ImageImageImageImageImage

All this talk about Steph being "exposed"

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 40,314
And1: 9,278
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#21 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:25 pm

New Orleans barely made the Playoffs with AD and they had Holiday. Totally flawed thinking
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Money_
Pro Prospect
Posts: 773
And1: 148
Joined: Dec 02, 2014
 

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#22 » by Money_ » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:26 pm

Physically, Steph is not going to take over a game the way Jordan or even Lebron can do. He just doesn't have the physical stature to do so. He can get to the rim, and he can dribble drive and fake most defenders out, and he can SHOOT. But once they start throwing double teams at him at mid court, there's not much he can do but give the ball up.
Jordan had Pippen. Bron had Kyrie. kobe had Shaq etc etc.
He needs at least one reliable threat to get just a little bit of space and he's good.

The leaders and coaches on this team have their work cut out for them. Now's the time to earn that paycheck.
It's not going to come overnight, so our expectations should be low as of now...
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 52,107
And1: 14,185
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
     

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#23 » by FNQ » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:28 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
Put another way, if you put Steph on the Wolves, would they get into the Playoffs?
Because if you put LeBron, Durant, AD, Harden...the answer is very likely yes.


You can say that it's likely, I say it's unlikely. You can't just assume such things and use it to "prove" one player is better than another.


:lol: right? In fact 3 of those guys have been on bad teams before while they were good..

Frankly of the 4 names listed, one really doesnt belong with the other 3. LeBron/KD/AD are generational talents, unquestionably IMO. Harden, Curry, and a slew of other stars simply aren't the 2 way excellent players that they are. If Steph not being on that level is 'exposed' then it kinda goes to show how pisspoor these kids are at evaluating players to begin with. And I assume theyre kids because who really gives any kind of **** about ranking NBA players? No one is reading your blog
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 40,314
And1: 9,278
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#24 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:33 pm

And by the way in the Chicago game, Steph did take it up vet by getting to the free throw line and then found his shot. He controlled the pace and then finished it off.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
HiRez
General Manager
Posts: 9,746
And1: 2,121
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#25 » by HiRez » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:37 pm

He's not "exposed" but let's be real, we've all watched Curry play for a decade and I think if we're being honest we have to admit right now he's not playing up to his own standards despite what the numbers are. As I said in a game thread the other night, he's putting up numbers but hasn't been an impact player so far. Being an unstoppable offensive force what we expect from him.

Yes, his teammates have sucked beyond reason and that's not helping, but the greatest players rise above that and take over anyway, and we haven't yet seen that from Steph this year except for a few brief glimmers. Prime Steph would shake off double teams and still hit shots from everywhere on the court. Expecting it will happen sooner or later, if he starts shooting his usual ~40% from 3 things will suddenly look a lot different.

That said, I sure wish we had a Haliburton or Vassell or someone right now who could simply knock down shots. Wiseman is going to be good but he's too raw right now to have useful synergy with Steph's game. Steph hasn't been great but Oubre in particular has been straight trash, he's worse than useless, he's a net negative on the court.
Little Digger
Head Coach
Posts: 6,837
And1: 2,702
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
 

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#26 » by Little Digger » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:38 pm

5 fffing games
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
xdrta+
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,287
And1: 2,963
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#27 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:42 pm

Steph could take over and make shots from all over the court, but he can't score 120 points by himself. Other players get open shots because of Steph, but if they don't make them what's he supposed to do? This idea that he can just "take over" and win makes no sense.
Samurai
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,102
And1: 1,914
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
     

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#28 » by Samurai » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:52 pm

As currently structured, it will be extremely difficult for Steph to take over games as he had earlier in his career (i.e. when he had Klay next to him). Portland used variations of the "box-and-one" defense that Toronto used in the finals once Klay went down. And as long as we have guys like Oubre, Dray, Looney, etc., teams will continue to use this and similar variations of it. If being 'exposed' means being identified as the only person on the team that the other team fears from the 3-point line, then yes he has been exposed (identified) as the sole outside shooting threat and will be treated as such. And I am doubtful that his teammates have the skillset to force teams to change their approach and will keep focusing on bottling up Curry and dare our non-shooters to beat them.
HiRez
General Manager
Posts: 9,746
And1: 2,121
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#29 » by HiRez » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:09 pm

Ah well, better for the franchise if we end this year with another bottom 5 record anyway. Some of these players will probably suck less and Draymond will help more over time, but I don't see us going far this year regardless of what Steph does.
ahmetmekin
Junior
Posts: 383
And1: 216
Joined: Apr 21, 2018
 

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#30 » by ahmetmekin » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:10 pm

About the box and one stuff, Ethan Strauss wrote a good piece in Athletic.
This is from there:

https://pasteboard.co/JHYs69m.png
There are other images and videos there. It is ridiculous. I cannot understand how they cannot find a counter offense for this type of defense.
sonnyhill
Freshman
Posts: 63
And1: 15
Joined: Oct 28, 2020

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#31 » by sonnyhill » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:14 pm

FNQ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
Put another way, if you put Steph on the Wolves, would they get into the Playoffs?
Because if you put LeBron, Durant, AD, Harden...the answer is very likely yes.


You can say that it's likely, I say it's unlikely. You can't just assume such things and use it to "prove" one player is better than another.


:lol: right? In fact 3 of those guys have been on bad teams before while they were good..

Frankly of the 4 names listed, one really doesnt belong with the other 3. LeBron/KD/AD are generational talents, unquestionably IMO. Harden, Curry, and a slew of other stars simply aren't the 2 way excellent players that they are. If Steph not being on that level is 'exposed' then it kinda goes to show how pisspoor these kids are at evaluating players to begin with. And I assume theyre kids because who really gives any kind of **** about ranking NBA players? No one is reading your blog


Steph's offense this season has been somewhat disappointing (especially 3-point shooting and being outplayed by Lillard on Friday evening); yet, much of what we are seeing is a reflection of a disjointed half-court offense, which should/may improve as players begin to better understand Kerr's offense and become more comfortable in their roles.

Overlooked, however, is how Steph's on-ball defense looks good-great (when, in past seasons other teams would look to isolate Steph as the weak-link in the Warrior defense).
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 40,314
And1: 9,278
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#32 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:23 pm

If most of the shots Steph took and missed, were makes, would this even be a discussion?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 12,085
And1: 4,529
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#33 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:26 pm

Mylie10 wrote:If most of the shots Steph took and missed, were makes, would this even be a discussion?



He's not getting enough good looks and the few good shots he gets, he's not putting them away like he usually does.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 45,659
And1: 50,774
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#34 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:30 pm

Money_ wrote:Physically, Steph is not going to take over a game the way Jordan or even Lebron can do. He just doesn't have the physical stature to do so. He can get to the rim, and he can dribble drive and fake most defenders out, and he can SHOOT. But once they start throwing double teams at him at mid court, there's not much he can do but give the ball up.
Jordan had Pippen. Bron had Kyrie. kobe had Shaq etc etc.
He needs at least one reliable threat to get just a little bit of space and he's good.

The leaders and coaches on this team have their work cut out for them. Now's the time to earn that paycheck.
It's not going to come overnight, so our expectations should be low as of now...


January 3rd revelation

Steph is not a top 2 player of all time
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 40,314
And1: 9,278
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#35 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:30 pm

wco81 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:If most of the shots Steph took and missed, were makes, would this even be a discussion?



He's not getting enough good looks and the few good shots he gets, he's not putting them away like he usually does.


Ok, agreed. But missing shots early in a season isn’t an indication that somehow he’s lost it.

Remember when Klay would have a months long shooting slump? It’s happened to Curry as well in the past, but not the the kind of level Klay had. I remember all of the same kinds of crummy posting we had back them where people over reacted and wanted to trade Klay.

It’s basketball....it’s a streaky game for everyone who plays it. I have no doubt Steph will shoot towards his mean when the season is done. And even if it’s slightly lower due to this slow start, it will still be better than most.

Al shooters......all shooters have periods where they miss those gimme shots
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
sonnyhill
Freshman
Posts: 63
And1: 15
Joined: Oct 28, 2020

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#36 » by sonnyhill » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Money_ wrote:Physically, Steph is not going to take over a game the way Jordan or even Lebron can do. He just doesn't have the physical stature to do so. He can get to the rim, and he can dribble drive and fake most defenders out, and he can SHOOT. But once they start throwing double teams at him at mid court, there's not much he can do but give the ball up.
Jordan had Pippen. Bron had Kyrie. kobe had Shaq etc etc.
He needs at least one reliable threat to get just a little bit of space and he's good.

The leaders and coaches on this team have their work cut out for them. Now's the time to earn that paycheck.
It's not going to come overnight, so our expectations should be low as of now...


January 3rd revelation

Steph is not a top 2 player of all time


Clyde21, nobody (even the most delusional Warrior Kool-Aid drinker) has ever stated nor believes that Steph is "a top 2 player of all time."

Steph, however, did revolutionize/change the game to appreciate-and-emphasize the 3-point shot.

Also, up to this season, everyone acknowledges that the Warriors have had to "hide" Steph as a defensive liability (easier to do when Klay was healthy) and have Steph matched up on the opposing team's weaker backcourt guard.
gst8
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,401
And1: 3,200
Joined: Dec 23, 2003

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#37 » by gst8 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:49 pm

I can’t imagine what motivates a few of those guys to create accounts specifically to take shots at Curry and subsequently the Warriors. I don’t even talk about things I enjoy that much. I get that the Warriors have earned some animosity but the singular focus of some of those posters is impressive.

Regarding Curry... guys like Lillard have spent their entire career just being *the guy* to middling success. Curry has spent his figuring out how to play within a team context and win championships. I think he’ll have to embrace more of a Lillard approach as the season goes by if the rest of the team doesn’t pick it up which will by default lead to more box score dominant performances but losing and making everything about him still an unfamiliar concept to Steph.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 45,659
And1: 50,774
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#38 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:53 pm

wco81 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:If most of the shots Steph took and missed, were makes, would this even be a discussion?



He's not getting enough good looks and the few good shots he gets, he's not putting them away like he usually does.


he's actually getting a lot of decent looks, he's 3 ball is just not there, that part of Steph's game is clearly struggling right now because you can tell by the way he's missing it's bad, too strong, too weak...but everything else is there, which he needs to recognize and start using more to set up his 3 ball instead of the other way around which was always the usual for Steph

he's averaging 7 assists per game right now...what would that even look like if Wiggy and Oubre weren't shooting a whopping 37% and 27% from the field respectively? Steph would easily be averaging a 27 point double-double right now.
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
Little Digger
Head Coach
Posts: 6,837
And1: 2,702
Joined: Aug 01, 2010
 

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#39 » by Little Digger » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21



2 were Warriors ...Steph and Wilt..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
HiRez
General Manager
Posts: 9,746
And1: 2,121
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: All this talk about Steph being "exposed" 

Post#40 » by HiRez » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:28 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:About the box and one stuff, Ethan Strauss wrote a good piece in Athletic.
This is from there:

https://pasteboard.co/JHYs69m.png
There are other images and videos there. It is ridiculous. I cannot understand how they cannot find a counter offense for this type of defense.

I snapped a similar one during the Milwaukee game.

Image

Return to Golden State Warriors