zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Re: WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#1601 » by zimpy27 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:52 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Seeing Embiid abused tonight is why the Warriors are so high on the raw James Wiseman as a "generational talent" - in perfect form, as a big who can finish dunks or swat your shot into the fourth row... but who can also shoot a three and rotate out on the perimeter without getting blown by. IDK if Wiseman will get there, but that is the idea.

this is just nonsensical, Wiseman does nothing well that Embiid does, you don't just draft a dude at the same position and hope he turns into one of the top 2 players at that position in the league, what makes Embiid incredible isn't that he can block a shot on one end and hit a 3 on the other end...it's all the ancillary stuff he does well, the connective tissue skills wise that allows him to consistently do those things you pointed out...Wiseman blocking a shot doesn't matter if he gets abused on the 5 possessions before...Wiseman hitting a 3 doesn't matter if he has no idea how to play within our motion scheme.

yea, maybe that was their idea...doesn't mean it wasn't a bad idea. you laughed at the Drummond mention earlier...and then bring this to the convo? Embiid? lol.

Embiid was exposed and embarrassed by the Warriors. Warriors want Wiseman to be the ANTI-Embiid.

Mission accomplished then?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#1602 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:53 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Seeing Embiid abused tonight is why the Warriors are so high on the raw James Wiseman as a "generational talent" - in perfect form, as a big who can finish dunks or swat your shot into the fourth row... but who can also shoot a three and rotate out on the perimeter without getting blown by. IDK if Wiseman will get there, but that is the idea.

this is just nonsensical, Wiseman does nothing well that Embiid does, you don't just draft a dude at the same position and hope he turns into one of the top 2 players at that position in the league, what makes Embiid incredible isn't that he can block a shot on one end and hit a 3 on the other end...it's all the ancillary stuff he does well, the connective tissue skills wise that allows him to consistently do those things you pointed out...Wiseman blocking a shot doesn't matter if he gets abused on the 5 possessions before...Wiseman hitting a 3 doesn't matter if he has no idea how to play within our motion scheme.

yea, maybe that was their idea...doesn't mean it wasn't a bad idea. you laughed at the Drummond mention earlier...and then bring this to the convo? Embiid? lol.

Embiid was exposed and embarrassed by the Warriors. Warriors want Wiseman to be the ANTI-Embiid.

lmao
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#1603 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:19 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Mission accomplished then?

Obviously Wiseman is not anything accomplished. Did you watch Embiid tonight? Warriors made him a liability on both sides of the ball. You expect a 19 year old rookie to be a net liability, but not so much an MVP frontrunner.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#1604 » by Old_Blue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Did you watch Embiid tonight? Warriors made him a liability on both sides of the ball. You expect a 19 year old rookie to be a net liability, but not so much an MVP frontrunner.

I will be very curious to see how the "experts" feel about Steph's MVP chances after tonight. As recently as three days ago, the KIA MVP Ladder was ranking Embiid 2nd and Steph 9th. :lol:

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder-april-16-edition
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#1605 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:43 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Well seeing as Embiid is very good and Wiseman is very bad, you might be into something for once.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#1606 » by Onus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:41 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Onus wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Never translated to any wins. Dude is a mediocre big with nice stats on terrible teams.

We'll see him translate to a championship this year with lebron and ad.

Cool so we should expect to see Wiseman bought out of his contract in a decade and chasing rings with the real contenders.

Or as long as Steph is healthy we are a real contender?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#1607 » by Jester_ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:20 pm

Embiid is a weird comp, but sometimes I wonder if any of y'all saw what rookie Chris Bosh looked like.

Wiseman is literally better than Bosh at basically everything at the same age, with significantly less professional experience. I for one hope we trade him somewhere with a coach who isn't ass at player development so he can thrive.

Exhibit A: Chris Boucher
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1608 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:36 pm

Jester_ wrote:Embiid is a weird comp, but sometimes I wonder if any of y'all saw what rookie Chris Bosh looked like.

Wiseman is literally better than Bosh at basically everything at the same age, with significantly less professional experience. I for one hope we trade him somewhere with a coach who isn't ass at player development so he can thrive.

yea, that's why Wiseman is trash, Steve Kerr.

the level of delusion on this board is becoming more and more hilarious after every game.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#1609 » by Jester_ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Jester_ wrote:Embiid is a weird comp, but sometimes I wonder if any of y'all saw what rookie Chris Bosh looked like.

the level of delusion on this board is becoming more and more hilarious after every game.

lol was Bosh "trash" his rookie year? Or did you start watching in 2017
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,899

Post#1610 » by whatisacenter » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:09 pm

Man, the young big guy really had a snake bit rookie season and it is really unfortunate that he will have to rehab this offseason. I read that he had plans to work with KG during the offseason and I wonder if that is off the table now or if they can still work together. Getting comfortable in the Warriors system is going to be difficult from the sidelines but I hope he can soak up the magic that is happening by osmosis.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,155

Post#1611 » by cpower » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:20 pm

what? I watched Bosh in his early raptors days and Bosh was miles ahead of Wiseman... he was not exciting and but barely makes mistakes.. Wiseman is always making mistakes....you can't be serious to compare them...
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1612 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:21 pm

Jester_ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

back in 2003? i don't know and idgaf...Wiseman has been trash this year, that's like pretty much indisputable at this point
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#1613 » by shazam_guy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:04 pm

But you can't quit him, can you?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#1614 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:42 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

back in 2003? i don't know and idgaf...Wiseman has been trash this year, that's like pretty much indisputable at this point

I thought he looked great the first 10 games of the year. Then when they started restricting him to setting screens and rim running he turned to pewp. He looked more comfortable shooting 3's and doing show n go's early in the year.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1615 » by and1GS » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:01 pm

My objective take would be...
-He looked good the first 10 or so games, seemed to learn quick
-He played losing basketball from then on. Would shrug his shoulders. Pout. Generally snowball once he had a single bad play
-Seemed to turn a corner the final few games
-Injuries and COVID violations played a significant role in his (lack of) development

I get it's fun to yell 'I was first' over and over but I do wish some on this forum would accept the above more as reality and less as falsehoods pushed by Wiseman truthers. I don't really have a horse in the race, but he's our player until he isn't. So just trying to be realistic about his value to us or another team.

And please note I said 'some' on this forum. IMO once hyperbole gets into the discussion, these sorts of debates degrade quickly.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#1616 » by TB » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:22 am

Well since his season is over...

Statistically he landed almost exactly where I expected. With rebounds and blocks slightly lower, but nothing bad or alarming at this stage.

I was also impressed with his work ethic and maturity on/off the court. The kid wants to be great and has handled all of his ups and downs well. He tried so hard not to screw up he didn't always look loose or enjoying his time. Plus he got down on himself alot since not a ton of positives were happening for him on the court. Nothing alarming here, he's a kid. Overall I have no issues with where his demeanor/work ethic are. We just need to see him succeed more and have more fun out there.

My main negative is just the fit and direction of our team and the league. He was clearly a negative on our team this year, so the interesting thing will be if he gets good enough to warrant being the mid/high usage prototype that he is.

If we don't trade him in the offseason, i'll enjoy rooting for him to make big improvements next year.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#1617 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:40 am

It's obvious that Wiseman hasn't played much organized ball, and also that he has a big toolset. He seems smart, he seems like he wants to work hard and get better. In contrast with the pre-Lacob Warriors, I actually trust this team to develop raw players. Jury will be out for a while, anyone who claims they have figured him out already is just looking for a hot take.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#1618 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:46 am

whatisacenter wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:You know what's funny?

Lots of people who are saying "LaMelo was the right pick all along, Wiseman sucks" were the same people who said Isaac Okoro was a clear cut top 3 pick too. There were even members here who said he deserved to be the #1 pick.

If Wiseman was a wasted pick and probable bust according to some, what about Okoro, who's averaging 8/3/2 in 32mpg, including an awesome 7,2 PER?

There was only one Okorostan and sadly I haven’t heard from him in some time...I hope he’s ok.

But to be clear on Okoro.....he’s started all year. So he IS making an impact. Which right now looks bad, but as a rookie playing 32 minutes per game, that’s impressive. So looking at raw numbers maybe isn’t the best way to gauge Okoro.

same, I haven't heard from digger in quite some time.

Sorry for the late reply, work took its toll the last few days.

Yes, I remember reading Little Digger was high on Okoro. But he changed his opinion lots of time during (before) the draft, and I wasn't talking specifically about him. I clearly remember reading there were quite a few people placing Okoro as a top 3 pick at that time.

Okoro plays hard, is athletic, a good defender. But has a short wingspan and seems very undersized for his position. I believe eventually the Cavs will trade one of Sexton or Garland, and put Okoro as the SG. I don't know, he seems very underwhelming to me. His actual production isn't nothing to write about. And when he was in college it seemed like that too.

Just to make it clear, my big board for this past draft was:

1. Wiseman
2. Edwards
3. Haliburton
4. Okongwu
5. Avdija
6. LaMelo

The rest I don't remember so well. But I remember I had Patrick Williams in the top 10, and Poku in the 12/14 range.

As for Wiseman: 12/6 + 1 block in 21 mpg, with a 13 PER, as a 19 year old, seems good enough to me.

I fully understand many of the other advanced stats, like BPM, VORP, etc are not good, but I simply don't care about them at this time in his career trajectory & development.

I remember when Kevin Durant was in his earlier years, and there was an article at True Hoop saying he had a negative plus/minus, this & that, etc. He turned out pretty fine in my view.

Those who follow the history of the NBA knows there are countless examples of players who had a great spike in production somewhere in their careers, mainly in the first 3/4 years. Just recently we had Giannis, who I absolutely believe 0,00001% of the fans imagined would turn up his production like the MVP and all-timer he reached the past 2/3 years.

Obviously I'm not comparing Wiseman to Giannis. I'm just saying I believe in his potencial, and shall I say again, I fully think he will reach borderline All-Star status (top 25/30 in a given year) by year 4 or 5, barring injury. The potential is just too great to ignore.

Cheers, Mylie.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#1619 » by EvanZ » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:56 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:In contrast with the pre-Lacob Warriors, I actually trust this team to develop raw players.

Why? What raw players have they developed?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Jester_
General Manager

Post#1620 » by Jester_ » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:32 pm

clyde21 wrote: i don't know and idgaf

story of every take you've ever had :roll:

Return to Golden State Warriors