ImageImageImageImageImage

Other than loyalty, what is there to keep Steph with the Warriors?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Other than loyalty, what is there to keep Steph with the Warriors? 

Post#1 » by Old_Blue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:14 pm

With Steph's contract expiring in a year, the question lingers like an elephant in the room...What is keeping him here? The team is undeniably atrocious when he's not on the court. He's expending a tremendous amount of energy just to keep us somewhat afloat. Next year, Klay will be coming off back to back major injuries. Wiseman is looking like a wasted draft pick. If the 2021-2022 season is anything like this season, would it not be reasonable for Steph to say "I've given you the best 13 seasons of my life, but I've got just so much left in the tank and in order to win two or three more titles, I've got to move on." As fans, we love the guy. Our own greedy self-interest drives us to want him to remain with the Warriors. But, what really are we offering in return? Cheers aren't championship rings. Make an argument for him to stay...because the more I think about it, the more I could see Steph walking away.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Re: Other than loyalty, what is there to keep Steph with the Warriors? 

Post#2 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:18 pm

Jesus. Tell him God has a plan and he wouldn’t have put you on a We Got Suck team unless there was a purpose.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Post#3 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:43 pm

It's up for debate depending which person and team you ask: LEGACY.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#4 » by xdrta+ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:17 pm

Money?
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#5 » by Old_Blue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:40 pm

xdrta+ wrote:Money?

This time next year, Steph will be 34. The Warriors can offer him a five year deal covering him through age 39. Another team can offer him a four deal deal covering him through age 38. For a guy with as much cash as he has, will money really be priority #1? Also, he might not even want to play through to age 39.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,561

Post#6 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:37 pm

Old_Blue wrote:

This time next year, Steph will be 34. The Warriors can offer him a five year deal covering him through age 39. Another team can offer him a four deal deal covering him through age 38. For a guy with as much cash as he has, will money really be priority #1? Also, he might not even want to play through to age 39.

I guess if you dismiss every actual answer, yeah, maybe there isn't anything else to keep him here.

He likes it here. He likes his teammates. He likes his coach. We can pay him more money. He has ownership that will pay whatever the rules allow to make the team better. A bunch of impatient fans think Wiseman is already a wasted pick. What else do you want?

Unless he starts reading some of the posts on this board, I strongly suspect he stays.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,251

Post#7 » by Onus » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:39 pm

It'll be all the sweeter when he takes us to another championship
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#8 » by HiRez » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:48 pm

I think Steph will stay if it’s at all possible. But they cannot field another trash team around him and expect he won’t start looking around (even if casually). Just having Klay back is not enough, even if he’s fully recovered. Steph is looking to his legacy now and he rightfully wants another chip or two. Right now this team, with Klay, is good but not a contender.

Maybe shoring up the bench with actual NBA players instead of fringe G-Leaguers would help but bringing in that 3rd star (or 4th if you’re counting Draymond) is the most obvious way to make it happen. So I do look to a major deal happening. If they can keep Wiseman (whose trade value is low now) and give out Wiggins plus both picks, and maybe Paschall, it’s worth it for the right piece. The goal should be just to prevent Steph from constantly being defended by 2-3 guys, the rest will take care of itself.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#9 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:57 pm

Inertia.

If he starts getting bothered though by all the attention he is receiving because the front office cannot even field an average level team around him that same inertia might carry him out.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#10 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:08 pm

What I most remember about him was during the playoffs, Zaza made a mistake on some assignment and Steph was yelling at him seriously pissed. He wants to play at the highest level and he wants his teammates to play at that level of intensity and focus. This year I don't think he cares about his teammates talent level just as long as they play hard, play right, and focus. But there have been many boneheaded plays and lack of intensity.

Klay and Dray are similar to him, they want to win over anything else, the money are just side items to these guys. I don't think he would be happy just taking a retirement plan, so the front office shouldn't count on that. I think he would like to retire with Klay and Dray since they are brothers in arms but for that to happen they need to field a team that competes while he still can, otherwise just hanging around each other wouldn't be fun if they are not playing for something.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#11 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 pm

Didn't I just read that Curry talked to Nowitzki about staying with one franchise his whole career and how important that was to him?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#12 » by Mylie10 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:42 pm

I’m sick of the pandemic......it’s bleeding onto the board in heavy doses. Maybe we need to quarantine this place.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#13 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:49 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:Didn't I just read that Curry talked to Nowitzki about staying with one franchise his whole career and how important that was to him?

Steph's opinion is ultimately what matters of course but I think objectively what ended up happening to Nowitzki after their championship would tend to serve more as a warning. He didn't really get to seriously compete much more in deep playoffs runs after they finally won.

Nowitzki's situation is also fundamentally different from Curry's in terms of legacy. Curry will need to weigh the legacy impact of staying with one team against going for more championships. Curry has an opportunity to ascend into the very highest echelons of the basketball pantheon that Nowitzki didn't.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#14 » by sonnyhill » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:59 pm

Another way to ask the original question "Other than loyalty, what is there to keep Steph with the Warriors" would be to ask "Other than box office and highlight reel, what reason do the Warriors have for not trading Steph for a haul of draft picks and young talent?" Unless Myers and the Front Office can bring in another superstar to match with Steph, how is a team with a returning-from-two-season-ending-injuries Klay, a rapidly aging and skills-diminishing Draymond (still, sentimentally, my favorite player on the roster), an overpaid Wiggins, and a bunch of unproven youngsters going to compete for championships?

I would rather see the front office exhibit boldness with a forward-looking plan than be satisfied with holding onto entertaining mediocrity.

Steph may, however, be happy in his current role as our "OKC Westbrook/Houston Harden" and want to re-sign for a max contract extension.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#15 » by and1GS » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:14 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:

I guess if you dismiss every actual answer, yeah, maybe there isn't anything else to keep him here.

Was about to say the same thing. You can't ask for reasons then dismiss every reason.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#16 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:23 am

Klay. If Klay continues to play at a high level...I don't see them ever wanting to not be the Splash Brothers.

Klay is the perfect teammate...quiet....but just as competitive. And there is no player in the NBA that Curry would consider his equal as a shooter.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#17 » by DevinVassell » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:43 am

Some people bounce when they hit a little adversity and some people relish in it.... anyway, somebody let me know if Vegas puts up odds on Steph leaving the Warriors and I'll be all over it.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#18 » by zimpy27 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:58 am

It's a fair and legitimate question that OP asked and there are some fair and legitimate reasons in responses.

Curry will stay with GSW but the FO seem to be doing everything in their power to bungle this. He's balling at MVP and emphasis seems to be on a half rebuild around young athletic guys with low IQ.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 426

Post#19 » by superunknown » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am

sonnyhill wrote:
Steph may, however, be happy in his current role as our "OKC Westbrook/Houston Harden" and want to re-sign for a max contract extension.

well, in the end both westbrook and harden demanded a trade....
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#20 » by Money_ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Yes? How can I help you?

:lol:

Return to Golden State Warriors