ImageImageImageImageImage

I told you guys that Jordan Poole was going to impress.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Re: I told you guys that Jordan Poole was going to impress. 

Post#61 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:09 pm

Would love to be proven wrong on him. Was not a fan of the pick at all.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#62 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:24 pm

EvanZ wrote:Would love to be proven wrong on him. Was not a fan of the pick at all.

In a small sample size and a healthy amount of garbage time, he's rating really well in multiple metrics. OBPM has him at +4.0. ORPM at +5.26. EPM at +2.6 on offense. He won't keep shooting >45% from three, but I think there's a path to him being a very good offensive player in this league and the metrics seem to agree.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#63 » by michaelm » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 am

His shooting has certainly looked useful since his G-league stint, and shooting other than from Curry is certainly one of the team’s primary needs.

I saw a report the other day that GSW have sent a scout to Australia to observe Justinian Jessup in the Australian league, doubtless a complicated business in the pandemic, so maybe they are assessing what they have and planning for next year, particularly for Klay probably playing limited minutes.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Post#64 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:52 am

Jordan Poole is turning himself into a nice trade chip!
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#65 » by killmongrel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:47 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Jordan Poole is turning himself into a nice trade chip!

I don't have a problem with that since everybody on this roster is tradeable except Curry and Klay.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#66 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:36 am

So something I didn't expect: Poole looks like a really capable on ball defender! He's not particularly quick, he's not very long, tall or strong yet because he prioritizes footwork he's able to stay in front of everyone he's asked to defend.

JP's on course to become one of the really excellent bench players in the league.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#67 » by FNQ » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:45 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:So something I didn't expect: Poole looks like a really capable on ball defender! He's not particularly quick, he's not very long, tall or strong yet because he prioritizes footwork he's able to stay in front of everyone he's asked to defend.

JP's on course to become one of the really excellent bench players in the league.

Impossible. Was told he was a terrible defender too.

Seriously am I the only one seeing that Poole is getting the Klay treatment almost exactly? Klay was better at this stage for sure, but he was pigeon-holed as a limited Korver type, then his impact was downplayed in the offseason because his TS wasnt high enough, everyone hated on his defense even though it was solid.. no lessons were learned

Here are all the guards drafted ahead of Poole in 19:

Jah Morant
RJ Barrett
DeAndre Hunter
Darius Garland
Jarrett Culver
Coby White
Tyler Herro
Romeo Langford
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Matisse Thybulle
Ty Jerome

There are a few names in that list that I'd definitely want less than Poole, and a few names that are pretty close. Like for example - I probably wouldnt want RJ Barrett, Jarrett Culver, Romeo Langford over Poole...

And on the same level, ish? Ty Jerome, NAW, and maybe Thybulle (though hes a totally different style player so its tougher to gauge)

Which leaves Jah, Hunter, Garland, Coby, and Herro as the only guards I'd probably want to take ahead of Poole at this point. I'm really buying in hard on him. Starter material in the near future.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#68 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:35 am

With a healthy roster Poole needs to run that second unit by letting him dominate the ball. Let him develop that 2 man game with wiseman and put 3 defenders/rebounders around them.

With the way hes been playing, front office might be comfortable trading oubre.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#69 » by whatisacenter » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:46 am

FNQ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:So something I didn't expect: Poole looks like a really capable on ball defender! He's not particularly quick, he's not very long, tall or strong yet because he prioritizes footwork he's able to stay in front of everyone he's asked to defend.

Impossible. Was told he was a terrible defender too.

Seriously am I the only one seeing that Poole is getting the Klay treatment almost exactly? Klay was better at this stage for sure, but he was pigeon-holed as a limited Korver type, then his impact was downplayed in the offseason because his TS wasnt high enough, everyone hated on his defense even though it was solid.. no lessons were learned

Here are all the guards drafted ahead of Poole in 19:

Jah Morant
RJ Barrett
DeAndre Hunter
Darius Garland
Jarrett Culver
Coby White
Tyler Herro
Romeo Langford
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Matisse Thybulle
Ty Jerome

There are a few names in that list that I'd definitely want less than Poole, and a few names that are pretty close. Like for example - I probably wouldnt want RJ Barrett, Jarrett Culver, Romeo Langford over Poole...

And on the same level, ish? Ty Jerome, NAW, and maybe Thybulle (though hes a totally different style player so its tougher to gauge)

Which leaves Jah, Hunter, Garland, Coby, and Herro as the only guards I'd probably want to take ahead of Poole at this point. I'm really buying in hard on him. Starter material in the near future.

I agree but I would take RJ Barrett and pass on Ty Jerome from your list.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#70 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:11 am

FNQ wrote:I probably wouldnt want RJ Barrett over Poole...

:o
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#71 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:15 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:With a healthy roster Poole needs to run that second unit by letting him dominate the ball.

Why do you want him to dominate the ball? Warriors don't play that style. To increase his trade value?
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#72 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:22 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:With a healthy roster Poole needs to run that second unit by letting him dominate the ball.

Why do you want him to dominate the ball? Warriors don't play that style. To increase his trade value?

Rather Poole than paschall be the focal point of the second unit.
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#73 » by WESCO » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:23 am

The real Swaggy P!

Really hoping this young man can remain consistent with his jumper and D.

What really amazes me is his craftiness around the rim/ touch shots.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by FNQ » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:27 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
FNQ wrote:I probably wouldnt want RJ Barrett over Poole...

:o

Really inefficient, but good defender.

We already have one of those and while they're fine, they arent something we should aspire to, not on a team with a desperate need for guard skills. Plus I dont think his archetype is really good in the league anymore. Its someone who may not hurt you, but also may not help you. I'd rather try and teach a better scorer to defend in a system than try and get a good defender/inefficient scorer to score more efficiently. The latter rarely seems to happen in the league, ever
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#75 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:33 am

Jordan Poole is a great fit for the starting unit, too bad that #30 guy is standing in his way!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by FNQ » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:48 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Jordan Poole is a great fit for the starting unit, too bad that #30 guy is standing in his way!

Lakers (#1), Heat (#3) start a 6'5 SG and are 2 of the top 3 defensive teams
Jazz (#5) start a 6'1 SG

But we cannot start a 6'4 SG, no sir

The team starting a 6'1 SG is also #1 in adjusted Net Rtg
#2 - Bucks, 6'4 SG
#3 - Suns 6'5 SG
#5 - Lakers 6'5 SG
#6 - Nets 6'5 SG

I swear, between the Beal stuff and Poole stuff, I don't get why W's fans are so obsessed with height, especially at the guard position. Just because Klay had it and it worked, doesn't mean that its necessary to success.. the top 2 net rating teams have guys shorter than Poole.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#77 » by Onus » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:26 am

FNQ wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Jordan Poole is a great fit for the starting unit, too bad that #30 guy is standing in his way!

Jazz (#5) start a 6'1 SG

#2 - Bucks, 6'4 SG
#3 - Suns 6'5 SG
#5 - Lakers 6'5 SG
#6 - Nets 6'5 SG

I swear, between the Beal stuff and Poole stuff, I don't get why W's fans are so obsessed with height, especially at the guard position. Just because Klay had it and it worked, doesn't mean that its necessary to success.. the top 2 net rating teams have guys shorter than Poole.

Height in today’s nba is really overrated
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#78 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:56 am

FNQ wrote:

Jazz (#5) start a 6'1 SG

#2 - Bucks, 6'4 SG
#3 - Suns 6'5 SG
#5 - Lakers 6'5 SG
#6 - Nets 6'5 SG

I'm not talking about his height, I'm skeptical of his ability to guard NBA two-guards. Can he guard Klay? Can he guard CJ McCollum? Have to be able to guard your position.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#79 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:59 am

Onus wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Jazz (#5) start a 6'1 SG

#2 - Bucks, 6'4 SG
#3 - Suns 6'5 SG
#5 - Lakers 6'5 SG
#6 - Nets 6'5 SG

Height in today’s nba is really overrated

Well it's good to be long for your position - height and wingspan correlate pretty well but yeah wingspan is probably a better shorthand for being long for your position.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#80 » by lars_rosenberg » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:36 am

Twinkie defense wrote:I don't get why W's fans are so obsessed with height,

Too much time spent on Tinder probably.

Return to Golden State Warriors