ImageImageImageImageImage

Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Jester_
General Manager
Posts: 8,129
And1: 711
Joined: Mar 25, 2011

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#661 » by Jester_ » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:ok? TS%? 62% to 55%, meanwhile Carter has the edge in PER, DRTG, BPM and almost all defensive metrics, also much better FT shooter. is that why Mitchell is top 10 and Carter was 2nd round?

man...I can't wait for us to spend a top 6 pick on a 6-foot 23-year-old PG who shoots 60% from the FT line. lmao.


I'm not defending him, I have no idea who either of these players are, I'm just saying you're bringing up their stats without even understanding them. 62 to 54 is an astronomical difference - and why are you bringing up FT shooting when ignoring TS?

Your argument makes no sense :crazy:


b/c FT% is one of the best indicators of shooting at the next level, there's a reason Tankathon projects Carter as having a better 3pt% in the NBA than Mitchell.

as for your point, you think TS% is the reason Mitchell is top10 to you and Carter was a 2nd rounder? Because that was the original premise, if you disagree with that why are you even arguing?


lol you know what's a better indicator of shooting at the next level? TS%

I'm arguing because, as always, your argument makes no god damned sense. why are you comparing statistical profiles of two players suggesting there's no difference when one is on a different planet efficiency wise? :banghead:
Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,336
And1: 244
Joined: Jan 28, 2014

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#662 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:12 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Sam Lowry Jr wrote:
TB wrote:It's gonna be ugly on these boards when we drop to 7 and Bob takes Kispert in search of a win now prospect.



UCLA Bob will take Johnny Juzang based on the Bruin's connection (see Looney also) and to bolster the Vietnamese American South Bay fan base.

All kidding aside, if the Warriors managed to get the 6th pick from the Wolves, I think Davion Mitchell is a great fit here. Older rookie, plays D, shoots well, plays a team game. He might not be as glamorous or have a high ceiling as the top 5, but he's ready to contribute in a role we desperately need to fill (no offense to Jordan Poole). Marcus Smart with a better shot isn't a bad ceiling.


lmao yes, let's draft a backup PG with the 6th overall pick. brilliant.


Is anyone drafted from 6 and on going to be an immediate starter on this team next year? I think the problem the Warriors had with Wiseman this year stems from their attempt to have their cake and eat it too: develop Wiseman with heavy minutes and remain competitive. It's hard to do it with one player -- granted a center -- let alone two.

Mitchell is a player that can contribute immediately, fills a need, and could move into the starting lineup down the road. Of course you're not going to draft him over the top 5 if one of those guys are available. I would sacrifice some losses for a Kuminga or Jalen Green's development.

But would you do it for, say a Scottie Barnes who might not hit his stride (gifted playmaker who might never develop his shot and be just a role player himself) until after the big three decline? Analysis isn't easy as it appears...
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 48,598
And1: 55,519
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#663 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:17 pm

Jester_ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
I'm not defending him, I have no idea who either of these players are, I'm just saying you're bringing up their stats without even understanding them. 62 to 54 is an astronomical difference - and why are you bringing up FT shooting when ignoring TS?

Your argument makes no sense :crazy:


b/c FT% is one of the best indicators of shooting at the next level, there's a reason Tankathon projects Carter as having a better 3pt% in the NBA than Mitchell.

as for your point, you think TS% is the reason Mitchell is top10 to you and Carter was a 2nd rounder? Because that was the original premise, if you disagree with that why are you even arguing?


lol you know what's a better indicator of shooting at the next level? TS%

I'm arguing because, as always, your argument makes no god damned sense. why are you comparing statistical profiles of two players suggesting there's no difference when one is on a different planet efficiency wise? :banghead:


TS% is NOT a great indicator of shooting, it doesn't take into account the offenses, types of shots, are the lanes open around the basket to allow for easier finishing, etc, if Mitchell's hitting bunnies all day because he's playing with Butler and Teague who are also shooting lights out and the lanes are open for him while Carter wasn't, it's gonna affect TS%

and I didn't say there was no difference, I said based on their overall prospect profiles, WHY is Mitchell seen as a top10 pick and Carter was not...is your answer TS%?
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 48,598
And1: 55,519
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#664 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:19 pm

Sam Lowry Jr wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Sam Lowry Jr wrote:

UCLA Bob will take Johnny Juzang based on the Bruin's connection (see Looney also) and to bolster the Vietnamese American South Bay fan base.

All kidding aside, if the Warriors managed to get the 6th pick from the Wolves, I think Davion Mitchell is a great fit here. Older rookie, plays D, shoots well, plays a team game. He might not be as glamorous or have a high ceiling as the top 5, but he's ready to contribute in a role we desperately need to fill (no offense to Jordan Poole). Marcus Smart with a better shot isn't a bad ceiling.


lmao yes, let's draft a backup PG with the 6th overall pick. brilliant.


Is anyone drafted from 6 and on going to be an immediate starter on this team next year? I think the problem the Warriors had with Wiseman this year stems from their attempt to have their cake and eat it too: develop Wiseman with heavy minutes and remain competitive. It's hard to do it with one player -- granted a center -- let alone two.

Mitchell is a player that can contribute immediately, fills a need, and could move into the starting lineup down the road. Of course you're not going to draft him over the top 5 if one of those guys are available. I would sacrifice some losses for a Kuminga or Jalen Green's development.

But would you do it for, say a Scottie Barnes who might not hit his stride (gifted playmaker who might never develop his shot and be just a role player himself) until after the big three decline? Analysis isn't easy as it appears...


no, almost no one we pick 6th will be a starter for us, that's not my point, I'm not looking for a starter day one obviously, but Mitchell as a prospect projects as a bench player in the NBA, whether it's day 1 or day 1000. with the 6th pick I'd hope we'd aim for something higher, like Springer, even tho he might not be as good as Mitchell day 1. you can get guys that can contribute more immediately (again, like a Butler, or McBride) later in the class.
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
User avatar
Onus
General Manager
Posts: 9,657
And1: 1,791
Joined: May 12, 2008
Location: NOA

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#665 » by Onus » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:04 am

Suggs is great in transition, but he doesn't look nearly as deadly in traffic. I don't see him being able to get through tight spaces and his shot is average. He's got great explosion in the open court and in space though maybe his explosion eventually translates in tight spaces. I just didn't see a lot in the half court from him. I admit I'm probably lower on him than most but he's in my tier 2 behind Mobley, Cade, Green.

Maybe I like Mitchell too much but he's in my tier 2 as well. 6'2'' was able to guard Cade and give him trouble. Good shooter. Good isolation scorer. Can pass and make plays. Has elite quickness and first step can get by anyone with it. I look at how Mitchell scores and he scores in the half court, in isolation, off pick and roll, attacks mismatches, gets great separation for his jumper, blows by defenders and I just see the way he scores to translate better.

I look at how Suggs scores a lot of it is in transition, he's got a nice floater, has a decent step back but mostly after someone goes under the screen not as often in isolation, if he can get downhill he's a handful but without that head start he's much easier to contain. It all starts will him getting down hill and that running start that's where his explosion comes from whereas mitchell can blow by you from a standstill.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
User avatar
Onus
General Manager
Posts: 9,657
And1: 1,791
Joined: May 12, 2008
Location: NOA

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#666 » by Onus » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:14 am

clyde21 wrote:
Sam Lowry Jr wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
lmao yes, let's draft a backup PG with the 6th overall pick. brilliant.


Is anyone drafted from 6 and on going to be an immediate starter on this team next year? I think the problem the Warriors had with Wiseman this year stems from their attempt to have their cake and eat it too: develop Wiseman with heavy minutes and remain competitive. It's hard to do it with one player -- granted a center -- let alone two.

Mitchell is a player that can contribute immediately, fills a need, and could move into the starting lineup down the road. Of course you're not going to draft him over the top 5 if one of those guys are available. I would sacrifice some losses for a Kuminga or Jalen Green's development.

But would you do it for, say a Scottie Barnes who might not hit his stride (gifted playmaker who might never develop his shot and be just a role player himself) until after the big three decline? Analysis isn't easy as it appears...


no, almost no one we pick 6th will be a starter for us, that's not my point, I'm not looking for a starter day one obviously, but Mitchell as a prospect projects as a bench player in the NBA, whether it's day 1 or day 1000. with the 6th pick I'd hope we'd aim for something higher, like Springer, even tho he might not be as good as Mitchell day 1. you can get guys that can contribute more immediately (again, like a Butler, or McBride) later in the class.


I know Mitchell is someone you can close a game with. Someone that can shut down perimeter players by being physical at the point of attack and can beat anyone to a spot with his quickness, all the while being able to get his own shot, have some playmaking, and has an elite first step. You see him constantly leaving people in his dust and creating incredible separation on his jumper with side steps and step backs.

The worry with him is whether or not his shot is for real because he wasn't a good shooter until his junior year. But if his shot is for real, it'll be really hard to sit him. Someone that plays incredible defense, can shoot and create their own shot is a valuable player.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,336
And1: 244
Joined: Jan 28, 2014

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#667 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:57 am

We’re inching closer to Davion Mitchell aren’t we?
Old_Blue
Senior
Posts: 594
And1: 150
Joined: Jul 02, 2019
         

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#668 » by Old_Blue » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:11 am

Sam Lowry Jr wrote:We’re inching closer to Davion Mitchell aren’t we?


If we're talking Baylor guards, I'd be tempted to select Butler over Davion. Butler's also more likely to be available at #14 or #15.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 48,598
And1: 55,519
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#669 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:11 pm

well, the 6th and 7th pick are now a legitimate outcome for the Minny pick, which is pretty devastating, there's a drop off after the top 5 in talent, and the 6th/7th pick will actually require Myers to do some thinking instead of the just taking the BPA at 4/5 of the top 5.

tbh, if we get 6th or 7th, I have very, very little faith that Myers can make that right choice there, and that's true for #13 as well.

and LOL if he takes Mitchell 6th or 7th overall. would be such a Myers thing to do actually. :lol:
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
TB
Head Coach
Posts: 7,185
And1: 311
Joined: Mar 11, 2007

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#670 » by TB » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:well, the 6th and 7th pick are now a legitimate outcome for the Minny pick, which is pretty devastating, there's a drop off after the top 5 in talent, and the 6th/7th pick will actually require Myers to do some thinking instead of the just taking the BPA at 4/5 of the top 5.

tbh, if we get 6th or 7th, I have very, very little faith that Myers can make that right choice there, and that's true for #13 as well.

and LOL if he takes Mitchell 6th or 7th overall. would be such a Myers thing to do actually. :lol:


Prepare yourself for Kispert and Mitchell. Gotta lock in our future 6th and 7th men with our two lotto picks.
vagelis
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,410
And1: 500
Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#671 » by vagelis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:32 pm

TB
Head Coach
Posts: 7,185
And1: 311
Joined: Mar 11, 2007

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#672 » by TB » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:07 pm

I would trade the minny pick and Fitz/Azu for the NBL announcing crew. They are spectacular in every game or highlight clip ive seen.
User avatar
and1GS
RealGM
Posts: 23,437
And1: 1,636
Joined: Nov 12, 2008
Location: home of 3x champs + supporter of all-time weakest moves
   

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#673 » by and1GS » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:36 pm

Do people actually not like Azu? Listened to a pod and they bashed him for a minute or so. I think he's been pretty good.
Topher wrote:Do I seem mad? I’m about to make love to my wife so I deff ain’t mad.

Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 48,598
And1: 55,519
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#674 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 pm

i like Giddey, possible he can replicate some of what Liv used to bring us off bench, good size/length, can pass and run some offense, decent mid-range game...defensively not sure yet if he can be as good as Liv but the potential is there...this is a Warriors type of player historically (earth 2 Myers)

i can get behind a Giddey pick at 13 depending on what happens with the Minny first, or if we trade down a little bit (i.e. our 13 for Houston's 2 later firsts) depending on who's available.
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
TB
Head Coach
Posts: 7,185
And1: 311
Joined: Mar 11, 2007

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#675 » by TB » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:03 pm

and1GS wrote:Do people actually not like Azu? Listened to a pod and they bashed him for a minute or so. I think he's been pretty good.


He's gotten so much better. Fitz is still annoying at times, but when you watch other teams crews, we still have one of the better ones IMO.

That Aussie crew is amazing though 8-)
User avatar
WESCO
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,685
And1: 541
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Face Palm

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#676 » by WESCO » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:54 pm

TB wrote:
and1GS wrote:Do people actually not like Azu? Listened to a pod and they bashed him for a minute or so. I think he's been pretty good.


He's gotten so much better. Fitz is still annoying at times, but when you watch other teams crews, we still have one of the better ones IMO.

That Aussie crew is amazing though 8-)


I can't agree. We for sure have one the worst duos IMO. Ive even seen that sentiment repeated on the GB game thread when we have NBATV games.

Whenever I travel I love that youtubeTV gave me the option to watch the non local streams. Really the only crew that is worst than ours that comes to mind immediately is Bostons.

Also really bad though is Richard Jefferson. Yuk
User avatar
whatisacenter
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,817
And1: 4,845
Joined: Aug 05, 2013
 

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#677 » by whatisacenter » Sat May 1, 2021 2:29 am

vagelis wrote:

I hadn't seen this more recent footage of him and he looks quite a bit stronger than his earlier tape. The guy is still only 18yo and should get even stronger and quicker combined with his feel for the game he wouldn't be a bad choice in the middle of the first round. Can't question his toughness after he brushed off that nasty faceplant!
User avatar
Quazza
Head Coach
Posts: 6,476
And1: 1,452
Joined: Jul 04, 2008
 

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#678 » by Quazza » Sat May 1, 2021 2:49 am

vagelis wrote:


Plays for my home town team so I've seen him a lot. Kid can really play. Lack of athleticism hurts a little , but he's really smart

Broke Lamelos record for youngest ever player to register a triple double
KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
User avatar
Quazza
Head Coach
Posts: 6,476
And1: 1,452
Joined: Jul 04, 2008
 

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#679 » by Quazza » Sat May 1, 2021 11:53 am

Aanddddd another Triple Double for Giddey
KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
User avatar
GSWFan1994
Junior
Posts: 417
And1: 359
Joined: Oct 31, 2006
 

Re: Wolves season watch thread for the 2021 pick 

Post#680 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat May 1, 2021 3:43 pm

Regardless if we get pick 4, 5, 6, 7, etc, we will still get a nice, solid piece for our current & future core.

Plus, even if the top 5 picks are somewhat set in stone, stranger things have happened in NBA's history... if we do our homework right, we could get an awesome player, or even 2, including our own pick.

I'm excited for the draft lottery & draft night, as always.

Return to Golden State Warriors