ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the Warriors target Blake Griffin in the off-season?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Re: Should the Warriors target Blake Griffin in the off-season? 

Post#21 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 am

ew, no, Blake Griffin type player is the last thing this team needs, we need guards/wings. if we go into next season with Poole as our #3 guard that'll be a problem (especially considering Klay will be limited for the majority of the season).
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#22 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:51 am

clyde21 wrote:ew, no, Blake Griffin type player is the last thing this team needs, we need guards/wings. if we go into next season with Poole as our #3 guard that'll be a problem (especially considering Klay will be limited for the majority of the season).

Sure wings are an obvious need—especially in this league—but they are in demand. The Dubs last time they went to market got Oubre, 449th in RPM at the time (Blake was 202nd), who currently has a salary of $14.4 million ($82.4 million after luxury tax) and it was thought of as a reasonable acquisition. In hindsight the team might have been better off last year not getting Oubre or anyone at all for that matter. If the front office approaches the market with the mindset of any ordinary team I don't know if they're going to get much better. They need to be more creative.

Who would you propose as targets? How do you propose to convince them to join?
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#23 » by Money_ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:40 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Money_ wrote:Not even in his "prime".... no way.

Well this just sounds reactionary. I wonder what the cross section of people here recoiling at the thought of Blake joining are the same people that wouldn't give the time of day to LaMelo because of his dad?

Ha! Ever since Lonzo got traded to New Orleans I haven't seen nor heard from his pops. So he's a non factor.

I've never liked Blake Griffin's game, he relied too much on his size and athleticism and never expanded upon that. At least 25 other players I would pursue before considering Blake. I mean I guess there is some kind of slow low rent David Lee off the bench kind of role for him but I would be inclined to pass.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#24 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Ignoring the idea of the Warriors picking up Blake, I just noticed a really weird stat about him. His career high in rebounds was... his rookie year. That's odd. His second best year was... his 2nd year. By quite a bit, really. Those first two years he averaged 12.1 and 10.9 rebounds. Since then, the most he's averaged was 9.5 in 2013.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#25 » by shazam_guy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:58 pm

Blake moved farther away from the paint nearly each year of his career so far, from what I've seen. A bit like Joe Smith that way, although Smith never had Griffin's size and physical gifts. Perhaps his body was just breaking down. It's tough to be a long-term banger in the NBA.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#26 » by Sleepy51 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:51 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Ignoring the idea of the Warriors picking up Blake, I just noticed a really weird stat about him. His career high in rebounds was... his rookie year. That's odd. His second best year was... his 2nd year. By quite a bit, really. Those first two years he averaged 12.1 and 10.9 rebounds. Since then, the most he's averaged was 9.5 in 2013.

It looks like DeAndre went from single digit to double digit rebound averages at that same time. If I had to guess, I'd say that in addition to Blake moving out of offensive rebounding position as he depended more on his jumpshot, also DeAndre took over the role of "David Lee Memorial Uncontested Rebound Collector"

The guys who get paid to score really don't need the extra rebounds for incentives and their next contracts etc. There is an unspoken agreement within the fraternity that players who are tasked with Defense and rebounding as their primary duties (and aren't going to be given the touches to get paid off of scoring) be allowed to collect the freebie rebounds that can contribute to a better paycheck based on that as a measurable for their core competency. There's a lot of this little stuff that goes on to help each other succeed. A lot more of it happens on teams that aren't winning anything but it still happens on good teams over the course of the 40 something regular season games that don't really matter.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#27 » by FNQ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:50 am

With what, a BB rifle? I'd watch that
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#28 » by shazam_guy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 am

Blake would shrug off anything that wasn't major caliber like a rhino ignoring mosquitoes.

Return to Golden State Warriors