ImageImageImageImageImage

Let's say we don't get the Wolves pick this year

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

If the Wolves keep their '21 pick, where should their '22 pick fall?

1-3
13%
4-6
33%
7-10
33%
10-14
7%
15-20
13%
25-30
No votes

Total votes: 15

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Let's say we don't get the Wolves pick this year 

Post#1 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 pm

Let's, for a brief moment in time, suppose the ping pong balls give us bad luck at the next draft, and the Wolves keep their pick.

Then next season, as everyone and their mothers know, we get their unprotected pick.

Thus, they would be a chance at Cade/Mobley/Suggs/Green.

Adding one of them to a core of KAT, Edwards, DLO, Beasley, (maybe) Rubio, McDaniels, Okogie and others might make them a much improved team, with a much clearer pecking order.

So, my question is, in that scenario, are the Wolves a playoff team?

Would they be improved enough, mainly in defense, to compete for a spot?

Or are the other West teams simply on another level?
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Re: Let's say we don't get the Wolves pick this year 

Post#2 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:59 pm

I thought they would be good this year with Edwards lol. If they get Mobley they could be a pretty well balanced team. If they get Cade, they would have an awesome backcourt duo with Cade + Ant-man with Towns in the middle. But again, its the T-Wolves we are talking about and they will find a way to lose. They are like the Detroit Lions in that they are so used to losing that they don't put up much resistance and accept that they are likely going to lose around half-time.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#3 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:16 pm

they're still going to be terrible
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#4 » by and1GS » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm

Not a playoff team. Probably about where the Kings are now.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#5 » by tal57 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:15 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:they're still going to be terrible

Don't underestimate the change of ownership with the Wolves. Either the group or individual billionaire buying the NBA team these days is absolutely flushed with cash. That new group or the guy buying the team languishing in very bad PR may want to spare no expense in immediately changing the team's image. If I understand correctly, the only expensive guys on the roster are Towns and DLo. If they make creative moves, maybe shed Rubio's salary, they may have room to go on the FA shopping spree. Get one or two of those who fit and with the two back to back very high draft pics they may suddenly become much better next year than we perceive they will be.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#6 » by and1GS » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:59 pm

tal57 wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:they're still going to be terrible

Don't underestimate the change of ownership with the Wolves. Either the group or individual billionaire buying the NBA team these days is absolutely flushed with cash. That new group or the guy buying the team languishing in very bad PR may want to spare no expense in immediately changing the team's image. If I understand correctly, the only expensive guys on the roster are Towns and DLo. If they make creative moves, maybe shed Rubio's salary, they may have room to go on the FA shopping spree. Get one or two of those who fit and with the two back to back very high draft pics they may suddenly become much better next year than we perceive they will be.

What free agents want to play in Minny willingly? Derrick Rose and Kirilenko are their biggest FA signings in the past decade. That doesn't change overnight and likely won't until they change cities. Even San Antonio has had trouble landing big FAs due to their location.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#7 » by shazam_guy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:00 pm

The Wolves should learn to play defense. Until then, they're not going to move up very far even with Cunningham. I agree with And1GS -- they'll look like a slightly more offensively-skilled version of the Kings.

It must be tearing at Luke Walton's soul to watch that team play defense sometimes.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#8 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:26 pm

Just did an Edith Piaf to add a poll to the thread. Enjoy.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#9 » by HiRez » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:33 pm

They won’t be a top team but they’ll be better We really want that #4-#5 pick this year. Or trade it. Sticky choice because if we wait until the pick resolves there’s a good chance the value drops even though theoretically it could be top 3 in 2022.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#10 » by TB » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:37 pm

We'd just hope they are a bottom 9 team, which i think they would be. That gives us a 20% chance (at worst) to a 52% chance (at best) of hitting the lotto and getting a top 4 pick. Not to mention the chance at a top 3, which we don't have this year.

It's still a great asset even if we don't get the 4/5 this year. I just like the idea of getting it now when we know it likely means Jaylen Green or Kuminga, vs having to spend all year rooting for ping pong balls again.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#11 » by donkeylips » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:38 pm

7-10
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#12 » by WESCO » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:37 am

The more minutes D-Lo gets, the higher the pick.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,800

Post#13 » by floppymoose » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:16 pm

Yeah... heavy DLo or trading KAT both possibilities. Either of those means a great pick.

Return to Golden State Warriors