrote:They are enough in terms of quantity. But when going up against the big 7-footers, all three give up significant inches and pounds. Wiseman has the size but he doesn't have the experience to stay out of foul trouble.

I know people are worried about that, but how many big 7-footers are we going to go up against? Note that I'm only worried about big 7-footers that you can't play off the floor and who I don't want to have high usage when guarded by smaller players. So players like Whiteside don't count because I'd gladly have the opposing team try to involve Whiteside more and keep him on the court.

There's Embiid in the East, and Jokic and arguably Towns in the West. Maybe Gobert, but that's more on the boards and he shouldn't be able to get everyone in foul trouble either. Guys like Vucevic, Valanciunas and Kanter can hurt you some inside with their size but would struggle defensively at the same time. Ayton doesn't like physicality inside all that much, so I'm not worried about him dominating physically in the post. Someone like Adams, Thompson or Drummond may bang inside but nobody is worried about them when they think about roster construction.

So the way I see it, there are two or three match-ups where I'd say: yes, not having another big body is going to be an issue if Wiseman gets into foul trouble which – against Embiid and Jokic in particular – seems entirely possible. Only one of the match-ups would really be playoff-relevant. Hence, I'm not really concerned about our Center rotation at all. It's a situation of ‘could be better, but isn't a priority’.

I don't count guys like Davis and Giannis because any big we could possible get would get eaten alive due to their quickness and ability to initiate more from the perimeter. Both players I'd rather guard with Green or Looney (if healthy) than a big 5.
Onus
RealGM

Post#37 » by Onus » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:40 pm

The-Power wrote:
Samurai wrote:They are enough in terms of quantity. But when going up against the big 7-footers, all three give up significant inches and pounds. Wiseman has the size but he doesn't have the experience to stay out of foul trouble.

I know people are worried about that, but how many big 7-footers are we going to go up against? Note that I'm only worried about big 7-footers that you can't play off the floor and who I don't want to have high usage when guarded by smaller players. So players like Whiteside don't count because I'd gladly have the opposing team try to involve Whiteside more and keep him on the court.

There's Embiid in the East, and Jokic and arguably Towns in the West. Maybe Gobert, but that's more on the boards and he shouldn't be able to get everyone in foul trouble either. Guys like Vucevic, Valanciunas and Kanter can hurt you some inside with their size but would struggle defensively at the same time. Ayton doesn't like physicality inside all that much, so I'm not worried about him dominating physically in the post. Someone like Adams, Thompson or Drummond may bang inside but nobody is worried about them when they think about roster construction.

So the way I see it, there are two or three match-ups where I'd say: yes, not having another big body is going to be an issue if Wiseman gets into foul trouble which – against Embiid and Jokic in particular – seems entirely possible. Only one of the match-ups would really be playoff-relevant. Hence, I'm not really concerned about our Center rotation at all. It's a situation of ‘could be better, but isn't a priority’.

I don't count guys like Davis and Giannis because any big we could possible get would get eaten alive due to their quickness and ability to initiate more from the perimeter. Both players I'd rather guard with Green or Looney (if healthy) than a big 5.

I disagree about the Davis part. He struggles against heft rather than quickness. His worst matchup is against embiid.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#38 » by HiRez » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:55 am

It seems likely to me that Wiseman alone can get us an additional 4+ possessions from the center position just based on added rebounds and blocks. Only depends on how many minutes he can play and how turnover-prone and foul-prone he is. At 1.1 points per possession, that's an additional 4-5 points a game, not a small thing.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#39 » by whocurrz » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:43 am

It does take IQ from the players but we have the coaching to be a top 10 defense if we get effort. Our defense fell off mostly because of effort as we could lock down against teams like the Rockets with effort. Yes having brains like AI and Bogut gone is huge but that means we can’t just become as good easily. Will need effort but we do know we have some god players and coaching, if we can get lengthy guys like Wiggins and Oubre to execute a scheme and play with effort we’ll be good.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:52 pm

The-Power wrote:

I think the Warriors will front the post and double on the pass when the main offensive threat is a big. And that's probably true with Chriss, Looney, Smiley, and Wiseman at the 5.

Return to Golden State Warriors