ImageImageImageImageImage

The Draymond-KD Blowup [article]

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

The Draymond-KD Blowup [article] 

Post#1 » by HiRez » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:18 pm

Kevin Durant and Draymond Green Discuss Parking Lot Call Rumor, Infamous On-Court Confrontation

More detail about that incident (at least that I've seen).

In the latest episode of Kevin Durant’s podcast The ETCs, Draymond Green and his former teammate cleared the air about their infamous on court confrontation, and the rumor that two weeks before Durant announced he was signing with the Golden State Warriors, the two spoke with one another while a tearful Green was still in the Oracle Arena parking lot following Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals.

On that heated exchange, which unfolded during a 2018 game against the Los Angeles Clippers, Green described nearly verbatim what was said between the two. After Durant scolded Green for not passing him the ball, Green said “Hey, motherf*cker I do this too! I was going to give your ass the ball if you weren’t bitching! I do this too!”

That’s when DeMarcus Cousins pulled Green away, and told him to “shut the f*ck up.”

“No, that’s bull,” Green responded. “Nobody says **** to K. All he had to do was f*cking run, and I would have pitched him the f*cking ball back.” Durant basically corroborated Green’s account of the incident, proving that despite their pasts, the two players are still on good terms.

This totally confirms the view I've always had on this, which is that, despite Draymond botching the end of it, he didn't pass to KD because time was running out and KD was just sitting there way in the back court clapping for the ball, instead of hustling his ass back down. He should have known by then that Draymond was going to get him the ball if he put himself in position. By the time KD starts running, there's less than 3 seconds left and KD is still 80 feet from the basket. 100% on him IMO and I don't blame Draymond for his reaction.

Also, Draymond's tweet on "young players" is interesting:

They soft as hell. I’ve found myself trying to talk **** to some of these young dudes that won’t talk,” he said. “And they’re like trying to be a friend. That’s what these young dudes do nowadays. I don’t understand it.

One wonders if Wiseman is included...I suspect so.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: The Draymond-KD Blowup [article] 

Post#2 » by FNQ » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:18 pm

This will be ignored, people need to hate Draymond for some reason

Everyone thought KD-Dray was the drama.. I cant wait for the tell-all book someone writes.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#3 » by WarriorGM » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:48 pm

FNQ wrote:This will be ignored, people need to hate Draymond for some reason

Everyone thought KD-Dray was the drama.. I cant wait for the tell-all book someone writes.

Well if this wasn't the drama, what was?
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#4 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:14 pm

HiRez wrote:
They soft as hell. I’ve found myself trying to talk **** to some of these young dudes that won’t talk,” he said. “And they’re like trying to be a friend. That’s what these young dudes do nowadays. I don’t understand it.

He certainly could be including JW in the group, but he has been SO supportive of Wise and seems to have a pretty good perspective on JW's value to the franchise, either on the court or in trade that I don't think he would be badmouthing the 19 year old that he has been playing big brother to on the court. That would be a highly toxic move. I do think Dray is a better dude than that.

Poole however did give an interview recently where he talked about being on the other end of this and how when he finally started barking back at Dray their relationship changed for the better. Depending on the timing of Dray's reference this might be referencing Poole prior to Poole standing up for himself.

That said, get over yourself dude. Your trashtalking way isn't the only way and frankly doesn't mean dick all. Tim Duncan would not have talked to you either, he just would have dropped 20 on your head. Charles Oakley wouldn't have said a word to you until he told you he was going to slap you in the face. "These guys are too soft to talk trash to me" is about the lowest IQ thing to come out of Dray's mouth since he told Women's basketball players to "stop complaining and do something about it"

Where is the ignore button for Dray?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#5 » by HiRez » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:40 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
HiRez wrote:

He certainly could be including JW in the group, but he has been SO supportive of Wise and seems to have a pretty good perspective on JW's value to the franchise, either on the court or in trade that I don't think he would be badmouthing the 19 year old that he has been playing big brother to on the court. That would be a highly toxic move. I do think Dray is a better dude than that.

Poole however did give an interview recently where he talked about being on the other end of this and how when he finally started barking back at Dray their relationship changed for the better. Depending on the timing of Dray's reference this might be referencing Poole prior to Poole standing up for himself.

That said, get over yourself dude. Your trashtalking way isn't the only way and frankly doesn't mean dick all. Tim Duncan would not have talked to you either, he just would have dropped 20 on your head. Charles Oakley wouldn't have said a word to you until he told you he was going to slap you in the face. "These guys are too soft to talk trash to me" is about the lowest IQ thing to come out of Dray's mouth since he told Women's basketball players to "stop complaining and do something about it"

I took it a little less literally, like not so much "he wouldn't trash talk with me" but more "don't try to be my friend when we're on the court, be angry, be tough, be the enemy until the buzzer sounds". In other words, have the passion to win and dominate your opponent. But yeah, I agree, clearly Draymond goes off into the ridiculous at times.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#6 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:54 pm

HiRez wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
HiRez wrote:

I took it a little less literally, like not so much "he wouldn't trash talk with me" but more "don't try to be my friend when we're on the court, be angry, be tough, be the enemy until the buzzer sounds". In other words, have the passion to win and dominate your opponent. But yeah, I agree, clearly Draymond goes off into the ridiculous at times.

There was another interview that drifted into this subject and Dray was buffooning on about how if guys talk trash they are showing that they will have your back "when something goes down." What the f :censored: are you talking about dude? Nothing is going to "go down." Aint nobody brawling out here in 2021. Gilbert Arenas ain't brining his guns into the locker room anymore. At worst, Lebron might slowly drag his nuts across your chin. You are not in any physical danger in an NBA arena requiring guys to "have your back if 'it' goes down."

I let it slide at the time because I really didn't want to nit pick everything he says, but everything he says that straya beyond the X's and O's of basketball tends to turn stupid if he talks for long enough.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#7 » by floppymoose » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:27 am

Plus Curry, Lebron, Durant, Kobe have all proved that you can have very different root personalities and still be a champion. They all have incredible talent and incredible drive and otherwise are pretty different.

There isn't a one size fits all for how you have to act and feel on the court. Or off.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:35 am

WarriorGM wrote:
FNQ wrote:This will be ignored, people need to hate Draymond for some reason

Well if this wasn't the drama, what was?

who knows
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#9 » by sonnyhill » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:26 am

The ETCs with Kevin Durant hosting Draymond Green:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/draymond-green/id1532060379?i=1000516251718

Fascinating conversation.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#10 » by cdubbz » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:29 pm

Draymond calls out past players for criticizing him, yet does the same on younger players. Cool Draymond.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
SamuraiAttack
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#11 » by SamuraiAttack » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:43 pm

Okay, so if Draymond and KD are seemingly cool and this was just a one-off, then this confirms what we probably already knew. KD left b/c he either: 1. Didn't agree with Kerr's offensive philosophies and/or 2. He couldn't handle not being crowned as the best player on the team/most loved and didn't want to be in Curry's shadow.
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#12 » by SAKURABA216 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:48 pm

cdubbz wrote:Draymond calls out past players for criticizing him, yet does the same on younger players. Cool Draymond.

You should check out the podcast. KD acknowledged the hypocrisy of their criticisms when he said "We sound like f-ing Barkley and Clyde..." Overall, they both acknowledged that there's more talent in the league right now then there's ever been. Dray seems to think that the young players are too friendly to one another for the sake of their Instagram accounts and should show more fire when competing.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:29 pm

SamuraiAttack wrote:Okay, so if Draymond and KD are seemingly cool and this was just a one-off, then this confirms what we probably already knew. KD left b/c he either: 1. Didn't agree with Kerr's offensive philosophies and/or 2. He couldn't handle not being crowned as the best player on the team/most loved and didn't want to be in Curry's shadow.

It's always been #2. And can you blame him? He's a generational talent and he wanted to win a title on HIS team, not someone else's. LeBron did the exact same thing - he came to Wade's team, won a couple titles, then went back to HIS team, and won another. Legacy cemented.

If people want to think its Kerr or KD, or some combo of the two, go for it.. its just confirmation bias.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#14 » by cdubbz » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:30 am

SAKURABA216 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:Draymond calls out past players for criticizing him, yet does the same on younger players. Cool Draymond.

You should check out the podcast. KD acknowledged the hypocrisy of their criticisms when he said "We sound like f-ing Barkley and Clyde..." Overall, they both acknowledged that there's more talent in the league right now then there's ever been. Dray seems to think that the young players are too friendly to one another for the sake of their Instagram accounts and should show more fire when competing.

Yeah I checked the pod out after my comment. Great listen.

I get it’s a generational thing too — these young guys will say the same thing when they’re 30 about the incoming guys.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to Golden State Warriors