ImageImageImageImageImage

WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Re: WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#301 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:18 am

Outside of that one drive by Dame on the baseline that made him look silly I thought he held his own pretty well in space. Had a couple blocks on Dame and CJ in back to back possessions as well.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#302 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:49 am

One of the reasons they drafted him was size, to help with the rebounding and rim protection.

I think they gave him too long leash so he's sometimes hunting for shots which aren't in the structure of an offense. They're not calling his number but when he does get the ball, he tries to put it up. He made some shots early and was a bright spot in an otherwise bleak start of the season.

They have to tighten the leash again. His priorities should be:

1. Rebound
2. Contest shots in the paint.
3. Screen for the shooters.
3. Run in transition for possible easy baskets.

The only types of shots he should be taking now are:

1. Put backs on offensive rebounds.
2. Post ups on shots he's practiced or something within an offensive set.
3. Rim running attempts. I don't know why we didn't see the Curry to Draymond pick and roll. The results probably won't be a lob. It will be corner 3s that defenses concede since the team isn't making those consistently.
4. Maybe pick and pop if he practices an elbow jumper.

Problem is that he isn't doing the top 3 things, so he's not contributing unless he gets the ball in a scramble and makes a shot or gets a dunk.

He seems to be worse rebounder than Damian Jones, so this is a bad path.

Start with the basic things, use his size and length to help the team with rebounds and shot contests.

Then build towards getting a greater role in the offense.

Yeah he's only played 5 NBA games after 3 college games. But he needs to show a high motor so that he gets the most out of his size.

As desperate as the team is for scoring, he needs to contribute with rebounds and rim protection first and then build on those. These things are a lot about effort, with skill and experience to get to the next level.
drewbreeze
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#303 » by drewbreeze » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:00 am

I think Curry could do a better job of letting Wiseman roll with the ball when they run a screen. Wiseman’s offensive game is attacking the basket with his size instead of shooting jumpers. It’s a much higher percentage play and can take weight off Curry’s shoulders on offence. We need points, Curry can get 30, Wiggins gets his own shots for 20 max, that’s 50. Wiseman needs to help us reach 110-120 points a game.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#304 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:20 pm

If this season is all but lost (again), I really want Wiseman to get the greenlight to do the following:

1) Learn how to operate and pass from the low-post.
Will require patience, observing and knowing where his teammates will be on the floor. Learn to look for cutters and players moving without the ball to their spots.

2) Develop a defensive voice
If this team wants to be successful, he needs to develop defense awareness like Bogut and help direct where his players need to be and let them know what offensive play will develop.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#305 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:59 pm

drewbreeze wrote:I think Curry could do a better job of letting Wiseman roll with the ball when they run a screen. Wiseman’s offensive game is attacking the basket with his size instead of shooting jumpers. It’s a much higher percentage play and can take weight off Curry’s shoulders on offence. We need points, Curry can get 30, Wiggins gets his own shots for 20 max, that’s 50. Wiseman needs to help us reach 110-120 points a game.

Why is it on Steph that Wiseman doesn't roll hard?
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#306 » by jamesnamida » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:31 am

Somebody make a mix of his highlights I cant wait for more games, already got some great moments. XD
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#307 » by jamesnamida » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:34 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
jamesnamida wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:11.8/9.1/1.5/0.8/2.1/53/00/75

I feel like he's gonna launch a few threes :D

How did you know?

Saw his practice videos, looked great shooting nba 3s. They made a point for him to work on it before the season started.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#308 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:35 am

Wiseman....mmmm...damn! He looks so much better on defense and offense tonight. Having Draymond really seems to organize the team and help Wiseman.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#309 » by Little Digger » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:38 am

Wiseman looked marvelous tonight ..I may be gay
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#310 » by killmongrel » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:47 am

This had to be Wiseman's best game, right?
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#311 » by tarantism » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:47 am

Yeah shout out to Wiseman for the efficient double-double on 6/9 shooting. Sky is the limit for this kid.

Now if only we could play him next to Draymond /s

Sent from my LM-X220PM using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#312 » by killmongrel » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:01 am

tarantism wrote:Yeah shout out to Wiseman for the efficient double-double on 6/9 shooting. Sky is the limit for this kid.

Now if only we could play him next to Draymond /s

Sent from my LM-X220PM using RealGM mobile app

His 3 point percentage is starting to dip though. Might have to start the convo about trading him.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#313 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:55 am

I thought Wiseman looked a lot better defensively today. He looks much more comfortable hedging the PNR than he does defending it in drop. For whatever reason, it seems to be easier for him to keep drivers in front of him near the three point line than it is when he's in the paint.

I was also thrilled to see Wiseman roll hard today and make an active effort to get to the hoop. His body control was impressive.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#314 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:12 am

I expect him to pee on the carpet and occasionally tear up the furniture.

But by seasons end I expect the kind of protection you’d expect from a Rottweiler when you need it.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,903

Post#315 » by whatisacenter » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:22 am

Wiseman actually played with an attitude tonight against Nurkic. I liked it...a lot!
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
TrueFan420
Senior
And1: 431

Post#316 » by TrueFan420 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:42 am

Wiseman’s body language concerns me at times. He seems to get visibly frustrated with himself when he makes mistakes. That can be both good and bad and from all reports he’s an eager learner and works hard so signs point to good. Still just an observation.
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#317 » by ahmetmekin » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:06 am

He is skilled, hard worker, athletic. I think it is given that he will be a positive contributor offensively. It is difficult to predict how effective he will become on defense. In any case, we were lucky he played only 3 college games otherwise he would be chosen at 1.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#318 » by Little Digger » Mon Jan 4, 2021 12:57 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:It is difficult to predict how effective he will become on defense..

Maybe for you

Seems beyond obvious to me..He’s already a game changer
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#319 » by Little Digger » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:00 pm

TrueFan420 wrote:Wiseman’s body language concerns me at times. He seems to get visibly frustrated with himself when he makes mistakes. That can be both good and bad and from all reports he’s an eager learner and works hard so signs point to good. Still just an observation.

Yes I much prefer the Damian Jones/POB/Michael Olowokandi/Joe Barely Cares types..
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#320 » by Coxy » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:02 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:He is skilled, hard worker, athletic. I think it is given that he will be a positive contributor offensively. It is difficult to predict how effective he will become on defense. In any case, we were lucky he played only 3 college games otherwise he would be chosen at 1.

If Wiseman had played 40 college games, won the NCAA title averaging 40 / 15 / 8, the Wolves would still have messed up the number 1 pick. It’s what they do.

Return to Golden State Warriors