WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Re: WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#321 » by ahmetmekin » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:05 pm

Little Digger wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:It is difficult to predict how effective he will become on defense..

Maybe for you

Seems beyond obvious to me..He’s already a game changer

I don't think it is obvius that he will be dpoy level, very good level or good level. I am pretty sure it is not a lock he will become Gobert on defense.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#322 » by Little Digger » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:12 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:
Little Digger wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:It is difficult to predict how effective he will become on defense..

Maybe for you

Seems beyond obvious to me..He’s already a game changer

I don't think it is obvius that he will be dpoy level, very good level or good level. I am pretty sure it is not a lock he will become Gobert on defense.

Well ok that’s a reasonable take

But DPOY he’ll in the vicinity for the next decade

I don’t know about Rudy level either..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#323 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:03 pm

Coxy wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:He is skilled, hard worker, athletic. I think it is given that he will be a positive contributor offensively. It is difficult to predict how effective he will become on defense. In any case, we were lucky he played only 3 college games otherwise he would be chosen at 1.

If Wiseman had played 40 college games, won the NCAA title averaging 40 / 15 / 8, the Wolves would still have messed up the number 1 pick. It’s what they do.

Well no. For example they picked KAT over Jahlil Okafor and D'Angelo Russell.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,797

Post#324 » by floppymoose » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:05 pm

You build teams from the C outward on defense, and from PG inward on offense. GS has both anchored pretty well right now.

If we are going to take the super-way-too-early look at the top 3 picks, Warriors have played better with Wiseman on the floor than off, but Minny/Charlotte have been worse when Edwards/Ball are on the court.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#325 » by Little Digger » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:00 pm

floppymoose wrote:You build teams from the C outward on defense, and from PG inward on offense. GS has both anchored pretty well right now.

If we are going to take the super-way-too-early look at the top 3 picks, Warriors have played better with Wiseman on the floor than off, but Minny/Charlotte have been worse when Edwards/Ball are on the court.

Edwards almost got a rebound last night..So close . I see real improvement
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Mav_Carter
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#326 » by Mav_Carter » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:02 pm

I watched Evan Mobley over the weekend...he was 0-0 with zero points but impacted the game like Draymond does...he made the right basketball play on every possession...I haven't seen Wiseman make the right play once on offense yet this season...people tell me that will change with coaching...we'll see...
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,797

Post#327 » by floppymoose » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:06 pm

Steph Curry could not deal with on-ball pressure his first 134 minutes of play. How did that work out?
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#328 » by Little Digger » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:45 pm

floppymoose wrote:Steph Curry could not deal with on-ball pressure his first 134 minutes of play. How did that work out?
excellent memory..
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,021

Post#329 » by Frozzy » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:15 pm

Mav_Carter wrote:I watched Evan Mobley over the weekend...he was 0-0 with zero points but impacted the game like Draymond does...he made the right basketball play on every possession...I haven't seen Wiseman make the right play once on offense yet this season...people tell me that will change with coaching...we'll see...

Damn not even once?!
orsettocattivo
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#330 » by orsettocattivo » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:31 pm

He had a couple times where he was open at the top of the key and in the first games he would have shot, but in this game he kept moving the ball and setting screens, that’s pretty good, he needs to find a balance between shooting to keep centers on him but only when it’s a good shot in the offense

On the other end it feels like he could even get the ball more in pick and rolls, sometimes he is quite open
TrueFan420
Senior
And1: 431

Post#331 » by TrueFan420 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:10 am

Little Digger wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:Wiseman’s body language concerns me at times. He seems to get visibly frustrated with himself when he makes mistakes. That can be both good and bad and from all reports he’s an eager learner and works hard so signs point to good. Still just an observation.

Yes I much prefer the Damian Jones/POB/Michael Olowokandi/Joe Barely Cares types..

Thanks for the useless comment that adds nothing and is practically irrelevant to my comment.

No one wants those types. As I said from all reports he cares and wants to learn. Being noticeably frustrated with yourself when you make mistakes goes beyond caring or not caring. Depending on mental make up could be problematic. His body lang is concerning because we have a lack of verifiable information on the kid. He seems to have the right mindset so hopefully should be good but still something to keep an eye on. Those things can spiral quickly.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#332 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:23 am

Mav_Carter wrote:I watched Evan Mobley over the weekend...he was 0-0 with zero points but impacted the game like Draymond does...he made the right basketball play on every possession...I haven't seen Wiseman make the right play once on offense yet this season...people tell me that will change with coaching...we'll see...

You are so dumb sometimes.....I mean a lot
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#333 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:26 am

TrueFan420 wrote:
Little Digger wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:Wiseman’s body language concerns me at times. He seems to get visibly frustrated with himself when he makes mistakes. That can be both good and bad and from all reports he’s an eager learner and works hard so signs point to good. Still just an observation.

Yes I much prefer the Damian Jones/POB/Michael Olowokandi/Joe Barely Cares types..

Thanks for the useless comment that adds nothing and is practically irrelevant to my comment.

No one wants those types. As I said from all reports he cares and wants to learn. Being noticeably frustrated with yourself when you make mistakes goes beyond caring or not caring. Depending on mental make up could be problematic. His body lang is concerning because we have a lack of verifiable information on the kid. He seems to have the right mindset so hopefully should be good but still something to keep an eye on. Those things can spiral quickly.

To your original point......he’s 19

And if you’ll notice, instead of nitpicking, he is learning from his mistakes. He’s also being coached and taking in the coaching. Whether it’s from Kerr, Draymond, Steph or anybody else coaching him up.

But he’s 19. What 19 year old doesn’t show emotion when they make a mistake? I have three boys......it’s what they do.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#334 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:27 am

And we don’t need to keep an eye on that
Khoee wrote “
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#335 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:30 am

MY GUY WISEMAN BE EATIN
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,890

Post#336 » by whatisacenter » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:07 am

one of the things detractors of Wiseman were saying leading up to the draft was that he lacked motor and I have seen none of that. I like the passion he plays with and you can see he cares and wants to get better. Young bigs take the longest to develop and usually look lost in their first season but Wiseman already looks like he is picking up defensive rotations and is looking more comfortable in the two man game with Curry.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
TrueFan420
Senior
And1: 431

Post#337 » by TrueFan420 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:12 am

Mylie10 wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:
Little Digger wrote:Yes I much prefer the Damian Jones/POB/Michael Olowokandi/Joe Barely Cares types..

To your original point......he’s 19

And if you’ll notice, instead of nitpicking, he is learning from his mistakes. He’s also being coached and taking in the coaching. Whether it’s from Kerr, Draymond, Steph or anybody else coaching him up.

But he’s 19. What 19 year old doesn’t show emotion when they make a mistake? I have three boys......it’s what they do.

I know he’s young and from all signs he seems to have the right mentality which is important. But it’s just not showing emotion but rather seems to be overly hard or frustrated with himself. Those things can spiral negatively quickly for young guys. I’m likely over reading it but with limited info it’s certainly something I hope to see him improve.

I’ve been extremely impressed with his growth from game 1 to now. I’m sure he will hit a rough patch as a tool but I fully expect him to push through it and look even better by end of year. I’ve been extremely impressed with his fluidity as well. You just don’t see that with guys his size. He’s certainly going to be special.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#338 » by killmongrel » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:14 am

whatisacenter wrote:one of the things detractors of Wiseman were saying leading up to the draft was that he lacked motor and I have seen none of that. I like the passion he plays with and you can see he cares and wants to get better. Young bigs take the longest to develop and usually look lost in their first season but Wiseman already looks like he is picking up defensive rotations and is looking more comfortable in the two man game with Curry.

Is he at least better than Damion Jones at this moment? :lol:
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#339 » by Coxy » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:49 am

Mylie10 wrote:

He may have a point Mylie. Clearly, in this delicious clip, the right play was to not push the ball forward with a fabulous court eating run, pass it forward to the wingman to make a decision on, drive hard to basket whilst making it known he was available for a juicy lob, and then to smash it on the defenders head for an And1.

Read on Twitter
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#340 » by Quazza » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:41 am

Coxy wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

He may have a point Mylie. Clearly, in this delicious clip, the right play was to not push the ball forward with a fabulous court eating run, pass it forward to the wingman to make a decision on, drive hard to basket whilst making it known he was available for a juicy lob, and then to smash it on the defenders head for an And1.

Read on Twitter

I love that Steph was calling for it :lol:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment

Return to Golden State Warriors