ImageImageImageImageImage

There are only 7 Super Stars in the league. The Warriors have one of them.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

the_dinks
Sophomore
And1: 154

Re: There are only 7 Super Stars in the league. The Warriors have one of them. 

Post#21 » by the_dinks » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:52 am

xdrta+ wrote:I think you're way overestimating, if not the Warrior chances, at least the way the league looks at the Warrior chances of getting back in contention. Stars looking to get a ring want their best shots at it. There are just too many teams with a better shot at it than the Warriors.

I dunno, I think the Warriors have some significant upsides here: Wiseman + Minny FRP (or whatever that becomes), salary matching, the reputation of a good culture (even though I think it's probably overrated), a great location, and Steph **** Curry. Who wouldn't want to play with him? Any forward or big, especially those that don't need the ball in their hands, has to look at Steph as a bonus. He's already proven that he'll make room for you.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#22 » by WarriorGM » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:35 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:This is the thing that doesn't make any sense to me. The Warriors should be the team that all stars that just want to win should be demanding a trade to. They have a winning culture, good ownership, unselfish stars, good trade assets to make it work, and a culture that has proven that it is only one other star away from dominating the rest of the league. However, you haven't seen any of the star players come out and demand a trade here yet. All Beal has to do is say the magic words and he will be here by the trade deadline. Could it be that the team isn't as big of a free agent destination as we are hoping it is?

xdrta+ wrote:I think you're way overestimating, if not the Warrior chances, at least the way the league looks at the Warrior chances of getting back in contention. Stars looking to get a ring want their best shots at it. There are just too many teams with a better shot at it than the Warriors.

Simple question to both of you: Is Stephen Curry the best player in the NBA? If your answer is no then my question is why not?

The objective evidence I would argue absolutely screams that he is. Now if other teams and their followers don't agree, that is understandable. But it is unacceptable if his own organization doesn't seem to believe it or to make moves that back such a belief.

The Clippers bent over backwards for Kawhi, Curry should be able to expect nothing less even if he isn't demanding it. But there are people here already presuming tanking is the best option because they don't seem to believe Curry can accomplish anything with the current team. This is absolutely dumb thinking.

Now if the Warriors organization cannot show itself to be 110% behind Curry and the fan base cannot show itself to be 110% behind Curry—even after all he has done with the Warriors—then I must ask what exactly is it about the Warriors that is supposed to make it an attractive destination? They cannot even support their best player.

And yes the organization is not supporting Curry sufficiently. I find it bizarre that on a purported Warriors forum like this one, there isn't even a dedicated Stephen Curry thread as he is unleashing an MVP level season. Where is the chatter coming from the organization having his back? Where was the pushback from the team when all the idiocy at the beginning of the season was being spread? The Lakers probably sold their target free agents on the idea that they'll be able to play with the best player in the world if they joined their team. Can the Warriors do the same? Would they even believe it?

The KD episode showed other star players of his caliber that it can also be potentially weird trying to fit into the Warriors. Other players with an ego are being shown they won't be allowed to shine. The Warriors it seems are trying to cultivate a Spurs identity. Kawhi though seems to have done much better for himself leaving such a straitjacket. My observation is also that stars weren't rushing to join the Spurs. They were more willing to join the Lakers. Kobe was a better draw than Duncan. There have been many notable partings from the Warriors that belie the rosy story Warriors fans tell themselves about the team: KD of course, but also Cousins, Javale McGee, Patrick McCaw, and Jordan Bell for example. The team better wise-up.

The problem can be summed up in the title of this thread. What it should read is this: The best player in the world is producing some of his most exciting basketball ever—and the Warriors have him.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#23 » by Impuniti » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:32 pm

I agree with the above. The fact that Warrior fans either wanted the Warriors to tank early in the season or finish outside of top 10 instead of doing as well as possible during one of Steph's last prime years is disgraceful..

and doesn't make a lick of sense.

Reality is that you don't have any guarantees
- That the pick will be useful
- That Wiseman will turn into a HoF great

Organization should be putting their chips and helping push this team forward as much as possible for the next 2-3 years, because it's not going to get better afterwards.

This has been an ongoing sideshow for years though, it's not a surprise. I think Steph's passive personality probably plays a role. I still remember when Steph had the highest PPG ever in a Western conference final in its history, and fans were delusionally arguing about who was more impact, Draymond or Steph? Just **** laughable. And you know that this type of narrative has also gotten in Dray's head with the dumb **** he says sometimes.
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#24 » by SAKURABA216 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:37 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
SAKURABA216 wrote:This is the thing that doesn't make any sense to me. The Warriors should be the team that all stars that just want to win should be demanding a trade to. They have a winning culture, good ownership, unselfish stars, good trade assets to make it work, and a culture that has proven that it is only one other star away from dominating the rest of the league. However, you haven't seen any of the star players come out and demand a trade here yet. All Beal has to do is say the magic words and he will be here by the trade deadline. Could it be that the team isn't as big of a free agent destination as we are hoping it is?

Simple question to both of you: Is Stephen Curry the best player in the NBA? If your answer is no then my question is why not?

The objective evidence I would argue absolutely screams that he is. Now if other teams and their followers don't agree, that is understandable. But it is unacceptable if his own organization doesn't seem to believe it or to make moves that back such a belief.

The Clippers bent over backwards for Kawhi, Curry should be able to expect nothing less even if he isn't demanding it. But there are people here already presuming tanking is the best option because they don't seem to believe Curry can accomplish anything with the current team. This is absolutely dumb thinking.

Now if the Warriors organization cannot show itself to be 110% behind Curry and the fan base cannot show itself to be 110% behind Curry—even after all he has done with the Warriors—then I must ask what exactly is it about the Warriors that is supposed to make it an attractive destination? They cannot even support their best player.

And yes the organization is not supporting Curry sufficiently. I find it bizarre that on a purported Warriors forum like this one, there isn't even a dedicated Stephen Curry thread as he is unleashing an MVP level season. Where is the chatter coming from the organization having his back? Where was the pushback from the team when all the idiocy at the beginning of the season was being spread? The Lakers probably sold their target free agents on the idea that they'll be able to play with the best player in the world if they joined their team. Can the Warriors do the same? Would they even believe it?

The KD episode showed other star players of his caliber that it can also be potentially weird trying to fit into the Warriors. Other players with an ego are being shown they won't be allowed to shine. The Warriors it seems are trying to cultivate a Spurs identity. Kawhi though seems to have done much better for himself leaving such a straitjacket. My observation is also that stars weren't rushing to join the Spurs. They were more willing to join the Lakers. Kobe was a better draw than Duncan. There have been many notable partings from the Warriors that belie the rosy story Warriors fans tell themselves about the team: KD of course, but also Cousins, Javale McGee, Patrick McCaw, and Jordan Bell for example. The team better wise-up.

The problem can be summed up in the title of this thread. What it should read is this: The best player in the world is producing some of his most exciting basketball ever—and the Warriors have him.

Is Steph currently the best player in the NBA? That is debatable, over the past few weeks yes but I think an argument could be made for Lebron and KD as well, but that is besides the point. Of course, the Warriors need to do whatever they can to support Curry, but there are so many other factors to take into consideration. They are way over the cap so their ability to make any moves depends on whether or not any other team is willing to trade their star player to the Warriors and be willing to accept what they receive in return.

We can't trade Klay because he is almost as valuable to the team as Curry is when he is healthy.

We can't trade Draymond because we will not receive equal value for what he offers to this team.

We have tried using Wiggins as a big contract to make the numbers work in any trade for a max player, but so far no other team is willing to trade us their star in a package that includes him. Additionally, if we do trade him then we would have a huge hole at starting SF that can create his own shot and defend perimeter players.

Wiseman could be traded, but as the past few games have shown us, we need a legit center to defend the paint, rebound, and finish lobs. If we still had Chriss or actively pursued another center during free agency like Dwight Howard then it would be easier to include him in a trade package, but all we have now at back-up center is Looney who should not be playing extended minutes on a contending team.

This leave Oubre as our only real trade chip, but his trade value has taken a hit with his early struggles and his apparently low basketball IQ.

Now if we look at which players are possibly available that could help Curry this season, there really is only Bradley Beal. However, since he has not asked to be traded and the Wizards have made it known that they see him as their franchise player that they will want to build their team around, the Warriors offer for him will have to be substantial. The best package we could offer is Wiggins/Oubre + Wiseman + Minnesota pick + future FRPs. Would it be worth it to trade all of those pieces for Beal? That is debatable, but the past few games have shown us that we need a legit center or else every game will just be a shootout and we would be asking Curry to play even more minutes and risk injury just so we can be a be a team whose ceiling is a 2nd round exit.

On the other hand, if we showed some restraint and took a step back, there is a possibility that next season we could have Curry/Klay/Wiggins/Draymond/Wiseman plus a top 4 pick and a pick in the 10-20 range in the stacked 2021 draft. Not only would we be in a better position to trade for another star, but we could also just keep our players and be set up to contend next year and into the foreseeable future.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#25 » by WarriorGM » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:34 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:Is Steph currently the best player in the NBA? That is debatable, over the past few weeks yes but I think an argument could be made for Lebron and KD as well, but that is besides the point. Of course, the Warriors need to do whatever they can to support Curry, but there are so many other factors to take into consideration. They are way over the cap so their ability to make any moves depends on whether or not any other team is willing to trade their star player to the Warriors and be willing to accept what they receive in return.

We can't trade Klay because he is almost as valuable to the team as Curry is when he is healthy.

We can't trade Draymond because we will not receive equal value for what he offers to this team.

We have tried using Wiggins as a big contract to make the numbers work in any trade for a max player, but so far no other team is willing to trade us their star in a package that includes him. Additionally, if we do trade him then we would have a huge hole at starting SF that can create his own shot and defend perimeter players.

Wiseman could be traded, but as the past few games have shown us, we need a legit center to defend the paint, rebound, and finish lobs. If we still had Chriss or actively pursued another center during free agency like Dwight Howard then it would be easier to include him in a trade package, but all we have now at back-up center is Looney who should not be playing extended minutes on a contending team.

This leave Oubre as our only real trade chip, but his trade value has taken a hit with his early struggles and his apparently low basketball IQ.

Now if we look at which players are possibly available that could help Curry this season, there really is only Bradley Beal. However, since he has not asked to be traded and the Wizards have made it known that they see him as their franchise player that they will want to build their team around, the Warriors offer for him will have to be substantial. The best package we could offer is Wiggins/Oubre + Wiseman + Minnesota pick + future FRPs. Would it be worth it to trade all of those pieces for Beal? That is debatable, but the past few games have shown us that we need a legit center or else every game will just be a shootout and we would be asking Curry to play even more minutes and risk injury just so we can be a be a team whose ceiling is a 2nd round exit.

On the other hand, if we showed some restraint and took a step back, there is a possibility that next season we could have Curry/Klay/Wiggins/Draymond/Wiseman plus a top 4 pick and a pick in the 10-20 range in the stacked 2021 draft. Not only would we be in a better position to trade for another star, but we could also just keep our players and be set up to contend next year and into the foreseeable future.

You are addressing a different point from the one I was making. If the team stayed pat on the trade front by not moving Oubre I would be somewhat disappointed but would give the front office a pass.

What I was addressing was your question on why the Warriors don't seem to be a more popular destination. My point is it's a matter of attitude. It is about how the team treats Curry. Is he the best player or not? If he isn't why should anyone join him? If Warriors fans such as yourself seem to be equivocal about his ability why should a star player putting his career on the line have more confidence in joining your team?

You seem to think this is a minor detail. It isn't. It is a MAJOR detail. You seem to think team culture is going to close the deal with star prospects? What stars have joined San Antonio? I don't think you realize how much KD and Iguodala leaving has made the Warriors look like a dysfunctional mess. The team spent its time hyping up KD as its best player and now that he left and the Warriors finished last in the league you think free agents should be beating a path to your door? Get real.

Wishy-washiness about Steph betrays a stink to anyone who takes a whiff. The team should learn something from Andre and KD joining. What do they share in common? They were both beaten in the playoffs by the Warriors. They had a good hard look at what they were joining and were impressed. The team will have better success with recruitment if it can make such an impression again.
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#26 » by SAKURABA216 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:21 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
You are addressing a different point from the one I was making. If the team stayed pat on the trade front by not moving Oubre I would be somewhat disappointed but would give the front office a pass.

What I was addressing was your question on why the Warriors don't seem to be a more popular destination. My point is it's a matter of attitude. It is about how the team treats Curry. Is he the best player or not? If he isn't why should anyone join him? If Warriors fans such as yourself seem to be equivocal about his ability why should a star player putting his career on the line have more confidence in joining your team?

You seem to think this is a minor detail. It isn't. It is a MAJOR detail. You seem to think team culture is going to close the deal with star prospects? What stars have joined San Antonio? I don't think you realize how much KD and Iguodala leaving has made the Warriors look like a dysfunctional mess. The team spent its time hyping up KD as its best player and now that he left and the Warriors finished last in the league you think free agents should be beating a path to your door? Get real.

Wishy-washiness about Steph betrays a stink to anyone who takes a whiff. The team should learn something from Andre and KD joining. What do they share in common? They were both beaten in the playoffs by the Warriors. They had a good hard look at what they were joining and were impressed. The team will have better success with recruitment if it can make such an impression again.

I think your point is a little reductive. Even if the Warriors decided to go "all-in" and rebuild a team around Steph right now there are only so many moves they are able to make at this point in time. They have a ton of money tied up in Klay, Draymond, and Wiggins and those 3 are pretty much untradeable. The FO's reluctance to gut the entire roster right now is not indicative of a lack of faith in Curry, but has more to do with the fact that there are no trades they can realistically engage in that will significantly improve the team at this point in time.

The Warriors finishing last in the league last season had more to do with Klay suffering a season-ending injury and Curry missing time due to a broken hand than it did with KD leaving. I agree that more players would want to join the team if they make a deep playoff run again, but its not like this team is made of a bunch of scrappy up-and-comers like the Memphis Grizzlies or well-balanced, but overlooked like the Miami Heat last year. The Warriors were a proven dynasty that won a championship without KD and would be a top 3 team again with another superstar once Klay returns.

What move could the Warriors make right now that would convince you that they are 100% behind Curry? What realistic trade scenario do you think would get us another superstar and who would that be?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#27 » by Onus » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:52 pm

I agree with wgm the fact the warriors organization and coaching staff are kind of throwing away this season or have the attitude that this isn’t our year because klay is out is bull ****. At our best the team as constructed can be a top 4 team in the west and as a top 4 team and with one of the best if not the best offensive weapon you have a shot at a title. The fact the organization and coaching staff aren’t acting like we are a title contending team this year just shows that they don’t believe in Curry. Having the best player in the world you have a shot at the title any year.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#28 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:03 pm

The reason the thread is titled as is is because I don't think Steph has to be the best player in the league for the Warriors to realize that they need to do everything they can to put the best team they can around him. They just need to realize that he's still a super star.

With that said, I also realize that things are not black and white. Going all in for the next few years doesn't necessarily make it the only the smart move for an organization who want to stay competitive for decades. What this thread was more so about was making sure that the FO doesn't squander things that are in their control like throwing away a useful salary slot that can be used later on like that of Kelly's. But like others have mentioned, a deal has to exist before we start condemning the FO for not taking it.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#29 » by WarriorGM » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 am

SAKURABA216 wrote:I think your point is a little reductive. Even if the Warriors decided to go "all-in" and rebuild a team around Steph right now there are only so many moves they are able to make at this point in time. They have a ton of money tied up in Klay, Draymond, and Wiggins and those 3 are pretty much untradeable. The FO's reluctance to gut the entire roster right now is not indicative of a lack of faith in Curry, but has more to do with the fact that there are no trades they can realistically engage in that will significantly improve the team at this point in time.

The Warriors finishing last in the league last season had more to do with Klay suffering a season-ending injury and Curry missing time due to a broken hand than it did with KD leaving. I agree that more players would want to join the team if they make a deep playoff run again, but its not like this team is made of a bunch of scrappy up-and-comers like the Memphis Grizzlies or well-balanced, but overlooked like the Miami Heat last year. The Warriors were a proven dynasty that won a championship without KD and would be a top 3 team again with another superstar once Klay returns.

What move could the Warriors make right now that would convince you that they are 100% behind Curry? What realistic trade scenario do you think would get us another superstar and who would that be?

There is no reason to believe the Grizzlies or Heat are a better destination than the Warriors unless you believe Curry is over the hill. That there could be any doubt about how good he remains shows the organization completely dropped the ball on that front.

For starters the Warriors should get a dedicated hype man for their guy. The way Morey backed Harden in Houston and gave him every chance to succeed is one model. It's bad enough that Kerr cannot seem to give fulsome praise to Curry because of Kerr's prior association with Jordan but at the very least Kerr should stop undermining Curry at every turn. If Curry wants two more minutes to try to seal a win give him the opportunity to do so. If one of his players needs a little more playtime to achieve a milestone leave him in. It adds to their star power and that is the currency needed to draw free agents that are on the fence.

I do not expect the front office to gut the entire roster. I don't even think the team needs another superstar. Maybe that is necessary for a player like LeBron to succeed but Curry is better. I consider Curry a top ten all-time great. What Hakeem did in 1994 and Dirk did in 2011 I consider within Curry's ability. But team chemistry is critical. Curry will do swimmingly as long as the team plays to his strengths. Along that vein, unless things start to turn around—which to be fair might actually be happening—that means saying farewell to Oubre. A trade for Lonzo seems as fine an idea to me as any but admittedly I do not know and have not looked at what the salary implications would be.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#30 » by killmongrel » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:00 am

Steph is amazing.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,920

Post#31 » by whatisacenter » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:14 am

If he could just cut down on his turnovers he would be special....I kid I kid, we are so freakin lucky!
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#32 » by Old_Blue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:17 am

The discussion of greatest point guard to ever play the game begins and ends with Steph.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#33 » by Impuniti » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:32 am

whatisacenter wrote:If he could just cut down on his turnovers he would be special....I kid I kid, we are so freakin lucky!

You're not wrong that it would be nice if he did though :lol:
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#34 » by Upperclass » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:00 am

Kawhi
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#35 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:54 am

Well he's the funnest player to watch in the last 10 years IMO. Joy....greatness....reminds me of Magic....there hasn't been a player since Magic that plays with that same joy.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.

Return to Golden State Warriors