Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: Warriors trade PG Brad Wanamaker to the Hornets 

Post#21 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:14 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:
And what exactly is Wiseman's "style?"

If you are saying they are one and the same style of player, that’s a very convincing argument to trade Wiseman immediately

I'm asking you a legitimate question - What kind of player do you see Wiseman evolving into?

I have no idea. He’s way too raw at this point to know. You have to hope he evolves into Bosh, but the pace he’s at right now makes me think you won’t see that until his 2nd contract
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#22 » by likashing » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:22 pm

FNQ wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:LaMarcus being bought out by the Spurs. He could be an amazing mentor for Wiseman.

He was a 4 that played on the perimeter, mostly a poor defender/rebounder, and seemed to be a throwback player thrust into the wrong generation of ball.. I dunno that we’d want him teaching Wiseman his style

I’d like to see who is slower - LMA or Looney.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#23 » by sonnyhill » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:
And what exactly is Wiseman's "style?"

If you are saying they are one and the same style of player, that’s a very convincing argument to trade Wiseman immediately

I'm asking you a legitimate question - What kind of player do you see Wiseman evolving into?

Great question and should be discussed as many (myself, included) can only answer with a "yet, to-be-determined," and, yet, the kid is about to turn 20, had only played in 3 NCAA games, had no Summer League and a shortened training camp.

Perhaps, with Wiseman, we should ask what can we realistically hope to see him evolve into this rookie season as the first milestone/measurement?
Minimally, I would like to see him become a better rebounder, defender, and outlet passer in this, his rookie, season.

What can Wiseman eventually evolve into?
How about a healthy, left-handed version of Ralph Sampson, a multi-dimensional player who was comfortable playing both at the elbow as well as on the block (Wieseman can be better around the 3-pt arc), played really good on-his-man and help defense, and could lead (with the rebound and outlet pass) and finish (as the trailer) the fast break?

Board brothers and sisters, does anyone else feel a bit "uneasy" with Wiseman's deficient hands (rebounding, catching entry passes)? Reminds me a lot of Adonal Foyle.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:42 pm

sonnyhill wrote:Board brothers and sisters, does anyone else feel a bit "uneasy" with Wiseman's deficient hands (rebounding, catching entry passes)? Reminds me a lot of Adonal Foyle.

Do you know why the board hasnt been littered with horrible takes about his bad hands lately? Because he doesnt have bad hands. He has bad reflexes. And that is an extremely important difference. Been said a lot but here we go once more: Wiseman's "bad hands" narrative, often pushed by those who never wanted him in the first place, is because he cant catch passes that are zipped to him. That's where he struggles. That is a fixable issue.

Having actual bad hands, like Foyle or Udoh, is not. They couldnt catch lobs. They couldnt secure rebounds that dropped right to them. Wiseman does both of those things.

So no, in terms of all the things that worry me about Wiseman, hands is absolutely not one of them. His reflexes are a concern to be sure, but not unexpected for rookies making the jump from basically high school. He just needs to be ready for quick passes when guys like Curry or Draymond have the ball. Now maybe that paints the picture of someone who mentally falls asleep during games.. and that's a whole other concern.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#25 » by Coxy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:44 pm

By bye Flubamaker. Terrible signing Myers, hope Lacob gave you 17 lashings for that screw up.

Chris though? Hope we can bring him back next season.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#26 » by watch1958 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:46 pm

FNQ wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:Board brothers and sisters, does anyone else feel a bit "uneasy" with Wiseman's deficient hands (rebounding, catching entry passes)? Reminds me a lot of Adonal Foyle.

Do you know why the board hasnt been littered with horrible takes about his bad hands lately? Because he doesnt have bad hands. He has bad reflexes. And that is an extremely important difference. Been said a lot but here we go once more: Wiseman's "bad hands" narrative, often pushed by those who never wanted him in the first place, is because he cant catch passes that are zipped to him. That's where he struggles. That is a fixable issue.

Having actual bad hands, like Foyle or Udoh, is not. They couldnt catch lobs. They couldnt secure rebounds that dropped right to them. Wiseman does both of those things.

So no, in terms of all the things that worry me about Wiseman, hands is absolutely not one of them. His reflexes are a concern to be sure, but not unexpected for rookies making the jump from basically high school. He just needs to be ready for quick passes when guys like Curry or Draymond have the ball. Now maybe that paints the picture of someone who mentally falls asleep during games.. and that's a whole other concern.
I remember Foyle's hands. No, Wiseman's hands don't remind me of Adonal's at all.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#27 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:47 pm

I'm going to past posts for those who really in favor of the Wanamaker signing, calling it "underrated" and "great pick-up by Myers" right now and post it on here, haha. That was such an ugly signing.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#28 » by xdrta+ » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:53 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:I'm going to past posts for those who really in favor of the Wanamaker signing, calling it "underrated" and "great pick-up by Myers" right now and post it on here, haha. That was such an ugly signing.

Did you watch him in the bubble with Boston? He looked like he could be a decent backup here.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#29 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:56 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:I'm going to past posts for those who really in favor of the Wanamaker signing, calling it "underrated" and "great pick-up by Myers" right now and post it on here, haha. That was such an ugly signing.

Did you watch him in the bubble with Boston? He looked like he could be a decent backup here.

Lets see if he can bring that magic to Charlotte once playoff comes. Definitely a regular season scrub.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#30 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 pm

Coxy got it right :) :
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#31 » by Old_Blue » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 pm

FNQ wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:
FNQ wrote:

I have no idea. He’s way too raw at this point to know. You have to hope he evolves into Bosh, but the pace he’s at right now makes me think you won’t see that until his 2nd contract

If you're saying that you see Wiseman's role to be that of a power forward (like Bosh), then I'm in agreement that this is Wiseman's ceiling. I don't see him as a center. While this may be viewed as a disappointment, at a certain point we'll have to "let Wiseman be Wiseman." At the start of the season, when I saw him leading a break and finishing with a beautiful finger roll, he definitely opened my eyes to how we could use his athleticism. However, my first thought definitely wasn't "this guy's going to be our starting center for the next decade." Since then, he's done nothing to change my first impression.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#32 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:59 pm

Taking Bowman any day!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:02 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:

If you're saying that you see Wiseman's role to be that of a power forward (like Bosh), then I'm in agreement that this is Wiseman's ceiling. I don't see him as a center. While this may be viewed as a disappointment, at a certain point we'll have to "let Wiseman be Wiseman." At the start of the season, when I saw him leading a break and finishing with a beautiful finger roll, he definitely opened my eyes to how we could use his athleticism. However, my first thought definitely wasn't "this guy's going to be our center for the next decade." Since then, he's done nothing to change my first impression.

Eh.. I think you can play a Bosh-type offensive player at C nowadays. In fact I think that's a huge plus. Bosh was a very underrated defender.. but he wasnt a strong rebounder or screen setter, which is usually what we want out of the C position. So Wiseman is a bit of a wonky fit here, unless he can be good enough at those things that what he's good at (scoring) is more gravy than anything

If I had to make the call now, I'd be aggressively shopping him in the offseason. Only problem is, we just lost our most valuable salary slotting to pair with him. So now, if we do pair Wiseman with Wiggins, we have to eat the negative value associated with Wiggins.

A lot of faith is being placed on our talent evaluation with high picks (Wiseman, MIN 1st) and Kerr's ability to coax meaningful impact out of them. Its not the bet I'd make, for sure
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#34 » by Coxy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:06 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Coxy got it right :) :

Lol, something smelt like rotten fish when we made that signing. My gut feeling was right.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#35 » by shazam_guy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:09 pm

This is actually a Wiseman response, not about Wanamaker, but I'm going with the flow here.

The traditional center isn't a big deal in today's NBA, so no, Wiseman probably isn't going to be that. But a seven footer with a nice offensive touch and huge wingspan who can move and run the floor -- they'll always be a place for that. And that's where he's going, and where the Ws want him to go, as far as I can see.

The Warriors management doesn't seem to be prejudging where he should "fit". They have a kid with a huge potential upside, and they're letting him show where he needs to improve -- lots of places. But I'm pretty sure they're not grooming him to be the next Zaza or Bogut. The Warriors center has been plug and play for years now, because that's how they're set up. But they've never had a 7-footer like Wiseman, however young and raw, and so they seem to be waiting to see if they can build the team of the future around him.

Most Wiseman arguments have been pretty useless. It's either "trade him now so we can win right now" or "He's got problems -- trade him before anyone else sees that."

They were never going to do that. I doubt they'll do that in the next year either, and they seem to have made that pretty clear. So can we move on to talking about his game and how the team can play with, around, and (eventually) through him?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:30 pm

shazam_guy wrote:They were never going to do that. I doubt they'll do that in the next year either, and they seem to have made that pretty clear. So can we move on to talking about his game and how the team can play with, around, and (eventually) through him?

This is what you hope. You keep chastising people for doing the same thing as you, but you are certain about what the Warriors FO does, because they've said it in press releases.

Just like they said DLo was going to be a long-term piece, not a trade asset
Just like how they were keeping Barnes and matching offers on him
Just like how they were keeping JRich

and a million other times when the Warriors PR said one thing and they did another. Whether you agree or not, the discourse that Wiseman can be shopped/will be shopped/won't be shopped is legitimate at all 3 prongs and if you are looking for a place where there is nothing but positivity and blind support for everything the W's do, I'll see if I can get a global mod to allow you and twinkie to do some PMing or something, I dunno

But there is legitimate concern about Wiseman's fit with the team considering where we're at, something that's not unique to us and has happened across many teams throughout the NBA. Some who have kept the young player(s), some who have not.

We are absolutely in a spot where any 3 options are viable. I have a very definitive position on Oubre - and I'll talk **** to the high heavens to anyone who wants to keep him. But it is absolutely a viable potential option, as much as I'd hate it
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Post#37 » by Outside » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:57 pm

Some guys work out, some don't. Just the way it goes. I was hopeful that Wanamaker would be a solid backup who could play D, be a playmaker for the bench, and shoot threes at an acceptable rate. Two out of three would've been fine, but that's not what we got.

We discussed in a recent thread (don't remember which one) that some guys don't adapt to the Warriors' offensive scheme. Many guys have played since elementary school in structured systems with set plays, and not everyone can adapt to a read-and-react offense. I brought up Omri Casspi as an example of a guy that I thought was a great pickup but never fit. Guys who can adapt to fit here can flourish, and guys who can't will look worse. Wanamaker will likely do better elsewhere.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:00 pm

I think I gave the signing an A+ because I did, and do, love the name. Lends itself to a lot of nicknames
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#39 » by HiRez » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:10 pm

FNQ wrote:

I mean you could be right about the reason but the fact remains that he's had and continues to have some trouble catching the ball, although to me it's more concerning that he has trouble getting to and securing rebounds than zipped passes. With passes, yeah, he needs to learn to expect passes (with Draymond and Steph pretty much at all times) so that could just be awareness. With rebounds, he's aware when they go up, but he watches instead of being proactive. Except for the longer 3 point line, balls come off the rim the same way in the NBA that they do in college, or high school. I think he's been a smidge better lately, although it's hard to keep track of with all the times he's been in and out of the lineup. But he needs to get both smarter and more aggressive going after boards, and really aggressive securing them because I think the word is out in the league now that you can get those balls loose from him pretty easily, if not jet in front of him and deny him a touch in the first place.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#40 » by cdubbz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:23 pm

Old_Blue wrote:My best guess now is that the Warriors look to resign Oubre. Once Klay is ready, they'll look to trade Wiggins for an experienced center. At that point, Wiggins would only have approximately $50 million left on his deal. So, moving his contract won't be a monumental lift.

I’d keep Wiggins. We need wing depth. I’d only get a vet center at minimum. We have to commit to Wiseman if we’re keeping him going forward.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to Golden State Warriors