ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the Warriors target Blake Griffin in the off-season?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Should the Warriors target Blake Griffin in the off-season? 

Post#1 » by WarriorGM » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:12 pm

I don't know the situation with cap space, but I presume the Dubs will probably need to look at signing some vets to play with Steph, Klay, and Draymond. Would it make sense to target Blake Griffin? I'm not sure if he can play center or if he'd fill a need, but if I'm not mistaken he'll be an unrestricted free agent and his salary with the Nets was pretty low. He's an experienced star veteran who can pass.

Could anyone here see him being an improvement on Draymond? Would people here even consider taking him on or is there still animosity towards him due from the Clippers years? I'm thinking him winning a ring with Steph would be a fun way of rubbing things further into Chris Paul's face. Thoughts?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Should the Warriors target Blake Griffin in the off-season? 

Post#2 » by Mylie10 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:48 pm

No way bruv
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
”
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#3 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:43 pm

No. Another case where NAME < actual player talent.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#4 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:43 pm

...actually...let me say that if Warriors could get him on the cheap and he is willing to be a bench scorer....yes.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,378

Post#5 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:48 pm

Please don't give me more reasons to stop following the team.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#6 » by and1GS » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:11 pm

Asking the tough question everyone is afraid to ask: "Could anyone here see him being an improvement on Draymond?"

The answer is an emphatic no.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#7 » by shazam_guy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:00 pm

Oh, please, not this again. Blake is done, done, done. He actually made the sports news for dunking the other day because it was his first dunk in two years. He moves like Fred Sanford. And someone wants to use a roster spot on him?
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#8 » by cdubbz » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:26 pm

Yes if for the minimum.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#9 » by Chupchup » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:28 pm

I don't see where they can find the money. We have Wiseman + potentially 2 more 1st round picks with guaranteed contracts next season. Even if Oubre walks for nothing, we'll still be way over the lux tax line.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/cap/2021/
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#10 » by Old_Blue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:32 pm

This thread is a complete waste of prime internet real estate.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#11 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:24 am

God no.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#12 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:35 am

I don't know about animosity from his Clippers years. I mostly have animosity towards players that aren't good anymore.

And could he be an improvement on Draymond? This really makes me wonder if this thread is even serious, or is trying to be funny.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#13 » by Mylie10 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:51 am

Just heard the Celtics might be waiving Mo Wagner.....I’d grab him in a heartbeat
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
”
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#14 » by WarriorGM » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:01 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:I don't know about animosity from his Clippers years. I mostly have animosity towards players that aren't good anymore.

And could he be an improvement on Draymond? This really makes me wonder if this thread is even serious, or is trying to be funny.

I haven't seen him play recently and that is part of the reason I'm soliciting opinions on the matter. Thank you for giving a reason for why you are against.

Still I wonder if his reported demise is being exaggerated and overblown. He led the Pistons to the playoffs just two years ago and I remember Blake had a 50-point game which Steph overshadowed by having his own in 3 quarters the next night. Having dragged those Pistons to the playoffs I could imagine Blake being physically and mentally exhausted and feeling he'd done for the team all he could and mentally checking out the next year and moving on in this one.

If Blake's stock was high he probably wouldn't be available to the Warriors. It's precisely because Blake signed on with the Nets for what appears to be 1.23M (veteran minimum?) and looks like a potential bargain that I'm intrigued.

On whether he could be an improvement on Draymond, Blake led a team to the playoffs on his own. Draymond without Steph and Klay on the other hand...do we really need to get into it? Even if you think Draymond is far better, he could probably use some help and someone to take some minutes to prevent him from getting battered throughout the year. Blake is in the same situation. As I see it they would complement each other. You need more defense? Draymond. You need more offense? Blake. I don't want to force Wiseman into the lineup for long stretches until he is ready to play. Wiseman should probably be brought along more like Jones and Bell were but played a little more.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 763

Post#15 » by jaymo123 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:49 pm

As a fourth option and for the vet minimum, sure. He would be an upgrade over EP off the bench, could close with Dray, Steph, Wiggins, and Klay over Looney or Wiseman depending on lineups and his willingness to play D. It all depends on what his mindset is, especially after playing with the Nets. If they win a title, I could see him looking for a team that offers him more money and playing time.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#16 » by shazam_guy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:50 pm

So without having seen him play lately, you're suggesting Griffin might be better than Draymond because he led his team to the playoffs two years ago? That's fourteen seasons in Blake's-knees-years.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#17 » by WarriorGM » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:05 pm

shazam_guy wrote:So without having seen him play lately, you're suggesting Griffin might be better than Draymond because he led his team to the playoffs two years ago? That's fourteen seasons in Blake's-knees-years.

Uh, yes? I've said where I'm coming from and what I see from this perspective. If you see something that should supersede it, great. But the belligerence coming from your direction is bound to preclude opportunities that can be taken advantage of.

Griffin seems to be playing okay with the Nets. Even with shot knees it seems there are still some numbers he can put up that are higher than Draymond's. As long as he doesn't break down I don't see why he couldn't be a useful addition to the team next year. For me he's a better bet than DeMarcus Cousins was in 2019.

What I find especially promising about the idea is that Blake has a name—admitted in one of the earlier posts even in the midst of criticizing him. That can be harnessed to create buzz to entice other veterans—and there is a chance it could be had for a bargain. In his situation Blake might really appreciate an organization calling to express interest. A little flattery here, a willingness to pay a slight premium on what he might get on the open market there, and voila the team is being talked about as a contender that is going for it.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#18 » by Money_ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:27 pm

Not even in his "prime".... no way.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#19 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:41 am

Money_ wrote:Not even in his "prime".... no way.

Well this just sounds reactionary. I wonder what the cross section of people here recoiling at the thought of Blake joining are the same people that wouldn't give the time of day to LaMelo because of his dad?
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#20 » by Impuniti » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:17 am

Is it with the min? Obviously yes. Otherwise, team needs another playmaker and something resembling consistent shooting.

Return to Golden State Warriors