ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Kerr a system guy

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Is Kerr a system guy 

Post#1 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:03 am

I love Steve Kerr as this team's coach. He's guided the egos and the team to amazing success. I've seen the most beautiful basketball under him I've ever seen.

BUT...:)

Warriors don't have Iggy, Livingston, Bogut...supreme passers and vets. This team has NONE of that.

Is it possible that Warriors would be farther along if he didn't try and plug Oubre, Wiggins, Wiseman into the constant ball movement while seeking out Steph's repositioning all the time?

You could make an argument that simplifying the games early on and clearing out space for Wiggins, Oubre and Wiseman to take turns playing a little more isolation. They wouldn't have to think as much....look for Steph constantly....

Just watching Wiseman at the end of the Clippers game play freely and without worries....

It's a great system....but when would a great coach change the style of ball to get new players comfortable more quickly.

The complexity and the demands for court vision, passing, spacing...I think it's why the Warriors look so damn bad at times. They just don't have the personnel to play that style.

Dunno...but it seems like if you KNOW you don't have playmakers...don't have ball handlers...vets...high IQ ballers...you would adjust THE SYSTEM?
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Is Kerr a system guy 

Post#2 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:29 am

Kerr definitely is a system guy, but for me his system is basketball at its purest, as it was meant to be played - as a flowing, team game. Constant motion. Constant ball movement. ISO ball is horrible, ugly, bastardized basketball and is not winning basketball in today's NBA - for a brief time maybe it was, when defenses were a brutal hackathon and the idea was to slow down the pace. But now with the prominence of the three point shot, the flexibility defenses are given to play different schemes, and the cracking down on thuggish play, iso ball is a losing formula.

The Lacob-era Warriors are very good at player development. Players might not be used to playing the beautiful style of play that the Warriors employ, but the Warriors think they are capable or they wouldn't have invested in them. It takes some time, but this season was never about this season, it was always about retooling for the Warriors NEXT championship squad, which hopefully will come in the net 2-3 years.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#3 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:12 am

Don't adjust the system. They need to adjust the players. The system isn't worth sh#@ without the stars as you can see. That's why it's pointless to develop players without high ceilings, waste of time.

Doesn't matter what kind of system they have if they run up against better players they will get beat. Now if they have Kerr's system plus the right players then they will beat the better players as shown when they beat Lebron and KD.

They need to stop this development crap. They either need to makes some trades or they need to tank. They can start development when they grab the high ceiling young players. They need to decide if they want to pursue championship or start a new rebuild.

If they want to pursue championship they need to make trades. If they want to rebuild then they need to trade all the old stars and start all over again because the timing of development won't coincide with the stars decline. Personally I would shoot for championships, but the past two years their actions show they are interested in rebuilding halfway. Halfway is not going to work because of the time difference between the vets and the rooks.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#4 » by vagelis » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:54 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:I love Steve Kerr as this team's coach. He's guided the egos and the team to amazing success. I've seen the most beautiful basketball under him I've ever seen.

Warriors don't have Iggy, Livingston, Bogut...supreme passers and vets. This team has NONE of that.

Is it possible that Warriors would be farther along if he didn't try and plug Oubre, Wiggins, Wiseman into the constant ball movement while seeking out Steph's repositioning all the time?

You could make an argument that simplifying the games early on and clearing out space for Wiggins, Oubre and Wiseman to take turns playing a little more isolation. They wouldn't have to think as much....look for Steph constantly....

Just watching Wiseman at the end of the Clippers game play freely and without worries....

It's a great system....but when would a great coach change the style of ball to get new players comfortable more quickly.

The complexity and the demands for court vision, passing, spacing...I think it's why the Warriors look so damn bad at times. They just don't have the personnel to play that style.

Dunno...but it seems like if you KNOW you don't have playmakers...don't have ball handlers...vets...high IQ ballers...you would adjust THE SYSTEM?

The current roster does not fit to what Kerr wants to play. Kerr should have understood this already. Warriors lose from every good team of the league.
The system that Kerr plays is for creating open looks for shooters who cannot create open looks by themselves. The only player who is allowed to use his talent is Curry. The other players have to follow the system that restricts their freedom.
I agree with you that Warriors should play simpler and use some screens sometimes for Curry and Wiggins in order to break the defense without moving the ball and run so much in offense.

But I know there is no possibility that Kerr changes a little bit his system.
NBA coaches follow a plan without adjusting even if they lose for a year. In Europe the coaches change their plan even in the duration of a game.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,254

Post#5 » by Onus » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:38 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:I love Steve Kerr as this team's coach. He's guided the egos and the team to amazing success. I've seen the most beautiful basketball under him I've ever seen.

What system does the 2nd unit play? It sure as hell isn’t a ball movement system. It’s pretty much the same system you describe of get out of the way and isolate and they suck at it.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#6 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:58 pm

Onus wrote:

What system does the 2nd unit play? It sure as hell isn’t a ball movement system. It’s pretty much the same system you describe of get out of the way and isolate and they suck at it.

That's true. But it's worse if the 2nd unit is spending all their time TRYING to play the system. What if, for example, Kerr said that the second unit would play a more heavily ISO game. Taking turns featuring Wiggins, Wiseman...hell even Poole...in isolation create and dish? Paschall...just get the ball in his hands and let him go to work.

I think less thinking and just letting the players play naturally to their instincts is better on the second unit.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#7 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:59 pm

In other words....Square peg...round hole...doesn't work.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#8 » by xdrta+ » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:08 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
Onus wrote:

That's true. But it's worse if the 2nd unit is spending all their time TRYING to play the system. What if, for example, Kerr said that the second unit would play a more heavily ISO game. Taking turns featuring Wiggins, Wiseman...hell even Poole...in isolation create and dish? Paschall...just get the ball in his hands and let him go to work.

I think less thinking and just letting the players play naturally to their instincts is better on the second unit.

Whether Kerr is telling them to or not, it sure seems like that's exactly what they're doing.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#9 » by cpower » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Wiggins, Oubre and Wiseman to take turns playing a little more isolation

come on now, as if this team's offense is not bad already. these are absolutely atrocious iso players :lol:
vetmin
Junior
And1: 131

Post#10 » by vetmin » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:33 pm

Kerr is a system guy whose system is perfect for the Steph/Draymond nucleus as long as you give them the right supporting cast. I don't believe that Kerr is in that top tier of coaches who can get the best out of any squad they might be given, like Nurse and Spo. In an interesting way, Kerr is kinda like the coach equivalent of Draymond -- someone who fits his particular circumstance way more than he could possibly fit anywhere else.

There's a lot of arguing about Kerr among the fanbase... "Steve is too stubborn! He's holding back Steph and the team!" "No, you idiot! He's an all-time great coach who took a non-contender from Mark Jackson and turned it into a 3-time NBA champion!" The reality, I think, is somewhere in the middle, in that Steve is a good, but not elite coach, whose system is now part of the DNA of the way his core players play (Steph/Klay/Draymond), and short of somehow replacing with him with Nurse or Spo, there's no way to upgrade. He's also going to continue being the system guy he is, just like Draymond is going to continue bricking 3s and getting ill-timed techs. They are both frustrating guys at times who -- on balance -- provide a net positive that we can't realistically improve upon.

My frustrations are mainly geared towards the front office (I won't say Bob, because I have no idea what the power dynamic and decision-making process is like over there, given how hands-on Lacob seems to be). They should recognize Kerr's limitations and get him the kinds of guys he needs. Sure, the most sustainable way for a team to be perpetually good-to-great is by having top-tier scouting and development departments as well as an elite head coach who can always find a way to get positive impact out of limited and/or inexperienced players -- reason being that this enables you to get substantial production at very little cost and increases the chance that the player will realize his potential (with one or two here and there becoming legit starters or stars). But Bob aint Masai, Kerr aint Nurse, and Kent Lacob sure as heck aint whoever in Toronto is out there turning G League projects into big-time NBA players (something tells me it’s not Kent Ujiri...).

Aint no light years goin on over here. The only real strategic advantage that the Warriors have is Steph and a few guys he has great basketball chemistry with (Klay, Draymond, and Kerr). The front office needs to face this reality and capitalize on this unique advantage while they can. My guess is that Kerr will no longer be an effective coach for this team post-Steph and he will probably retire (also because of his health). It is likelier than fans probably think that we have a Kings-like future ahead of us, even with Wiseman and/or the MIN-pick rookie. The Steph (+ Draymond + Kerr... + Klay + Iguodala + Livingston) thing was a stroke of great fortune that this front office deserves credit for capitalizing upon in its ripest phase, but the lack of adaptability they're showing now that the going is starting to get tough is concerning.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#11 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:25 am

Give him credit, he did tweak the offense a little today.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#12 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:01 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Kerr definitely is a system guy, but for me his system is basketball at its purest, as it was meant to be played - as a flowing, team game. Constant motion. Constant ball movement. ISO ball is horrible, ugly, bastardized basketball and is not winning basketball in today's NBA - for a brief time maybe it was, when defenses were a brutal hackathon and the idea was to slow down the pace. But now with the prominence of the three point shot, the flexibility defenses are given to play different schemes, and the cracking down on thuggish play, iso ball is a losing formula.

The Lacob-era Warriors are very good at player development. Players might not be used to playing the beautiful style of play that the Warriors employ, but the Warriors think they are capable or they wouldn't have invested in them. It takes some time, but this season was never about this season, it was always about retooling for the Warriors NEXT championship squad, which hopefully will come in the net 2-3 years.

I actually don't think that the Lacob-era Warriors are all that great at player development. There's clearly some disconnect between the scouting and player development in the organization. I don't think that Damion Jones or Jacob Evans were ever going to be useful players, so it's hard for me to pin that on the coaches, but we also had in our G-League team, training camp, or on two-way contracts the following NBA rotation players: Georges Niang, Danuel House Jr., Kendrick Nunn, and Chris Boucher. We chose Alfonzo McKinnie, whose only above average skill was offensive rebounding from the wing, over Nunn (domestic violence past probably makes me feel better we never did get him, but I digress) and House Jr.

There have been some encouraging signs with Wiggins and Oubre. Chriss was a good find last year, although my understanding is that he showed up to training camp and immediately started passing the hell out of the ball, so I don't necessarily think that this was a skill the Warriors developed as much as it was one he got to show in our system. JTA and Lee have been good finds, but I feel like they're such solid guys with an understanding of the game that they were bound to catch on.

I agree with you that Kerr's system was gorgeous, at least in the pre-KD years. Those teams were far greater than the sum of their parts. But there is also no way they could be dropped into the modern NBA and win 73 games. Our bench lineups were revolutionary at that time relative to what other teams were trotting out. Barnes was quicker and a better shooter than most backup 4's and we could get away with running bizarre sets where the nominal PG, Livingston, operated in single coverage in the post because we could space the floor around him with shooters and let our backup C, Speights, operate as a stretch 5 gunner.

What I think made those teams really special and dangerous in Kerr's system was that pretty much everyone had to be guarded. If Livingston had the ball in his hands, you had to be alert so he wouldn't run and a give and go on a baseline cut or take you into the post for a fadeaway. Barbosa was always a threat to get to the hoop or shoot the ball. Speights was a gunner. Barnes was a good shooter and a lot better offensively than most bench 4's. Andre was always looking to make a smart play. Then add in the starters and all the possible lineup combinations... it was a very well built team and the system perfectly maximized the strengths and for the most part, minimized the weakness of the players.

I do very much appreciate the system, but I'd like Kerr to be more flexible in regards to his system. As I've said before, what made the system so deadly in the past was that most everyone on the floor was a threat to do something with the ball in their hands. Last year, that wasn't the case. Teams knew that a Jacob Evans entry pass to Kevon Looney wasn't going to end in a bucket. Evans wasn't a shooting threat and Looney doesn't look for his own shot. A lot of the passing that was so purposeful in the pre KD-years is utterly feckless when it's Brad Wanamaker playing hot potato with Looney at the top of the key to get a pindown for say, Damion Lee to come up to the top of the key and handle the ball and drive into traffic because teams don't respect our shooters and pack the paint.

I am not advocating full Harden ball here. I simply think that the Kerr motion system really only works when teams respect the players running it. I think Kerr has shown that by and large, he places greater value on having NBA level defenders out there than NBA level shooters. And when you sacrifice offense for defense like that, you end up running lots of sets where defenses don't feel inclined to pay attention to the main action.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#13 » by and1GS » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:22 pm

Man, you really like to play both sides of the fence don't you? I thought Damian Jones was better than Wiseman and all Jordan Bell needed was a little TLC?

Jacob Evans was a bad pick. Boucher went undrafted. So did Jeremy Lin. We had House for one month in the G-League. I think it's fair to say a nearly every team missed on them. Multiple times.

I also love the revisionist history. So suddenly Speights, who was HORRENDOUS pre-Kerr, was always a 'gunner'? He was actively torpedoing our team before he was put into a position to succeed. In 13 mpg he threw up a nasty 6 ppg - GUNNA GANG.

The Barnes stuff is very funny too. We lost to...the Spurs I believe?...because Mark went full momma there go that man with posting Harrison up at the 4.

There's so much interesting stuff from that stuff that it's tough to just pick a few, but my last favorite was that 'Shaun had to be guarded.' What are they guarding him for in a non motion offense? Shaun wasn't doing the Nash baseline lap. He was catching it at low post and taking a turnaround 2. Or distributing while running point. That was literally all he did on offense and we optimized for that. At no point were people saying 'ah **** we gotta make sure Shaun doesn't break us down off the dribble and get to his spot 5 feet out!'
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#14 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:01 pm

and1GS wrote:Man, you really like to play both sides of the fence don't you? I thought Damian Jones was better than Wiseman and all Jordan Bell needed was a little TLC?

Jacob Evans was a bad pick. Boucher went undrafted. So did Jeremy Lin. We had House for one month in the G-League. I think it's fair to say a nearly every team missed on them. Multiple times.

I also love the revisionist history. So suddenly Speights, who was HORRENDOUS pre-Kerr, was always a 'gunner'? He was actively torpedoing our team before he was put into a position to succeed. In 13 mpg he threw up a nasty 6 ppg - GUNNA GANG.

The Barnes stuff is very funny too. We lost to...the Spurs I believe?...because Mark went full momma there go that man with posting Harrison up at the 4.

There's so much interesting stuff from that stuff that it's tough to just pick a few, but my last favorite was that 'Shaun had to be guarded.' What are they guarding him for in a non motion offense? Shaun wasn't doing the Nash baseline lap. He was catching it at low post and taking a turnaround 2. Or distributing while running point. That was literally all he did on offense and we optimized for that. At no point were people saying 'ah **** we gotta make sure Shaun doesn't break us down off the dribble and get to his spot 5 feet out!'

You’re confusing me with WarriorsGM. At no point did I claim that our dynasty’s downfall was an inability to develop Jones and Bell.

Anywho I don’t really get the hostility here to some of the things I wrote. I didn’t say Speights was “always” a gunner. But he we used him as one under Kerr and the results were great! It was very clear MJax misused him at the 4. Kerr did a great thing with Speights.

You’re spot on about MJax posting up Barnes against San Antonio. The Spurs baited MJax by putting a small guard on Barnes, at which point Jackson would call for Barnes to ISO over and over again because mismatches baby.

And to what you said about Livingston, I said that Livingston had to be guarded in our motion system.
I agree completely that he was optimized by Kerr. I can’t really think of any other team where he would have been as good on offense as he was with the Warriors, where he fit perfectly, which is more or less what I said.

Again, I really don’t understand why you reacted to my post with hostility. I made two main points — one of which you seem to agree with me on.

The first point was that Kerr’s system was a perfect fit for the pre KD Warriors and made the team greater than the sum of the parts. My second point was that Kerr’s system isn’t nearly as effective when defenses don’t respect the offensive ability of the players running the system.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:19 pm

well, every coach is a system guy. if a coach doesn't have a system what is he doing?

but I'd argue that he's too much of a system guy, sticks to his concepts even to a fault when they are not working and never deviates.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#16 » by and1GS » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:27 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
and1GS wrote:Man, you really like to play both sides of the fence don't you? I thought Damian Jones was better than Wiseman and all Jordan Bell needed was a little TLC?

You’re confusing me with WarriorsGM. At no point did I claim that our dynasty’s downfall was an inability to develop Jones and Bell.

Anywho I don’t really get the hostility here to some of the things I wrote. I didn’t say Speights was “always” a gunner. But he we used him as one under Kerr and the results were great! It was very clear MJax misused him at the 4. Kerr did a great thing with Speights.

You’re spot on about MJax posting up Barnes against San Antonio. The Spurs baited MJax by putting a small guard on Barnes, at which point Jackson would call for Barnes to ISO over and over again because mismatches baby.

And to what you said about Livingston, I said that Livingston had to be guarded in our motion system.
I agree completely that he was optimized by Kerr. I can’t really think of any other team where he would have been as good on offense as he was with the Warriors, where he fit perfectly, which is more or less what I said.

Again, I really don’t understand why you reacted to my post with hostility. I made two main points — one of which you seem to agree with me on.

The first point was that Kerr’s system was a perfect fit for the pre KD Warriors and made the team greater than the sum of the parts. My second point was that Kerr’s system isn’t nearly as effective when defenses don’t respect the offensive ability of the players running the system.

Woops, def conflated you with the other poster! Sincerest apologies good sir.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#17 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:30 pm

Bringing Kerr back to the top....

Let's forget this is our team. Let's pretend we are watching them from afar....different team. Has the team quit on the coach...? We would likely say yes. Does the team look completely confused? Yes.

And if you want to put it on Wiseman...then it was the coaching decisions to start him on day one....take him out...put him back...let him have fun...but tell him not to do too much....ahem.

Again....love the guy for his managing personalities and having the trust of the players.

I think some of that trust has been spent on playing baby Wiseman this year...and screwing up the team. Would have been a much more consistent team with very little Wiseman.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#18 » by xdrta+ » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:53 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Bringing Kerr back to the top....

Let's forget this is our team. Let's pretend we are watching them from afar....different team. Has the team quit on the coach...? We would likely say yes. Does the team look completely confused? Yes.

And if you want to put it on Wiseman...then it was the coaching decisions to start him on day one....take him out...put him back...let him have fun...but tell him not to do too much....ahem.

Again....love the guy for his managing personalities and having the trust of the players.

I think some of that trust has been spent on playing baby Wiseman this year...and screwing up the team. Would have been a much more consistent team with very little Wiseman.

Screwing up the team? This is a crappy team playing around .500 because of Steph. Kerr's not screwing up anything.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#19 » by sonnyhill » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:41 pm

Is anyone here at all concerned with how Kerr was not able to adapt-adjust when Nurse had Toronto play a box zone with one man constantly guarding Curry?

If anything, Kerr should have been able to devise an offensive scheme which would have attacked a four-man zone without any difficulty.

That Toronto series, with both Klay and KD getting hurt AND with Kerr showing an inability to adapt-adjust to a "janky defense (Curry's words), exposed Kerr's deficiencies as a bench coach.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#20 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:44 pm

sonnyhill wrote:Is anyone here at all concerned with how Kerr was not able to adapt-adjust when Nurse had Toronto play a box zone with one man constantly guarding Curry?

If anything, Kerr should have been able to devise an offensive scheme which would have attacked a four-man zone without any difficulty.

That Toronto series, with both Klay and KD getting hurt AND with Kerr showing an inability to adapt-adjust to a "janky defense (Curry's words), exposed Kerr's deficiencies as a bench coach.

Kerr's deficiencies were recognizable far earlier. If it really took Nick U'Ren mentioning it before Kerr considered moving Iguodala into the starting lineup then what does that say about Kerr? I don't buy the positive democratic spin that situation was given by the media. I see something obvious being overlooked by the guy who should have seen it.

Kerr's coaching in the 2016 finals was uninspired. Insisting on playing Ezeli and Varajao was simply leading the team to the slaughter.

Kerr seems to be the reason JaVale left. That's something everyone seems to sweep under the rug for some reason. I've made my complaints before on how Kerr and his staff failed to develop players like Jones and Bell. That's why I'm kind of mystified at his sudden love affair for Wiseman. The team needs a playable center with Steph now and yet the guy they've chosen to put their chips on is the guy who isn't likely to be ready until way past Steph's peak expiration date. I don't get it. The failure to retain JaVale or develop Jones or Bell is the reason why the pain from the current Wiseman situation is so acute.

Kerr also was complacent in the 2019 Clippers series. The Warriors should have won that series quickly but Kerr treated a playoffs game like a regular season game and played his garbage lineup. The Clippers punished such casualness and came back to win a game they had no business winning and extended the series leading to injuries to Steph and Klay and more wear on KD who eventually had his Achilles injury.

Return to Golden State Warriors