ImageImageImageImageImage

Where is this spiraling season heading for the struggling Warriors?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#1 » by sonnyhill » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Anthony Slater wrote the following (very balanced) article for The Athletic on 3/26/2021, and he points out some serious issues about defensive effort (Poole and Wiseman).

Perhaps the most disturbing part of the article was Steve Kerr's quote (disrespectful to veterans like Curry, Green (even, Looney); the ownership group, and us loyal fans) about Wiseman: "“I just want him to have fun..." WTF? How about setting the bar a bit higher than just having "fun?" Fun? How about wanting Wiseman to show improvement? How about putting some onus on the coaching staff to work with the kid on his many deficiencies? Kerr, by infantilizing Wiseman, is showing poor leadership skills.

By Anthony Slater Mar 26, 2021

Jordan Poole, starting at point guard across from Trae Young but defensively assigned to a less threatening wing, Bogdan Bogdanovic, was beat on a simple cut twice in the opening minutes. The second time, on an underneath inbound, Bogdanovic faked left and Poole was fooled, allowing him to glide right for the type of easy cut and layup you typically don’t get against set, semi-alert NBA defenses.

The first time, on Atlanta’s fourth possession, he trailed Bogdanovic around a double screen on the perimeter, not breaking a jog. Bogdanovic, who wasn’t running all that quickly himself, just curled, caught a simple bounce pass from Young and deposited two points at practice speed. Here’s the clip:

;t=7s&ab_channel=AnthonySlater

Rewatch that clip. That’s not just a half-effort from Poole; it’s zero physicality from James Wiseman as Bogdanovic enters his area, and there’s not even a semblance of rotational help from Kelly Oubre Jr. or Draymond Green, the team’s defensive eraser. Andrew Wiggins, the fifth defender, isn’t into the ball. That lack of team-wide effort set the tone in the Warriors’ 124-108 home loss to the Hawks.

This season is spiraling on the Warriors. Their offense wasn’t great even when Stephen Curry was healthy, and it’s league-worst when he’s off the floor. Their defense was great earlier in the season but has plummeted in recent weeks because of a shift in personnel but also a loss of recent desire. They still rank ninth on the season but have been 23rd in March.

A bottom-10 offense plus a bottom-10 defense equals a lottery team. The Warriors are playing and acting like a lottery team right now. They are 3-8 in their past 11 games and 1-6 without Curry, and they have fallen to 22-24 on the season, only one game in the loss column ahead of the Kings, Pelicans and Thunder, putting them in imminent danger of losing their spot in the postseason play-in tournament.

Curry has been ruled out for Monday’s game against the Bulls. There’s optimism he could return on the road trip out East that follows. If he doesn’t reappear quickly and shift the team’s mood and direction, it might be time for the front office to start planning for a second lottery pick. Maybe that’s ultimately the best long-term course for a franchise that has monumental roster decisions ahead of it this summer and could use any extra asset value to aid that reconstruction.

But that line of thinking ignores how much a second straight non-playoff season would wear on the work environment in the final couple of months. Losing is miserable in the NBA, especially for established winners like Green and Curry, who apparently gave impassioned postgame speeches after the Atlanta loss, telling everyone to look at themselves in the mirror and ask what they could be doing better, according to Kevon Looney.

Curry has an important extension decision to make this summer in regards to his future. Green tends to check out if the competitive stakes aren’t there. He was feeling ill Saturday and played anyway but didn’t attempt a shot, didn’t score, committed four turnovers and four fouls in 27 minutes, then didn’t talk to the press after the game. His production, effort, value and positive impact on his younger teammates could dissipate if the playoffs disappear from the team’s grasp.

That could be particularly harmful for Wiseman, the talented teenager who has been far better and flashed more promise in his rookie season in those moments when he appears to be having fun.

“I just want him to have fun,” Steve Kerr said after the game.

When a play or two goes poorly, a bad night tends to snowball on Wiseman. When he misses a couple of early shots, his defense gets worse. When the Warriors are getting pummeled, he hangs his head. Think of his best games this season — the dunkfests against the Spurs and Hornets, the 25-pointer against the Wolves, an early season crunch of the Kings — and the Warriors were always winning.

He brightens and performs better when the entire team is humming. Most rookies do. Most players do. Losing is an emotional drag. So a terrible finish might jump the Warriors something like eight spots in the draft, but that might not be worth the deterioration in development that could be attached. It’d be a benefit for Wiseman and Poole to experience higher-stakes basketball and the effort and execution it takes to win in those moments.

But the Warriors can’t just snap their fingers and create a five-game winning streak that reverses the season’s momentum and boosts confidence.

“We have to dig ourselves out of this,” Kerr said.

A mostly soft schedule is out in front of them. Curry will be back soon. That should inject Green with more energy. But the Warriors aren’t an elite team that can just rely on its star-level talent returning and everything stabilizing. Even at its healthiest, Golden State is still a mid-tier team that must win on extra effort and focus. It must outwork opponents.

Lately, the Warriors have been jogging into their offensive sets, missing defensive rotations, floating passes into danger, leaving shooters and just making odd mistakes that seem to compound on one another. I mean, below are just two of about 20 blunders to choose from against the Hawks. These kinds of unforced, I-don’t-want-to-be-here mistakes remind me of the 15-50 team from a season ago.

;ab_channel=AnthonySlater

;ab_channel=AnthonySlater
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Re: Where is this spiraling season heading for the struggling Warriors? 

Post#2 » by Old_Blue » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:47 pm

Your post was very wordy and I have a short attention span. So, I only read the first two sentences. However, I agree with Kerr. The season is shot. May as well let the young 'uns have some fun out there.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#3 » by xdrta+ » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:01 pm

I didn't think anyone could be surprised that they're losing without Curry. And I'm not so sure it's because of effort, it could be that they're not very good.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#4 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:05 pm

Spiraling towards trading for Kevin Love LMAO
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
BBQ Thurmond
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#5 » by BBQ Thurmond » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:02 am

sonnyhill wrote:Steve Kerr's quote about Wiseman: "“I just want him to have fun..."

I am new to the board and am a huge Kerr fan. Yet, I find the quote about Wiseman as an encapsulation of this whole season.

Has Kerr completely given up on player development, and is he trying to deflect away the seriousness of how badly the #2 pick in this past year's draft is playing?

If Kerr has given up on taking seriously Wiseman's development, are we to conclude that Kerr has also given up on this season, too? If so, Kerr minimally needs to be taken to the woodshed by both Myers and Lacob. Or, is this an organizational problem where Myers and Lacob believe in losing is OK as long as everyone is having fun?
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#6 » by tarantism » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:09 am

People are so funny. Kerr probably just wants Wiseman to play loose. I'm sure he's disappointed and stressed - it's been a rough rookie season. He's probably pressing a bit and getting down on himself.

But does anybody seriously think that Kerr saying that means that they are not working on *any* other aspects of his development? Because Kerr said he wants Wiseman to have fun? Really? Seriously...?

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#7 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:26 am

Actually I think we are about to see a big run.

Curry out helped give some run/minutes to Wiggins and Poole....

They will come back healthy and I think they'll go on a nice run.

I think they get into the play in tourney and only have to win one game...and they end up winning second.

I think they get into a 1-8 game against Utah and Utah completely chokes...Warriors win the series 4-1.

Warriors get bounced in second round.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,663

Post#8 » by Coxy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:37 am

tarantism wrote:People are so funny. Kerr probably just wants Wiseman to play loose. I'm sure he's disappointed and stressed - it's been a rough rookie season. He's probably pressing a bit and getting down on himself.

But does anybody seriously think that Kerr saying that means that they are not working on *any* other aspects of his development? Because Kerr said he wants Wiseman to have fun? Really? Seriously...?

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

Exactly. I think Jimmy Wise is in danger of losing joy for the game if he is over coached at 19 to be a savious, and ridiculed heavily after every game. Over coaching can turn players into robots, I love that Steve wants him to know just go out nd play with some joy, mistakes and all.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by sonnyhill » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Actually I think we are about to see a big run.

I think they get into the play in tourney and only have to win one game...and they end up winning second.

I think they get into a 1-8 game against Utah and Utah completely chokes...Warriors win the series 4-1.

ILOVEIT, I love your optimism.

The easier part of the schedule is now, and if this team is going to make a run, it should be now.

Is Wiseman a lost cause for this season, and if the team is fighting to be in the playoffs, does it make sense to give significant minutes to a player who only has the expectation of "having fun?" I am afraid that Kerr is being passive-aggressive with the front office and the organizational conflict he may be having; the front office drafted Wiseman at #2 and expects him to play; Curry and Green with their shelf-life may want to and expect to win now.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#10 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:55 am

sonnyhill wrote:

The easier part of the schedule is now, and if this team is going to make a run, it should be now.

Is Wiseman a lost cause for this season, and if the team is fighting to be in the playoffs, does it make sense to give significant minutes to a player who only has the expectation of "having fun?" I am afraid that Kerr is being passive-aggressive with the front office and the organizational conflict he may be having; the front office drafted Wiseman at #2 and expects him to play; Curry and Green with their shelf-life may want to and expect to win now.

Well here is the deal....
If Warriors with Curry, Draymond, Wiggins and Obre and the rest CONTINUE get blown out....and Warriors don't make the playoffs.

Then just adding Klay won't fix that... Especially to any level of championship.

I think if Warrior continue like they have been....you have to make dramatic changes.

That includes trading Draymond....Wolves pick...Wiggins...all of it...to get one high impact star.

But I'm HOPING that Warriors have gone through enough to rally together and do well down the stretch.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#11 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:57 am

Coxy wrote: Over coaching can turn players into robots,

you really do stan for Dray 24-7 don't you?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Coxy
RealGM

Post#12 » by Coxy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:28 am

Sleepy51 wrote:

I don't know what that means. English please Sleep.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#13 » by shazam_guy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:35 am

Of course Kerr wants Wiseman to "have fun" -- the kid's getting plenty of coaching and he's overthinking sometimes. Management don't want to ruin his confidence, though they do want him to play and learn. But of course, some people here want him to be benched for some incomprehensible reason, so we have a better chance of a playoff run this year.

But this year's team is not a winning team. It's completely dependent on Steph being healthy and having good games. Any playoff push will come at the expense of the better team we'll almost certainly put out next year.

Over and over and effing over, we hear the same argument. It would be one thing if the folks on our side were just -guessing- that the Warriors are playing for the future, not for win-now-at-all-costs, but the team pretty much already said so. So it's just a complaint by people who think they know better than the team what the team should do. Which is fine -- free speech and all that -- but it's sure boring after hearing a whole season of it.

If you don't want to watch the Warriors rebuild, may I suggest gardening or learning how to make your own knitwear? Because you seem to need a hobby.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#14 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:00 am

Coxy wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

Sounded like you were channelling Draynond's "Im not a robot" rant, which was one of the more dumbassed things he's said

Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Coxy
RealGM

Post#15 » by Coxy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:04 am

Sleepy51 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

Sounded like you were channelling Draynond's "Im not a robot" rant, which was one of the more dumbassed things he's said

I've never heard that rant. Doesn't suprise me though, Draymond and I are both geniuses walking amongst plebs.
BBQ Thurmond
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#16 » by BBQ Thurmond » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:56 am

shazam_guy wrote:Of course Kerr wants Wiseman to "have fun" -- the kid's getting plenty of coaching and he's overthinking sometimes. Management don't want to ruin his confidence, though they do want him to play and learn. But of course, some people here want him to be benched for some incomprehensible reason, so we have a better chance of a playoff run this year.

But this year's team is not a winning team. It's completely dependent on Steph being healthy and having good games. Any playoff push will come at the expense of the better team we'll almost certainly put out next year.

Over and over and effing over, we hear the same argument. It would be one thing if the folks on our side were just -guessing- that the Warriors are playing for the future, not for win-now-at-all-costs, but the team pretty much already said so. So it's just a complaint by people who think they know better than the team what the team should do. Which is fine -- free speech and all that -- but it's sure boring after hearing a whole season of it.

If you don't want to watch the Warriors rebuild, may I suggest gardening or learning how to make your own knitwear? Because you seem to need a hobby.

I do not see anyone advocating benching Wiseman.

Winning should be the most fun thing that players experience and winning requires correction and improvement.

I am worried that Steve Kerr might be similar to a Phil Jackson, a coach who can succeed with the most talented roster in the league, but struggles to get the team to mediocrity when he does not have an overwhelming talent advantage. Steve Kerr maybe is not the right person to be on the sideline with a rebuilding team. I am rooting for this year's team and for Kerr to right the ship and get it back on course.

The video posted by Slater showing how Poole gave a half-hearted attempt on the defensive side of the court combined with the rebounding error does not look fun for anyone except for the Sixers. Minimally, Kerr has to get his team to play hard.

Oubre has been the object of much criticism. Oubre does play hard throughout the whole game. Kerr has to demand the same effort from both Poole and Wiseman.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by sonnyhill » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:23 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:

Well here is the deal....
If Warriors with Curry, Draymond, Wiggins and Obre and the rest CONTINUE get blown out....and Warriors don't make the playoffs.

Then just adding Klay won't fix that... Especially to any level of championship.

I think if Warrior continue like they have been....you have to make dramatic changes.

That includes trading Draymond....Wolves pick...Wiggins...all of it...to get one high impact star.

But I'm HOPING that Warriors have gone through enough to rally together and do well down the stretch.

Your analysis is spot-on, correct.

Does Myers have the ability to go full-scale Danny Ainge and trade away Curry, Klay and Green (similar to how the Celtics either traded or let go Garnett, Pierce, and Allen) if it is determined that this core three cannot get the team back to competing for championships? It would be better to get ahead of the curve than to try to hold onto the illusion of "hope." Or, does Myers go Kupchak, give Curry an outrageous contract extension and the team stays stuck in mediocrity?

Other than the Knicks (where Tom Thibodeau loves grittiness), the Heat (another gritty team), and perhaps the Celtics (need a complimentary player who can play defense), is there really a market in the league for Green?

Curry could get the Warriors a huge haul of players and draft picks (I could see the Pelicans packaging Ingram, Lonzo and three #1 picks to have Curry play alongside Zion).

Klay is the wildcard and may not be tradeable because of the injuries (although, Houston did the deal to get an injured Wall).

We may be forced to keep Wiggins for next season because of the contract; yet, with 2-years left, he might be tradeable.

With Minnesota's pick (l wish that it wasn't protected) and the Warriors pick), a haul of picks for Curry, combined with a developing Wiseman, Ingram, Lonzo, Poole, Klay and maybe Wiggins, the Warriors could rebuild with a combination of young players, veterans and future draft picks.

One other question, could you see Oubre playing a stretch 4? With his athleticism, length, and ability to both play defense and get to the basket on the offensive end, Oubre may be an improvement over Green (my sentimental favorite player on the roster). Sadly, the decline in Draymond's offense and his volatility may have made Draymond very expendable.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#18 » by and1GS » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 am

I may be the only person to believe this, but I'd prefer we pay Curry whatever he wants (unless he has a precipitous decline, then you work on a lower figure) and only trade him if he demands out. He's a warrior legend and we should treat him like one, even if it doesn't 'maximize value.'

As for this year, yeh it's a wash. I watched the Atlanta game and it was absolutely atrocious. A lot of poor reads on defense, horrible backline support from James and a total lack of confidence on offense. However, if you want to play the long game sometimes you have to.....play the long game. That means losing in the short term to develop potential rotational players or assets (picks and the young guys).

It would be great if we squeezed into the 8th seed, but I think it's also great if we bottom out and force Poole/Wise to understand what owning your defensive failures means - gathering a higher pick in the process. Best case for me would be ending around the 9/10 seed with solid progress from the young guys while preserving our higher draft odds. If we fall 2 more spots we literally double our chances at a top 3 pick.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#19 » by WarriorGM » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:37 am

and1GS wrote:I may be the only person to believe this, but I'd prefer we pay Curry whatever he wants (unless he has a precipitous decline, then you work on a lower figure) and only trade him if he demands out. He's a warrior legend and we should treat him like one, even if it doesn't 'maximize value.'

Is this even supposed to be a take?

Curry gets whatever he wants. Anyone opposed to that should be fired or turn in their fan card.

All superstars are underpaid and Curry being Curry is automatically underpaid. The team can only maximize its value with him. Any idea to the contrary is idiotic.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#20 » by and1GS » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:24 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
and1GS wrote:I may be the only person to believe this, but I'd prefer we pay Curry whatever he wants (unless he has a precipitous decline, then you work on a lower figure) and only trade him if he demands out. He's a warrior legend and we should treat him like one, even if it doesn't 'maximize value.'

Is this even supposed to be a take?

Curry gets whatever he wants. Anyone opposed to that should be fired or turn in their fan card.

All superstars are underpaid and Curry being Curry is automatically underpaid. The team can only maximize its value with him. Any idea to the contrary is idiotic.

The poster literally right above me was advocating a Curry trade: "Curry could get the Warriors a huge haul of players and draft picks (I could see the Pelicans packaging Ingram, Lonzo and three #1 picks to have Curry play alongside Zion)."
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in

Return to Golden State Warriors