No even if they throw in a FRP
44%

Total votes: 9

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Hindsight: Dlo for Drummond 

Post#1 » by cdubbz » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:12 am

I was down for the idea of trading Dlo for Drummond last season. A big double-double Center threat on the Warriors securing the boards. He's a big body that does his job every night on the glass.

This would have allowed Warriors to move away from Wiseman in the draft & draft Edwards or Lamelo. Maybe Detoit gives us a FRP too idk.

In hindsight do you guys think Drummond would have fit better than Wiggins?
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Re: Hindsight: Dlo for Drummond 

Post#2 » by tarantism » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:18 am

Well first of all, in no scenario could they have drafted Edwards.

The draw to the Minnesota trade was the pick. Hard to imagine that Detroit gives up their first round pick, with equally light protection. Wiggins was considered such a toxic asset that we were able to fleece Minnesota, who also valued DLo more more any other team in the league because of KAT.

Also Drummond isn't good. There's a reason he keeps getting dumped for next to nothing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#3 » by Coxy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:26 am

Sure, yes.

However, if we are talking hindsight, then I'd be trading back with Sac for their pick and another 1st round pick for the #2 pick, and then take Haliburton.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#4 » by and1GS » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:43 am

Nah. Andre is a net negative and until he accepts that his role is catch ball, dunk ball, rebound ball, block ball he will continue to be an unhelpful player. And with that FT%, he's not closing any games.

I don't think we would have gotten a first with him either, but let's say we get a top 15 protected pick. That plus a potentially valuable, but extremely rough around the edges, wealthy man's JaVale seems like a bad return.

As another poster pointed out, we really got lucky that Minny was so DLo obsessed.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#5 » by cdubbz » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:51 am

Coxy wrote:Sure, yes.

However, if we are talking hindsight, then I'd be trading back with Sac for their pick and another 1st round pick for the #2 pick, and then take Haliburton.

Yeah. I'm sure the Kings would have done that and loved to pair Wiseman with Bagley and Fox.

A guard heavy draft and we draft the Center. Will need to revisit this in a few seasons.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#6 » by cdubbz » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:54 am

and1GS wrote:Nah. Andre is a net negative and until he accepts that his role is catch ball, dunk ball, rebound ball, block ball he will continue to be an unhelpful player. And with that FT%, he's not closing any games.

I don't think we would have gotten a first with him either, but let's say we get a top 15 protected pick. That plus a potentially valuable, but extremely rough around the edges, wealthy man's JaVale seems like a bad return.

As another poster pointed out, we really got lucky that Minny was so DLo obsessed.

Has Drummond not accepted that as his role?! I haven't seen news of him being a toxic teammate demanding to be the start.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#7 » by and1GS » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:14 am

cdubbz wrote:
and1GS wrote:Nah. Andre is a net negative and until he accepts that his role is catch ball, dunk ball, rebound ball, block ball he will continue to be an unhelpful player. And with that FT%, he's not closing any games.

Has Drummond not accepted that as his role?! I haven't seen news of him being a toxic teammate demanding to be the start.

I mean, he's top 5 in the NBA in post ups per game and frequency of post ups. Then outside the top 50 in points per possession and scoring frequency. So no, I don't think he has accepted that role yet. I will have to see it to believe it, just like with Wiggins this year. Worth a gamble as a buy-out, absolutely. But for a player with real value like DLo? Eh.

And to be clear, I never said he was a toxic teammate. By all accounts Corey Maggette was a pretty cool teammate. Doesn't mean all that much.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#8 » by cdubbz » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:35 am

and1GS wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

I mean, he's top 5 in the NBA in post ups per game and frequency of post ups. Then outside the top 50 in points per possession and scoring frequency. So no, I don't think he has accepted that role yet. I will have to see it to believe it, just like with Wiggins this year. Worth a gamble as a buy-out, absolutely. But for a player with real value like DLo? Eh.

And to be clear, I never said he was a toxic teammate. By all accounts Corey Maggette was a pretty cool teammate. Doesn't mean all that much.

Yeah I know. Just was making it a point I never heard of Drummond being toxic. I don’t think he doesn’t accept his role either which is why I brought up he’s not toxic.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#9 » by and1GS » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:42 am

cdubbz wrote:
and1GS wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

Yeah I know. Just was making it a point I never heard of Drummond being toxic. I don’t think he doesn’t accept his role either which is why I brought up he’s not toxic.

Ah, gotcha. Yeh I think it's less of 'are you a starter or a bench player' and more an ask of him to significantly change his game. He would need to cut out almost everything he has done on offense his whole career and accept that his best value is as a pogo stick that sets picks. It's a big mentality shift. Took Dwight ages to do it, but looked great in that role with LAL last year.

I'm just saying it's not easy, and it's honestly asking a lot of Andre who probably still views himself as a max player. That new role would actively play him out of more $$ in the future while playing himself into playoff rotations. From his perspective, I'd assume that's a very difficult decision to make.

shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#10 » by shazam_guy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:40 pm

Yeah, of course. Drummond has made his team championship-caliber everywhere he's gone.

Oh, wait, no. He hasn't. Because he's a limited player.

I think Wiggins was -- and still is -- a better gamble. DLo was take-what-you-can-get.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#11 » by cdubbz » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:52 pm

shazam_guy wrote:Yeah, of course. Drummond has made his team championship-caliber everywhere he's gone.

Oh, wait, no. He hasn't. Because he's a limited player.

I think Wiggins was -- and still is -- a better gamble. DLo was take-what-you-can-get.

I guess I’m in the minority here. But Drummond is a lock for 13-16rpg and AT LEAST 14 points. Not many centers can do that every game.

I don’t care if Drummond has never elevated his team because he’s not offensively gifted to run an offense like Embiid or Jokic. he’s joining a team with superstars and adding his skill set of gobbling up rebounds and paint points. Draymond would have a legit big to back him up and on defense.

To each their own
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#12 » by FNQ » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:56 pm

Absolutely not because it erases the pick

But are we sure the W's dont draft Wiseman anyway? Drummond is not someone you hitch your wagon to, and we'd still need a long-term C. And we wouldnt have the MIN pick either. Past 2 years have been pretty meaningless so.. hard no here.

If the Pistons threw in their 1st (top 3 protected, I'd assume) then the answer is hell yes. But I dont think it changes our 2020 draft whatsoever.

Imagine if the Wolves didnt have DLo right now.. and they're still in the situation they're in. Would they trade Wiggins away (who would still have 2-60 on his contract) for Drummond, and add some draft compensation? Maybe.. but this all hinges on the idea that the Pistons would want DLo, and I really doubt that that's possible
kingcong95
Junior
And1: 129

Post#13 » by kingcong95 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:36 pm

I mean, they probably were looking for a PG of the future before drafting Hayes and Lee. But I find it hard to believe DLO was what they were looking for, since they never made us a formal offer at the last deadline and could have at least tried to beat the expirings and fringe prospects the Knicks were offering.

Return to Golden State Warriors