Trade Oubre PRONTO.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Re: Trade Oubre PRONTO. 

Post#201 » by killmongrel » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:09 am

tarantism wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:I like the idea if Sacramento begins to tank trading Oubre+Looney+Poole+2nd rounder for Barnes and freeing Sacramento of the cap space.

Barnes knows the system and can help cover minutes 2-4. Him averaging 17ppg and 7rpg on 40% from 3p would be a huge boost towards and in the playoffs. He already knows how to play the 3 and 4 in our system.

Next year Barnes would be a good insurance policy for positions 2-4 and help unlock the new death lineup. Unlike this years collective 3 point issue I think if you add Klay and Barnes to Steph, Mulder, Lee, and Wiseman next year we could reclaim our spot as the best shooting team in the NBA.
If we move Looney then we absolutely need to get a center in the deal or have a replacement ready to go. Looney sucks but at least he can eat minutes without making boneheaded mistakes - he's just athletically compromised and offensively putrid. But without him we are down to only Wiseman as an actual center.

Sent from my LM-X220PM using RealGM mobile app
By the trade deadline, shouldn't Chriss be healthy by then or is he out for the year?
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#202 » by tarantism » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:19 am

killmongrel wrote:
tarantism wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:I like the idea if Sacramento begins to tank trading Oubre+Looney+Poole+2nd rounder for Barnes and freeing Sacramento of the cap space.

Barnes knows the system and can help cover minutes 2-4. Him averaging 17ppg and 7rpg on 40% from 3p would be a huge boost towards and in the playoffs. He already knows how to play the 3 and 4 in our system.

Next year Barnes would be a good insurance policy for positions 2-4 and help unlock the new death lineup. Unlike this years collective 3 point issue I think if you add Klay and Barnes to Steph, Mulder, Lee, and Wiseman next year we could reclaim our spot as the best shooting team in the NBA.
If we move Looney then we absolutely need to get a center in the deal or have a replacement ready to go. Looney sucks but at least he can eat minutes without making boneheaded mistakes - he's just athletically compromised and offensively putrid. But without him we are down to only Wiseman as an actual center.

By the trade deadline, shouldn't Chriss be healthy by then or is he out for the year?

I was under the impression that he is out for the season. Smiley might be back, but I think I might be the only one left on that island. Well, me and Kirk.

Edit: just double checked. He has a broken leg, declared out for the season. I was pretty sure that was the case.
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#203 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:24 am

tarantism wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
tarantism wrote:If we move Looney then we absolutely need to get a center in the deal or have a replacement ready to go. Looney sucks but at least he can eat minutes without making boneheaded mistakes - he's just athletically compromised and offensively putrid. But without him we are down to only Wiseman as an actual center.

I was under the impression that he is out for the season. Smiley might be back, but I think I might be the only one left on that island.

Edit: just double checked. He has a broken leg, declared out for the season. I was pretty sure that was the case.

We got options.

Free Agents - Dedmon, O’Quinn, Mahinmi
DPE - Tucker, Felicio, Holmes, Davis, Noel, McGee, Birch, Cousins, Whiteside, Gibson, Muscala
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#204 » by FNQ » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:45 am

So we're not going to use these picks to get elite players, we're going to use expirings to get Barnes? Would be super underwhelming as a fan if this was our end game
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#205 » by killmongrel » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:54 am

FNQ wrote:

So we're not going to use these picks to get elite players, we're going to use expirings to get Barnes? Would be super underwhelming as a fan if this was our end game
I don't have a problem with using second round picks to get somebody like Barnes while getting rid of expirings/contracts that are unlikely to be here next season. Just for this topic's sake, we get to save those important assets for a bigger deal while preserving a salary slot with Barnes. At least Barnes helps us compete this year while being available for a bigger trade in the summer.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant

Post#206 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:09 am

FNQ wrote:

What elite players are you going to get with 2nd rounders? What elite player can we financially feasibly get even if teams wanted 2nd rounders for elite players (all-stars) without trading Curry, Thompson, Green, or Wiggins?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#207 » by FNQ » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:13 am

DAWill1128 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

What elite players are you going to get with 2nd rounders? What elite player can we financially feasibly get even if teams wanted 2nd rounders for elite players (all-stars) without trading Curry, Thompson, Green, or Wiggins?

You're using all the salary ballast. Why would my problem be with the 2nds?
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant

Post#208 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:44 am

FNQ wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

What alternative route are you getting at? For Oubre + salary fillers (Looney,Poole,Smiley) and 2nd round picks I think Barnes is near the top of what we could get.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#209 » by sonnyhill » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:56 pm

Fascinating thread.

Oubre is both frustrating, yet, also pretty intriguing: Oubre's offensive game in the half-court set, especially when he is on the perimeter, hurts the team; Oubre's defense, transition game, finishing around the basket, are all positives.

Board brothers and sisters, is it feasible to see Oubre play the "stretch 4" position as a more athletic, quicker, longer, and (dare I say) better offensive player than Draymond (hard for me to ask this question, as Draymond has been my personal favorite Warrior to watch play)?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by FNQ » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:41 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:
FNQ wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:

What alternative route are you getting at? For Oubre + salary fillers (Looney,Poole,Smiley) and 2nd round picks I think Barnes is near the top of what we could get.

I'm not talking about your result. I'm saying you're using all the salary ballast on an inconsequential trade.

In the offseason, Oubre (assuming he's turned into a 2 year deal via trade), Looney, and Poole would basically equal 22m in expiring salaries. If a trade for someone actually good becomes available, we'd then have 22m in expirings, James Wiseman (9m), the MIN 1st, and our own 1st as the groundwork for acquiring a superstar.

If we took those assets and pissed them away for Barnes because it only cost a 2nd, then we'd either have to use Barnes (negative value) or Wiggins (negative value) as salary ballast for a superstar trade, and I guarantee it would cost more than a 2nd to make up that difference
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#211 » by tarantism » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:09 pm

sonnyhill wrote:Fascinating thread.

Oubre is both frustrating, yet, also pretty intriguing: Oubre's offensive game in the half-court set, especially when he is on the perimeter, hurts the team; Oubre's defense, transition game, finishing around the basket, are all positives.

Board brothers and sisters, is it feasible to see Oubre play the "stretch 4" position as a more athletic, quicker, longer, and (dare I say) better offensive player than Draymond (hard for me to ask this question, as Draymond has been my personal favorite Warrior to watch play)?
Definitely not. Firstly, Oubre isn't a "stretch" anything. Teams leave him wide open for a reason. Its nice that he's hit a few lately but he's still a liability out there until proven otherwise.

Also this absolutely would kill our ball movement and defense. Draymond can defend bigger fours and some fives extremely well, Oubre is best against guards and smaller wings. Draymond plays a pivotal role as our secondary playmaker, Oubre is a black hole.

While the idea would potentially allow us to get another shooter on the floor it would kill us on both sides of the ball.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#212 » by sonnyhill » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:56 pm

tarantism wrote:

Definitely not. Firstly, Oubre isn't a "stretch" anything. Teams leave him wide open for a reason. Its nice that he's hit a few lately but he's still a liability out there until proven otherwise.

Also this absolutely would kill our ball movement and defense. Draymond can defend bigger fours and some fives extremely well, Oubre is best against guards and smaller wings. Draymond plays a pivotal role as our secondary playmaker, Oubre is a black hole.

While the idea would potentially allow us to get another shooter on the floor it would kill us on both sides of the ball.

Your analysis makes lots of sense and leads me to ask the following:

1. What was the reasoning behind trading for Oubre?

2. Did, Bob Myers react out of fear (with Klay's injury) and make a poor decision?

3. Should Myers have waited until the season had started to potentially pick up a better shooter?

I, personally, like Oubre's motor, but am having a difficult time seeing how he fits into the lineup.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,897

Post#213 » by Samurai » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:08 pm

Interesting stat from The Athletic: Per 36 minutes, with Oubre on the floor, Curry is averaging 26.5 points on 59.4% true shooting percentage. And worse, the Warriors are a terrible -7.2 in those minutes. Per 36 minutes, with Damion Lee on the floor, Curry is averaging 37 points on a 64.9% true shooting percentage. And more importantly, the Dubs are a dominant +11.4 in those minutes.

For a guy that allegedly said he appreciates analytics, I must conclude that Kerr is either a) a liar and doesn't believe in or understand analytics despite his past statements to the contrary or b) is incredibly dumb. Neither trait is a particularly desirable one for a head coach and makes it highly unlikely that he will have success coaching Oubre.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,260

Post#214 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Samurai wrote:Interesting stat from The Athletic: Per 36 minutes, with Oubre on the floor, Curry is averaging 26.5 points on 59.4% true shooting percentage. And worse, the Warriors are a terrible -7.2 in those minutes. Per 36 minutes, with Damion Lee on the floor, Curry is averaging 37 points on a 64.9% true shooting percentage. And more importantly, the Dubs are a dominant +11.4 in those minutes.

For a guy that allegedly said he appreciates analytics, I must conclude that Kerr is either a) a liar and doesn't believe in or understand analytics despite his past statements to the contrary or b) is incredibly dumb. Neither trait is a particularly desirable one for a head coach and makes it highly unlikely that he will have success coaching Oubre.

Yeah, liar or dumb, those must be the only two possibilities, because 12 games always gives a final answer. It couldn't be that he's trying to make things work that could be the best outcome, and hasn't given up on it yet.
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#215 » by tarantism » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:30 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Samurai wrote:Interesting stat from The Athletic: Per 36 minutes, with Oubre on the floor, Curry is averaging 26.5 points on 59.4% true shooting percentage. And worse, the Warriors are a terrible -7.2 in those minutes. Per 36 minutes, with Damion Lee on the floor, Curry is averaging 37 points on a 64.9% true shooting percentage. And more importantly, the Dubs are a dominant +11.4 in those minutes.

Yeah, liar or dumb, those must be the only two possibilities, because 12 games always gives a final answer. It couldn't be that he's trying to make things work that could be the best outcome, and hasn't given up on it yet.
Or that's he's under some direction to give the 80m dollar man every single chance to succeed.

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,260

Post#216 » by xdrta+ » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:37 pm

tarantism wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Or that's he's under some direction to give the 80m dollar man every single chance to succeed.

Ok, so which would that be, liar or dumb?
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#217 » by Little Digger » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#218 » by Coxy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:21 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
tarantism wrote:

Your analysis makes lots of sense and leads me to ask the following:

2. Did, Bob Myers react out of fear (with Klay's injury) and make a poor decision?

3. Should Myers have waited until the season had started to potentially pick up a better shooter?

I, personally, like Oubre's motor, but am having a difficult time seeing how he fits into the lineup.

The Klay injury forced Bob into a corner, with no above average wing and 5th starter on the team (Or so he thought). The management obviously liked what Oubre brought for a wing spot, and may have seen a little 'Iguodala' in him.

I don't know if he made a decision out of fear, he doesn't seem like the type. There would have been genuine reasons for targeting Oubre and how he could fit this season, and beyond, because he gave a 1st for him as well (FML).

Yes. We should have done nothing actually, because between Lee and Mulder, we had 2 guys ready to slot in and help the team and prove they were worthy of the role this season. If they weren't working out, then we could have waited until an opportunity arose that we could send out some smaller assets to fill needs. Hindsight though.

I love Oubre's motor as well, it's his number 1 asset, because it gives him the grit between the teeth to play really committed, fiesty defence. The 1 thing that the front office whiffed on, that really none of the fans around these parts harped on either, was how terrible is basketball IQ was. It's a HUGE miss from Bob, perhaps his worst decision I can remember from him. It's astonishing how poor he reads the game, to the point where I wonder if he's ever even been coached, ever. The fast paced, motion style basketball game is just too much for his natural instincts to understand. I think it's non-salvageable as a starter in this team, but he may still have some use as a bench player.

The silver lining to Kelly Oubre playing so unbeleivably bad, is he may be playing his way out of any sort of contract offer in the offseason. Steve Kerr and the teams managements commitment to contunually stick with him through his struggles here, could result in us retaining Oubre on the cheap in the offseason, as a bench impact defender backup 4 type, next to the Paschall undersized small ball quick C. On paper to me, that could work, with 3 shooters around them.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,897

Post#219 » by Samurai » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:37 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
tarantism wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Ok, so which would that be, liar or dumb?

Definitely dumb!
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#220 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:44 pm

Since game two, I’ve advocated for Oubre to come off the bench and add energy from there. On the bench he would be a hybrid forward who essentially plays the front line with Paschall.

Wanamaker
Mulder
Lee
Oubre
Paschall

That puts Oubre in a position to be guarding bigger players and using his length and quickness to bother them. On offense he has four other guys who can shoot it. So his shooting impact would be minimized there.

And again or the 1000th time......if Klay were playing, Oubre would already be on that bench.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors